Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 68 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by imnitguy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

Considering picking one up. It's a long drive and a lot of $. What's the staying power like for this game? I play my games a lot, and I've recently downsized, so it would be one of only 2 or 3. Does the game get boring if you play it too much?

#2 5 years ago

Hell yes for us. TAF has staying power. We absolutely love ours. We have ours set up on hard (outposts all the way up and quite steep pitch) and only my wife has finished the game once. This helps to keep us interested in our games.

#3 5 years ago

This is going to be a pretty subjective topic. It's a fun game with awesome theme integration. It's been my only pin for the last 2.5 years and I still have fun when I play it. I have a feeling the better player you are the faster TAF is going to get boring. It's not very deep and people will say that it doesn't have a ton of shots. My guess is though, that it would be a pretty great pin a three pin line up. It's also an extremely friendly guest/wife pin.

Now, I'm ready for something different at this point, but I'm not sure any pin would hold up as an only pin for almost three years. Funny enough, though, I'll still play it on location if I see it and find myself having a good time.

Just to add, I also like that touring the mansion is hard but not impossible. I don't really feel like I've finished the game when I've toured the mansion, I just try to do it twice.

#4 5 years ago

Love my taf. It’d likely be the last game I’d sell, unless cgc remakes them

#5 5 years ago

Its only been in my collection for 18 years... Yeah great game for both skilled and novice player. Fun fun fun...

#6 5 years ago

In the early 90s it got old for me after playing it on location less than ten times. Of course there were a lot of better games to play so it's not like I was forced to play it just to get a pinball fix. I've played it a few times since, but still doesn't do much for me.

It might be fine in a home environment, as long as it's not my home environment.

#7 5 years ago

Fun game, but rules aren’t extremely deep. Definitely a subjective subject.

#8 5 years ago

TAF is a great game. There is a reason why it’s the most successful pinball machine ever manufactured. No 90’s game is a deep as a modern game, but TAF has a phenomenal layout, great theme integration, and solid music.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

it’s the most successful pinball machine ever manufactured.

Ballyhoo sold 50,000 units in the middle of the great depression. So I don't know how a game that sold a little over 20,000 units in a much better economy can be called more successful than that.

#10 5 years ago

20000+ TAF were made. It somehow commands $5k+. That tells me that a lot of these aren’t moving around...

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from ypurchn:

20000+ TAF were made. It somehow commands $5k+. That tells me that a lot of these aren’t moving around...

It took me about 4 years to finally nab one for a decent price and condition.

People tend to hang onto them for a good while. It's a good game. But, it might get a little stale in a smaller collection after you've basically mastered the game, since it isn't a terribly deep game, as others have mentioned.

It's fun and entertaining, and if you do get tired of it at some point, it probably won't take very long to resell it.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from ypurchn:

That’s, like...$100M total value in today’s market!

#13 5 years ago

Nah, the machine is a boat anchor

#14 5 years ago

A lot of the sales of TAF came from attaching the theme of a popular current movie while pinball was already in another boom that was peaking at the time of it's release after other big selling games like T-2 had already paved the way.

Timing was more a factor than anything else.

A lot of what is driving it's remaining popularity with newer collectors is "it's the game I remember playing when I was young" which of course is going to happen when there were more of them out there than anything else. And in many places the only game. Nostalgia is very powerful sales tool in the world of pinball today, it seems.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

A lot of the sales of TAF came from attaching the theme of a popular current movie while pinball was already in another boom that was peaking at the time of it's release after other big selling games like T-2 had already paved the way.
A lot of what is driving it's remaining popularity with newer collectors is "it's the game I remember playing when I was young" which of course is going to happen when there were more of them out there than anything else. And in many places the only game. Nostalgia is very powerful sales tool in the world of pinball today, it seems.

Add on the "Barcades" that require it (it seems) and it'll be harder and more expensive to find

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from DK:

Add on the "Barcades" that require it (it seems) and it'll be harder and more expensive to find

That and how many got shit canned and parted out, which is what happened when they were no longer working or earning well on location and people were dropping quarters in newer games instead, and the amount that remain in good playable condition may be a small fraction of the original run.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Odin, your post describes my senior year. I was working nights at Hardee’s in Topeka, KS. After closing, me and a couple of friend would get high and head to C-trip where this was the only pinball available to play after midnight. We would play until the sun came up. This pin has a lot of nostalgia for me.

