Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 53 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 30 days ago by cp1610
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20221008_234655 (resized).jpg
    20221008_234949 (resized).jpg
    20221008_234913 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot (Oct 10, 2022 9_57_58 AM) (resized).png
    ballmer_peak (resized).png
    IMG_20221010_093341.gif
    There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 1 year ago

Is there a sweet-spot level of alcohol influence / intoxication that generally improves performance in pinball, arcade or other "e-sports"? Is there any science to backup what many of us suspect, that having a beer is for the greater good of pinball? Is it easier to get into a flow-state after a beer or two?

Serious question - I'm applying for an alcohol licence for my pinball arcade, and I plan to write a Host Responsibility Policy that discourages the consumption of alcohol beyond a point that is lower on the intoxication scale than a bar would aim for. Referencing some relevant studies might help my application to the local authorities.

#2 1 year ago

Idk about alcohol, but weed certainly does.

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinballShoppe:

Is there a sweet-spot level of alcohol influence / intoxication that generally improves performance in pinball, arcade or other "e-sports"? Is there any science to backup what many of us suspect, that having a beer is for the greater good of pinball? Is it easier to get into a flow-state after a beer or two?
    Serious question - I'm applying for an alcohol licence for my pinball arcade, and I plan to write a Host Responsibility Policy that discourages the consumption of alcohol beyond a point that is lower on the intoxication scale than a bar would aim for. Referencing some relevant studies might help my application to the local authorities.

Alcohol is a depressant- and even at pretty low levels impacts a person’s ability to operate a car. I dunno know… maybe at some super low amount the calming effect will more than offset the delayed reaction time.

Usually, increased performance is tied to stimulates… caffeine and other stuff. Back in the day, pro athletes popped diet pills for the ephedra to help give them an edge in reaction time.

#4 1 year ago

I have lager on tap here, 50 litre kegs. I enjoy playing more with a pint and play better.
    I would say up to a point though, 1 or 2 pints of 5% lager say and I’m buzzing playing great. More than 4 then the skills are dropping off.

Good luck.

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from Lostcause:

I have lager on tap here, 50 litre kegs. I enjoy playing more with a pint and play better.
    I would say up to a point though, 1 or 2 pints of 5% lager say and I’m buzzing playing great. More than 4 then the skills are dropping off.
    Good luck.

Kids dont try this at home This man is a bad influence. Drink Vimto instead

#6 1 year ago

I think alcohol greatly improves the gameplay of some titles like Hercules.

That said, most pins are good enough that alcohol isn’t really required to improve their gameplay.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from Lostcause:

Good luck.

It’s like walking on a razors edge.
    Just a tad too much and you’re falling.

One or two beers maximum.
    Three or more and it’s game over without any knocker heard.

#9 1 year ago

When I was in a bowling league years ago my game would improve after a beer or two so it certainly is possible.

#10 1 year ago

Yes, then no. Like others say, one or two drinks at most. We all know that alcohol impairs your judgment if you consume too much. You should hear some of the crazy things that my alcoholic friends believe

#11 1 year ago

No drinking… smoke a bowl, you’ll be good.

#12 1 year ago

I used to think I was better after 1-2 beers, but now I find it best to not drink at all.

Weed has a similar small window of a little may make you play better, but it’s a quick drop off after the sweet spot.

And if it’s a long competition, the best thing for me to play better all day is to sit down whenever I can.

#14 1 year ago

It’s a thin line. I’ll tend to play better with a beer or two, but I’ll end up getting to caught up in conversation and loose focus.

#16 1 year ago

Better? Idk... more fun? Yes...

#17 1 year ago

As is the case with golf, there is a bell curve

#18 1 year ago

No. Alcohol kills. Alcohol destroys bodies. Alcohol causes cancer.

#19 1 year ago

I am unable to get multi ball on Gorgar without alcohol...

#20 1 year ago

This needs to be a poll.

Alcohol absolutely improves my video game play, but I think it's a wash on my pinball play.

#21 1 year ago

Everything in moderation. Today I will be making arrangements on how to care for one of my great employees two kids while I pay for him to go into a rehab facility for two weeks. He is a great guy and wonderful at his job However every evening he drinks 1-2 bottles of Jack Daniel's. After 8:00pm he gets completely wasted and becomes someone else. I'm not hear to judge anyone and we all have our own vices but people should know alcohol just like other drugs can get out of control pretty quickly. Quick message to everyone have fun but take care of yourself and be healthy. Sorry for being the party pooper.

