(Topic ID: 203467)

Does a straw have one hole or two holes? Poll included

By gtxjoe

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Does a straw have one hole or two holes?”

• One hole 220 votes
      81%
    • Two holes 51 votes
      19%

(271 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

377550073_d1014321da (resized).jpg
    IMG_0029 (resized).PNG
    A9699628-FC20-4569-BE48-271F4EB42F72 (resized).jpeg
    51xA6sRHhCL._UL1001_.jpg
    318976d7090bf2b4b90e9e62e625041d24a84fbe.png (resized).jpg
    63B13E41-0A05-40E5-8EE5-C20F25E83803 (resized).jpg
    30FFC429-69A0-4FA1-8DF0-46A9BE439616 (resized).jpg
    TWOHOLESTRAW (resized).png
    IMG_0727 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0728 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0726 (resized).JPG
    pasted_image (resized).png
    licks (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    formufit-tee-gray-1-1-4-pvc-tee-fitting-furniture-grade-11763665348 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0722 (resized).PNG
    There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 6 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Speaking of holes and mouths ... what has six holes but no mouth?

My next wife?

#52 6 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

The argument that it's one hole is dumb. Why? You have a pie hole and an !@!hole, and it's one continuous tube, yet nobody would say that you eat and crap from the same hole. Jesus.

Frax, This is three holes. You have "x" axis, "Y" axis, and "Z" axis. As opposed to the Tee fitting which is just an X axis and Z axis.

318976d7090bf2b4b90e9e62e625041d24a84fbe.png (resized).jpg318976d7090bf2b4b90e9e62e625041d24a84fbe.png (resized).jpg

#53 6 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Frax, This is three holes. You have "x" axis, "Y" axis, and "Z" axis. As opposed to the Tee fitting which is just an X axis and Z axis.

Wouldn't Z be the depth?

Edit : I.E. diameter of hole(s)?

#54 6 years ago

if you cut the straw in half, does it now have 4 holes?

#55 6 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Cannot tell if serious..... I was pretty sure MS Paint drawings of such shoddy quality and big block letters were the universal sign of ridiculous things everywhere....

Let me explain: Using derp logic.... If a straight straw only has one hole, then the only way to add another hole is either to split off and have another 'leg' to the straw, or to put a hole through the side of it. Since a straw with a hole in the side of it is about as practical as wiping your butt with wet toilet paper......EXTRA HOLE.

#56 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinsideTroll:

Simple answer, yes.

#57 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinsideTroll:

No, now you have 2 straws.

#58 6 years ago

So if i have an otherwise solid mountain, and drill a tunnel from one side to the other, are there one or two holes?

#59 6 years ago

Definition of hole. holed; holing. transitive verb. 1 : to make an opening through or a hollowed-out place in (as by cutting, digging, boring, or shooting at) : to make a hole

None of these processes are used to make a straw

#60 6 years ago

If the straw is kinked then I say 2, but if its a passable then 1! For me its a hydraulic system, fluid only moves one way it's pushed...you must be water flow like water whhhhhaaaaaa (Lee) lol!

51xA6sRHhCL._UL1001_.jpg51xA6sRHhCL._UL1001_.jpg

#61 6 years ago

Ok this is silly. Imagine it this way: Assume that you have a two-dimensional area, X and Y dimensions only, in the center of which is a hole. The X and Y dimensions remain constant but we introduce a Z dimension (for illustrative purposes "thickness"). At what point, as the Z dimension increases, does the single hole become two? The answer is never, it is always one hole. ONE HOLE

#62 6 years ago

You have a potato
    - and you drill a hole 40% of the way through.
    - then you drill another hole exactly opposite the first hole -> 40% through - so they don't connect
    ---- You have 2 holes -> BUT then you drill one of the holes until it CONNECTS with the other hole -> now you only have 1 hole

Considering the above - what if the holes are at an angle to each other - say 30 degrees. But you can still connect them...

One last consideration -> what if you hollow out a golf ball sized hole in the middle of the potato -> then randomly drill 7 holes -> all connecting to the hollowed out center.... it can make you think.

#63 6 years ago
    Quoted from Shoot_Again:

Ok this is silly. Imagine it this way: Assume that you have a two-dimensional area, X and Y dimensions only, in the center of which is a hole. The X and Y dimensions remain constant but we introduce a Z dimension (for illustrative purposes "thickness"). At what point, as the Z dimension increases, does the single hole become two? The answer is never, it is always one hole. ONE HOLE

How about a digestive tract ?

One side is okay, except in the morning, the other side stinky ?

LTG : )

#64 6 years ago
    Quoted from Shoot_Again:

Heehee, its never a hole until you add the 3rd dimension though... just a circle until then. I agree it's 1 hole though.

#65 6 years ago

It has one hole that goes all the way thru... to the other hole.

#66 6 years ago

Ok you guys are blowing my mind.......and not in the good way. This is crazy.

A “straw” is a geometric shape that can be described as a hollow cylinder with both ends open. This is made by taking a flat 2 dimension rectangle and bending it into a 3 dimensional object by connecting the two opposing sides. The ends are open because the original 2d rectangle doesn’t have material to cover them.

In a “straw” you don’t have end caps to drill a hole into. I argue that a “straw” doesn’t have any holes. If your “straw” had a hole in it, it would be a leaky straw. Drilling a hole perpendicular (or at any angle) into the “straw” turns it into a “T” or “Y” connection not a magical 3 holed “straw”.

If you have a solid object and drill a hole 40% of the way through it, it becomes a cup. Flip it over drill a second hole to connect with your original hole and you don’t suddenly make a “straw”. You make a widget that has been drilled through. It can be used as a straw but it is not a “straw”. Similarly if two holes are drilled into a chamber at a “V” angle, there is a pass through the object, but this is not a “straw”....it’s a bong.

#67 6 years ago

Two openings, one hole.

#68 6 years ago

How about this wiffle ball?

Let say this one has 20 openings.

Is it a ball with
    A) 20 holes
    B) 10 holes with 2 openings each
    C) 1 hole with 20 openings

A9699628-FC20-4569-BE48-271F4EB42F72 (resized).jpegA9699628-FC20-4569-BE48-271F4EB42F72 (resized).jpeg

#69 6 years ago

(A) 20 holes in the whiffle ball

i totally agree with zero holes in a straw, but I cannot see how anyone answers two.

#70 6 years ago

Straw is totally 1 hole, 20 on the whiffle ball there, there's no stipulation on how long it takes to pass threw a hole, thin or thick...now all I want to do is watch that TV show Sliders from the 90's lol

#71 6 years ago
    Quoted from Shoot_Again:

(A) 20 holes in the whiffle ball
    i totally agree with zero holes in a straw, but I cannot see how anyone answers two.

I want to change my answer.
    A straw has a hole with two holes. close one? It has one hole to the hole. Poke one in the side? It has three holes to the hole. If you wanted to close a straw? You would have to close two holes?

A wiffle ball was holed to the hole, but it wasn't a hole until the first hole was made.

#72 6 years ago

Only conclusion from this poll is that a straw consists of 80% of one hole and 20% of two holes.

IMG_0029 (resized).PNGIMG_0029 (resized).PNG

#73 6 years ago

Does she have a sister? No other guesses - 6 holes and no mouth = ? Incoming answer expected Tues.

#74 6 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Does she have a sister? No other guesses - 6 holes and no mouth = ?

A cave? Mine shaft? ummmm......uhhhhhh? No clue!

#75 6 years ago

lol

377550073_d1014321da (resized).jpg377550073_d1014321da (resized).jpg

#76 6 years ago
    Quoted from gtxjoe:

How about this wiffle ball?
    Let say this one has 20 openings.
    Is it a ball with
    A) 20 holes
    B) 10 holes with 2 openings each
    C) 1 hole with 20 openings

A whiffle ball is not a straw.

#77 6 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

A whiffle ball is not a straw.

If you hollowed out a potato, cut up a atraw into a bunch of holes, and inserted into potato - would you have a wiffle ball?

#78 6 years ago

I bit the end off a twizzler noticed its middle hallow , I then bit the other end off and made a straw.

So it's two bites to make a straw. Hope this helps.

Of course you could shape in a U and one bite would do. Oh well..

#79 6 years ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

So it's two bites to make a straw. Hope this helps.

How many licks to the center of a tootsie pop? Double it and then you have a tootsie straw???

#80 6 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Double it and then you have a tootsie straw???

Wouldn't that be tootsie stick ?

LTG : )

#81 6 years ago

A straw has no holes.
    It has an inlet and a outlet.

#82 6 years ago

This thread strangely reminds me of the Andy scale https://www.cartalk.com/content/andy-scale-0

1 year later
    #84 5 years ago

Please no. Not again

#85 5 years ago

This topic is discussed on Tosh.0

#86 5 years ago

Can we please argue about important stuff like.......Is a hot dog considered a sandwich? Or is cereal considered soup?

#87 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

One hole, but two openings?
    If you take a plastic rod, and drill a hole through it, it's still just one continuous hole.

Isn't it more like ONE tunnel?

(What am I even doing here?!)

#88 5 years ago

I used to play the sandwich punch game and I've had way too many debates over what defines a sandwich. A hot dog is NOT a sandwich because it doesn't sit between two pieces of bread AND it does not have sandwich in the name. A hot dog bun may split by accident, but it is not intended to be split. You'd argue that a sub isn't always between two pieces of bread, but a sub is short for "submarine sandwich." So by definition, a sub is a sandwich.

I have no opinion on the cereal/soup debate.

#89 5 years ago

This is just silly. Straws do not have holes. It's a tube. No one ever put a hole in a straw. Except for the occasional prankster.
    Look up the definition of hole.

#90 5 years ago

This mathematician says a straw has one hole.

https://mindyourdecisions.com/blog/2018/02/19/how-many-holes-does-a-straw-have-the-correct-answer-explained-mathematically/

I have something important to do. I have to go wax a play field.

#91 5 years ago

Rubbish

#92 5 years ago

Oh no, not this again...

There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-a-straw-have-one-hole-or-two-holes-poll-included/page/2?hl=joker2415 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.