Topic Stats

• 184 posts
  • 53 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by swinks
  • Topic is favorited by 32 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 102 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Dylan's_Dr_Who_526_(resized).jpg
Dylan's_Dr_Who_527_(resized).jpg
20160103_183430_(resized).jpg
20160103_183314_(resized).jpg
20160103_183249_(resized).jpg
20160103_182751_(resized).jpg
20160103_132846_(resized).jpg
20160103_132832_(resized).jpg
screen-capture-15.png
screen-capture-7.png
625x465_4065566_13069937_1448278991.png
P1110257.jpg
P1110262.jpg
P1110265.jpg
image_1.jpg
image.jpg

There are 184 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 4 years ago

Please add me to the list. Looking forward to the updates!

#52 4 years ago

up to v10, with the seat details in with just the following left to do
- steering wheel and some little dash details
- racks in the rear tray
- mounting system to ramps

I just printed a sample to check out the looks and so far pretty good, but will have to see it in a game to check that the size is not too big

v10-3.pngv10-2.pngv10-1.png

#53 4 years ago

Looks great! I found these online that show a closed cockpit too. Might be easier to print and give more room for the switch.

image.jpg

image.jpg

#55 4 years ago

I'm interested also depending on price.
Thanks

#56 4 years ago

yeah the enclose cockpit will hopefully be added to the design as a add on like the original car, but if I went that way it wouldn't have windscreens in it and then the pillar frames would be thin so not sure on success in making.

behind the seat should almost be enough room to cover the switch

#57 4 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

yeah the enclose cockpit will hopefully be added to the design as a add on like the original car, but if I went that way it wouldn't have windscreens in it and then the pillar frames would be thin so not sure on success in making.
behind the seat should almost be enough room to cover the switch

I'd be ok with windscreen decals or I could paint them on. No need for pillar frames

#58 4 years ago

I'd be interested, depending on price. Good job!

#59 4 years ago

You could put a reed switch under the open cockpit design. It will increase the price a bit. Is there enough current in the switch matrix return to pull in a relay to power lights when the ball goes by?

-c

#60 4 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

I'd be ok with windscreen decals or I could paint them on. No need for pillar frames

Yeah, it's not like there is a flasher in there. So no need for light to shine through.

#61 4 years ago

im interested as well

#62 4 years ago

Please, add me to the list I'm very interested; looks amazing!! Great idea!! Look forward to final rendering

#63 4 years ago

I changed some curves in the cockpit near the step in, started mocking up the roof concept and changed the way I am going to hollow out underneath to reduce cost. I did a test print and the scale looks good but my mount idea needs some fine tuning. so things left to do are: the rear racks, roof (a small challenge), some more hollowing out, mount bracket then a 2nd test print and test fit. The goal is the mount fits to the ramp where the existing whomobile is, then the new who mobile fastens on to the mount with one screw (which I hope will be via the hole in the roof and the screw / screw hole will be in the seat so a really simple install (a few minutes).

I also have a reed / magnetic switch but think this might not get much support as the cost will go up and the market smaller as people want a plug and play not solder and crimp mod.

v11_top.png

v11_front.png

v11_back.png

#64 4 years ago

Looking awesome Swinks!! Thanks for the update!

Brian

#65 4 years ago

Is this a physical thing that will available or will we be able to print these ourselves?

#66 4 years ago

it will be an order / sell item

#67 4 years ago

Swinks mods are top notch, really well thought out and done. This looks to be another great mod.

I have a customers Dr. Who coming in early November and i will need this if you make a run at it. Keep up the great work Jady.

Chris
www.rockcustompinball.com

#68 4 years ago

finished the details and the proposed mounting point is in the middle of the bench seat so with a black screw not obvious

I did take a step back and removed the roof pillar to concentrate on the details and mounting and is now totally hollowed out with the centre of gravity being right over the screw down location making it stable.

details done - storage racks, 2 tone dash, steering wheel, instrument panel, seat and arm rests and tweaked a few dash angles and made some hollow outs so if people want to paint up and install a mini figure in it they can.

v13 top back.png

#69 4 years ago

ok went to a fellow Pinside members place today to check brackets and fitting and made some progress under the hood. We were going along with putting the boot section over the switch but we worked out we would have to chop some of the back of the vehicle out which wasn't ideal. There was room under the bonnet for the switch so now changed direction to mounting the bracket using the previous whomobile screw holes but now with the bracket resting as well on the switch bracket and the extending out the back and resting on the ramp so lots of rest load points. We will slot the mounting points in the bracket as the lhs is angled compared to the rhs so allows the owner to adjust and change the look. We also will slot the bench seat as once the windscreen is on this will not be seen but this will also allow the owner to adjust the angle to suit their liking.

In addition moving the vehicle's bonnet over the switch fills a void in the back lhs corner and still clears everything.

