(Topic ID: 76377)

Doctor Who Owners Club.....Time Lords Welcome!

By HoakyPoaky

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,575 posts
  • 445 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 days ago by pinballtoys
  • Topic is favorited by 197 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Dalek7 (resized).JPG
Dalek33 (resized).JPG
Dalek32 (resized).JPG
TheDoctorWhoMiniPlayfieldv1.2.pdf (PDF preview)
Motor 3 (resized).JPG
Wires1 (resized).JPG
Rebuild18 (resized).JPG
GIBuzzBrown (resized).jpg
Back Board lights2 (resized).jpg
20240407_212554 (resized).jpg
DSCF2875 (resized).JPG
DSCF2874 (resized).JPG
Bally_1992_Doctor_Who_Mini_Playfield_Opto_Bank_Paper_Cover_Template.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #194 Link to @pinball_faz 's Time Expander/Mini Playfield Guide Posted by pinball_faz (9 years ago)

Post #491 Link for 3-D Printed Dalek Playfield Posts. Posted by Pinballfantexas (9 years ago)

Post #696 Link to Alternative Whomobile Pinside Thread. Posted by swinks (8 years ago)

Post #1428 ColorDMD install with pics plus other cool things. Posted by ArcadeTechNerd (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swinks.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#500 9 years ago
Quoted from bpull:

Taylor's right. I looked at maybe having them under just the slings. You might have to point them out to people because I don't think they would stand out very well. But they are cool. I believe swinks here on pinside created them. they might stand out better if you lit them up from underneath.
Brian

not my design but very cool detailed touch by a fellow pinsider.

I am working on a mod but still a little bit off before showing some details.

1 week later
#537 9 years ago

hey selmo, I know the shapeways options are limited but open up the transparent and high detail plastic options as though they appear foggy white they light up well. These options are more expensive but an option for those keen. iMaterialise does a transparent resin but again not the cheapest.

Below is my CFTBL tail light mod with the taillight lens in high detail plastic with a white and a red led behind the 2 parts of the lens.

Tail Light Mod.jpgTail Light Mod.jpg

5 months later
#696 8 years ago

I am working on a whomobile mod to replace those oddly shaped switch covers

head to this thread to follow progress as well as show interest in ordering.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-whomobile-mod

the original cover
625x465_2872058_7684906_1429738624.jpg625x465_2872058_7684906_1429738624.jpg

the design not finished but almost ready for a test fit.
Whomobile 3.pngWhomobile 3.pngWhomobile 2.pngWhomobile 2.pngWhomobile 1.pngWhomobile 1.png

1 week later
1 week later
#745 8 years ago

looks great, I was checked out a locals today that is helping me with the whomobile and the colour dmd looks great

need to find me one of these games, really like it

1 month later
#757 8 years ago

for those that want to upgrade their who mobile switch covers these are now available - with 3 different versions to pick from
https://www.shapeways.com/search?q=swinkswho&sort=newest

the Whomobile thread can be found here
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-whomobile-mod

and a fellow Pinsider - Modfather can do the custom paint jobs for you as well as supply the bolt hardware and thread the mount for you while the mod is in for painting.

pinball_range_3.pngpinball_range_3.png

pinball_range_1.pngpinball_range_1.png

6 months later
#1051 8 years ago

very nice and noticed a little of the whomobile there and agree the trim colour goes perfectly

1 year later
#1738 6 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

Any ideas on obtaining a plastic set?

check out pinball search - great site for finding things and give a $1 if you find something to help the guy out

https://www.pinballsearch.com/#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=doctor%20who%20plastics

1 month later
#1788 6 years ago
Quoted from Fairground:

ebay.com link » Dr Who 1992 Bally Target Button Gray Mushrooms From Time Expander 03 8654

thats a rip off, if someone has a old one and can loan it to me, I will model up for free and make it available for much cheaper

#1790 6 years ago
Quoted from Fairground:

Oh is that each? Yes rip off. I thought for whole set

I read it as one and it is also used = rip off

#1792 6 years ago
Quoted from thedoctor:

I've got an extra set of these from a second machine I bought for parts... would be happy to send you one to model for 3d printing... my big question is will the extruded material be strong enough to handle steel balls whacking it?

the parts would be available via Shapeways which does it as a laser sintering process and would be solid nylon so I believe it would handle alot of impacts and at an affordable price. I am happy to pay for postage to me for one and also back to you so no expense to you at all as I like helping the community with the hard to get items. I have a set of nylon laser sintered swappable flipper bats in a machine with many hundreds of games and going well, and the Goldeneye Satellite dish available and no complaints of weakness along with others.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/DY42C9EQF/goldeneye-pinball-satellite-dish-modded?optionId=19214667&li=marketplace
https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?q=swinks&sort=newest&s=156#more-products
https://www.shapeways.com/product/X9SK45SSM/bally-pinball-rollover-button-c-587-6-ss-em?optionId=43385429&li=marketplace

#1794 6 years ago
Quoted from Clnilsen:

If no one else has one for you swinks, i'll send on to you. I'm almost positive i kept my old ones.

thanks @clnilsen, see if thedoctor gets back to me

#1798 6 years ago

big thanks to Clnilsen as he has posted some mushroom targets and I will make these available in the next few weeks

#1800 6 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Are the STL files available for these?

I have still yet to draw up and sample

1 week later
#1802 6 years ago

just got to print a sample at home to check the design and then print from Shapeways as the final check, so will be available soon.

This is the preview image of the metal flake grey from Shapeways

mushroom (resized).jpgmushroom (resized).jpg

#1805 6 years ago

these would be half the colour options for that modded look

710x528_22879563_12714286_1522390055 (resized).png710x528_22879563_12714286_1522390055 (resized).png

710x528_22879565_12714286_1522390055 (resized).png710x528_22879565_12714286_1522390055 (resized).png

710x528_22879566_12714286_1522390053 (resized).png710x528_22879566_12714286_1522390053 (resized).png

710x528_22879568_12714286_1522390055 (resized).png710x528_22879568_12714286_1522390055 (resized).png

710x528_22879561_12714286_1522390056 (resized).png710x528_22879561_12714286_1522390056 (resized).png

#1814 6 years ago
Quoted from thedoctor:

Ready to order 5 gray and 5 yellow whenever you're ready with this.

purple and grey sample being made now and going to a pinsider in the next 7-10 days for testing very soon.... once single sample tests ok I will make a 5 target branch to reduce the cost a little more as Shapeways charge a handling fee per item so if I make the branch of five you save 4 x handling fees.

3 weeks later
#1891 5 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

A pic of The Who mobile mod from Swinks - I was asked where I attached the wires. This is on the right side on the video ready arrow light (which I cannot see during gameplay). The light in The Who mobile flash when ready.

thanks for sharing

for anyone wanting to connect up to a similar feature that Dr John has you can now do it simpler with Comet Pinballs matrix globe - drop a globe into the socket that has an adaptor lead coming out of it to connect the Whomobile lighting to.

http://www.cometpinball.com/category-s/1871.htm

2 weeks later
#1914 5 years ago

I would recommend anyone needing the mushrooms to grab the ones in the post above as they are rare.

I have designed an option for people especially if they want to customise - available at Shapeways
https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?q=swinkswho&sort=newest

thanks to Clnilsen for posting the parts to me so I could model up

IMG_0045 (resized).JPGIMG_0045 (resized).JPG

IMG_0047 (resized).JPGIMG_0047 (resized).JPG

1 year later
#2389 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

can someone post a picture of how the whomibile, switch, clear plastic is assembled on the right side above the wireform?
I have the ramp but the switch seems too high as its installed wrong. It has to be bent down a lot for the ball to hit it.
I ordered the plastic and new ramps from marco and a whomobile from swinks.
Im just am not clear on how the corner is assembled.
Im working on decals.

I noticed a guest purchased some whomobiles recently - just hope you got the mod ones as I have various types there. If so contact Shapeways to see if you can halt the order and swap with the correct ones????

As for the switch under the whomobile you might get some ideas from my mod manual.

DW Whomobile Mod - Manual V-02.pdfDW Whomobile Mod - Manual V-02.pdf
4 weeks later
#2534 4 years ago

nice work and thanks for sharing

#2553 4 years ago

Nice detective work on the play field misalignment

#2556 4 years ago

Thanks, it took awile since I thought it was just cabinet droop from wear.
And I had replaced all the pivot parts. It was a bit confusing but perseverence paid off.

I think this is a great lesson for everyone as most would assume everything to be aligned

#2559 4 years ago

After seeing that one of the repair targets was installed way off. I got suspicious...
[quoted image]
I'll either fill the hole and re-drill it or adjust the hole in the switch mounting bracket...or both.

yes that would raise alarm bells, great work

1 month later
#2654 4 years ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

I've recently joined the Doctor Who club... I acquired the machine that thecnypinguy refers to earlier in this thread.
Anyone have a .stl file for the mushroom targets? I'd like to 3D print some new ones while I've got the mini playfield torn apart.

I have the mushroom targets up at Shapeways
https://www.shapeways.com/product/Q6BMQBFSZ/doctor-who-pinball-mushroom-target-button-1-off?optionId=65150365&li=marketplace

also have the Whomobile mod as well
https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?type=product&q=swinkswhomod

1 month later
#2997 4 years ago

here are repro's of the original whomobile's

https://www.shapeways.com/product/K6LHAFEXB/bally-pinball-doctor-who-s-whomobile?optionId=42265826&li=marketplace
710x528_6542396_2872058_1459315732 (resized).jpg710x528_6542396_2872058_1459315732 (resized).jpg

and then I did whomobile upgrades

https://www.shapeways.com/product/R8X24PPSR/whomobile-pinball-mod-1-40-tv-series-windows?optionId=58437679&li=marketplace
710x528_11962654_7604239_1459337579 (resized).jpg710x528_11962654_7604239_1459337579 (resized).jpg

or this one
https://www.shapeways.com/product/5XDPLBCZS/whomobile-pinball-mod-1-40-alien-version?optionId=57879814&li=marketplace
710x528_11036216_7266343_1459338317 (resized).jpg710x528_11036216_7266343_1459338317 (resized).jpg

Whomobile Mod 1 (resized).jpgWhomobile Mod 1 (resized).jpg
Whomobile Mod 2 (resized).jpgWhomobile Mod 2 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#3111 4 years ago

Here is the repro MPF opto and target button Channel as well as a spreader / light baffle. I am still yet to design a modded version with the baffles included in the channel bracket design so people don't have to get both items.

The parts can be found here:
https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?q=swinkswho%3F&sort=newest

The MPF channel is a replica of the original which is laser sintered 3d printed so is solid nylon, and will be stable and highly unlikely to warp.
Who3 (resized).jpgWho3 (resized).jpg

The Add-on is the spreader / light baffle. Simply line up to determine which 2 screws to temporarily remove from the opto boards and then insert the Spreader / Baffle and then re-install 2 of the screws again. This item will rectifier any warping by straightening your. The advantage with this design is you can still see into the channel to check things are working while removing the warp.
Who4 (resized).jpgWho4 (resized).jpg

here is the 2 items and target buttons assembled to give you a better idea.
Who1 (resized).pngWho1 (resized).pngWho2 (resized).pngWho2 (resized).png

#3116 4 years ago

My Ebay insert holes were off 1/8" and very rough. A lot of rework and it still did not solve my problem.
Very amateurish part.
Swinks:
If you could just thicken the walls around each led hole, full length in a bar shaped fashion either longitudinally or vertically (think roofing beam with holes for LEDs)
1/8-5/64" or more. Just so it doesnt hit the e-clips.
You might get the stiffening and a shroud at the same time.
Much like the raised bearing surface for the interrupters, but doesn't have to be round and can go full length.
This might abrogate the necessity of the insert piece.

thanks for the suggestions / thoughts

I will have the upgraded version ready by the end of the weekend with the goal to strengthen but have some sort of led shrouds but still access the clips on the targets as don't want to be a PITA to fit target buttons etc,

as for the insert for the people that only want this minor upgrade. I did a quick home print sample and the holes line up nicely and since my channel was a new one but warped this insert straightened the bracket out nicely by more than 1mm. The positive thing with this design is that in only removing 2 screws in can be slipped over installed buttons & springs and allows you to still visually check everything is ok & working with out removing the spreader.

IMG_1949 (resized).JPGIMG_1949 (resized).JPG

#3127 4 years ago

here is the upgraded target channel with baffles separating each section to block light emitting from the neighbouring sensors and these also act as strengtheners and removing all warp issues and gives a nice flat surface for the light boards. The tube running across has a larger ID so the screws are not cutting a thread.

placing the baffles here means you can still get access to the clips on the target buttons and check operation.

I also added 1mm to the sensor ports cut to aid in light protection though am thinking these are not needed but was a request ???
channel - upgraded (resized).jpgchannel - upgraded (resized).jpg

#3130 4 years ago

for anyone that needs or wants a MPF sensor & mushroom target bracket (replica or upgraded or insert) you can head here

the first one pictured is red (just wanted it to stand out) but there is a selection of colours - unfortunately I have no control over the printing costs especially for the black

upgrade (resized).jpgupgrade (resized).jpg
1 month later
#3275 4 years ago

The versatile plastic have very similar qualities to the injected nylon parts but nylon particles bound together with a laser instead with the material is still nylon just not the same glossy look. The MJF material is also very similar are can be drilled and tapped etc as the parts are made in solid nylon as well. Shapeways nylon can handle ball impacts like with the goldeneye sat dish or the 80's bally ball kicker - both of which are my popular sellers with even Marco buying some of my gear for their site.

I personally don't like home 3d printed parts as they are partially hollow and the material degrades over time and the resin printing is great for detail models but not structural items - they will shatter.

Goldeneye - Satellite Dish Mod 2 (resized).jpgGoldeneye - Satellite Dish Mod 2 (resized).jpgGoldeneye - Satellite Dish Mod 4 (resized).jpgGoldeneye - Satellite Dish Mod 4 (resized).jpgImage1 (resized).jpgImage1 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#3368 4 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Swink's new opto carrier for MPF arrived today, minenis Blue, gonna look way better,putting it in now. Just an FYI, use some 2000 grit sandpaper to smooth the holes for the mushroom tatgets, mine were too tight. I wrapped my sandpaper around a drill bit and spun the carrier, presto bango, targets don't stick. I am adding small washers to only one side to lift board off the carrier so clips from mushroom targets do not bit IR LED's. Next is install and test.......

thanks for the feedback and any recommendations, please share any thoughts and photos as I can incorparte into the design where possible.

Shapeways variance is +- 0.25mm so the holes could be a fraction smaller or larger.

#3379 4 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

I could not source shorter IR LED's, I asked ED at GPE.
The new opto carrier is nice, the IR LED's sit perfectly in the carrier, but because of the longer length IR LED's, it renders the pocket useless for alignment. Swinks, if you are reading this, maybe this can be fixed in the design. I will snap a pic tomorrow to show this, when I take the MPF out, yet again

yes I am reading this as I want the product that I am providing to be the best option possible especially the modded version with the light baffles built in so please share any info as it is very much appreciated, and I appreciate the support to trust and try the product and the main reason was to get rid of the warping issue and add light baffles but if we can tweak to make it even better than happy to do this.

1. let me know that the baffles work as in tended.
2. happy to extend the IR LED outer tubes if that helps as long as original boards and retro boards fit
3. happy to add additional step on the mushroom target area to cancel out the need of washers if that is of any help - are you using original mushroom targets?

#3380 4 years ago

What is the max diameter of the mushroom target clip?

as this will help me determine the IR LED tube extension.......

#3381 4 years ago

On the upgraded version at Shapeways I put 1mm shoulder lips around the IR LED holes and now changed that to 3mm on the lhs and 4.5mm on the rhs but stopped so when looking from above the large circle of the mushroom target / clip would not foul with these extensions but if you could confirm the diameter of the clip - that would help. I won't upload until I add the changes you guys reckon are needed.
dr who v2 (resized).pngdr who v2 (resized).png

#3382 4 years ago

in relation to the mushroom targets and the stems blocking the IR LEDS in the non-activated mode - I could reduce the stem shaft a little which effectively lowers the tip of the stem a little?

you can see the stem a little through the holes
button location 1 (resized).pngbutton location 1 (resized).png

non-activated
button location 3 (resized).pngbutton location 3 (resized).png

activated, going of this I could add possibly another 1-1.5mm to the IR LED shafts
button location 2 (resized).pngbutton location 2 (resized).png

#3384 4 years ago

while you guys are mucking arounbd with the IR LEDS and if you have a set of verniers can you please measure the diameter of the different ones:
originals -
gulf stream -
pandorabox -
but agree it should really be plug and play for the LED's

#3402 4 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

I would not adjust to 3mm.

How far would you go or do think leave it as is. I would of thought the baffles in between each chamber performs the job of stopping light passing to a neighbouring LED.

Also thanks for the photos

#3407 4 years ago

thanks guys, I will leave it alone for now, and hope you guys can sort out the electronics side of things out soon - must be frustrating

#3410 4 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

It was 100 after tax
And shipping I think. I didn’t send any feedback back bc I wasn’t sure if I was the one with problem, not the bracket

bracket or board set?

#3431 4 years ago

thanks for a awesome update and review of the opto career as I wanted to make sure it helps people get rid of the warping and the light issues

with your bracket I opened the base level black option so it is a little more grainy in feeling hence the need to sand the holes a little.

I am relieved and happy that this new part can help the guys that want it.

I will check back in a few days to make sure everything is still fine.

cheers

Jady

#3444 4 years ago

well I am stoked to here that pinballinreno

and for those curious we are talking about this part - opto carrier (not warped, with strengtheners and light barriers etc all built into one unit).

which you can purchase here

https://www.shapeways.com/product/XLTKWJTQW/doctor-who-mushroom-target-channel-upgraded?optionId=127913521&li=marketplace

710x528_29348941_15743569_1571461373 (resized).jpg710x528_29348941_15743569_1571461373 (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#3503 4 years ago

Awesome news, and great to here, thanks for reporting back
Cheers Jady

3 weeks later
#3622 4 years ago

looks great, have fun

2 months later
#4045 4 years ago

I believe it is the coloured options as pinballinreno got a black and is problem free and some of the other people got the blue.

I have removed all coloured options and is now only available in black.

1 month later
#4215 3 years ago

my apologies that the blue carrier option has been an issue for 2 people and hence why it is black only now - only sold 3 in blue with one having no issues and I believe the 2nd solved with a coat of black on the inside.

8 months later
#4619 3 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Does anyone have a spare old set of original Dr Who opto boards for the mini playfield? I don't care about condition. Can be non-working, beat up, missing some optio's, etc. Just looking for something cheap.
I've never had my mini playfield out. Definitely on my list. Plan on adding the 3D printed baffle. Have one of those ready to go.
After all the posts about issues with opto's and boards I'm just going to use an old set of boards as a pattern and just make my own set. I've got a ton of IR LED's and IR sensors and want to experiment a bit.
After a long pause I've just started making up boards for my robot projects and while I'm at it can try to make a set for my Dr Who.
Let me know what you have. I guess one of the alternate sets would be good too but I really would like at least one original pair. I know I could pull mine but I'd rather leave my game intact and just pull it all apart and test something new all at once.

here are the baffles with the upgraded baffles along with some other parts

#4622 3 years ago

I recognize my hand in the baffled pictures, its famous!
I must say, its a nice looking hand....
What, no photo credit? lol. (just pulling your leg...)

lol......... fixed

#4643 3 years ago
Quoted from Tophervette:

Swinks Pinball also carries a plastic replica for the purpose of using it as a template. They also state, they could make one out of stainless. Link to the ad. https://www.shapeways.com/product/AGNPGNACC/doctor-who-pinball-time-expander-motor-bracket?optionId=65328800&li=marketplace[quoted image]

It was requested quite a while back as someone reached out as they struggled with drawings, the plastic is a template only and really is a bit expensive and stainless is super expensive

#4645 3 years ago

A printable paper template would be awesome!

great idea

with the template I supplied if you register with Shapeways and view it while logged in you can see a small almost hidden download button so you can print yourself.

