Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by CTDnEUG
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider eyeamred2u.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from CTDnEUG:

I have an issue with my Dr Who 5-opto target bank (that is not quite addressed by the many other opto-bank posts on Pinside).
I had a problem with switch 74 not working since I got the machine. After disassembly and a quick visual inspection, the opto receiver for that switch seemed to be damaged. I soldered in a replacement receiver, but it still does not register hits to the mushroom button. And ... now switch 73 stopped working as well.
However, when I test with the opto bank plugged into its connector (but not reinstalled in the MPF), I noticed if I jam a fingertip into the space between emitter & receiver, I can get both switches 73 & 74 to register (on the Switch Edges test)! So it appears that both emitter and receivers are working, but somehow even with the mushroom button stems blocking the IR beam, still enough light is reaching the receiver that it does not trigger.
Is that possible? Any suggested fixes?
I have checked the emitters with a digital camera--all seem to be shining brightly.
I have installed Swink's aftermarket channel stiffener (https://www.shapeways.com/product/W3GJK4YJQ/doctor-who-mushroom-target-channel-add-on) which has light baffles built-in, so light leak from an adjacent opto seems unlikely (and these are 2 of the middle targets, so light is not leaking in from the end of the channel. And my original construction paper light shield is intact.
I have a multimeter, but am not sure exactly how to test the receivers for proper resistance, etc. with the bank unplugged from machine.
Any suggestions for next steps? pinball_faz have you seen this before? Thanks!

What color is the Swinks channel stiffener? Needs to be solid black.
Many times, Opto's need to be replaced in pairs, both emitter and reciever.

I believe there are posts that explain how to test emitter and recievers with a multimeter and you can use a flashlight on the reciever and your multimeter to see voltage change when you shine the light on it, then remove it. I have notes, I will post more when I find them

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from CTDnEUG:

Yes I noticed Swinks only offers black ones now--unfortunately I had it made in blue for some reason. I'm going to blacken the inside of it first, and see if that makes a difference. Will start further troubleshooting from there, if needed.

when I painted the inside of mine then plugged in my opto board, it made the sweetest sound of all the optos working again. I hope this solves your issue. If not, we are here to help.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from CTDnEUG:

eyeamred2u that's encouraging! I haven't had time to implement the fix yet. (And I'm a little nervous to try to buy black spray paint at the moment!) Will let you know.

I used Testors Acrylic Black Flat model paint and a small hobby brush rather than spray paint to do the inside.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

£ 110.00
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Johnson City, TN
Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 85.00
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider eyeamred2u.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-yet-another-opto-bank-problem?tu=eyeamred2u and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.