The bracket will be slightly visible but you will have a colour choice of black, red or blue to suit the ramps.

Also having the bonnet over the switch allows for wiring to come up to the cabin or headlights without being seen with room to spare. Add I also squeezed in a hollow section behind the dash allowing for lighting as well as up through foot wells.

thoughts....

v16_whomobile_and_mount.png
v16_whomobile_trans_and_mount.png

#70 4 years ago

Looks good!

#71 4 years ago

Looks great! Any chance at lighting?

#72 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Looks great! Any chance at lighting?

it has been hollowed out including through holes in the head lights and hollow cavity in the dash so people can light up behind possible gauges etc.

depending on the price of parts I may pre install some small leds with a small length of cable for people to then connect up to a feature - haven't got that far.

I am still not commenting on price until the design is finished and I make a few sets to see how it looks, gauge what people think etc

#74 4 years ago

Looks good to me. Good job!

#75 4 years ago

You have my interest.

#76 4 years ago

ok here is a little teaser (- it is real and not just models ) from last weeks trial test fit where we decided to house the switch under the bonnet instead of the boot so it is just sitting there or me holding it in place. It does not block any playing view and we think it will fill a void of nothing at the back.

we think the scale looks good and any smaller and we can't fit the switch underneath and one of the main goals is to house the switch to remove the ugly. The scale is very close 1:40 of approximate size. The original vehicle was 14 feet long x 7 feet wide (approx 4300mm x 2200 mm wide). The whomobile model will be approximately 116mm long x 57mm wide x 37mm high.

And it won't be made on a home printer so it will have colour and look sharper in detail and have solid walls etc. This was a rough 0.25mm layers print to to see how we are going.

back lhs corner
P1100514.JPG

rhs whomobile ramp
P1100515.JPG

#77 4 years ago

Whoot! Looks GREAT!!!!
faz

#80 4 years ago

So Awesome looking! This will do for Dr who, what the Tron arcade cabinet mod did for Tron.

Brian

#81 4 years ago
Quoted from bpull:

So Awesome looking! This will do for Dr who, what the Tron arcade cabinet mod did for Tron.
Brian

Thanks Brian as well as everyone else, really appreciate the kind words.

I don't pump out a heap of different mods but try to achieve a cool, detailed mod - the tron arcade cabinet is very a cool mod, would love to get a tron one day. and I probably will never get back what I have put into this but it now about the challenge to finish the design so it reflects the original vehicle and looks cool.

hoping to organise another test fit (bracket and switch covering) this weekend and then I can concentrate on finishing the windscreen designs and then get some samples made.

#82 4 years ago

Looks good so far swings. Looking forward to the final product.

#83 4 years ago

Looks great. With that level of detail I would choose SLA over FDM for the printing process. But That's a little too $ for prototyping. Does shapeways let you choose the print method? Keep up the good work.

#84 4 years ago

looking at SLS printing but Shapeways has a new feature for the designers only where they can 3d colour and laser bind the nylon particles. So if I specify red lights with a black shadow line thats what it will be or the silver racks in the boot with a black shadow line that is what it will be. I would then Kryon UV clear coat the final print to stop any fade, enhance the colour a bit more, and give it a nice classy look. So in theory the colours in the model images is very similar to how it should come out.

here is another designers sample straight off the 3d printer & colouring process, with no clear coat

fcp-top-kerbal.jpg

I did a creature tail fin mod and will be ordering over the weekend 2 custom bodies section in which I can specify a custom colour for the body but also for the logo and a shadow line. I also factored in all black on the inside so no light shines through except where the logo is so hoping that the light will pass through the logo to the outside. Finish off with a clear coat and should look great, fingers crossed.

custom aqua.png
custom pink.png

#86 4 years ago

Ahh yes, I forgot about the Zcorp color SLS. Those are nice, but can be fragile. I think your model is solid enough and the clear coat should help protect it. Edit: Oh this is Nylon...and not that bonded resin...should be very durable.

http://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/17686-full-color-plastic-3d-print-material-torture-test-video.html

#87 4 years ago

Will the model have a smooth finish?

#88 4 years ago

If you look up at that little alien guy you would see the texture. With a little clear coat is should be very smooth to the touch.

#89 4 years ago
Quoted from catboxer:

Ahh yes, I forgot about the Zcorp color SLS. Those are nice, but can be fragile. I think your model is solid enough and the clear coat should help protect it. Edit: Oh this is Nylon...and not that bonded resin...should be very durable.
http://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/17686-full-color-plastic-3d-print-material-torture-test-video.html

glad you added the editted your post and I prefer not to have people getting worried un-necessarily.

