(Topic ID: 96573)

"Does any one know what the skill shot is on Surfer/Surf Champ?

By Mercury

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Can't figure what the skill shot is on Gottlieb's Surfer/Surf Champ...Any one know?

#2 9 years ago

I don't think that em
games had skill shots

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from mrgone:

I don't think that em
games had skill shots

Sure they did. Fireball, 4 Million BC

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from mrgone:

I don't think that em
games had skill shots

Yes there are Skill Shots in playing EM pins. However not on all EM games.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from Mercury:

Can't figure what the skill shot is on Gottlieb's Surfer/Surf Champ...Any one know?

I would go with, that left upper ball guide that gets the ball to the upper roll overs. On the plunge try to get the lit upper roll over.

#6 9 years ago

Darcy has it right. You want to get the lit rollover lane as that gets you two bonus instead of one for any of the unlit lanes.
On the Surf Champ I was playing this weekend it moved the light to the far left lane at the start of each ball.

#7 9 years ago

Soccer and Super Soccer also had a "skill shot". Roll over at the top lights special target. It must go down to the flippers without hitting anything and then you have a shot up to the top target to score it. Hit something and it goes off! Same for 300 and Top Score

#8 9 years ago

Yes, the lit lane gives two bonus instead of one for any other rollover. Hitting the spinner will cause the light to move from one lane to the next. For an EM, Surfer has a lot going for it. A skill shot and a bonus mulitplier.

#9 9 years ago

Thanks guys.

#10 9 years ago

A lot of EMs have a skill shot off the plunger. That's not real unusual.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

On the Surf Champ I was playing this weekend it moved the light to the far left lane at the start of each ball.

My Surf Champ won't start alternating the lit lanes without hitting the spinner first. Normal? Doesn't seem so if folks are saying the 'lit' lane is a skill shot off the plunger.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

My Surf Champ won't start alternating the lit lanes without hitting the spinner first. Normal? Doesn't seem so if folks are saying the 'lit' lane is a skill shot off the plunger.

What I saw was that the spinner is what moves the lit lane among the five lanes at the top of the playfield.

What we also noticed is that the stepper would reset to the far left lane at the beginning of each ball. If yours is not resetting to the left lane the switch that controls this may be stuck open or closed, whatever it uses to control this. I would expect to find that switch on the AS relay that controls which lane is lit. Probably on the bottom side of the playfield.

Resetting to a fixed point at the beginning of each ball for this type of stepper is not unusual. I have a Gottlieb Outer Space which has a 10 position spinner (and ten lamp positions) that resets to the same starting point at the beginning of each ball. On Outer Space every ten clicks of the spinner earns you a bonus.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

Soccer and Super Soccer also had a "skill shot". Roll over at the top lights special target. It must go down to the flippers without hitting anything and then you have a shot up to the top target to score it. Hit something and it goes off! Same for 300 and Top Score

One of the great EM Skill Shots.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Sure they did. Fireball, 4 Million BC

Right you are sir. I stand corrected. I gotta play more em's

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

What I saw was that the spinner is what moves the lit lane among the five lanes at the top of the playfield.
What we also noticed is that the stepper would reset to the far left lane at the beginning of each ball. If yours is not resetting to the left lane the switch that controls this may be stuck open or closed, whatever it uses to control this. I would expect to find that switch on the AS relay that controls which lane is lit. Probably on the bottom side of the playfield.
Resetting to a fixed point at the beginning of each ball for this type of stepper is not unusual. I have a Gottlieb Outer Space which has a 10 position spinner (and ten lamp positions) that resets to the same starting point at the beginning of each ball. On Outer Space every ten clicks of the spinner earns you a bonus.

OK, makes sense that this would be something to shoot for off the plunger. Mine stays unlit UNTIL the spinner is hit, then will cycle through. This is how every ball starts. I learned something today...that I have more issues. Question: in a situation like this...how would someone know (without seeing another game played)? By reading the schematic?

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

Some features operate differently depending on whether the machine is set to 3 balls (liberal) or 5 balls (conservative).

#17 9 years ago

I just watched 8 different videos of Surf Champ play. 3 acted like mine (had to hit spinner to start lighted roll overs). 3 had the top left roll over lit prior to plunge. 2 had #2 lights lit prior to plunge (wasn't on 3 ball).

Maybe a Surfer/ Surf Champ owner in the know could chime in on how this game is supposed to start. Thanks

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

Maybe a Surfer/ Surf Champ owner in the know could chime in on how this game is supposed to start. Thanks

The Surfer at PAPA starts with the left lane lit. However, that feed is pretty assy a lot of the time, so I don't really recommend going for it.

Quoted from CactusJack:

Actually, the thing that shuts off the special is "bonus advance," so you can hit a little bit. Also, that means it's far easier to get on an earlier ball (especially ball 1) than a later ball, since those games light up way more on the later balls for advances.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

Question: in a situation like this...how would someone know (without seeing another game played)? By reading the schematic?

Yes, in most cases, the schematic would explain how it "should" work.

In the case of Surf Champ, the advance unit is the KS relay (AS mini stepper). There is a leaf switch that rides on the cam labeled 1:5. This means, it is closed every 5 steps (or two positions out of the 10 in one revolution). The switch is fed by a switch on the O (Outhole) relay and a pulse switch off motor 1A.

So, when the ball falls in the outhole, it will step up to five times to get it to the home or starting position, which appears to be the far left roll over lane.

#20 9 years ago

On my surfer, the left lane is lit initially on each ball. The spinner advances the light across all five positions. This is the case on 5 ball play anyway...

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

Yes, in most cases, the schematic would explain how it "should" work.
In the case of Surf Champ, the advance unit is the KS relay (AS mini stepper). There is a leaf switch that rides on the cam labeled 1:5. This means, it is closed every 5 steps (or two positions out of the 10 in one revolution). The switch is fed by a switch on the O (Outhole) relay and a pulse switch off motor 1A.
So, when the ball falls in the outhole, it will step up to five times to get it to the home or starting position, which appears to be the far left roll over lane.

Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hoover, AL
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-any-one-know-what-the-skill-shot-is-on-surfersurf-champ and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.