(Topic ID: 85286)

ACDC A Lot not working? PLEASE HELP (SOLVED)

By paratrooper

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Excuse me for not being near my Pin right now for further explanation.

Last few days I noticed during game play, slight bump on the machine and it acts like game play is over, then of course the ball drains. No flipper response etc.. but lights and music plays.

Last night, during a multi-ball, same thing happened. After balls drained, a ball was in the JukeBox and would not eject.

Machine off, glass removed, remove ball.

Turn on and it acts kinda crazy. Tells me locating balls, check switch 1.

Get stranger? Open door to do some testing and it acts like the door is never closed when I close it? Cannon wont move now either during test.

Switch 1 was "off" so I turned it back on. Problem solved? NOPE.

Will need to do some more testing, but now even the balls wont launch from the trough!

Removed those, checked Trough switch test and it shows them going in/out. Hit start button and music plays, but no ball launch.

Checked wires (briefly) but will have to get back at it later tonight.

Does that switch disable cannon, ball launch, door switch just to name a few>???

Not sure where to go from here other than checking more in detail all wires etc... I think I may have the door at least knowing what I am doing now, but nothing more.

Is there a fuze blown?

Again, sorry for not being near my game now, but look forward to hearing suggestions and comments so I can troubleshoot later.

#2 10 years ago

Not sure if it is all related but the first half of what you described is most commonly caused by the through opto board. Every Stern I have has needed me to go in and reseat the pins at some point. Couple people have advised to reflow the solder as well on some but mine have all been fixed by just unplugging them and plugging them back in. Give it a shot and see if that helps at least.

#3 10 years ago

Ok, got home and checked everything I could think of. All is looking good to me? Strange.

So here is the problem going on: No flippers, coils or Flashers will test in the test menu, no cannon, no bell. You can press the buttons all you want and the select button all day long, but nothing happens. There is more, but I will have to make a list of everything that "won't" test in the menu.

When I close the door the screen still displays that the 50V / 20 V is disabled and to close the coin door! arggg

Play field light test does work (columns and rows) test. Music test fine as well.

On the Board in the back box I noticed under almost all the fuses, there is a red diode light. Under my F10 fuse, the L5 Red diode is not lit? Is that anything I should be concerned about>?

I am kinda pissed right now, sorry... this thing is only about a month old.

Man I hope there is a simple fix/solution for this.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from paratrooper:

So here is the problem going on: No flippers, coils or Flashers will test in the test menu. You can press the buttons all you want and the select button all day long, but nothing happens.

Enable the high power lock out switch on the left side of the coin door frame.

First problem - reseat the connectors to the ball trough opto boards and see if it helps.

LTG : )™

#5 10 years ago

You mean "press the button" while testing? Doing that. Reseated connectors as well.

#6 10 years ago

Pull the F-10 fuse and check with a DMM.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from paratrooper:

You mean "press the button" while testing?

Yes. Or pull out.

#8 10 years ago

Doing both, thanks. It is interesting to note that when the door is closed, the message is still displayed. Hmmmm

Could it be that switch I wonder?

Worth bringing up however, is the switch (nob) when pressed or pulled out WILL allow all test to be made. Although nothing happens as previously mentioned while testing.

Is it not allowing the passing of HIGH Power?

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from paratrooper:

Could it be that switch I wonder?

Switch is bad, or connectors to it are off/loose.

#10 10 years ago

let me check em!

#11 10 years ago

bummer. No luck for me ! hahah

Guess I could swap out the one that is in my TRON to confirm?

Anyone see a problem doing that?

#12 10 years ago

Sounds obvious as LTG is nearly always right but I agree with him. After hearing more of your issues it sounds like the door switch is bad.

Only harm I seen in using the Tron one is if something caused it to go bad it could mess that one up too. I'd check for lose wires on it first before swapping them. Also depress it by hand too. Could be the door being closed just isn't pushing in the pin far enough to engage the power. Odd that it just started all of a sudden but sure sounds like that is the problem.

#13 10 years ago

Think I will try fuse 1st, then switch 2nd and will let you all know what I discover!

So I did check all the wires and depressed switch with finger as well.

Dunno why all of a sudden, but at least now I have something to start with.

Thanks!

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#14 10 years ago

Damn! So I swapped the fuse out and the Diode Red LED light came on for about 3 seconds, and then POOF.

So something is making (or just started) making that blow. Could the switch cause that to blow?

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from paratrooper:

Could the switch cause that to blow?

Not likely.

Bad coil, coil lugs shorted to metal, short to wiring. Or bad bridge rectifier for coil power. I'd be thinking things like that.

#16 10 years ago

so it looks like I will get a box of fuses and start unplugging everything I have added to see if it is one of those MODS.

strange how the last thing added was almost two weeks ago... No issues until last night.

#17 10 years ago

What mods ?

#18 10 years ago

Here's a video documenting the bad jukebox switch which caused the coil to act weird. Stern sent me a new switch. Works great.

#19 10 years ago

Cannon and Lightning Boltz

#20 10 years ago

Hmm had them in two machines without issue.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

Here's a video documenting the bad jukebox switch which caused the coil to act weird. Stern sent me a new switch. Works great.
» YouTube video

Interesting, but I am getting no HIGH power at all.

#22 10 years ago

Are these common Radio Shack fuses?

#23 10 years ago

You have mirror blades by any chance?

Buddy of mine does and when I installed a mod on his machine we smelled smoke and a loud buzzing. We looked for 2 hours all the time I was about to have a heart ache thinking I messed his machine up. Turned out that a flasher wire worked it's way between the PF ramp and the mirror blades. lifting it and lowering it removed just enough of the insulation to cause a short. No damage done and fixing the wire fixed his problems. We were lucky looking back on it that neither of us got shocked and we didn't burn his machine down.

#24 10 years ago

I did replace a flasher bulb the other day. I need to check those wires!

No mirror blades.

Does anyone know if I can pick the fuse up at Radio Shack?

#25 10 years ago

yes, you should be able to. Take one with you and they should be able to locate it for you.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

yes, you should be able to. Take one with you and they should be able to locate it for you.

Thanks

#27 10 years ago

Well! I figured it out. Took me awhile but I am happy that it wasn't bigger than it is.

Took everyones advice to include my "txt a friend" Gio...

Went back to anything that was changed recently.

The middle lightning bolt was shorting out the bulb holder behind it ! I guess that last time the game went out on me as the ball was rolling up that ramp should have been an indicator? LOL

There is a small metal circle on the outside black portion of the bulb holder that apparently acts as a ground?

I had to bend the bulb hold back so it won't make contact with the back of the lightning bolt MOD. There is no protective cover on the back, so solder points etc. are exposed.

Replace fuse J10 and I am back and running!

So, thanks for everyones dedication and help! What an awesome response and caring attitude of everyone here!

Thanks again...

Guess I will need to figure out a way to cover up that circle and the back of the lightning bolt. Black tape comes to mind

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-acdc-jukebox-switch-1-disable-alot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.