Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by jorant
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

I would like to invite you on a journey where a 1992 Bally Doctor Who Pinball is stripped to its bones and brought into the 21st century.

Why did i choose Doctor Who you ask? The answer is simple, my wife is a ridiculous pinball fan and and even bigger Doctor Who fanatic. This is her pin holy grail, marrying two things that she is passionate about: pinball and Dr. Who.

The person we charged with restoring the game -- which was in excellent shape before anyone even lifted a finger, by the by -- was Andre Gagnon from the Arcade Moi Ça YouTube channel. Andre (known as dreg604 here) is based in Quebec City Canada. His videos are typically in French but because I'm not a francophone, he agreed to do the series in English so I could follow along and share it with other pin fans who don't get along with French.

Here’s a fairly comprehensive list of the parts added or changed, we used NOS wherever possible or reasonable, but there's a limit to what's out there not hoarded away in closet somewhere. It took three years to gather all this together and much of it has become unobtainium.

Brand new 1 of only 100 Basement Arcade V1 Dalek Wobble head kit by Mark Davidson
Color Dmd
LED Ocd
Full led makeover using Comet Pinball frosted 2 smd superbrights and 5 smd flashers ( color matched inserts and white for all else )
Flipper fidelity speaker package
Non ghosting ROMs (installed)
New blue star post set
New Sling shot protectors
Set of Cliffies for main playfield and mini playfield.
New Plastic edges for translight
New Apron decals
New art blades
Repro serial number stickers
New WPC cab sticker set
NOS ramp set with decals
New side rails
New Side rail glass guides
One of a kind repro cabinet decals
CPR Repro mini playfield clear coated by Ron kruzman
NOS playfield also clear coated by Ron kruzman
Black oak playfield rails done by Reese Rails
New Time expander opto boards (great lakes modular)

It was a huge undertaking (something we couldn't have done ourselves without worrying about ruining something) but in the end it was more than worth it.. We are now the proud owners of what i believe to be the nicest Doctor Who in existence..

It all starts here:

In VLog 1 - Introduction to Arcade Moi Ça and Andre Gagnon. A quick inspection inspection of Doctor Who.

In VLog 2 - Work begins on deconstruction. Some funky music right here!

In VLog 3 - Stripping head completely. Art removal and cleaning.

In VLog 4 - Preparation and installation of the Original rare Wobble to animate the Dalek head. This wobble differs from newer versions because it’s the only version that runs off game code. Any other version runs on the flashers.

In VLog 5 - Header decal application and translight cleaning.

In VLog 6 - Speaker panel disassembly and speaker upgrade. Inside lower cabinet is stripped.

In VLog 7 - Cabinet is completely stripped down to bare wood and Andre makes a special friend.

In VLog 8 - Naked cabinet gets a fresh coat of paint. Lower cabinet reassembly.

In VLog 9 - Lower cabinet gets decals and finish assembly.

In VLog 10 - Andre Builds an inexpensive rotisserie. Introduction to the NOS playfield and the CPR reproduction mini-playfield (it's a bit of a disaster)

In VLog 11 - Playfield stripped.

In VLog 12 - Stripping bottom of old playfield.

In Vlog 13 - Bottom of the new playfieldassembly.

In VLog 14 - Andre tackles the time expander and the not so accurate CPR reproduction mini playfield.

In VLog 15 - More mini playfield and time expander fun.

In VLog 16 - The trials and tribulations of NOS ramp install.

In VLog 17 - Completing install of parts on playfield including time expander..

In VLog 18 - Here Andre tackles the installation of the LED OCD.. The color dmd has to be installed using the same method that’s required when putting one on Twilight Zone. Also, trouble in MPU paradise..

In VLog 19 - Watch and see......

There will be a final episode to go over the complete machine including rules and game play in the near future.

Thank you for sharing this experience. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I have..

#2 1 year ago

Wow!

#4 1 year ago

Great job! I love my Dr. Who such an addicting game.

2 weeks later
#5 1 year ago

Wow. Great job. Thanks for posting this thread. I am motivated to keep working on mine now more then ever. Your restorer did a really nice job with the game and the video. I hope you and your wife enjoy for a really long time.

2 weeks later
#6 1 year ago

The Final video post in the Doctor Who Restoration series... Gameplay and overview ! Enjoy !

#7 1 year ago

Thanks for sharing Chris!

1 month later
#8 1 year ago

What did you paint the time expander targets with, and did it hold up? That yellow is nice.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from thedoctor:

What did you paint the time expander targets with, and did it hold up? That yellow is nice.

the previous owner of the pin did that.. not sure what he used but it looked great.. I have the standard grey ones I was going to have put on during the restore but opted to keep the yellow..

#10 1 year ago

where did you get the spare gray targets? i can't find them anywhere.

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from thedoctor:

where did you get the spare gray targets? i can't find them anywhere.

It was part of the package of parts that I listed at the top of the post... At some point I might get around to selling some of the parts that were replaced with NOS parts on the restore.. like ramps ect....

2 months later
#12 11 months ago

Did you use silicone spray on the time expander movements?

2 months later
#13 8 months ago

I watched André's (dreg604) videos of this Doctor Who restoration (in French and English) with absolute delight. He turned this modest game into a real showpiece of 90's pinball brilliance! Being totally inspired by his craftmanship and meticulous attention to detail, I simply had to buy one for myself and try to learn to do the same. Turns out, it isn't as easy as his videos will have you believe, and the cost is more than I can bear, so I scaled my restomod way back. So far, I managed to:
- upgrade the sound board to Pinsound+
- upgrade the speakers to Flipper Fidelity
- replace the DMD driver board to Rottendog
- repair the coin door
- replace with playfield glass
- convert the GI to LEDs (in progress)

It will never be as nice as your awesome machine, but I like to think it's rather special. Cheers!

#14 8 months ago

Great work!!! Very inspiring those videos.....congrats!!!!

#15 8 months ago
Quoted from electronaut:

I watched André's (dreg604) videos of this Doctor Who restoration (in French and English) with absolute delight. He turned this modest game into a real showpiece of 90's pinball brilliance! Being totally inspired by his craftmanship and meticulous attention to detail, I simply had to buy one for myself and try to learn to do the same. Turns out, it isn't as easy as his videos will have you believe, and the cost is more than I can bear, so I scaled my restomod way back. So far, I managed to:
- upgrade the sound board to Pinsound+
- upgrade the speakers to Flipper Fidelity
- replace the DMD driver board to Rottendog
- repair the coin door
- replace with playfield glass
- convert the GI to LEDs (in progress)
It will never be as nice as your awesome machine, but I like to think it's rather special. Cheers!

I highly recommend the PinSound upgrade for everyone.. it's a critical piece of bringing the machine into the modern era! Stereo sound (only available via pinsound upgrade) is massive.

#16 8 months ago

Where did you get the ramp decals? I only need the decals for all plastic ramps, even scans would be enough. Any idea?

#17 8 months ago

Where the heck did you get a playfield? I need one super bad.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Massillon, OH
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Machine - For Sale
Saint Petersburg, FL
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 28.00
3,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Golden, CO
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 239.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 399.95
€ 4.99
Flipper Parts
Multigame
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 50.00
£ 82.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside