Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by jasch697
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20180304_141854 (resized).jpg
20180304_141843 (resized).jpg
20180304_141801_1 (resized).jpg
20180304_154013 (resized).jpg
image.jpg

#1 4 years ago

I'm in the process of rebuilding my DW time expander using Faz's step-by-step guide. Been going well so far. But I'm now stuck on how to properly disassemble the external and internal bracket assemblies. Want to give them both a good cleaning (lost of grease and gunk, especially around the rollers). But it seems the vertical rollers on the external bracket prevent removal of the internal bracket and vice versa. Not sure if I'm just missing the proper tool or what. Probably something obvious. Any hints would be much appreciated. I'm missing my Doctor.

Thanks.
Jason

#2 4 years ago

I just pulled mine apart a few weeks ago.

First, make sure you've pulled off the c clips on the 4 rollers (2 on each side).

After doing so, I GENTLY pulled it apart to get one roller out. After doing so, you can work the rest out and it will get progressively looser. Just be careful not to bend everything.

#3 4 years ago

Taylorva just rebuilt one and may be able to help you.

#4 4 years ago

There is a rectangular plate near the top of the outer frame. You need to remove the screws from one side. Then you can slightly pry the frame open and remove the inner frame. In the picture I relmoved the two screws on the left side.

image.jpg
#5 4 years ago

Yup. Pull off the e-clips. Take out the screws on the adjustment plate.

Finesse it out.
faz

#6 4 years ago

Thanks all. Got it apart. Had a feeling the adjustment plate had to be detached, but was nervous about prying the external bracket apart. But I figured it out; it didnt need to bend as much as I originally thought. There was still a bit of plastic deformation of the external bracket as a result, more from reinstalling than anything. Just had to fine tune the adjustment plate screws a bit to prevent binding at the top of travel. All seems to be moving well now. The lockwashers under the adjustment plate screws should hold it in place. Greased up with silicone and ready to go.
As always, many thanks to the uber-supportive pinsiders out there!
J

2 years later
#7 1 year ago

Hello all. It's been 2 years since I last posted re: this rebuild. My time expander worked OK for a little bit, but then started to have binding issues pop up in random games. At that point, I took it out and disassembled again looking for the root cause. Found the following issues:
1. Motor/gearbox failed. Saw issues similar to those in this post: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dw-mpf-warning-keep-hands-away-from-mini-playfield-tech-club. It was clear once I saw the motor whirring while the MPF was stationary.
2. This one is weird: The hub and cam were lopsided, i.e. not perpendicular. See attached picture.
20180304_154013 (resized).jpg
Ordered replacement cam from Marco. After some grinding on the back side (the hub was hitting the horizontal bracket), the new cam moves smooth...mostly......

After aligning, I'm still having jerky movement when the MPF moves between upper level and mid level (specifically when the horizontal roller is between 12 o'clock and 3 o'clock). Jerky movement is primarily in CW direction, but you can hear the motor straining in the CCW direction as well.

Upon closer inspection, I may have a twisted horizontal bracket. See attached pics.
20180304_141801_1 (resized).jpg
20180304_141843 (resized).jpg
20180304_141854 (resized).jpg
These were taken after the new cam was aligned per faz's guide (using outer bracket as a guide). Can't believe I didn't see this the first time around. The only thing I can assume is that this twisted bracket functioned fine with the previous lopsided cam. I don't see how this was possible as two "wrongs" don't usually make a "right", but my game ran fine until I decided to tear apart the time expander. (Figures.)

Looking for some confirmation that I need to get a new bracket. It appears Marco sells one; bad news is they're currently out of stock. Or if anyone has any other suggestions, your feedback is appreciated.

J

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 279.95
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Massillon, OH
$ 279.95
Machine - For Sale
Saint Petersburg, FL
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 239.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 279.95
$ 109.99
Boards
PCB Emporium
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Golden, CO
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Bellefonte, PA
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside