Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by gdonovan
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

display driver (resized).png
    speaker panel (resized).png
    pcbs (resized).png
    FP (resized).png
    761f5e63bd1bd9a464d13cb685f349f2799d7ab5 (resized).jpg
    0348ef875fadd73c585779dd72b780ceb82911fc (resized).jpg
    b88db8b62b6b5040f8ed9f8db28f2f65fb6e05e0 (resized).jpg
    37538611ef2d21c6c1a4a15d76db55c85fc13af6 (resized).jpg
    #1 2 years ago

I was wondering if anybody swapped different playfields in the same era cabinet. For example, using a complete EBD playfield and running it in a Fathom cabinet, and storing the Fathom PF until you wanted to play fathom again.

You could either swap -35 mpu's (or roms) or, use an Altek or Weebly and change the DIP switches. Then you could either swap S&T boards, or swap roms in the S&T as well. as the mpu if you did not have a Altek or Weebly.

I wasn't sure if anybody tried this yet. Seems like a workable idea to play multiple tables in the same cabinet for someone with limited space. I realize this is wonky in that you are losing the artistic feel of the cabinet, but you could also swap back glasses...

just a goofy idea I thought of and wondered if anybody has done it.

Thanks, mk

#2 2 years ago

I'm currently repairing a Mata Hari playfield and will be dropping it in my Supersonic cabinet (while I store the Supersonic playfield). It gives us another machine to play without doubling the space. I dont have a MH backglass, but that isn't super important right now. I did pickup chimes over the last few months so it will have the chimes that go with the MH.

#3 2 years ago

Nice! So, Mata Hari is -17, and Supersonic is -35. How were you handling the MPU? Are you going to use Altek or Weebly?

#4 2 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/seawitch-from-scratch-allentown-edition

37538611ef2d21c6c1a4a15d76db55c85fc13af6 (resized).jpg37538611ef2d21c6c1a4a15d76db55c85fc13af6 (resized).jpgb88db8b62b6b5040f8ed9f8db28f2f65fb6e05e0 (resized).jpgb88db8b62b6b5040f8ed9f8db28f2f65fb6e05e0 (resized).jpg
    #5 2 years ago
    Quoted from mkdud:

I was wondering if anybody swapped different playfields in the same era cabinet. For example, using a complete EBD playfield and running it in a Fathom cabinet, and storing the Fathom PF until you wanted to play fathom again.
    You could either swap -35 mpu's (or roms) or, use an Altek or Weebly and change the DIP switches. Then you could either swap S&T boards, or swap roms in the S&T as well. as the mpu if you did not have a Altek or Weebly.
    I wasn't sure if anybody tried this yet. Seems like a workable idea to play multiple tables in the same cabinet for someone with limited space. I realize this is wonky in that you are losing the artistic feel of the cabinet, but you could also swap back glasses...
    just a goofy idea I thought of and wondered if anybody has done it.
    Thanks, mk

Wiring can be very tricky on some titles.

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from mkdud:

Nice! So, Mata Hari is -17, and Supersonic is -35. How were you handling the MPU? Are you going to use Altek or Weebly?

I have a MPU for Mata Hari. Eventually, I would like to purchase a Weebly so I don't have to switch as many cables.

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Wiring can be very tricky on some titles.

Really cool cabinet. How did you do the Bally / Stern cabinet art? Was this graphics?

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from mkdud:

Really cool cabinet. How did you do the Bally / Stern cabinet art? Was this graphics?

It's all explained in the post with key posts marked.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/seawitch-from-scratch-allentown-edition/page/14#post-6577702

Worked on in Inkscape & Photoshop and then exported to Silhouette Cameo 4 Pro cutter.

I can run any Bally or Stern standard playfield made in the -17, -35, 100 or 200 era. Setup for 5 different sound boards and a chime box for good measure.

And a Flash Gordon strobe.
    0348ef875fadd73c585779dd72b780ceb82911fc (resized).jpg0348ef875fadd73c585779dd72b780ceb82911fc (resized).jpg

761f5e63bd1bd9a464d13cb685f349f2799d7ab5 (resized).jpg761f5e63bd1bd9a464d13cb685f349f2799d7ab5 (resized).jpg
    #9 2 years ago

Wow, that is really awesome! Great job! What a great project and story! If I actually had enough extra time to fully explore Pinside, I probably would have followed this as you were building it.

#10 2 years ago

I am doing this but with a Williams System 3-6 set up. The base cabinet is a Flash. I have retrofitted an insert and reproduced speaker panel from a Firepower 2. I am using the Pinball Technologies NW7 MPU/Driver/sound all in one pcb and a power supply(Xpin). All I have to do is flip a few dip switches and swap the playfield. I have the speaker panel set up with a pair of 6x9s due to the stereo capability of the NW7. I also have it plugged up to a powered sub. Yes, the original sounds are all mono but thats where I get to play around with the Pinsound-like sound customization you can do with the NW7. You can add your own sounds as well have play songs in the background. Just plug the microSD into your computer and swap sound files. I haven't modified any sounds just yet. I did turn off the background sounds on Firepower and put in the main TNA track once. Good times, especially with the subwoofer. I also wired up a chime unit in the bottom. I have four playfields for it- Firepower(hardtop restore with drop targets), Hot Tip, Flash, and Gorgar(Hardtop restore coming soon). I just need to do a few final touches on the light insert in the backbox. Lastly I need a custom backglass. That's why I have been waiting to wire up the player number light sockets. I had to do some custom wiring to get a System 3-6 display setup to fit on a System 7 insert. It has been a challenging but rewarding project.

FP (resized).pngFP (resized).pngdisplay driver (resized).pngdisplay driver (resized).pngpcbs (resized).pngpcbs (resized).pngspeaker panel (resized).pngspeaker panel (resized).png
    #11 2 years ago

BTW, Pinball Technologies also makes a MPU/sound pcb for all of the Bally and Stern early SS games which is called the NB2. It has the same Multigame and sound swapping options as the NW7. Unfortunately, they are out of stock on the NB2 and maybe the NW7 as well. This is due to chip shortages. They will hopefully be back in production towards the end of the year.

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from Clytor:

BTW, Pinball Technologies also makes a MPU/sound pcb for all of the Bally and Stern early SS games which is called the NB2. It has the same Multigame and sound swapping options as the NW7. Unfortunately, they are out of stock on the NB2 and maybe the NW7 as well. This is due to chip shortages. They will hopefully be back in production towards the end of the year.

I have run across that before but forgot about it, very cool.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-anybody-run-an-early-ss-multicab and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.