Shapeways offer 2 full colour materials:
1. is a plaster powder bonded with glue with a slightly grainy finish which has been very successful in offering fairly detailed parts which are vibrant in colour. Products in this is subject to fading if wet. iMaterialise offer the same process, calling it a different name for whatever reasons and they do it in a standard finish as well as a UV clear coat which strengthens it up and protects it from fading and moisture as well as giving it a smooth finish. This UV coat is a Kryon Clear Coat which I intend to be using even though it is not required for the nylon version.
2. is the nylon which there standard product is white but they also offer 8 colours done via a dying process because if you cut into these it is white inside as well. The full colour printing process is diiferent as is performed while 3d printing, with this option at this stage only being offered to designers at this stage to trial so trust me if I am not happy it won't be done in this process. This plastic is very strong so please do not be concerned and with a coat or 2 of UV clear will smooth it off, make it stronger again and make it look great I am sure.

I have plenty of designs that many people have already ordered from Shapeways and this is far stronger than home 3D printed products as the home printers create a number of 0.1mm shells (outer skin layers) and then a beehive pattern fill - so very hollow and subject to heat.

Some people will be familiar with PinballMikeD AC/DC lcd mod with the band stage mod. Mike and I worked together on this project and many people already have the stage dress mod which is available here

https://www.shapeways.com/search?q=swinksacca

294477.png

Also 100 people are familiar with my CFTBL Snackbar Mod which is the same nylon but in white with a couple of coats of colour and this is close to the ball action but I designed that to be 5mm and thicker near where the ball action is. It is strong and durable.

P1070564 - Version 2.JPG

Bonded resin is a different process again which I use for the lens in the CFTBL Tail light mod and fits the purpose for the type of material.

Tail Light Mod.jpg

I also make the Goldeneye satellite dish in the nylon with quite a number of sales and no reported issues to date and that is copping direct ball hits.

Trust me I wouldn't promote a item if it was not to my expectations or subject to failure, so I hope this removes any concern some may have plus where the whomobiles will be placed would be a 1 in 1000 + games chance of getting a ball to these locations and even then confident that it would handle the impact just fine.

#90 4 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Will the model have a smooth finish?

I am positive it will be smooth, as like the snackbar mods I want it to look professional

Also I have some other designs coming soon in the trial option so I will see very soon what the finish is like and what can be achieved.

#91 4 years ago

Thanks for posting the snack bar mod. That is badass. Look forward to seeing the finished who mobiles

#92 4 years ago

Interested in the Who mobile

#93 4 years ago

Please add me to the List of those interested in the Who mobile

#94 4 years ago

Hmm, depending on when this gets done it's looking like a possible Christmas present.

#95 4 years ago
Quoted from Boiler415:

Hmm, depending on when this gets done it's looking like a possible Christmas present.

my goal is definitely to have 1-2 options available before Christmas

#96 4 years ago

a little update

- original alien car is almost done with the windscreen but the windscreen would be white unless someone wants to do a decal - but will be so small as the front windscreen is about 16mm wide.
- and a cross section showing the hollowing as well as a small pocket behind the dash for people that want to light up a gauge or something as well as the black pockets that lead to the back of the headlights for led lighting possibilities and under the bonnet for switch clearance.

v18_front.png
v18_side.png
v18 half.png

the original Alien whomobile
Who4.jpg

#97 4 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

I also make the Goldeneye satellite dish in the nylon with quite a number of sales and no reported issues to date and that is copping direct ball hits.

I didn't see the Goldeneye dish on the shapeways link.

2 weeks later
#100 4 years ago

ok so on the 3rd print we got a nice fit with allowance for you the customer to adjust the angle to your liking, some minor tweaks still to be done to the mount bracket but heading in the right direction.

here is the lhs side with a windscreen version installed and angle mounted so once lighting goes in you could see the head lights.

there will be 3 versions available
- without a screen as you get to see the dash etc
- with the windscreen only (like the original personal vehicle)
- with the enclosed cockpit like the tv series (still yet to finish this design)

lhs who1.jpg
lhs who2.jpg

here is the rhs one installed as well and to add the one mount screw is in the seat and it is slotted to you can side shift the whomobile and twist to your liking to house the switch. The switch is now under the bonnet as we found there was more space there and the bracket made a little more sense to suit this mod.

Overall we think the mod is looking nice and at a nice scale, any smaller and it would not cover the switch.

I will not be printing these so end product will be solid with allowance for head lights and under lighting if you wish.

rhs who2.jpg
rhs who1.jpg

here is the mount with the whomobile seat centred over the cylinder riser.

the bracket is cut away in the centre so the who bracket can rest on the metal switch bracket for some added load support. the bracket is also slotted at the 2 mount points to allow for any game variance but also the screw holes on the lhs are not straight - rather slightly angled so one bracket suits both sides.

The bracket will be solid nylon as well and be available in red, blue, black, white and maybe the metal flake.

who mount.jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 239.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 135.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
There are 184 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside