• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8647 (resized).jpg
IMG_8646 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

I own a Centigrade 37. When buying it, I was surprised to discover that the serial number was 01003 S, which means that this machine was surely the third one to be built. The color of some details of the back-glass are different (pans of the blond girl is grey instead of red on the standard version). And the technical scheme is hand written and not typed. Does it means that this pinball has a higher value than a standard one? Thank you for your advices

#2 5 years ago

Depends.

Games where features were removed on production games the samples might hold a higher premium. Some it's just cosmetic artwork changes like your game. There are a certain collector that that may appeal to, others may not care.

Some sample games they found problems and changed production games for the better. Jackbot sample games have problematic lock design and was fixed on production games. Had a sample Jackbot and couldn't wait to get rid of it.

Now, prototype games might hold a higher value due to very limited production (20). Sample games they usually made a fairly sizeable quantity (200).

#3 5 years ago

It doesnt really depend - almost no sample games bear a higher value than their regular production counterparts. Take TZ, which has a very high number of changes from sample to production. Same value. Even Monster Bash, which had an entire different mech and ramp in the sample - basically the same value. If it’s a super rare thing, where there are only 2 or 3 samples available, you may find more value - but that will be because of the rarity, not specifically because it’s a sample.

Having a sample is just a cool thing to show off to your pinball friends

#4 5 years ago

Dirty Harry with the drop target feature seems to be worth slightly more than the production games without it.

#5 5 years ago

Sample Jackbot is worth less.

Those horrible sample eyelocks are a disaster and bounce outs are at least 50 percent.

There’s a reason they changed it for production.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

It doesnt really depend - almost no sample games bear a higher value than their regular production counterparts. Take TZ, which has a very high number of changes from sample to production. Same value. Even Monster Bash, which had an entire different mech and ramp in the sample - basically the same value. If it’s a super rare thing, where there are only 2 or 3 samples available, you may find more value - but that will be because of the rarity, not specifically because it’s a sample.
Having a sample is just a cool thing to show off to your pinball friends

Being an owner of a sample TZ, I'd saw it is worth more. At least for me it would take some serious cash on top of a regular TZ to get me to sell mine.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

Being an owner of a sample TZ, I'd saw it is worth more. At least for me it would take some serious cash on top of a regular TZ to get me to sell mine.

Haha same here, but not -necessarily- the same to a buyer!

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Haha same here, but not -necessarily- the same to a buyer!

Those that haven't played a sample TZ are missing out on the true greatness of an already great machine. Let me know if you ever sell yours -- it is such a special machine that I'd buy a second one.

#9 5 years ago

Folks seem to value the sample DINER more than the production game. The sample had a diamondcoat playfield and yellow habitrail - both desirable features on a DINER.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from dmieczko:

Folks seem to value the sample DINER more than the production game. The sample had a diamondcoat playfield and yellow habitrail - both desirable features on a DINER.

The funny thing about that- I was looking for a Diner a few months ago, and within 3 days, I found 2 early sample games near me. One was absolute junk but number 63 is now mine. It's worth to me the same as a regular Diner, and it's not going anywhere anytime soon.

I've now had 4 various sample/early games, without looking for any of them. They are out there, there are a lot of them. I don't place any more value on them other then the fun factor I get out of them- if they are fun, then they are worth more to me then if they aren't.

#11 5 years ago

Two of the games I have are samples, but they aren't any different than the production games from what I could tell.

#12 5 years ago

I had 2 early production Scared Stiffs and both were sold for more than the regular price.

#13 5 years ago

Just for curiosity, two examples of the hand-written technical scheme

IMG_8647 (resized).jpgIMG_8647 (resized).jpgIMG_8646 (resized).jpgIMG_8646 (resized).jpg
#14 5 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Depends.
Games where features were removed on production games the samples might hold a higher premium. Some it's just cosmetic artwork changes like your game. There are a certain collector that that may appeal to, others may not care.
Some sample games they found problems and changed production games for the better. Jackbot sample games have problematic lock design and was fixed on production games. Had a sample Jackbot and couldn't wait to get rid of it.
Now, prototype games might hold a higher value due to very limited production (20). Sample games they usually made a fairly sizeable quantity (200).

Agree that it depends, but seems like EM collectors hold them in higher regards.
My .02

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-a-sample-pinball-have-more-value?hl=flashdaddy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.