Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Dancer Coil (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
#1 4 years ago

Just starting down the path of my first pinball machine resurrection, a 1965 Gottlieb Dodge City. Item 1 was purchasing the wiring schamtic. I have it, but it's a little daunting. Item 2 was replacing the power cord. I did that, with a new 3 line grounded cord as per the pinwiki instructions.

It's powering on, and playable, but certain things don't work:

1. Score motor will run endlessly sometimes. I have found that the way to correct this is by pulling on the solenoid on the player unit, it sticks and doesn't allow the disc to turn all the way to reset position sometimes.

2. Inability to add additional players. Pressing the Start button makes the player 2 light flash momentarily, but then only player 1 will be playing.

3. Scoring in 5 and 50 increments doesn't work. I can hear additional clicks, but when the clicks are finished, only 1 or 10 points are added.

My research leads me to believe these can all be related to the Player Unit. Am I on the right track here?

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from adammerkley:

1. Score motor will run endlessly sometimes. I have found that the way to correct this is by pulling on the solenoid on the player unit, it sticks and doesn't allow the disc to turn all the way to reset position sometimes.

The first thing to address is if some relay or solenoid is staying energized. Is this solenoid staying energized or is it very easy to pull?

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

The first thing to address is if some relay or solenoid is staying energized. Is this solenoid staying energized or is it very easy to pull?

It's staying energized for sure.

#4 4 years ago

The player unit is a very important component in Gottlieb games... the switch contacts on the 5 cams must be clean, and switches on those stacks properly making/breaking as the unit advances... also the disk that houses the metal contact 'skates' must be clean and lubed lightly, and make sure the wires on those skates haven't come loose (this is common as these wires are very thin in diameter to allow the skates to move in a non-tandem manner).

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from Dono:

The player unit is a very important component in Gottlieb games... the switch contacts on the 5 cams must be clean, and switches on those stacks properly making/breaking as the unit advances... also the disk that houses the metal contact 'skates' must be clean and lubed lightly, and make sure the wires on those skates haven't come loose (this is common as these wires are very thin in diameter to allow the skates to move in a non-tandem manner).

That being said, it's important that all of the score reel RUNOUT and 0 position switches are working properly, since these work in concert with the player unit to advance the proper number of steps in order to reset the game properly.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from adammerkley:

It's staying energized for sure.

If the "Change Players and Add Balls Played relay" (B) is also staying energized, check the Trough switch to the right of the Outhole.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#7 4 years ago

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm going to venture to clean the Player Unit assembly.

I will follow that circuit and check the trough assembly switch too.

Regarding the Dancer coil, I can't tell from my schematic what activates its on/off position. It looks to me like it's always energized. What am I missing here?

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from adammerkley:

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm going to venture to clean the Player Unit assembly.
I will follow that circuit and check the trough assembly switch too.
Regarding the Dancer coil, I can't tell from my schematic what activates its on/off position. It looks to me like it's always energized. What am I missing here?

can you show the actual area of the schematic where that coil is located so we can see? Most of us don't have that schematic.

#9 4 years ago

Here you go. I wasn't sure how much of the surrounding area you wanted.

Dancer Coil (resized).jpgDancer Coil (resized).jpg
#10 4 years ago
Quoted from adammerkley:

Here you go. I wasn't sure how much of the surrounding area you wanted.[quoted image]

Do switches J, Q, S, U and V energize the Dancer coil? If so I will be so happy and start to think I am getting the hang of reading the schematic

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from adammerkley:

The Dancer Unit coil is activated by a switch on Motor 1A on the schematic at 17.5 I

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

The Dancer Unit coil is activated by a switch on Motor 1A on the schematic at 17.5 I

Ah ok, I do see that on the full schematic now. Thank you.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dodge-city-player-unit-sanity-check?hl=adammerkley and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.