• 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by martymart
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0A196D0B-4A76-407C-946A-AA59FA1ADB3F (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider martymart.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

I just picked up a Doctor Who pinball although at this stage I have not been able to start a game. When the machine is turned on the volume keeps increasing and I can only go into the adjustments menu.

I have reset all the cables and ribbons and cannot see anything that looks out of place. Has anyone seen this problem before and if so please point me in the right direction.

#3 3 years ago

I thought that may have been the case but it looks ok.

0A196D0B-4A76-407C-946A-AA59FA1ADB3F (resized).jpeg0A196D0B-4A76-407C-946A-AA59FA1ADB3F (resized).jpeg
#5 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Go into switch test and check the volume up switch is not stuck on.

I thought that may have been the case although it was not stuck. I also isolated the switch to see if that helped. Wish that was the issue but unfortunately not.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from generalgman:

Have a close look at the top 3 right hand legs of U20. It looks like there is evidence of corrosion there. It also looks like the resistor above U 20 also has some green corrosion.

I will need to have a closer look as I think you are correct. Do I need to replace these components or can it cleaned off.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Buy a new MPU if you can, leave alkaline damage in the trash can. Just my opinion as my game had a board with your issue and I always try the fix the corrosion solution, but it is just no longer worth the headaches and time. Some techs have great success, some have do not. If you feel you want to try it, it is worth the learning experience for sure. Good luck and the group is here to help.

Thanks for your advice.
In sun light you could see the corrosion better and after testing the switch matrix on the board there were a couple of columns out on the switch matrix and a couple of other switches that would not fire not to mention some other problems.

I am getting the board repaired at this stage to see how it goes. From there if I have future issues I will just replace it.

#13 3 years ago

After a lrage amount of repair to the MPU the game is up and running. Thanks to everyone for their comments.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

£ 110.00
3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Johnson City, TN
4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider martymart.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-volume-keeps-going-up-and-cant-start-game?tu=martymart and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.