As for the OP, if you don’t have memories playing TAF, then I think you are overpaying for a pin. As Odin said ther are probably better pins from the same time that are almost half of TAF, or for the same price you get one of Sterns best premiums NIB. Maybe even better you could possible get 3 system 11.

#18 5 years ago

I got one for a decent price, fixed it up and played it for like three months. Than for me it was time to move on and swap it with a TWD.

It’s a nice pin, great looking but just not for me. Reaching the mansion on ball 1 or 2 isn’t helping either

But this is a very subjective topic. I know plenty people who have it longer. Guess it is also how big TAF is as a theme for you

#19 5 years ago

I love it for nostalgic reasons, had a really nice one, sold it after 3-4 months. Became really boared of it really fast. For that amount of cash, you have plenty of other multiball/adrenaline rush games. Compare it with weed vs cocaine

#20 5 years ago

It's the machine I get asked about the availability of more than twice as much as any other from first time buyers.

They all remember it from being onsite everywhere from dedicated arcades to the corner shop during the 90s.

Like MM and AFM was for the trophy collectors, until it qualifies for a remake the prices on TAF are going to keep climbing mostly due to new market entrants that have no concept of multiple TAF's being purchased from operators for sub $1k regularly.

Does it have staying power? In a 1-3 machine collection most likely no but with TAF they are mostly buying for the past memories of that machine over the gameplay itself. Unless you are paying well over market you won't lose money when it comes time to move it on.

#21 5 years ago

Out of all the pins I have owned and still own, my Addams Gold has been in my collection the longest. Great pin. One of the best.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

That and how many got shit canned and parted out, which is what happened when they were no longer working or earning well on location and people were dropping quarters in newer games instead, and the amount that remain in good playable condition may be a small fraction of the original run.

Especially overseas, before the boom to re import the games back to the USA

#23 5 years ago

It has staying power. I have mine on harder settings. It’s got great modes and really fun wizard mode, that’s reachable. Some of these newer games have wizard modes that you’ll never see.

I’ve had mine taf for about eight years and I don’t plan on selling. Many other games have come and gone.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Out of all the pins I have owned and still own, my Addams Gold has been in my collection the longest. Great pin. One of the best.

same here.

I have owned over 100 games. TAF was the first and is still around and going nowhere ever!

I have been playing it since 92' when it first came out and have more games on TAF than any other game made (maybe more than all other games in my collection). TAF never gets stales IMHO.

#25 5 years ago

I love my TAF, and I actually love all my old Williams/Bally games (and I've got plenty of 'em), but.... if I'm totally honest with you, if I only had room for a small collection, I think it would consist of all modern Sterns like AC/DC, Metallica, and TWD. You could also insert any other modern Sterns including LCD display Spike models that you might like (and yeah, possibly something from JJP or American Pinball). The evolution of coding that we've seen relatively recently in pinball just makes for fun games that will keep you engaged for a longer period of time in a home environment. Especially if you've got a smaller line-up.

Of course this is just my opinion, and if you ask my wife, I'm wrong about everything, so your mileage may vary, hahaha.

#26 5 years ago

I'm tired of even seeing it and not even that many places around here own one. Either you'll love it to death or it'll get old *really* fast.

#27 5 years ago

I can't find a mint TAF in the UK for love nor money (unless I pay like £7k). Everything that seems to come up are real players pins. Understandable I guess given its popularity.

It sells very easily here too, so no chance of a bargain anywhere and no shortage of dealers waiting to buy them, put some rubbers on and call it fully refurbished for silly money.

Simple game but oh so addictive.

#28 5 years ago

I have many clients that have this game and they never sell or want to.

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

I love my TAF, and I actually love all my old Williams/Bally games (and I've got plenty of 'em), but.... if I'm totally honest with you, if I only had room for a small collection, I think it would consist of all modern Sterns like AC/DC, Metallica, and TWD. You could also insert any other modern Sterns including LCD display Spike models that you might like (and yeah, possibly something from JJP or American Pinball). The evolution of coding that we've seen relatively recently in pinball just makes for fun games that will keep you engaged for a longer period of time in a home environment. Especially if you've got a smaller line-up.
Of course this is just my opinion, and if you ask my wife, I'm wrong about everything, so your mileage may vary, hahaha.

I have to agree with your wife on this one

If I could only have 3 pins in my colelciton, TAF would for sure be 1 of them.

(then probably DI and a classic Bally; but who am I kidding... 3 games is not enough... need 5 at minimum to have enough variety)

#30 5 years ago

TAF really speaks to the incredible power of theme integration.

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

3 games is not enough... need 5 at minimum to have enough variety

I know. I thought this when I first got into pinball, then well... pinball happened, and pinball machines have a way of multiplying, LOL.

#32 5 years ago

I found a pretty nice one three years ago for 2500 bucks. I cleaned it up and played it like crazy for about two months and was pretty over it by then. It just got stale so I moved it along. For me it did not have staying power, but hey Ive had PinBot in my collection for more than 5 years and still not tired of it, so my tastes may be different than other folks.
If you do end up getting bored its one of the easiest resales out there.

#33 5 years ago

Add a pin sound board and color DMD to "Modernize" the game helps if you are worried about getting stale. If priced right an easy game to sell for all the above reasons.

#34 5 years ago

Bump sulli10 yes and also add the headphones!

#35 5 years ago

I've owned TAF since 94' (about 24 years). I have a sizeable collection, and if I was to ever downsize to 3-5 pins, TAF would still be there.

#36 5 years ago

I think it is a great game but not sure it is worth the big $$$ to me. Most of the modes seem to be ones you just ignore. It quickly becomes a 2 shot game. I also don't care for the magnets. Still ones of the absolute best games of the 90s and really fun it you don't play too seriously. Can't go wrong getting it. Even if it does get old fast, you can easily sell it.

#37 5 years ago

I've owned one for 15 years, beaten it countless times, and still haven't gotten to the final "wizard mode", Super Bear Kicks.

I have an 8 game collection, and this one is the only game with no ball save. Yet insanely enough, my novice-player friends all love it.

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I think it is a great game but not sure it is worth the big $$$ to me. Most of the modes seem to be ones you just ignore. It quickly becomes a 2 shot game. I also don't care for the magnets. Still ones of the absolute best games of the 90s and really fun it you don't play too seriously. Can't go wrong getting it. Even if it does get old fast, you can easily sell it.

That's probably a lot of the appeal of it nowadays I think. Casual players can buy it knowing that as long as they don't spend a fortune they can move it on quickly and effortlessly.

TAFs seem to sell hand over fist here in the UK. Even pretty worn ones seem to go for over £4k.

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from Sinistarrett:

I found a pretty nice one three years ago for 2500 bucks.

I picked up my TAF about 4 years ago for 2300. I love it. I keep the machine setup for high difficultly with about an 8 degree pitch so it plays very fast, however that just keeps me coming back for more trying to beat it.

#40 5 years ago

ALMOST Every time I sell a game and someone picks it up, they follow up with me several times to see if I would consider selling my TAF as well.

#41 5 years ago

Had my TAF since 2001 and it's one that won't ever leave.

#42 5 years ago

Great game, you'll love it, if you can get a nice one for a price ypu can stomach get it. If you don't like it you shouldn't have a problem moving it.

For me its a keeper and gets played at parties regularly. Its a purely fun game!

#43 5 years ago

For the same money a TAF beats any new Stern pro, better get one soon, i have a feeling these are climbing in price very fast.

#44 5 years ago

When did Addams get shallow? What, 9 play modes including tour wiz mode, 3 score awards and an extra ball in mansion windows, 5X swamp, 3 of the coolest toys in pinball history. Best selling pin ever.

You can dismiss the game if you want, but you are in the tiny percentile if you do.

That's my op-ed.

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from mrgregb123:

I've owned one for 15 years, beaten it countless times, and still haven't gotten to the final "wizard mode", Super Bear Kicks.
I have an 8 game collection, and this one is the only game with no ball save. Yet insanely enough, my novice-player friends all love it.

What is the final wizard mode? How do you get it?

#46 5 years ago

I’ve watched the top 100 lists for 20 years now and Addams Family has always been at the top of the list. The comments by Raul Julia are great. I recently loaned my machine out to the local pinball show and it was constantly being played along with the other one that was at the show. Over the course of 3 days it had over 600 plays on it. It’s a favorite amongst most everyone who plays and/or collects pinball machines. And I believe it was the first pinball machine to get a second production run, i.e. the Gold Edition. It’s may not appeal to everyone, however I think all this just shows how much staying power this game has.

#47 5 years ago

It is my grail pin. Someday, one will be mine.

#49 5 years ago

I hope this one is on CGC's list. Nice examples are big $$$ now!

#50 5 years ago

dollar wise it is the highest selling...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 180.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-addams-family-have-staying-power?hl=trunchbull and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.