#22 1 year ago

For me acupuncture.

Walked up to IJ I play maybe once every few weeks and first game make it though all the modes normally I don’t come close.

#23 1 year ago

Under the influence of alcohol... even single ball games are multiballs.

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from timtim:

It’s a thin line.

This helps you play better for sure.

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mattyk:

As is the case with golf, there is a bell curve

This should be a key post.

2-3 beers to take the nerves off in a competitive situation has improved golf, pickleball, disc golf, and pinball for me. Won a pinball tourney last weekend based on the bell curve theory. However, keep drinking a bunch throughout the remainder of the tourney, expect last place. Scientific fact.

#26 1 year ago

Makes you care a lot less when you
    lose....
    Or if your a belligerent drunkard could cause a major beating of your game

IMG_20221010_093341.gifIMG_20221010_093341.gif
    #27 1 year ago

hasn't anyone here ever heard of the Ballmer curve

ballmer_peak (resized).pngballmer_peak (resized).png

there's absolutely a point where alcohol improves your ability, after which it drastically negatively affects it

maintaining that perfect level is an art form. my resting heart rate is in the high 60s to low 70s but it goes up to 130 when i flip competitively. breathing exercises help but so does a little central nervous system depressant (weed is not a depressant but can also help with the anxiety of competitive play)

guess what time league is on wednesdays?

Screenshot (Oct 10, 2022 9_57_58 AM) (resized).pngScreenshot (Oct 10, 2022 9_57_58 AM) (resized).png

#28 1 year ago

JeffZee

Funny, when I saw this post I thought of that, even copied the SAME link...then read all the posts, and here it is. You beat me to it. Was funny as hell and so true for so many people.

#30 1 year ago
    Quoted from Vimtoman:

Kids dont try this at home This man is a bad influence. Drink Vimto instead

I will remember that when you pop over, it’s on the Tesco delivery list

I had 8 pints the other night and didn’t dare go in the pinroom, you know something goes wrong and you just can’t help yourself and try to fix

#31 1 year ago
    Quoted from MaxIsDead:

No. Alcohol kills. Alcohol destroys bodies. Alcohol causes cancer.

I don't agree at all. Doc put me on a regiment of 2 drinks every day..wife 1 drink per day labs every 6 months..textbook so far for over 25yrs with him.

#32 1 year ago
    Quoted from Aniraf:

Idk about alcohol, but weed certainly does.

I dont know about that. The last couple times I tried this, I turned on the machine, stared at the lights, then got scared and ran upstairs.

#33 1 year ago

Does alcohol improve gameplay?

In general for me: Enjoyability - yes. Skills - not so much.

Is there a sweet-spot level of alcohol influence / intoxication that generally improves performance in pinball ... ?

I find 1-2 beers to be the sweet spot. My reaction time typically heads downhill after that.

#34 1 year ago

Honestly, depends what your hang-ups are. This is true for any skill.

As others have pointed out, alcohol is a depressant. Any amount of it is slowing down your reaction time, even if you just drink a fraction of a beer. That said, a small amount might not be noticeable, so while people describe a point where it starts to affect their performance, there was probably an effect before that, it just was hard to see and feel.

But there are a lot of ways in which a small amount of alcohol could be a benefit. The first is if you have an issue with making mistakes because you get in your head. A drink might help you "relax" out of that, but this is largely a placebo effect. It works because you think it does, but the placebo effect is real. This is probably most noticeable when under pressure.

The second is habituation. If you ALWAYS play while drinking, your muscle memory might be tuned to having slightly slower reaction times. If you play sober, you might find yourself missing shots because you're going after them slightly too early. But with a little sober practice, this goes away really quickly.

#35 1 year ago

After a couple of glasses of wine and a grasshopper at one of our parties, my wife beat my grand champion score on Wonka. First time in 2 years that she was on the high score board,
    and she plays it often, one of her favorites.

So ... for some it helps to relax and focus more and get into that flipping rhythm. She does better in local tournaments after a couple of drinks also.

For me, not any better, 2 drinks max, or my performance goes downhill from there.

20221008_234655 (resized).jpg20221008_234655 (resized).jpg20221008_234913 (resized).jpg20221008_234913 (resized).jpg20221008_234949 (resized).jpg20221008_234949 (resized).jpg
    #36 1 year ago

ask Jack Danger

#37 1 year ago

I'm not much of a drinker anymore,but my highest score on Metallica was set when I was hammered after a party my nephew had . I came close to beating it last week,but I choked.

