Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DalekDivot.jpg
BracketDown.jpg
Bracket.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Posting this in case others experience this issue:

Just picked up an extremely nice Dr. Who, seller let me play test it and everything, no complaints. Except after a while I realized the daleks weren't there on the 3rd level of the Time Expander. Everything worked since they don't affect operation of the game, I just forgot they should be there for visual effect. Were they missing?

Nope... turns out they were there, but the spring-bar that resets their position was not being triggered when the T-E moved. Here's why:

DalekDivot.jpgDalekDivot.jpg

The round bar coming out of the 3rd / Dalek level, operates a spring that releases the targets when they've been flipped up. The round bar is pressed in when it rubs against the main playfield as the T-E moves. You can see the divot worn into the main pf from this.

In addition, if you look carefully, you'll notice that the bar's "resting" position is even with the edge of the T-E's mini playfield itself. So even though it works manually, it seems like it could never engage with the main pf in the first place. Maybe something was misaligned by a previous owner?

Unfortunately, that round bar is very stout and cannot be adjusted, or bent easily (if at all?) without dismantling the entire T-E. Ugh. Must be an easier way to close the gap...

There is...:

Bracket.jpgBracket.jpg

I made a bracket out of scrap 1/32" steel from an old PC power supply casing. The hole was pre-drilled, so I used tin snips to cut the sheet to shape, and then bent it as shown.

BracketDown.jpgBracketDown.jpg

There's enough room between existing pf mounting hardware to attach the new bracket. The extended portion of the flap points forward so that it fully engages Dalek reset. Because other hardware would get in the way, the flap needs to point down so that the T-E's top level does not snag on the bracket.

And that's it. It's easy to adjust or bend the bracket to fit various wear and T-E adjustment clearances if need be, but the bracket is sturdy enough that the softer spring pressure should yield without deforming it. At any rate, I'm now greeted by Daleks when the third level rises... so I can EXTERMINATE them properly!

#2 8 years ago

Good fix! Fyi the reset bar is not supposed to reset on the pf, you are missing a small assembly that has a roller on it that the bar would hit and reset.

#5 8 years ago

Agh, you know that feeling when a problem, cause, and solution seems so self-evident that you don't bother to research it much further because it was *self evident*? Curses!

Actually, I researched it some: but the manuals make no mention or pictorial of that bracket, that I saw! And I didn't see any obvious signs of a missing part such as unfilled holes or dirt marks. Where is that bracket supposed to go? Still, it makes sense given the position of the reset bar, though it begs a question of how the main pf got worn as mine did...

Thanks for the clarification everyone. I'm happy my improvised fix works, but it would be nice to have it as originally designed and intended. But dang - $25 for a little bracket??! My fix was all of free and functional...

#6 8 years ago

The bracket attaches to the MPF bolts on that side. They are longer and stick through the bottom of the playfield. The bracket fits over them and is held in place with a couple of nylock nuts.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

Where is that bracket supposed to go?

There's a pdf at the very bottom of my "website" https://sites.google.com/site/pinballfaz/

Check out section 3.4.1 - figure 5/6.

faz

#8 8 years ago

Thanks Faz, that guide is well written and illustrated... I'm sure it will be handy eventually!

Actually, I'm hoping not too soon but maybe it's relevant though I didn't see you mention it: my mini-pf seems to rest a bit too low, as a ball that rolls into it with insufficient momentum will hang on the transition lip and the only way to get it out of there is to remove the glass. I'm thinking there should be a way to adjust the height of the mini pf relative to the main. But I didn't see any "adjustments" in your guide, other than to ensure the mechanism operates smoothly without binding... and mine works smooth and nice, it's square and level but apparently just not high enough, probably by just a millimeter. What's the best way to adjust the final height position?

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

I'm thinking there should be a way to adjust the height of the mini pf relative to the main

washers under side brackets...

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

washers under side brackets...

+1

#11 8 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm all about "simple", just wanted to make sure there wasn't something to align within the mech itself.

But man, you guys ain't kidding when you say the mini pf can be a PITA. I found a couple washers that elevated the platfom just about dead even with the main pf... and holy airballs and impossible locks! WTH?

So I removed the washers and made some small shims out of thin aluminum sheet, just a tad thicker than canstock. BOOM! Back to normal performance, and if anything the mech seems a little smoother than it was... and hopefully it's raised just enough to solve the hangup issue (or at least nudge it out).

And in better news, the guys I bought the game from offered and agreed to buy the proper reset bracket, even though neither of us realized it should have been there at the time of sale.

Thanks for the tips guys!

#12 8 years ago

The bracket can be purchased, but the steel roller is un-obtainium. The good news is that it's not driving a huge/heavy mech.. it's a simple lever. You can get a nylon roller at a hardware store. A simple e-clip holds it on.

The roller is 3/4" wide by 3/4" across the face. These rollers are used in things like screen doors/windows. You may find something in the automotive area as well; window / sliding doors etc.

faz

2 months later
#13 8 years ago

For anyone who is still looking I found the bracket at Marco's specialties, http://marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-15355 and found the rolllers at Mcmaster.com item number is 90309A057 Zinc-Plated Brass Unthreaded Spacer, 3/4" OD, 1/2" Length, 3/8" Screw Size. I also grabbed e clips at Mcmasters.com the one I am using on on the Dr. Who bracket is the 5/16ths. My Targets are now working as they should, does not help me play any better but it looks better.

6 years later
#14 2 years ago
Quoted from Armouredhobbit:

For anyone who is still looking I found the bracket at Marco's specialties, http://marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-15355 and found the rolllers at Mcmaster.com item number is 90309A057 Zinc-Plated Brass Unthreaded Spacer, 3/4" OD, 1/2" Length, 3/8" Screw Size. I also grabbed e clips at Mcmasters.com the one I am using on on the Dr. Who bracket is the 5/16ths. My Targets are now working as they should, does not help me play any better but it looks better.

I know this is 6 years later, but I wanted to thank you for your information!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
£ 110.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Johnson City, TN
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 40.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-triple-dalek-door-target-reset-fix and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.