(Topic ID: 203467)

Does a straw have one hole or two holes? Poll included

By gtxjoe

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Does a straw have one hole or two holes?”

• One hole 220 votes
      81%
    • Two holes 51 votes
      19%

(271 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

377550073_d1014321da (resized).jpg
    IMG_0029 (resized).PNG
    A9699628-FC20-4569-BE48-271F4EB42F72 (resized).jpeg
    51xA6sRHhCL._UL1001_.jpg
    318976d7090bf2b4b90e9e62e625041d24a84fbe.png (resized).jpg
    63B13E41-0A05-40E5-8EE5-C20F25E83803 (resized).jpg
    30FFC429-69A0-4FA1-8DF0-46A9BE439616 (resized).jpg
    TWOHOLESTRAW (resized).png
    IMG_0727 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0728 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0726 (resized).JPG
    pasted_image (resized).png
    licks (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    formufit-tee-gray-1-1-4-pvc-tee-fitting-furniture-grade-11763665348 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0722 (resized).PNG

There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

This topic came up during Thansksgiving dinner. Does a straw have one hole or two holes? We never agreed on an answer...

#2 6 years ago
    Quoted from gtxjoe:

This topic came up during Thansksgiving dinner. Does a straw have one hole or two holes? We never agreed on an answer...

If I were to create a straw in a CAD program, it would only require one hole But if I had to, I could argue the other way too (I chose one for the poll).

#3 6 years ago

One hole, but two openings?

If you take a plastic rod, and drill a hole through it, it's still just one continuous hole.

#4 6 years ago

A straw is an elongated donut with thinner walls. Does a donut have two holes? No. I love donuts.

Now here is a bigger question. WHY does water stay in the straw when you lower the straw into a glass of water, put your finger over the top, then lift the straw up? Very few get this one right. Hint: pretty much everything you google for the answer will not be right.

#5 6 years ago

If you take the straw and drill a hole on the side of the straw, does it now have two holes? Or is it still one hole? Or is it now three holes?

This is where the discussion got fuzzy and interesting.

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from gtxjoe:

If you take the straw and drill a hole on the side of the straw, does it now have two holes? Or is it still one hole? Or is it now three holes?
    This is where the discussion got fuzzy and interesting.

It would now have two holes unless you drilled through to the other side then you would have three holes as there is no connection to the other side wall.
    -Mike

#7 6 years ago

hqdefault (resized).jpghqdefault (resized).jpg

#8 6 years ago

Don't know geometry that well anymore. I guess a plane(one dimension) would have just one hole and a cylinder(3 dimensions) would have 2. Or was it calculus. A straw does have a hole on either end or is it one with two sides?

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

Now here is a bigger question. WHY does water stay in the straw when you lower the straw into a glass of water, put your finger over the top, then lift the straw up? Very few get this one right. Hint: pretty much everything you google for the answer will not be right.

Simple: gravity pulls the water down out of the straw when the water level in the straw becomes higher than the water level in the glass. This creates a vacuum and sucks air in from the top of the straw to replace the water that was drained out the bottom. If you seal off the top with your finger the air can’t come in to replace the water and thus the vacuum keeps the water in the straw.

#10 6 years ago

A pinball leg mounts with two holes with two bolts, not four holes with two bolts.....

IMG_0722 (resized).PNGIMG_0722 (resized).PNG

#11 6 years ago

Lol this debate finally made it to pinside.

#12 6 years ago

If you punch a hole in a piece of paper do we describe it one hole or two? We describe it as a single hole. One could argue that depth of the hole compared to a piece of paper, a straw, or a 100 mile pipe doesn't matter, because they are all tubes, or mathematically a hollow cylinder. At the molecular level, a punched hole in a piece of paper is still a hollow cylinder.

#13 6 years ago

I agree on the pinball leg mount and a piece of paper.

What about this pipe fitting though?

formufit-tee-gray-1-1-4-pvc-tee-fitting-furniture-grade-11763665348 (resized).jpgformufit-tee-gray-1-1-4-pvc-tee-fitting-furniture-grade-11763665348 (resized).jpg

#14 6 years ago

In circuit board technology it does not matter whether the hole is a through-hole via going all the way through the board or a blind via-hole not going all the way through the board. It is still a hole (one hole).

A person in a legal profession would argue it whichever way suited their argument.

#15 6 years ago

We can settle this once and for all. Let me ask my ex wife, she knows everything.

#16 6 years ago

I once cut a tomato so thin it only had one side.

#17 6 years ago

If your straw has a hole in it, it would leak.

#18 6 years ago

A person in a legal profession would argue it whichever way suited their argument.

If there were in a town with only two attorneys, guaranteed each would argue the opposite opinion. (The poorest guy in a town with only ONE attorney will be the attorney.)

#19 6 years ago

The easy (and probably correct answer) is one hole... However, here's the counter argument I like best:

Imagine a hollow cylinder capped on both ends. You drill out the top end. Hole 1 is formed. If you moved that object around and looked at it you would say it only has one hole - at one end, right? Now continue drilling through the bottom closed end of the hollow cylinder and drill through that...hole 2 is formed. Could you argue that you have NOT drilled two separate holes?

https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.51oOD4UjCW-S1K-10OuPuwEsDN&w=155&h=105&c=8&rs=1&qlt=90&pid=3.1&rm=2

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from gtxjoe:

Pretend your T-pipe was piece of 2" x 4" wood. Drill one hole all the way through. Next, drill one hole perpendicular to the first hole. 1 + 1 =2.

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

We can settle this once and for all. Let me ask my ex wife, she knows everything.

This is SOOOOOOO true.

#22 6 years ago

2 holes, 1 shaft.

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from gtxjoe:

2 hole features, 3 connections

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

2 hole features, 3 connections

So if you cap two of the three connections you're left with a fitting with no holes? Or, if you capped one end of your straw, you end up with a straw with no hole? It takes 2 holes to make a straw, an entrance and an exit.

#25 6 years ago

A straw has 2 ends, with only 1 hole.

#26 6 years ago

I just asked my garden hose and it refused to leak the secret.

The world may never know.

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

A straw has 2 ends, with only 1 hole.

A mouth has 2 ends, with only 1 hole.

#28 6 years ago

The straw has zero holes, it has two openings if there was a puncture in the side of the straw then there would be a hole, a straw is a hollow cylinder, that’s what it is, it doesn’t have anyholes, if a straw only had one opening then it would be a sort of cup and not be called a straw, I hope this makes sense

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

Holy shit I never laughed so hard in my life, well done sir

#30 6 years ago

Aw. Now I understand what is meant by a "straw poll".

#31 6 years ago

Ok. I'm going to model a solid cylinder in CAD. Cut a hole in one end, 45% depth. Cut a hole in the opposite end, 45% depth. I'll print my nonfunctional 2 hole straw. Then I'll drill a through hole in the middle.

Boom.

3-hole-straw.

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from EvanDickson:

Ok. I'm going to model a solid cylinder in CAD. Cut a hole in one end, 45% depth. Cut a hole in the opposite end, 45% depth. I'll print my nonfunctional 2 hole straw. Then I'll drill a through hole in the middle.
    Boom.
    3-hole-straw.

2 holes, unless your not going 3 dimensional

#33 6 years ago

licks (resized).pnglicks (resized).png

#34 6 years ago

Depends......

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#35 6 years ago

No holes, a straw is a just a paper or plastic rectangle rolled Side to side and fastened sonically or with a crimp. There are no holes in the rectangle. Just a space formed by the process of rolling it over.

#36 6 years ago

They were drawn (not rolled like iron pipe is) at the straw factory I have been to.

#37 6 years ago

When I first saw the question I thought..."one hole"....Now, after reading the thread I'm all confused....

I'm still going with one hole, but with two openings.

#38 6 years ago

Every hole has a top and a bottom, just because it goes all the way through doesn't make it two holes.

Drill four 1" holes, evenly spaced, through a 2x4, what does that mean to you? Seems pretty clear to me, the some Smart ass drills two holes and says it's four holes (because he counts both sides?). Ask the same guy to drill one hole through the 2x4, does he get "lost" say that's not possible, holes come in pairs?

Hey Joe, drill 8 holes in this pinball cabinet for legs, again pretty simple, the bolt passes through the hole, like water through a straw. But joe only drills 4.... and gets fired

If you can put your finger in one side of the hole and the same finger pops out the other side it's the same hole....

I would like a straw with ONE HOLE please, maybe someone (who thinks a straw has two) could show me what that looks like.....do you cut it in half and then it has one hole?

#39 6 years ago

The argument that it's one hole is dumb. Why? You have a pie hole and an !@!hole, and it's one continuous tube, yet nobody would say that you eat and crap from the same hole. Jesus.

Quoted from ovfdfireman:

could show me what that looks like

TWOHOLESTRAW (resized).pngTWOHOLESTRAW (resized).png

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

No holes, a straw is a just a paper or plastic rectangle rolled Side to side and fastened sonically or with a crimp. There are no holes in the rectangle. Just a space formed by the process of rolling it over.

So at what point does it go from being a hole to not being a hole? Is it length! Or process? If I cut Bar Stock into a 4" length and physically drill the hole (like a straw) is it then a hole? If I drill one hole through the bars Stock, when does it become two, even though I drilled just once.

IMG_0726 (resized).JPGIMG_0726 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0728 (resized).JPGIMG_0728 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0727 (resized).JPGIMG_0727 (resized).JPG

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

The argument that it's one hole is dumb. Why? You have a pie hole and an !@!hole, and it's one continuous tube, yet nobody would say that you eat and crap from the same hole. Jesus.

A single component is different than a system, and a living person is certainly not the same as drilling a single hole through a metal bar, wood or plastic.

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

To me this analogy is comparing to a "sewer system" waste water goes to the sewer plant for treatment and back to your faucet, certainly not the same hole. If you want to tie into the sewer system you have to drill a hole into a pipe to tap in. The system is full of pipes, holes, turns, etc. it's a system, not a single component like a washer, or a tube.

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

2 holes, 1 shaft.

I've seen that video...

#44 6 years ago

Dig a hole in your backyard. One hole. Dig all the way to China. One Hole end in the US, one hole end in China. The Chinese government believes that they own the hole. The US says, No, we own the hole. Consider it two holes for diplomacy sake.

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

A single component is different than a system, and a living person is certainly not the same as drilling a single hole through a metal bar, wood or plastic.

Nope, it's a tube, like the internets. (Hopefully this one was a bit more obvious, intent-wise....LOL. These "actually, both are right and the answer doesn't really matter to anyone at all, I'm only asking this to be a dickhead and start an argument" type questions are irritating, IMO. )

#46 6 years ago

So, human centipede... one hole or two....

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

So, human centipede... one hole or two....

Their holes were sewn shut, so one. Or two. Or oh wait, they didn't touch the ears or nostrils, so nine or ten.

#48 6 years ago

I voted one hole in a straw, but need to revise it, having realized the correct answer is two. damn. My thinking goes like this ...

You draw a black circle on a blank piece of white paper and explain it represents looking at the inside of a straw from above it. We can agree you have one hole. Using white chaulk, draw an ever so slightly smaller circle inside of the first one and color the inside of it too. You explain this is the inside edge or hole of the straw and in between the two circles is the wall of the straw or thickness. Even I realize that the outer hole of a straw is different than the inner hole. One + One equals 2. Can someone check my math? Calling on Bearded Man and Batman.

30FFC429-69A0-4FA1-8DF0-46A9BE439616 (resized).jpg30FFC429-69A0-4FA1-8DF0-46A9BE439616 (resized).jpg
    63B13E41-0A05-40E5-8EE5-C20F25E83803 (resized).jpg63B13E41-0A05-40E5-8EE5-C20F25E83803 (resized).jpg

#49 6 years ago

Speaking of holes and mouths ... what has six holes but no mouth?

#50 6 years ago

One hole and two openings! Would be my answer. That said Phat Jay is absolutely correct!

There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-a-straw-have-one-hole-or-two-holes-poll-included and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.