• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Sharon
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I'm not actually sure it's the opto....

I first noticed this during multiball; it would shoot out two balls at once, rather than one right after the other. I thought maybe the opto was misaligned, and wasn't seeing the lower ball. But if that were the case, it wouldn't shoot it up at all the rest of the game. So I watched it some more.

What seems to be the problem is that the ball sits there a bit too long before being shot up. I'm really not sure why. If it's one ball, you don't notice it because it does pop out okay. But with two, the first sits there a couple seconds and the next one rolls down onto it, and they both get shot up together. More of timing thing than an opto thing I think.

But I'm not sure why it's sitting there longer now. Maybe 2 seconds, definitely not more than three.

Any ideas?

#2 10 years ago

Switch edge test. See if the opto is working or not.

LTG : )

#3 10 years ago

Yes, it is. Verified during single switch test, too.

#4 10 years ago

Can you clarify?

Is the ball not ejecting properly from the ball tray to the shooter lane or is it ejecting, being sent down the shooter lane, dropping into the TARDIS and THEN getting stuck ejecting out of the VUK under the TARDIS?

faz

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

Can you clarify?
Is the ball not ejecting properly from the ball tray to the shooter lane or is it ejecting, being sent down the shooter lane, dropping into the TARDIS and THEN getting stuck ejecting out of the VUK under the TARDIS?
faz

Sorry; it's the latter. It seems that the VUK under the Tardis is a little slow to kick.

#6 10 years ago

It's a bit out of my territory, but I cannot believe that there is a delayed signal to fire to the VUK. My guess is that the plunger has mushroomed and/or the coil sleeve is funky.

Try some controlled tests.

Drop a ball into the TARDIS entry hole. Listen and watch.

Do you hear the VUK fire right away?
Is it a nice solid fire of the VUK or is the ball flooping (technical term) out of the TARDIS.

If it's slow, clean the coil sleeve and / or replace the plunger.

If it does NOT fire right away and when it does fire, it's a good solid push...that sounds like your 'delay'. The only thing that comes to mind is a loose connector/cold solder joint. The vibration of the next ball is completing the circuit allowing the VUK to fire.

Let us know.
faz

#7 10 years ago

Thanks. It's a new coil, sleeve, and plunger assembly. The delay isn't between firing and shooting, it's between landing and firing. No flooping.

I resoldered things when I put the new coil in, should I try again?

Here's a short video that may or may not help. No sound. The last 4 or 5 seconds are in half time.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-tardis-opto-or-something and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.