• Doctor Who 18 votes
    44%
  • The Getaway 23 votes
    56%

(41 votes)

#1 6 years ago

Take a Moment to coment on your choice!

#2 6 years ago

If you are a fan of Doctor who then Doctor who but Getaway is a really cool fast game.

#3 6 years ago

IMO DW is a lot harder, especiall if you set the video mode to hard and. Much more fun, too. I love Getaway, but it's a fast - and short - game. DW has a bit of a story and you have multiple playfield setups with the amazing miniplayfield. On the other hand, it is a LOT of work to get working great

EDIT: Adding a PinSound to either of these games completely transforms them. For my DW mix I changed the story a bit and added the newer doctors - Getaway adds the actual ZZ Top song and a bunch of other cool things. Can't go wrong

#4 6 years ago

Depends on what theme you like more. Personally, I like Getaway more.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

Depends on what theme you like more. Personally, I like Getaway more.

Theme? I'd rather choose based on gameplay.

Anyway, I've owned both in the past and they're both a ton of fun. Doctor Who is a MUCH deeper game and demands a more strategic approach to it than The Getaway does. The Getaway provides some crazy fast speed and combo shooting that can be very satisfying as well. Both are pretty dang approachable for newcomers.

For a smaller collection, DW will probably last quite a bit longer as the deeper ruleset and more varied shot geometry takes longer to master. Whether you're cranking up multipliers and carrying them into multiball or piling up W-H-O combos, it's really fun looping combos. The Getaway is a fantastic game in a larger collection for when you want to play a very fast game that's very straightforward. There aren't tons of ways to approach The Getaway, but it's always a rush.

If I had a chance to take either back into my collection, however, I would take Doctor Who.

#6 6 years ago

Yeah, I do agree. Doctor Who is a way deeper game. If it is one of your only games, I would go with Doctor Who too. I just like Getaway more.

#7 6 years ago

I've owned Getaway... enjoyed it, but it didn't last long in my collection.

#10 6 years ago

I have owned both, sold Dr Who. Dr. Who was a real let down. The sounds are horrible and hard to understand. It also has alot of cheap drains down the middle from the time expander. Getting and keeping the playfeild multipliers going is frustrating.
I have owned HS2 for a long, long time. It is a great pin. I love making repetitive loops (easier than DrWho.) Getting 3 balls in the super charger is fun but not game dependent. HS2 has a fun video mode(dr Who video mode is just dumb) Getaway has simple rules with really fun call-outs. It also has the very BEST jackpot light show in pinball.

#11 6 years ago

You might have to be a dr who fan to like the pinball machine. I played it and thought nothing of it, no desire to own it or ever play it again.
Getaway I owned for a while, I liked it better than high speed but i found it to be a little on the easy side. Guests really liked it too.

#12 6 years ago

Tough call as both games I have an unhealthy addiction to. Probably edge towards the Doctor.

#13 6 years ago

Souped up DW can be significantly more fun than stock:

#14 6 years ago

Both are fun games but I personally think getaway is a better game. But I like doctor who more and own one because of the theme and it can be a good game as well if you set it up hard.

#15 6 years ago

Owned both; sold HS2 fairly quickly, still own DW.

HS2 got stale fast due to its lack of depth and the fact that its shots are fairly easy to make. After a month its repetitiveness bored me, every game was the same. Dont even get me started on how annoying the zz top will get after awhile.

DW has so much more depth and it has a thrill of trying to keep up your multipliers or sustaining combos, both are necessary for good scores. Its a much harder game to consistently score well vs HS2, so better for home ownership imo. Plus the time expander is one of the best toys in pinball!

They made twice as many HS2 so id grab DW if both are available, it will be easier to get a HS2 anytime.

3 weeks later
#16 6 years ago

I have both. I think Getaway is a better game. I like progressing through the modes. Both great.

#17 6 years ago

DW by a mile! Some people find the music annoying but I really like it. Add a PinSound for a really rockin’ version!

#18 6 years ago

Own them both, love them both, never letting either one go.

I did have buyer's remorse for a couple months after getting my DW. I didn't really understand the game, mostly because it was the first time I'd encountered a pin with variables built in that affect scoring and game play. But once I understood what was going on, it became a forever keeper.

Pinsound is huge for both these games. A pinsider (pinballshark, maybe?) made some awesome DW mixes that really add to the experience. Another pinsider (MrTantrum) has done the same with Getaway.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
G-Money Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 20.00
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

£ 110.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-vs-getaway and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.