(Topic ID: 4866)

Does anyone actually NOT disable the ball saver post on Shrek/Family Guy?

By RDReynolds

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Collin
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

I've found that if you don't, ball times last forever. If it's turned off, the game is quite challenging and a LOT of fun. Am I missing something here? Is there a way to make it really hard to activate the post?

#2 12 years ago

When I first saw it on location I noticed several had it on and they've gradually evolved to not having it on as players have become better. Also, there are some that seemed to be set up really mean, like it was shorter somehow, so relying on it was very risky. Could have all been in my head though.

#3 12 years ago

If I could set it up to be on after several Pinocchio shots, and only be up for say, 5 seconds, I would totally do that. Just wasn't sure how that set up and was curious if anyone had done this...

#4 12 years ago

I like how the same kind of thing in my Medusa (Shield of the Gods) can only be used so many times a game and then it's disabled. It is spaced well though and sometimes you would have been better off not using it if your timing is off.

#5 12 years ago

I dunno, I use the ball saver and I think the game is challenging. The mini wizard mode, TV Wizard mode isn't hard to get to. The thing is, the points you earn there depends on how you do during the TV modes.

Also, I've never even been to Sperm Attack. How often do you make it to Sperm Attack with the post active? Maybe you have a strategy I don't know about.

#6 12 years ago

On Shrek you can adjust the ball saver post time down to 5 seconds in the Feature adjustments #20. Feature setting #22 allows you to disable the post totally. Nothing allows you to make the post harder to raise though.

I leave mine switched on, as if you let the ball rest on the flipper and the side of the post when raised (as long as the table is levelled correctly), it sits just right to allow you to either shoot the Puss In Boots/Chris shot, or the Gingy/Lois shot depending on which side of the post the ball sits. Very handy if you have a mode running with jackpot shots lit!

#7 12 years ago

Ok, update! I actually solved the issue with my Shrek randomly not detecting the end of ball, and bizarrely I can NOW see the point of having the ball saver post running!

Basically, what was happening on my Shrek is for some reason, it not only not detect eob, but the timers on the game also ran really, REALLY slow. For instance, a 30 second timer may take 3 minutes (no joke!) to count down. So when I had the ball saver running (which also has a timer), it would be up FOREVER. Now that the timers are running properly, the post is only up for a handful of seconds instead of minutes. It's literally like playing a brand new game, and I love it more than ever before!

Oh, and the fix? I completely swapped out the ball trough mech (complete with all the switches, etc.) with the one from my POTC. The weird thing is that I have not seen the issues come over to the POTC. The balls launch fine, and the countdown timers appear to be ok as well. The very helpful staff at Stern (and they have been great, no lie) think it may be a bad opto, but it tests out fine on both machines. Regardless, I'll be very interested if they do show up there eventually, but for now, I am playing Shrek and absolutely loving it.

1 year later
#8 11 years ago

What usually gets the center post to pop? On my fgy the single death target never pops up in a game unless I get it through the clam... I went though the adjustments and the 1 drop is on and the center post is on... And in diagnostics the death single drop will pop up, but it has never in a game... Even when it shows lit directly underneath

#9 11 years ago

Found the problem for anyone else who might stumble across this... its the opto board (pcb slotted X1). You can test to see if its bad by going into your switches diagnostics and shorting the tan/black and the green/brown your #9 on the diag menu will show. Thanks to Pat at Stern for this info!

1 month later
#10 10 years ago

There's a Family Guy on location at a laundromat near me that has it enabled. I would prefer it were off even though it doesn't last very long, it just feels like its in the way to me.

There have also been a couple times when it raised just as a ball was passing over it and hit the glass really hard, which always draws dirty looks from the attendant.

All in all it just seems like a nuisance.

#11 10 years ago

I just played a Family Guy on location, and actually enjoyed that feature being on there. That said, it was my first time playing the game, and it seemed like it was staying up for way the hell too long - we thought it had broken and gotten stuck up a couple times.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Commack, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saugerties, NY
5,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Walton, KY
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-anyone-actually-not-disable-the-ball-saver-post-on-shrekfamily-guy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.