Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20210908_113803 (resized).jpg
20210908_113802 (resized).jpg
20210908_113751 (resized).jpg
20210908_113734 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I've had an ongoing issue (years) with my DMD that I haven't seen posted before. At some point in history my display started outgassing pretty badly so I decided to upgrade it to an LCD and also replace the board with an Xpin XP-WPCDMD-CTRL. The issue appeared instantly and I wasn't sure if it was the display or the board but I kinda just decided to live with it until I had time to figure out it. Well days turned to years and I finally decided to get on it. I bought a ColorDMD LCD and lo and behold it's the same exact issue so I'm thinking it's the board and maybe I just got a bad one all those years ago. Unfortunately my older one (pin-w-dmd-01-5100 but probably a knockoff) has two cracked 2N5401 resistors (not sure how that happened) and I don't get replacements until tomorrow so I can't do a simple swap out test just yet.

I checked all the voltages on the test pads on the Xpin board and they seem fine (although 12v is reporting 13v and the -100vdc is reporting -90).

In the meantime I'm wondering if anyone has ever seen anything like this? That third photo is really odd to me because it never looks like that to the naked eye and there's no indication of flickering so there must be something happening very quickly that only a camera can pick up. The 4th is what it actually looked like at the time. It's possible that it was just animating from one error to the next when I snapped the photo.

Thanks for looking,
Les

20210908_113734 (resized).jpg20210908_113734 (resized).jpg20210908_113751 (resized).jpg20210908_113751 (resized).jpg20210908_113802 (resized).jpg20210908_113802 (resized).jpg20210908_113803 (resized).jpg20210908_113803 (resized).jpg
#2 2 years ago

I'd reseat ribbon cable from CPU to DMD driver board to DMD. Or other spots involved your new display uses.

See if that helps.

LTG : )

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'd reseat ribbon cable from CPU to DMD driver board to DMD. Or other spots involved your new display uses.
See if that helps.
LTG : )

Thanks,

I actually reseated all the cables just out of desperation. I haven't tested all the fuses yet but was thinking that probably isn't the issue since the voltages are right. I did just order some new ribbon cables because it kinda would make sense that something like a damaged wire within a ribbon would cause such an odd display glitch.

#4 2 years ago

Random loss of pixels. Not in a row or column. Wonder what chip has those message/words stored? I have an original DMD board that someone has hacked with adding large resistors at the bottom. But it works with both the original orange DMD and the COLORDMD. As a backup, I bought a pinball basement DMD board (out of fear of the hack job on original). But it caused strange losses during video mode. So I went back to the original board. I have thought of getting the PINSOUND DMDLUX board, just to see how it works differently.

#5 2 years ago

What are the dip switch settings on your XPin controller? It has a test mode that will put some test patterns on the display. It would be interesting to see those results in a video.

The times I have seen what you are describing have all been related to the ribbon cable. Not saying it isn't something else, but to be considered.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from XPinPinball:

What are the dip switch settings on your XPin controller? It has a test mode that will put some test patterns on the display. It would be interesting to see those results in a video.
The times I have seen what you are describing have all been related to the ribbon cable. Not saying it isn't something else, but to be considered.

Always good to have a ribbon cable tester or just replace old cables with new ones.

#7 2 years ago

Sorry for the late reply. I was waiting for a new set of ribbon cables to arrive. Well they did and i replaced them all and the problem persists.

The dip switches on the Xpin are:

1: on
2: on
3: off
4: on

I fiddled with different scan rates but that didn't seem to do anything that I noticed. I did run the test mode and all the lines showed properly both horizontally and vertically.

I soldered in the replacement 2N5401 transistors (Q4 & Q5) to the pin-w-dmd-01-5100 to try and Q5 popped in half when i powered up. I figured it was my crap soldering job so I replaced it and tried again and this time Q4 cracked and burned a lil and resistor R5 burnt up dramatically (taking R13 with it since it sits above it).

Now all this could be due to my terrible soldering since I have bad eyesight and shaky hands but I'm starting to wonder if there's something else going on in terms of voltage that maybe the Xpin is able to deal with but is too much for the other one.

I'm going to try to get my hands on another DMD controller board to test with just to be sure (hopefully I don't blow it up) since I have no business soldering on high-voltage anything apparently.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from Tophervette:

Random loss of pixels. Not in a row or column. Wonder what chip has those message/words stored? I have an original DMD board that someone has hacked with adding large resistors at the bottom. But it works with both the original orange DMD and the COLORDMD. As a backup, I bought a pinball basement DMD board (out of fear of the hack job on original). But it caused strange losses during video mode. So I went back to the original board. I have thought of getting the PINSOUND DMDLUX board, just to see how it works differently.

I can't find my original board anywhere. I probably trashed it or lost it in a move because it was well over 10 years ago and I was dumber then. That board had some serious heat issues though and I remember I had to buy some kind of other board to install over it to bypass the burnt part. Come to think of it I've been through more than my fair share of DMD boards on this puppy. I'm going to check all the voltages going into it again.

I just ordered the DMDLux so I'll let you know how it goes when it arrives.

The good news is I used all this downtime to clean and wax the playfield, replace the rubbers and lube up the time expander. I was really neglecting my pride and joy for the past few years.

#9 2 years ago

After reading your issues about the DMD boards, I bought and is shipped the DMDLUX board. Following your issues, so that I will know what to do when it happens to me. I guess I need to order new ribbon cables too.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from binhex:

fiddled with different scan rates but that didn't seem to do anything that I noticed. I did run the test mode and all the lines showed properly both horizontally and vertically.

Well you did what I would expect and if you didn't get random pixels during the testing, I am thinking you might have something more. The test mode for the controller blocks the data input from the MPU board. Since you didn't get random pixels during the test, you can start to assume that the cable, DMD, and everything coming out of my FPGA is clean. But, the random pixels during play...it might be the path from the MPU to the Controller that is having issues. I have seen that replacing the cables between the MPU and the DMD driver cleans up the problem, but worse thing I have ever seen was that there was a problem with the ASIC. He replaced it and all his problems went away.

Good luck! I am going to keep following this.

#11 2 years ago

I got the DMDLux today and installed it, said a prayer, and turned on the machine and it's working perfectly on both the led and ColorDMD lcd!

I never got around to testing the voltages going into the board so there could still be something going on there and maybe the DMDLux handles it better but for now... I'm back in business (after I put the whole playfield back together since I used this downtime to do a deep clean and wax job).

Thanks to everyone for your feedback.

#12 2 years ago

Great to hear that the DMDLUX board worked and you narrowed the problem down to that board. Probably would still be a good idea to get a baseline of your voltages. My DMDLUX board arrived today as well. I have not installed yet, but will later tonight after family goes to bed and I have free time.

I am still amazed that several doctors start the sequence and a few seconds in (like jumping first hurdle) changes to a different doctor. Something you do not notice with the orange screen, but it pops with color of different Doctors coats. Every once in a while, like I have a great game going, multiball, etc... the screen will go black and white for a few seconds, then go back to color. And I don't know why, but not upset about it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
£ 110.00
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Johnson City, TN
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-strange-dmd-display-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.