• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Elvis_012.jpg
King_#2.jpg
King_#1.jpg

There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

It seems like this game never comes up in conversation. I'm guessing they didn't make very many of them. I've played it a few times and thought it was interesting, but nothing special. I happen to really like Elvis's music, so the theme is a plus for me. I'm curious to know what others think.

#2 10 years ago

I don't hate it...the dancing Elvis figure is actually pretty neat....only played 2-3 games on it and was bored. I would walk upto it and play it again, unless there are better pins next to it.

#3 10 years ago

I enjoy this game - got the encore once it was a special day I remember it well! Cool feature to end the game

#4 10 years ago

I played it once on location and actually had a lot of fun. At that time, I had only started getting into pinball for a few weeks so I don't know if my experience was skewed at all, but I liked it.

That same night I played a TF:LE which I was not all that into, but to be honest there were a few things wrong with it which was a little frustrating.

So, in my vast experience of a handful of games, I liked it.

#5 10 years ago

Is it game from the king Steeve Ritchie??

#6 10 years ago

i actually really like the game - i love the hound dog mode - it can be an easy game - so you have to set it up to be difficult.

the only thing i hate about it is the flippers are early choppy sterns.

thanks ed

#7 10 years ago

I've met a few people that really like it. I can't take the theme, although the overall look and feel is even worse.

#8 10 years ago

I think it's one of Stern's more unique offerings. Really enjoy how the ramps interact with the offset upper playfield. Not a big fan of Elvis, but I definitely enjoy the game.

Later,
EV

#9 10 years ago

I bought an elvis Gold at a silent auction. It lasted about 6 months in my collection. I don't care for Elvis' music that much, but it didn't bother me in the game. The houndog on the other hand, if I had to hear that one more time, I was going to take a sledgehammer to him...

Fun game, I like the skillshot and the upper magnet in front of the flipper. The artwork is okay, and the sounds aren't bad if not repetitive.

#10 10 years ago

I liked it a lot, great music and lots of hot pink in the playfield. The translite was a little weak but not horrible. I enjoyed having one very much. I would say forget it if you're not at least a little bit of an Elvis fan.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I've met a few people that really like it.

Quoted from EchoVictor:

I think it's one of Stern's more unique offerings.

Yep that's the "few people" I know

#12 10 years ago

I like it. I was looking for one at one time. There is one at my local chuck-e-cheese that I get to play about once a year, its getting wore out now.

#13 10 years ago

Elvis is a pretty cool game. I owned one for a while... The layout is very similar to ACDC and it's got a great upper playfield. I also dug the theme, the artwork and the music. Ultimately I sold it because the software wasn't keeping me interested in playing. Only a single wizard mode and no mini wizard modes (unless you count Encore) and the modes were very basic (hit the same things over and over) and there wasn't really any stacking or combo opportunities. If the rule-set was done by Keefer or Lyman the game would have been great but Lonnie Ropp rule-sets don't really do it for me... With that being said the Wizard mode "Graceland" was really cool but then I also heard it was Keith's contribution to the game along with the DDR style video mode.

#14 10 years ago

I don't like my Elvis-I love it. I had several offers to buy it from me and I still could not come to sell it. The playfield layout is real unique and the upper playfield with upper flipper is a great shot trying to hit heartbreak hotel. It took some practice and timing to finally get it down. Having four flippers is really awesome and magnet stop for loop is great with the King rooting for you to complete as many consecutive loops as possible. The art is done by Jerry Vanderstelt and reminds me of the beautiful art also done on Wheel of Fortune. Not to mention that Elvis was designed by the King himself-Steve Ritchie-LOL(;

King_#1.jpgKing_#1.jpg King_#2.jpgKing_#2.jpg

#15 10 years ago

I like the game. It is under rated in my mind.

#16 10 years ago

To me it comes across as one of those Sterns that just look and feel cheap and I have a hard time getting past that.

#17 10 years ago

I know a few pinheads that like Elvis very much.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

To me it comes across as one of those Sterns that just look and feel cheap and I have a hard time getting past that.

Doesn't look cheap to me. Metal ramps. Elvis toy blows away Mick on a stick from TRS.

#19 10 years ago

I'm not an Elvis fan at all, but I really like the game.

#20 10 years ago

2 Metal Ramps, upper playfield, drop targets (when working as usually a problem on this game in wild) game has great flow and fun to play. Actually its is a friendly game and not a drainer like other Sterns. Has more shots than AC/DC I think.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from Napabar:

Doesn't look cheap to me. Metal ramps. Elvis toy blows away Mick on a stick from TRS.

While it may not technically be cheap (I'm sure it's Bill Of Materials isn't uncharactaristically low), the poor presentation is what makes it look and feel cheap to me.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from Napabar:

Elvis toy blows away Mick on a stick from TRS.

Quite an achievement.

#23 10 years ago

I love this game and Elvis. The music is very good, but my playlist would have been a bit different.

One of the big problems with Elvis is that most of the route machines play terribly because they are not maintained. I have never played an Elvis in the wild which was running properly.

If I could find a minty HUO gold at a reasonable price I would have a tough time turning it down.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

the poor presentation is what makes it look and feel cheap to me.

I think it is a work of art and one of Stern's best in terms of quality. The playfield is the old style that does not dimple all over, metal brass colored ramps-bling bling! It also is a great earner on location and holds up well.

#25 10 years ago

It's actually a really fun game. Solid layout, rules, good music. If it doesn't work well it's terrible ...but that can be said for any game, really. My initial experience with Elvis was bad routed machines - you could never make the ramps...upper flippers were always broken. But hey, it's a Steve Ritchie game - it had to have SOME merit!!! So - I got a really good price on a dirty beat routed one, and fully restored it & dialed it in...also added PBL's LOTR coils to the main 2 flippers. Man, what a difference! That game JAMMED...fast and fun. The playfield art in a well lit room is awful, but when lit by the game's natural lighting in a dark room it doesn't look as bad...the game has really good light shows & Multiball start sequences, so while you're playing, the bad art fades away somewhat. The Elvis toy's animation is synched to the music, which makes it fun to watch. He lifts his mic when he sings or speaks game instructions. At the end of the day the game got a bit easy for me...it's not one of those Ironman-kick-your-ass type games...but I call it a "good mood" game. There are certain games that are just fun, positive, happy experiences...upbeat, uplifting. Elvis falls in that category.

#26 10 years ago

Never played it, but would love to try it. Can't imagine a worse theme though. Even Thunderbirds looks more appealing over this

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Never played it, but would love to try it. Can't imagine a worse theme though. Even Thunderbirds looks more appealing over this

Why do you feel it's a bad theme? Elvis is one of the most iconic musicians with legions of die hard fans....everyone knows his music even if you're not a fan.

#28 10 years ago

It a fun pinball.I played it on location. Would like to own some day. I don't know if I will ever have enough room with out moving. That is not going to happen any time soon

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I think it is a work of art and one of Stern's best in terms of quality. The playfield is the old style that does not dimple all over, metal brass colored ramps-bling bling! It also is a great earner on location and holds up well.

The cabinet is nice but the playfield artwork is simply horrendous. It could have been some amazing authentic period artwork but instead they made it look like an amateur Elvis lookalike contest flyer.

#30 10 years ago

Just secured a nice HUO the other day. Have to go pick it up still.

#31 10 years ago

I like ELVIS and have an extra CC'ed PF for it for down the road.
Don't think ELVIS is going to leave the building.
Had Arcadeupkeep build this for me, I gave him the pinouts for the flashers.

#32 10 years ago

It took me awhile to find a nice one, but the wait was worth it. Its a fun game and all the guests love it. Granted, a proper selection of LEDs really made it much better. Especially using the frosted and colored ones in the GI lighting.
You don't really see that many of them around...too bad.

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It's actually a really fun game. Solid layout, rules, good music. If it doesn't work well it's terrible ...but that can be said for any game, really. My initial experience with Elvis was bad routed machines - you could never make the ramps...upper flippers were always broken. But hey, it's a Steve Ritchie game - it had to have SOME merit!!! So - I got a really good price on a dirty beat routed one, and fully restored it & dialed it in...also added PBL's LOTR coils to the main 2 flippers. Man, what a difference! That game JAMMED...fast and fun. The playfield art in a well lit room is awful, but when lit by the game's natural lighting in a dark room it doesn't look as bad...the game has really good light shows & Multiball start sequences, so while you're playing, the bad art fades away somewhat. The Elvis toy's animation is synched to the music, which makes it fun to watch. He lifts his mic when he sings or speaks game instructions. At the end of the day the game got a bit easy for me...it's not one of those Ironman-kick-your-ass type games...but I call it a "good mood" game. There are certain games that are just fun, positive, happy experiences...upbeat, uplifting. Elvis falls in that category.

I can't believe Stern didn't raise Elvis from the dead to do the voice work.

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

I can't believe Stern didn't raise Elvis from the dead to do the voice work.

The Elvis voice is well done. Played by one actor. Your TF is gone, you don't have to blindly (and deafly) defend it anymore.

#36 10 years ago

Had this game for awhile and loved it.Thought it was one of Stern's better games.Would like to have one again.

#37 10 years ago

I have rarely met a bigger Elvis fan than I am. HUGE fan and have been since I was around 8 years old. Really thought Elvis would be my first DMD. Until I played it. Elvis is a pin I can honestly say disappoints me. The "band warm up" music - along with all the "brass" bits - which totally predominates, sounds cheesy. Just horrible to hear over and over in a game about an artist known for his inimitable style and awesome voice.

The voice actor is ok...the callouts are truly nothing special. Way too much emphasis on the early hits for modes and the like. Those songs have almost become cliche, which is how the pin feels. It would be more interesting as a "Sha-Na-Na" pin...with a Bowzer bash toy,as cheesy as the music is integrated with this pin. Playfield art is not appealing and the layout leaves me flat.

Steve Ritchie said he hated working on this game and never wanted to do it. It shows.

#38 10 years ago

I really really dont like Elvis the singer, only one song I like and its not on the pinball machine.
"A little less conversation and a little bit more action please" -- I have brought it to Steve's attention, more than once.

Elvis the pinball machine is another story, the term " Sterns best 3 pinball machines " gets thrown around a lot on this board when talking about other Stern games. I will use it when talking about Elvis... it is a ton of fun with a great layout and some great Fun Shots. Upper playfield is one of my favorites... simple in design, tough and extremely rewarding when well executed. There is nothing I would change layout wise on this game. Encore mode is the cherry on top, perfect.
I wish WOZ would of taken some things from this layout.
Its a challenge making a Hater into a Lover, and Steve and Lonnie delivered when it came to Elvis.

For additional fun, do the Korn Guitar Hero mod, http://www.gamezone.com/originals/2011/09/27/guitar_hero_mods_tourneys_and_more_at_the_michigan_pinball_expo

I brought it to the Mich Expo twice and it makes the game very interesting when you get the hang of it.

Scott
Detroit Pinball

#39 10 years ago

Steve Ritchie said he hated working on this game and never wanted to do it

Thats interesting, I have never heard or read this before from Steve (when I have talked to him) or any other source. I do know that Lonnie is a die hard Elvis fan.

Scott
Detroit Pinball

#40 10 years ago

It's very hard for me to give the game the time it needs - that ALL games need IMO - to know if I like it or not from a rules/playability perspective. The sound/music and art package are distasteful for me. Believe me, I'd love to love this pin.

#41 10 years ago

I talked to Steve quite a bit about ELVIS, The jog in the left ramp to slow the ball wasn't his idea and neither was closing off the 2nd exit off the MPF.
I have a broken ramp I am going to rework to the original design and I already changed the rubber to open the other exit, you just can't just do a bounce up to the flipper for HBH you have to go around for the backhand at the ramp.

#42 10 years ago

It was much better than I expected it to be. I can see why some people want one.

#43 10 years ago

I like the game. I have found a ton of these on location.

#44 10 years ago

I can't remember where I heard it...but I think it was from SR himself somewhere (quoted) ...that he loathed having to work on a pin where there wasn't a battle, or something intense that he could relate to. collecting hit records, etc. wasn't his bag. Lol. But it was his turn, and Gary wanted him to do it.

#45 10 years ago

I have a HUO - one of my favorite games. Never leaving.

#46 10 years ago

I can't remember where I heard it...but I think it was from SR himself somewhere (quoted) ...that he loathed having to work on a pin where there wasn't a battle, or something intense that he could relate to. collecting hit records, etc. wasn't his bag. Lol. But it was his turn, and Gary wanted him to do it.

So then why did he do AC/DC?

#47 10 years ago

I am not a fan of Elvis at all. However, the pinball was a lot more fun to play than I was expecting...

#48 10 years ago

I've had the game for several months now and I can understand and agree with most of the points that were made, both good and bad.

The one thing I really dislike is the video mode; it's the same boring thing every time. The only other thing that bothers me about the game is the out lanes, which are pretty much wide open and the ball seems to love them (although I find that to be the case with many Steve Richie games).

If I'm on my game and hitting the shots, then Elvis can be a blast. Getting to Graceland wizard mode is a very satisfying payoff. If I'm not on my game and my shots are off, it can get very frustrating very quickly, more so for me than most other games.

Way too much emphasis on the early hits for modes and the like. Those songs have almost become cliche, which is how the pin feels.

What should they have used, "In the Ghetto"?

#49 10 years ago

played it at a few auctions, they were in rough shape and lost my attention quickly and I thought I didn't like the machine...then I played tracelifters, like all his pins it was in pristine condition and I loved it...in a nutshell it sux whens its in bad shape and is great in great shape

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from Kurisu:

The one thing I really dislike is the video mode; it's the same boring thing every time.

Did you know you can change the difficulty of the video mode (Level 1, 2, 3) by pressing the flipper buttons before it begins? Sure, it's always the same song but Level 3 is more fun and challenging cuz there are more arrows and they move faster.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-anybody-like-elvis/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.