• Latest reply 10 years ago by corvair61
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

who.gif
#1 10 years ago

Looking to buy a pinball this weekend, preferable $3,000 or less. Both Doctor Who and Judge Dredd are available and I am curious what everyone thinks of these two.

Also, if anyone has a machine for sale in AZ, let me know. I might be interested.

Thanks!

#2 10 years ago

Both are great games, and I don't think you'd go wrong with either.

JD plays a bit slower with the widebody layout, while DW is a bit faster.

To me DW is very much like a "Pin*Bot on steroids", which is a very good thing. Great playfield toy in the Time Expander, and quite a bit of strategy in choosing doctors and the like.

JD is much more linear in the starting and finishing of modes, but there's a TON of stuff to shoot for. Also remember it has no pop bumpers.

Either way, good luck and enjoy!

Later,
EV

#3 10 years ago

Both are pretty good value pins and a lot of fun.

Dr. Who is more of a scoring-based game and Judge Dredd is more mode-based. Dredd can be a little harder to dial in and keep playing perfectly in my experience (I've owned both), especially if you have (or install) the deadworld mod.

Slight edge to Dr. Who for me. Can't go wrong with either though!

#4 10 years ago

Dr who without a doubt

#5 10 years ago

I had a lot of fun playing Dr. Who.

I don't want one, but it was fun.

#6 10 years ago

for me it comes down to theme and which you want FIRST. because both are totally worth owning.

Sound is way better on JD. the daleks get a bit annoying on DW.

#7 10 years ago

DW is my first and and keeper for me.

#8 10 years ago

DW is a very interesting game but kind of one note going for loops. Some people also find it extrememly annoying in the audio department, although it doesn't bother me.

#9 10 years ago

I have both of these right now as my only two pins. DW is newer and I'm enjoying it more than JD. They are both very different kinds of games. Dredd is a mode-based game where the modes are all timed. It is a harder game but can be made easier. DW is all about points and multipliers, its more old school in that way. There is less variety in DW but possibly more depth in the strategy.

They're both awesome games but I think I'll hang onto DW much longer.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from sawyerfamilyaz:

Looking to buy a pinball this weekend, preferable $3,000 or less. Both Doctor Who and Judge Dredd are available and I am curious what everyone thinks of these two.
Also, if anyone has a machine for sale in AZ, let me know. I might be interested.
Thanks!

I have had both and JD is still here, the doctor is out. Neither theme does a ton for me, but JD is deeper and I like that in a pin. You should be able to get both for WAY under $3,000. In the right situation you could get both for $3,000.

#11 10 years ago

Also - standard "he's not a Dr." post

Quoted from LesManley:

Doctor is like BSD in that you have to max out your jackpots in multiball.

EDIT BSD relies on multiballs though...DH they aren't that important.

#12 10 years ago

This thread is a lot like JD vs. BSD. Doctor is like BSD in that you have to max out your jackpots in multiball. I have had both and JD is still here, the doctor is out. Neither theme does a ton for me, but JD is deeper and I like that in a pin. You should be able to get both for WAY under $3,000. In the right situation you could get both for $3,000.

#13 10 years ago

JD is a widebody but IMO one of the fastest ones out there. If a variety and a quantity of interesting shots is your bag, JD is a no brainer.

Dr. Who is a fun game as well. You are going to get answer across the board. The dead world mod is only $60 and makes that a neat toy with the crane etc. Dr Who has a great toy as well.

Honestly, I would have bought either but JD was the one I had a shot at so I took it.

I would pay about $1,400 unshopped to $1,600 shopped.

#14 10 years ago

DW was my 2nd machine and I still own it. It's a great game that I find challenging to this day. Also, mini playfields and ramps have been reproduced so consider that when purchasing. Also, get the Cliffys for the min-playfield, they dress it up nicely.

#15 10 years ago

Judge Dread has great art and an interesting layout, but my gameplay experience with it has been very frustrating. I'm currently blaming that on having only played on one JD that, possibly, just isn't very nice to people. +1 the Dead World mod.

Doctor Who is good. Great if you enjoy clever rules (although there is some lopsided stuff to the ruleset...be cool if someone tried balancing the rules a little bit). Fantastic if you're a fan of the old version of the show. This is where the Audio gripes come in. If you're a fan of the show, the sounds of the Daleks and Davros are perfect (I can't even imagine them NOT putting those sounds into a Dr. Who pinball). If you're not a fan, you're going to have a huge "WTF?!?" face when the game starts screaming at you. You'll think the audio quality is really poor, when actually that is exactly what those characters sound like on the TV show.

You're likely golden choosing either one.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Are these prices really realistic though? If so, I am not going to be buying any machines for quite a while because I can't remember the last DMD machine I saw for less than $2,000.

#17 10 years ago

Played both, and while Judge Dredd is still on my 'someday' list I have had a Doctor Who for a few years now and do not ever see it leaving. Even now it still manages to surprise me now and then, and as a long time 'Whovian', well...

And the moving Dalek on top alternately amuses/scares the heck out of the Grandkids, so bonus!

#18 10 years ago

Are these prices really realistic though? If so, I am not going to be buying any machines for quite a while because I can't remember the last DMD machine I saw for less than $2,000.

You can definitely get DMD games for under 2,000 still. I do not think Judge Dredd can still be found at those prices though, but if your lucky Doctor Who can.

I got my unshopped Doctor Who off craigslist here in California in December for $1,100.

#19 10 years ago

IMO yes. I bought an unshopped but very nice JD on Sunday for $1,350. Granted, I'm already into it for $200 worth of parts, but that includes the deadworld mod and new trough opto boards because I didn't want to deal with them. Flipper rebuilds, bats, bushings all around, rubbers, pinballs....

Are these prices really realistic though?

Quoted from jalpert:

#20 10 years ago

I played Dr. Who a few months ago and it was a HOOT! Cool stuff I never saw before. Go with the Doc!

who.gifwho.gif

#21 10 years ago

Both are excellent games, and some of the best value-for-money titles available right now. I couldn't pick between the two overall. As was noted by EchoVictor, Doctor Who is a lot like Pinbot in some regards. Judge Dredd isn't really like anything else that I've played

Judge Dredd is commonly referred to as a $1400 game; that's a bit lower than the average, but the majority of sales fall in the range of $1300-1800. I'd say $1600 is about right for the game at this point. With patience, you may find one for less; I did.

My knowledge of Doctor Who prices isn't as good, but I'd say $1800, roughly.

I own a Judge Dredd, and a friend nearby has a Doctor Who. I've played both a fair bit, and think both are easily worth the going rate.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from daley:

You can definitely get DMD games for under 2,000 still. I do not think Judge Dredd can still be found at those prices though, but if your lucky Doctor Who can.
I got my unshopped Doctor Who off craigslist here in California in December for $1,100.

Dredd has been on the rise, but they still pop up frequently for WELL under $2k. Jalpert and I can both attest to that from first-hand experience.

#23 10 years ago

Dr Who,friken love this game!

#24 10 years ago

Doctor Who gets my vote.

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

Dredd has been on the rise, but they still pop up frequently for WELL under $2k. Jalpert and I can both attest to that from first-hand experience.

I know I got a bit screwed on my JD price wise (first pin) but I just don't see these deals on pinball machines. Where do people find them?

#26 10 years ago

Add a poll!

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from Miknan:

I know I got a bit screwed on my JD price wise (first pin) but I just don't see these deals on pinball machines. Where do people find them?

I found mine on either Craigslist or eBay, met up with the guy in person (about an hour North of here.) Talked him down a bit, and walked away with the game for what I realized later was a pretty damn good price. His grandpa had run a business with several games on location, and this guy was basically liquidating that stuff. He said it was all collectors buying stuff, no other operators.

The good deals tend to come from people not really familiar with the current pinball market - people who aren't collectors.

#28 10 years ago

I have both machines. Though, Dr. Who will be the one that stays longer.

#29 10 years ago

I wish I had my Who back...the screaming Daleks are awesome!!

#30 10 years ago

If I get tired of Dredd, I would consider trading it for a Doctor Who.

If I had a Doctor Who and got tired of it, I'd gladly trade it for Dredd.

#31 10 years ago

Im looking for a Who!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
£ 110.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pasadena, TX
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-vs-judge-dredd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.