I have added multiple items to the free download
- search "swinksdownload" at shapeways or use the link
https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?q=swinksdownload&sort=newest

11 months later
#5248 2 years ago

Robotworkshop

when you go to my link on my website you will get a bunch of various parts for Doctor Who:

then you when you go to the first one you will have 2 material choices:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/XLTKWJTQW/doctor-who-mushroom-target-channel-upgraded?optionId=134795971

both options are suitable but just the parts are made differently:
- Black Natural Versatile Plastic - is laser bound nylon particles made in white and go through a tumbling process and then dyed black
- Black PA12 - is glue bound nylon particles made in a variety of greys and then dyed black

the second is a slightly cheaper process but just as strong and was noticeably sharper and as the Versatile process goes through a tumbling process and knocks off some of the detail where as the second goes from print to clean down, then straight to dye.

either are good for this part and I just give options because nearly everytime I don't people want options.

Hope that helps

Jady / Swinks

1 month later
#5400 2 years ago
Quoted from Greenhaba:

I’m in the process of troubleshooting a Time Expander opto issue which started with #75. I replaced both opto boards new from Marco.
I’ve followed the faz white paper and another post where faz and a guy from the Netherlands supported troubleshooting a similar issue in the Doctor Who community.
My opto issue is with the time expander optos 71,72,73,74,75 with #76 and #77 functioning normally.
I checked the voltages at the 10 opto board J1, J2, J3 connectors and the two time expander opto boards and the voltages look normal within a range.
I tried inferred and a flashlight on the receiver opto board with no luck.
Any suggestions on where to check from here?
Thanks
Rick

Hey Rick

I just was notified of ordering some parts - you probably should of just ordered this one instead.
https://www.shapeways.com/product/XLTKWJTQW/doctor-who-mushroom-target-channel-upgraded?optionId=127913620&li=marketplace

If you are quick contact shapeways and cancel the order and just order the part above.

Jady

8 months later
#5819 1 year ago
Quoted from robm:

Thanks for that - they are definitely not catching on the LEDs, as they were sticking when i had the LED board removed for repairs - might look into the other parts, i even wondered about drilling the holes marginally oversize for the shaft of the plungers

I have a couple of the upgrade channels in stock and 10% this week and weekend if you need one

Black Friday Sale Brochure (resized).pngBlack Friday Sale Brochure (resized).png
2 weeks later
#5824 1 year ago
Quoted from Tophervette:

To follow on with my issues in building a Doctor Who pinball machine, I had ordered a new carrier and baffles from swinks. I ordered new 5 Opto Board, new grey mushroom buttons, springs and 1/4" C-clips from Marcos. I built new boards from DumbAss and bought them from Pindora Box as well.
First I found that the C-clips were interfering with one side of the Swinks dividers. So I dremel tooled them so that they would not bind. When I installed any of the Opto boards onto the carrier, the Clips would then hit or not pass the LEDs or would get stuck closed. I checked Marcos site again and I had ordered the right part supposedly. I did a further search on the internet and found that there were smaller OD C-clips out there. I ordered them from McMaster-Carr in NJ. The smallest order was 25. So if anyone needs one cause it flew off and can't find it. I will slip one in the mail to you. The first picture shows the problem of the larger C-clips. The following picture shows the size difference installed.
Hope this helps anyone doing a similar fix to the mushroom carrier.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

thanks for sharing and just to clarify for others the baffle in this upgrade is just a baffle insert to straighten the original channel and add light separation, and is not the channel upgrade

LHS - is the full upgrade channel with baffles
Centre - is the original channel baffle insert
RHS - replica of the original channel with no baffles

You might want to colour the side wall of the channel as that might cause sensor reflection issues.

Screen Shot 2022-12-11 at 7.13.55 am (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-12-11 at 7.13.55 am (resized).png

#5826 1 year ago
Quoted from mystman12:

I'm a bit confused with the mushroom targets. I installed new Pandora boards with the Swinks bracket and was testing them. They work fine with the original targets, but don't work at all with some brand new yellow Swinks targets I bought. They appear to be the exact same size and shape as the originals. Is this issue caused by like, the color of the targets? Because I can't think of anything else that could cause such a problem.

it could be the colour as early days with the channel I offered blue channels and it was causing light reflection issues

you could try colouring the mushroom target shaft with a black paint pen to see it it changes things...

