Topic Stats

• 184 posts
  • 53 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by swinks
  • Topic is favorited by 31 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 102 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Dylan's_Dr_Who_526_(resized).jpg
Dylan's_Dr_Who_527_(resized).jpg
20160103_183430_(resized).jpg
20160103_183314_(resized).jpg
20160103_183249_(resized).jpg
20160103_182751_(resized).jpg
20160103_132846_(resized).jpg
20160103_132832_(resized).jpg
screen-capture-15.png
screen-capture-7.png
625x465_4065566_13069937_1448278991.png
P1110257.jpg
P1110262.jpg
P1110265.jpg
image_1.jpg
image.jpg

There are 184 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#151 3 years ago

a little update:

I got 1 set of the painted whomobiles from Modfather in which I am happy with them (though I did ask to remove the gold glare markings off and blacken the headlight pockets as well as the seats) - sorry to be a pain Modfather but wanted it to be close to the renders. So for those wanting to get Modfather to paint up detail the colour scheme that you want for your set as I was a little vague and Modfather added a little bit of his creative flare which was not quite my vision but that was my mistake.

That aside I just wanted to share 2 photos to share my intention with the head lights.

- underneath shot shows a 5mm led resting in the provided pocket which will be hot glued in soon (excuse the screwdriver holding the wires down). With 2 leds it will add a glow to the underside to the ramp as well as project through the holes.

P1100974 copy.jpg

- topside photo just shows the light coming through the 2 provided holes - which will be on both sides.

P1100975 copy.jpg

#152 3 years ago

a little update:

heading to Lukas's place today for some install photos of painted whomobiles, once I get some photos I will work on a basic manual of how to install along with how to fit leds underneath in behind the headlights. Once the manual is finished I will release in this thread in the first post.

cheers

Jady

#153 3 years ago

Updated 31-10-15:

Installed a painted set of Whomobile's in a friends (Lukas) game and they fit well and look great. Working on a manual and will be up in the next few days. This model doesn't have lights installed as yet as they need to be hard wired and this set of Who's is for another fellow pinsider in Aus.

Lukas showed me his intention of directing a light from underneath back into the cabin and it also looks very cool as well as his custom windscreen. I am sure once Lukas has completed his mods that he will post here to show others other custom options.

Also on installation the rhs vehicle has about 5mm of side shift allowing the owner to slide over to their liking. As for the lhs vehicle the owner can side shift, pivot around up to about 30 degrees achieving you desired look.

P1110016.JPG
P1110001.JPG
P1100996.JPG

#154 3 years ago

Here's my paint job so far. Now to add LEDs. I plan on going with 2 whites on the inside holes connected to the appropriate WHO insert and then some steady red and green aircraft navigation lights to maintain FAA compliance. Possibly some flashers in the rear ports.

image_1.jpeg

image.jpeg

#155 3 years ago

nice work on the tv version Jgaltr56

here are a few photos that will be in the manual, that I will put up by the end of the weekend but this will give you some ideas

P1110106.JPG
P1110108.JPG
P1110111.JPG
P1110112.JPG

#156 3 years ago

On seeing Lukas's modified enclosed cockpit model with the windows cut out it dawned on me how to make a version with windows cut out. I so far have done a version for the collectors as a trial and soon will have a version for the pinball mods selection giving everyone 4 different options to add to their game.

My apologies to those that would of preferred this version, all I can say is "sorry" as I wasn't going to do it as I was struggling for a good way to do it - maybe suffered a bit of whomobile burn out at the time. But there will soon be a version for those wanting that.

Also for the collector version people can order a version with soon CUSTOMISED - 1 line of engraved text underneath, where you can add - Whomobile, for John, Doctor Who

625x465_4005372_12811465_1446879770.png

#157 3 years ago

please see attached v1.0 of the manual for a guide to prep, wiring (my approach), and installation. This manual was also added to post 1 as well.

enjoy and thanks for your support

DW Whomobile Mod - Manual V-01.pdf

#158 3 years ago

Mine so far. Still have some work to go with real lighting and a little touch up… but I feel good about it.

20151109_181259.jpg

20151109_181310.jpg

20151109_181319.jpg

#159 3 years ago
Quoted from robgest:

Mine so far. Still have some work to go with real lighting and a little touch up… but I feel good about it.

awesome works, love the extra details, front little orange lights and the step labels

#160 3 years ago

You know whats going to happen? You are going to make these so good looking, the rest of the table is going to look like crap! (A good problem to have, I guess)

#161 3 years ago
Quoted from BALL_LESS1:

You know whats going to happen? You are going to make these so good looking, the rest of the table is going to look like crap! (A good problem to have, I guess)

lol, Doctor who is a cool game, it deserves some mods as been a bit low on mod options.

#162 3 years ago

My DW is going to be a little different then the rest. I'm doing a 52 year pin that will have all the doctors. A little spoiler......small.jpg

#163 3 years ago
Quoted from robgest:

My DW is going to be a little different then the rest. I'm doing a 52 year pin that will have all the doctors. A little spoiler......small.jpg

MUST... GET... THAT... TRANSLITE! OMG thats nice!

#164 3 years ago
Quoted from Clnilsen:

MUST... GET... THAT... TRANSLITE! OMG thats nice!

Thank you very much. Its been a labor of love.

#165 3 years ago

If you ever decide to have a run of those made or are willing to share the image file (psd?) so we can get it printed ourselves, I would be very interested.

#166 3 years ago
Quoted from Lame33:

If you ever decide to have a run of those made or are willing to share the image file (psd?) so we can get it printed ourselves, I would be very interested.

Seconded.

#167 3 years ago

My who mobiles are in their new home. Left LED on GI, right in video mode image.jpgimage.jpg

#168 3 years ago

Very nice. My machine should be done by the first of the year.

#169 3 years ago
Quoted from robgest:

Nice to see you got the DW sign lined up with the lights in the Backboard (something that almost ALL the alt. translites forget.)

How do the doctors line up with the other lights & Flashers?

#170 3 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Nice to see you got the DW sign lined up with the lights in the Backboard (something that almost ALL the alt. translites forget.)
How do the doctors line up with the other lights & Flashers?

Thank you,

I worked hard to make sure the original lights worked with the original characters. I think I am going to do custom lighting with all the other characters. So I will more than likely change out the light board and replace all lights.

#171 3 years ago

just got some collector samples in today, with one being the cockpit with window openings, and looks pretty good with just one minor change and then I will open the pinball mod version in the next day or so.

P1110265.JPG
P1110257.JPG
P1110262.JPG

#172 3 years ago

just finished the final Dr Who pinball mod version with a cockpit but with the windows cut out. Compared to the one pictured in the previous post, I increased the radius at the top centre of the windows and beefed up the centre pillar as had a little bit of flex - though beefed up on the underside and chamfered the edges so not obvious.

https://www.shapeways.com/search?q=swinkswho%3F&sort=newest

Have Fun

625x465_4065566_13069937_1448278991.png

1 week later
#173 3 years ago

good time to buy if you want any whomobiles - 20% off and free shipping

20% off all parts and free shipping

https://www.shapeways.com/search?q=swinkswho%3F&sort=newest

screen-capture-7.png

1 week later
#174 3 years ago

Wish I had seen this in time as I would've bought some. Any other sales coming up?

#175 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballshark:

Wish I had seen this in time as I would've bought some. Any other sales coming up?

I never know until they have them, but in the past have had ones around Xmas / New Years

but generally every 2 months seems to be some sort of deals on offer.

#176 3 years ago

Okay, thanks. Great work btw.

2 weeks later
#177 2 years ago

well if you really love Doctor Who - now you can get a blue print t-shirt

http://www.redbubble.com/shop/whomobile

screen-capture-15.png

1 week later
#178 2 years ago

So it's been a will since I've update my progress. We have been flat out with other commitments but finally found some time to dedicate to this mod.

Here are my two painted ready for electronics. Notice that I have installed a windscreen into them.

My youngest "Joshua" wants to help so I'm getting him to put the LED's into the vehicle. We may actually finish installing these today so look out for further updates.

20160103_132832_(resized).jpg

20160103_132846_(resized).jpg

#179 2 years ago

looking great, nice work

#180 2 years ago

OK I had enough today, so here is where we got to.

So we tested some colours and decided to go with yellow head lights and a purple interior light.

Under the vehicle

We did this by ripping apart some pinball LED's from their holder and gluing them directly into the vehicle. You will notice that I've painted the section where the headlights go in black as the LED was shining through the paint. After gluing the headlights in I painted the glue black as well to ensure that the yellow only comes out of the light on front. You will also see a polycarbonate strip holding a single purple LED pointing up. I did this so that the light will come through the cabin and since I left underneath unpainted it makes the purple glow from underneath the vehicle.

I haven't permanently mounted it yet but I done a test fit and these are the results.

Close Up

Overall look from the players perspective

Compare it to the original and you tell me which one you would prefer? Also I think adding the windscreen was a wise move as I believe it just completes the vehicle.

Comparison

#181 2 years ago

very nice mate, looks so much better

2 weeks later
#182 2 years ago

Very nice....

2 months later
#183 2 years ago

love it

Dylan's_Dr_Who_527_(resized).jpg

Dylan's_Dr_Who_526_(resized).jpg

1 week later
#184 2 years ago

looks great, thanks for sharing...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 28.00
Boards
PinSound
4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
There are 184 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside