(Topic ID: 130112)

Does a Fleet need a transformer?

By SilverballNut

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

fleetcoil.jpg
    fleetcaps.jpg
    fleet.jpg
    #1 8 years ago

I have a Fleet pinball I bought and I have cleaned it up and adjusted it as well mechanically as I can. I'm still having the problem that when the cannons fire they sometimes fire really hard and others times barely fire. I'm beginning to suspect this is because of the line voltage fluctuating.

My coil is wired directly into what looks like a lamp cord that you plug into the wall. There is a splice on the wires that leads to a small box in the coin door with a two caps, a small board with a light and other components on it. I am guessing this box is only to light the bulb and show the machine is on, but I've tried the game with and without it and it doesn't seem to matter. I also removed the small spring in the picture and it didn't seem to matter either.

Should there be a transformer in the fleet to normalize the voltage? And if there is, what voltage is this coil at and what might be a suitable transformer?

I haven't been able to find a schematic or really much info on it other then the original flyer.

Thanks

fleet.jpgfleet.jpg
    fleetcoil.jpgfleetcoil.jpg
    fleetcaps.jpgfleetcaps.jpg

#2 8 years ago

I would suspect this ran off of batteries originally, but have no experience to substantiate that.

So your question about a transformer is what I would expect also.

Not sure what the make up of the circuit you have there is but I would expect a 12V DC power supply if 12V DC battery is what may have been available back in the day.

#3 8 years ago

I still owe you pics of the Ball Gate. Ill get those to you tonight.

My bad on taking so long

--Jeff

1 week later
    #4 8 years ago

Bump. Anyone know what transformer I need or at least voltage? I'm pretty sure I need a transformer...

#5 8 years ago

If the original battery was 12v couldn't you just use a switching power supply?

http://www.amazon.com/Regulated-Switching-Power-Supply-Silver/dp/B007KG0ZYI

#6 8 years ago

I played (and loved) a Fleet at SFGE this past weekend. I spoke with the owner as he was packing up. The game is (normally) powered by a battery. The one at SFGE did not have a power cable. Wish I could help some more on the specifics. Congrats on the game. I had a lot of fun playing it.

#7 8 years ago

I just found this video.

A bit after the 6 minute mark, he talks about the battery. Sounds like it should be 6V.

#8 8 years ago

What are the stats on the coil? Assuming 4 ohm we'd need 1.6 Amp, right? If so then what about one of these, rated at 3 Amp?

http://www.amazon.com/SMAKN%C2%AE-Switching-Supply-Adapter-100-240/dp/B00P5P6ZBS/ref=sr_1_8

#9 8 years ago

Thanks all, I didn't find that video before now. I had tried a battery, but I don't think it was new enough (took it out of an old flashlight), so I'm going to try and get a new 6volt one.

btw75, I think that may work... I went ahead and ordered one to try it out. I'll measure the resistance next time I open it up. It takes about a dozen screws to get the playfield off to get down where the coil is. If it was running off batteries originally I can't imaging it drawing much amperage.

Crazy thing is this came to me with a cord directly wired in and I'm amazed it didn't burn something up!

#10 8 years ago

BTW In that video, you'll notice he has an added on bell (or they changed something). Mine has the bell actually attached under the playfield and when the brass plate slides up it hits the bell mechanism and rings the bell too. Just thought I'd leave that here in case others ever wonder.

#11 8 years ago

They used batteries like this: http://www.amazon.com/Exell-Battery-EBR40-906AC-Ignitor/dp/B00KWH50AG/ref=sr_1_2

Four of them in series for 6 volts. Holy cow those are spendy nowadays.

Here's the four in a nice neat package: http://www.amazon.com/Rayovac-6-Volt-Electric-Battery-Terminals/dp/B001D11FE0

Lots cheaper that way. If you have a farm store nearby they should have some.

Plenty of amperage to fire the heck out of them cannons!

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from SilverballNut:

BTW In that video, you'll notice he has an added on bell (or they changed something). Mine has the bell actually attached under the playfield and when the brass plate slides up it hits the bell mechanism and rings the bell too. Just thought I'd leave that here in case others ever wonder.

I was thinking that the wiring to the coil to ring the bell seemed a bit hackey. Makes a lot more sense to just use the single coil.

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from SilverballNut:

If it was running off batteries originally I can't imaging it drawing much amperage.

So remember that the switching supply may only be 3amp rated, but it essentially can provide that amperage indefinitely.

The battery may have only been a couple amphours, making it seem like the coil couldn't possibly draw 1+amps. The key here is that the coil only acts momentarily, so even a 2 amp battery could last a long time with a 1.5 amp coil draw.

http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/ampere-hour-Ah-or-amp-hour

Anyway, would be nice to know the original specs. Fwiw, I saw that dirt flipper used to use Lantern batteries.

#14 8 years ago

These original games used what were at the time "telephone batteries" (which were these tall, clunky things). The Amazon link above is a pretty good match.

And yes, I just used a 6V lantern battery instead on the few early games that had something to pulse (back when I had such games). It's a cheap solution.

3 months later
    #15 8 years ago

Ok, so it's been a while since life just got in the way of pinball. However, I found some time to tear the Fleet down and install the transformer. Guess what, it works like a champ!

We have been playing quite a few games, and my son just kicks my butt. The repeat works great too.

Thanks to all.

Greg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-a-fleet-need-a-transformer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.