9 months later
#6144 7 months ago
Quoted from ACDNate:

Got the new mini playfield opto board from DumbAss and new 3d printed opto button holder. Had to do a lot of filing to get the buttons to fit.
Using .100 molex instead of soldering to pads. The molex connectors interfere with the aged paper that wrapped around and blocked light.
Has anyone used anything else to block errant light from the optos?

what opto button holder did you get?

#6150 7 months ago
Quoted from ACDNate:

One of the holes was perfect. The other 4 required varying amounts of filing. More than I expected, but not a terrible job. Just took a while as I was cautions not to open up the holes anymore than necessary.
I have reviewed the pdf guide you shared earlier.
I haven't seen any of your posts on the topic other than the pdf you shared. I'll have to look for the template post when I get in front of a computer. Hard to search on phone.

that is the replica of the original surprised it needed cleanup

most people have been upgrading with this one, with the strengtheners to keep straight and light baffles built in
https://www.shapeways.com/product/XLTKWJTQW/doctor-who-mushroom-target-channel-upgraded?optionId=127913620&li=marketplace

2 weeks later
#6239 6 months ago
Quoted from ACDNate:

Good questions I should have added info for.
Carrier is new, 3d printed from shapeways, designed by a member here at Pinside from Australia.
Opto boards are wired to a molex connector matching the diagram printed on Dumbass' boards.

but I think you got the carrier that did not have the dividers (I could be wrong) so also keep in mind when testing light could interfere between the sensors as well...

#6240 6 months ago

I have moved away from MJF PA12 nylon printed parts for impact components as the nylon particles are bound with fine mist glue and are weaker than SLS parts.
The SLS PA12 nylon parts have more mechanical strength.

#6248 6 months ago
Quoted from ACDNate:

I did get rhe carrier with dividers. Also I cut out a new paper shield with the template a member here posted.

ok, no worries, must of been someone else - just trying to narrow down your possible issues

1 week later
#6273 6 months ago

this is a good search engine / site for pinball parts

https://www.pinballsearch.com/#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=dr%20who

#6274 6 months ago
Quoted from dwangoAC:

I've set Dr. Who up and performed an examination (the puns are flowing through time today). Here's some pictures of how my patient presents, these are all the parts I have.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
I appear to be missing almost everything from the mini playfield and I have a long road in front of me rebuilding what's missing.
If anyone has leftovers even in rough shape, please let me know. I'll start looking through listings and investigating what I need to do to post a parts wanted request in the meantime. Thanks for the support on this journey!

a few parts can be found here
https://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/catalogsearch/result/?q=dr+who

3 months later
#6448 87 days ago

here is my whomobile mod that I did years ago that people can purchase the parts from Shapeways and paint up themselves. You simply mount bracket and the fit 1 of 3 different vehicles to pick from onto the mount
https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?type=product&q=swinkswhomod

the manual can be found here under - kit builds
https://swinks.com.au/manuals

Screen Shot 2024-01-28 at 1.31.59 pm (resized).pngScreen Shot 2024-01-28 at 1.31.59 pm (resized).png
2 months later
#6522 24 days ago
Quoted from Tophervette:

You could make or 3D print your own bracket. But Swinks/Shapeways have them already made at this link. You can buy one or copy one. That took forever to find.
https://www.shapeways.com/product/Z7Y4LU4N4/whomobile-pinball-mod-switch-mount?optionId=130803166&li=marketplace

though for people that don't know that bracket is designed for the Whomobile mod

https://www.shapeways.com/product/R8X24PPSR/whomobile-pinball-mod-1-40-tv-series-windows?optionId=65515050&li=marketplace

710x528_23467403_7604239_1526638931_1_0 (resized).png710x528_23467403_7604239_1526638931_1_0 (resized).png
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

£ 110.00
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Johnson City, TN
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swinks.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-owners-clubtime-lords-welcome?tu=swinks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.