You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180223_095053 (resized).jpg
20180223_094933 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Hello,

Our Doctor Who Pinball's Mini Playfield has a problem. We are getting sensor errors resulting in the mini-playfield not operating correctly.

It has a new motor, new optics, the optics have been tested and work as far as we can tell (we did continuity tests as well, so the wiring is fine). When turning the machine on, the sensor light comes on, the receiver has been tested, but breaking the light does NOT trigger the register.

What do we fix next? Is this a chip problem, and if so, where is it?

#2 6 years ago

Did you run a full switch test? With a ball...

Testing the switches of non-related areas of the game will point out a switch matrix issue; opto board maybe even a power driver issue. So, check them all plus everything embedded in Test14.

If all that tests out, I'd start looking hard at the bi-directional board (under the PF... central zone).

Also, do you have any aftermarket boards in the game?
faz

#3 6 years ago

On startup errors: Switch 15 (Left Sling), No Clockwise Movement, No CCW Movement.

On mini-playfield tests, the mini playfield WILL travel up and down (holding both flippers), but fails. The optical sensor again IS working, it IS lit, but the interrupt is NOT registering during the switch test (passing something between the sensor and the receiver). This leads us to believe that it may be a chip issue.

There are no aftermarket boards in the game as far as I know. We have had it for about 18 years.

View on Playfield on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/embed/KF_LbUkAZ4M

#4 6 years ago

Don't trust the "Switch 15" message.

Put the game in switch test and test every switch in the game. All the targets, roll over switches, trough switches, ramp switches (all of em). Remember there's some switches in each of the three subways.

Quoted from whona:

No Clockwise Movement, No CCW Movement

The last post mentioned that Clockwise worked in test. Is that not happening any more?

faz

#5 6 years ago

Yeah, it seems to have changed on us since yesterday. Also, I posted a video link in the last edit, just for reference.

One of the other guys in the shop did the switch test a couple of days ago and we think we tested everything, but the opto sensor at the flywheel did NOT register when we passed something between it (again, it IS lit and all continuity tests came back positive on the wiring and soldering). I will do another switch test once the customer(s) leave.

RESULTS: So far, I have been unable to find any additional switch errors...

#6 6 years ago

Okay, did the test of the switches and everything else works fine EXCEPT the Opto Sensor for the mini playfield flywheel.

I think I figured out why the error changed on the mini playfield during startup: the coin door was open (only gives one error code instead of two).

Attaching two images: 1) opto sensor confirmed working, 2) underside of the pinball table (feel free to identify any parts I should check).

20180223_094933 (resized).jpg20180223_094933 (resized).jpg
20180223_095053 (resized).jpg20180223_095053 (resized).jpg

#7 6 years ago

Check to make sure you do not have any wires hanging loose back there. I accidentally pulled a red wire loose once which helps complete the connection on the MPF. It was connected to a flasher, I believe, and the other end which had pulled loose went to a molex. There are 2 red wires that are supposed to go to the same pin of the molex, so its easy to overlook

#8 6 years ago

I unsoldered the new receiver and put the old one back on and it works now!

So, bad receiver from the pinball parts supplier.

#9 6 years ago

I have a similar issue. The miniplayfield stops randomly, and the opto is not registering. It had been working minutes before I changed out bulbs in the coin door. At that point, i noted the playfield working poorly, then noted that all optos started firing. The kickers, the tadis out hole, the 5 miniplayfield switches stopped registering but were showing closed on the test switch. Is this the playfield or something bigger? I'm a novice in repair, but learn pretty quickly if anyone has tips. Thanks

#10 6 years ago

The mini playfield's up and down motion is controlled by a motor that CAN become stripped in the gears if it ever "goes sideways." This happened on my unit when a screw fell out of the metal ball-catch when the playfield was up all the way and a ball went in. The playfield started going down and stripped the gears. It required a new motor.

If the opto sensor on the flywheel goes out (either the opto light or the receiver), the mini playfield will not know where to stop, resulting in errors.

If you remove the mini playfield and later put it back in, make certain the cables in the back are not crimped as they can impede the up/down motion of the mini playfield.

The only way to see if the opto sensor is working (without an expensive IR detection card) is through selfie mode on a cell phone. Get the camera positioned just right to detect the IR light (invisible to the naked eye). If you cannot see it, it is not functioning. It is either burned out or unsoldered.

BEFORE REMOVING YOUR MINI PLAYFIELD, READ THIS DOCUMENT: http://www.pinballsupernova.com/images/TheDoctorWhoMiniPlayfieldv1.2.pdf

PRINT IT AND PUT IT IN YOUR PINBALL MACHINE. You will refer to it often if you ever have to work on the mini playfield.

#11 6 years ago

Okay, new issue. I had replaced the motor on the mini-playfied and everything was working just fine, but I was getting startup errors which I just looked at. It says my clockwise and counter-clockwise is reversed. Now, I soldered the new motor in the exact same way the old one was; does that mean the new motor needs to be soldered in the opposite way? Is this a serious issue? Again, it is playing, but I don't want to cause any long-term damage.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from whona:

Okay, new issue. I had replaced the motor on the mini-playfied and everything was working just fine, but I was getting startup errors which I just looked at. It says my clockwise and counter-clockwise is reversed. Now, I soldered the new motor in the exact same way the old one was; does that mean the new motor needs to be soldered in the opposite way? Is this a serious issue? Again, it is playing, but I don't want to cause any long-term damage.

Funny, I had the same problem when I picked up my doctor. It seemed to work ok but that CW and CCW error kept coming up. I reversed the wires in the connector and it worked out fine. Most likely someone replaced the motor before I got it. Mine came from Germany.

#13 6 years ago

I have another issue. The far back bumper (near the 5th Doctor) will not light, even with new bulbs. Accessing the assembly from the top does not appear to help solve this issue, and underneath it appears there may be more causing the light to respond than simple wiring. What is the best way to repair the light inside the back bumper?

3 years later
#14 2 years ago

I had intermittent opto problems when I had raised it to change the bumper rubbers and add LEDs to the whole game. I noticed the No CW and No CCW error. I thought I broke something when I was doing the LED and rubber install. Then I noticed the Tardis popper going off by itself during lights flashing. That's when I blocked the light pollution to the flywheel opto, and the mini playfield started working right again. It was that simple and my fault for installing the bright lights. Made a shield for it. Works fine now, and boots with no errors.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Johnson City, TN
$ 40.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

£ 110.00
Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-pinball-mini-playfield-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.