#38 1 year ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

After a couple of glasses of wine and a grasshopper at one of our parties, my wife beat my grand champion score on Wonka. First time in 2 years that she was on the high score board,
    and she plays it often, one of her favorites.
    So ... for some it helps to relax and focus more and get into that flipping rhythm. She does better in local tournaments after a couple of drinks also.
    For me, not any better, 2 drinks max, or my performance goes downhill from there.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Lori looks like she had a blast!

#39 1 year ago

100%. I get in a way better zone after some adult treats and beverages. There is a fine line between good and not good though.

#40 1 year ago

Yes. The same with darts and pool. It improves to beer #4 or 5 and then drops off. I'm a software engineer and I completely feel that Ballmer Curve. It's the real deal.

#41 1 year ago

Try some blow. This will help game play much more...or so I was told.

#42 1 year ago

Thank you everyone for your responses. Some awesome anecdotes and some heartfelt truths, plus some very useful references to research. The Ballmer curve is definitely going into the policy! There's appears to be a trend in this highly un-scientific survey of self-selected respondents that being lightly-intoxicated might improve your score, but irresponsible consumption of alcohol is likely to cause harm to your score, your health and community.

There are some studies on alcohol & creativity, such as by Benedek, Panzierer, Aljoscha & Neubauer, University of Graz, Austria https://doi.org/10.1016/j.concog.2017.06.020 who conclude that while there appear to be some benefits at certain stages of the creative process, there are drawbacks in others.

I'll keep looking for other interesting papers on the topic, but in the meantime here's some excerpts from my (draft) Host Responsibility Policy....

Ye Olde Hosty Responsibility Policy

The management and staff of Ye Olde Pinball Shoppe believe we have a responsibility to provide a safe and comfortable environment for pinheads to partake in the gentle art of pinball. To that effect we have instigated the following host responsibility guidelines…

Pinball flow states and intoxication
    We are a pinball arcade first and foremost. The sale and supply of alcohol is secondary to our mission statement, but we acknowledge that for some players, performance improves after a drink or two, but degrades when more than mildly intoxicated. (citation needed) We have a limited range of alcoholic beverages on offer for those who find that light intoxication improves their creative flow state.

Non- and low-alcohol options
    To further our goal of keeping intoxication levels low and pinball scores high, we promote and sell a range of non-alcoholic beers, ciders, sparkling wines and spritzes. We encourage patrons to try alternating between alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages over the course of their visit. Free chilled water will always be available.

Young players
    Pinheads of all ages are of course welcome to play pinball in our establishment, but people under legal drinking age will not be served alcohol. We request that minors are accompanied by a parent or guardian after 8pm.

#43 1 year ago

What? 40+ posts and not a single mention of Dr. Johnny Fever?

1 year later
    #44 34 days ago

not trying to promote it.. but younger i did a few times molly .. and coming back from parties i used to play shooters because everything looks like its in slowmotion. having a extremely good aim and won every thing lol

when the balls goes slower i guess its way easier

#45 34 days ago

I drink mostly BA stouts. The skills drop off within a few sips.

#46 34 days ago

So I took one for the team and did a scientific study on myself.

baseline sober: worse
    Alcohol: better
    Weed: better
    whipits: wha wha wha wha (worse)
    mushrooms: what game (worse)
    acid: alien made me poop myself and hide in the corner (worse)
    cocaine: better at 2 games at once (better)
    meth: not sure about game play but that machine is sparkling clean (better?)
    fentanyl: tbd

#47 34 days ago

Yes to alcohol, but there is most certainly a bell curve.
    My buddy compares it to that old game on The Price Is Right…the one where the little wooden hiker guy is climbing up the mountain, yodeling and smiling all the way.
    Then if the contestant guesses too high, the hiker goes too far and walks off the end of the cliff.

#48 33 days ago
    Quoted from MasterBlaster:

Yes to alcohol, but there is most certainly a bell curve.
    My buddy compares it to that old game on The Price Is Right…the one where the little wooden hiker guy is climbing up the mountain, yodeling and smiling all the way.
    Then if the contestant guesses too high, the hiker goes too far and walks off the end of the cliff.

Same principle applies to bowling and golf.

#49 33 days ago

2 pints for me. More relaxed in a go with the flow vibe. More than two, my reaction time slows and I force riskier shots.

#50 33 days ago

I poured Tennessee whiskey all over my playfield and it didn't help at all!

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-alcohol-improve-gameplay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.