(Topic ID: 76377)

Doctor Who Owners Club.....Time Lords Welcome!

By HoakyPoaky

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3,162 posts
  • 307 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 hours ago by Catch86
  • Topic is favorited by 143 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 901 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

MiniPlayfield Ball eject instructions (resized).jpg
repair top (resized).jpg
20191020_155251 (resized).jpg
20191020_152257 (resized).jpg
20191020_155029 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20191020-112417_Snapseed (resized).jpg
20191019_130048 (resized).jpg
20191019_125136 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191018_203149_03 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191018_203149_02 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191018_203149_01 (resized).jpg
upgrade (resized).jpg
channel - upgraded (resized).jpg
54C03079-1227-4875-8342-53D63DDB8236 (resized).jpeg
20191018_200006 (resized).jpg
20191018_193929 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballjah.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1504 2 years ago

Just joined the club as well.

2 weeks later
#1553 2 years ago

Recently picked up a Doctor Who and really enjoying it so far. Couple questions:

- is the Cliffy protector for the edge difficult to install?
- I noticed the ball often comes off the side ramp when shot by the side flipper. Is there anything you can install to prevent the ball from coming off this ramp? Not sure if there is a mod for the ramp?

Thanks for your assistance.

#1556 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The ramp - you mean the sonic boom ramp? Do you have the clear plastic piece that sits on top of the ramp entrance? If that is missing you may get airballs. You can order a new one with the DW logo etched on it

Thanks for the details. I don't have any plastic above the ramp entrance. If it will help with the airballs, I will order them.

#1557 2 years ago
Quoted from noahd42:

Congrats on the pick up!
I just did the cliffy install last week. It is not too bad, very straight forward. The only annoying thing is you'll probably have to give those posts a good wiggle to get them out as they have probably been taking a beating for 20+ years and get nice and stuck in the play field.
I haven't had the other issue with the side ramp though.

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The cliffy for the MiniPlayfield edge is not too difficult to install - but you MUST make sure it is tight as possible to the wood. There are 2 pieces and both must be very tightly installed so the MPF can raise and lower. It looks great when installed and is a huge upgrade to the stuck-on piece of ramp metal that is the stock piece.

Thanks for the feedback. Do you need to remove the time expander completely to install the cliffy?

1 week later
#1565 2 years ago

Is the default Dr. Who when you start the game up always set to number 7 or can this be adjusted in the options menu? I would think number 1 would be the natural default. Is there a short guide to explain the 7 different options? Thanks again.

#1576 2 years ago

Pretty cool Doctor Who poster on allposters.ca. Was able to get mine for around $6 CDN. Nice size for framing, 24 x 36 inches. Just sign up for the special offers and it reduces the price 40%. Not sure what the charge is to the US for shipping?

doctor-who-daleks-comic-cover (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#1605 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I ordered mine from there not too long ago. Just email them, you can probsvly still get one

Thanks, waiting to hear back from them. Hoping it helps with the balls flying off the top ramp. Probably happens 90% of the time.

7 months later
#1821 1 year ago

Has anyone installed the Brite Caps on their Dr. Who? If so, was wondering what you did with the bumper that is covered with a plastic piece. Thanks.

#1834 1 year ago
Quoted from Clnilsen:

I did on mine. Love it! I used a hot glue gun to affix them to the bottom of the cap for a clean install.

Thanks, did you only install two?

1 year later
#2351 5 months ago

I am in the process of installing some new Flipper Fidelity speakers on my Dr Who. When I got the speakers, I ordered the Pinsound version as I expected to get the card at some point. The speakers came with the below Pinsound adapter. As I am going to use the regular soundboard, can someone confirm what these two four prong connectors are used for. I'm not certain that these are used for the speakers only. Can I connect the 8 prong Pinsound adapter to the area circled in red below? Thanks for your assistance!

Dr Who Soundboard (resized).jpgPinsound connector (resized).jpg
4 weeks later
#2474 4 months ago

Has anyone done a stereo orchestration for Pinsound with the original music? My understanding is the original files will still play in mono, even with upgraded speakers and the Pinsound card. Thanks.

1 week later
#2518 4 months ago

Is Pinsound worth it for Dr Who? Don’t seem to be that many orchestrations. Thoughts?

#2523 4 months ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Oh. My god. Yes. Totally different game

Thanks for the feedback. I was on the fence but it’s not that big an investment really. Do you know if the original soundtrack was converted to Stereo? Thanks for the help.

2 weeks later
#2571 3 months ago

Attention RUSH fans, just finished my Ver. 1 of a Doctor Who Rush orchestration for the Pinsound card. I have replaced all of the sound and jingle files with Rush original tracks. Will work on replacing some of the SFX sounds for Ver. 2. Will upload to the Pinsound community once the website is working again. Thanks.

#2573 3 months ago

Pinsound video of Rush orchestration

#2576 3 months ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

nice! I especially love how it starts with 2112 - that's a perfect soundtrack to this game

Thanks. Rush is a great band for Dr Who as they have lots of songs or parts of songs with keyboards and no vocals. The game starts with three different Rush songs. They are on a random basis. Having trouble uploading it to the Pinsound Community. I think there are issues with the site.

#2578 3 months ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

What's the issue with the site?

Can’t upload any files. Going to send them files direct tonight so they can be uploaded by Pinsound. They are aware of the problem. Will post when it is available.

#2583 3 months ago

The Doctor Who Rush remix for Pinsound is now showing on the community website. If anyone wants to give it a try. Thanks.

http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/279-pinballjah-doctor-who-rush-remix/

1 week later
#2592 89 days ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Next up, decals!
Yay, finally will look like a game.
One thing I learned on this resto.
NEVER USE RUSTOLEUM PRIMER.
NOT ANY TYPE OF PRIMER FROM RUSTOLEUM. IT DOESNT DRY ON WOOD !!!!!!!!!
End of service announcement.
Use kilz original oil based. Use a foam roller and brush (you gotta sand it any ways...)
More to follow lol

Looks great so far. What do you suggest for black paint to touch up the edges and sides when they get scratched or just faded over time? Thanks.

#2596 88 days ago

Thanks for the advice on the paint. I have always wanted to touch up some of the black areas on the game. A few games I have bought have a really nice glossy black finish and I always wondered what they used.

1 week later
#2633 77 days ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

The Doctor Who Rush remix for Pinsound is now showing on the community website. If anyone wants to give it a try. Thanks.
http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/279-pinballjah-doctor-who-rush-remix/

Just uploaded V2 file with more Rush songs and some vocal changes. Updated the "exterminate" vocal track with "We have assumed control" from 2112. If you complete all doctors or video mode, you reach "Zanadu". Thanks.

3 weeks later
#2712 53 days ago
Quoted from darkpinball:

Ok, which material will he print it with?
I made one of PETG, printed with support.
Unpolished but Im only interested of impact testing the material, Ill print one of PC later.[quoted image][quoted image]

Have you thought about putting the Cliffy over the wooden piece to protect it from further damage? Since you have it apart anyway.

#2732 50 days ago

I think I want to add pinshaker to my Doctor Who
Has anyone done this?
It looks amazing.
What triggers would be right for the game?

Pinsound just came out with a Shaker as well. If you are getting the Pinsound card.

#2738 50 days ago

Video of the Pinsound "Rush" orchestration I did for the Doctor Who pinball. Check it out:

#2740 49 days ago

I have pinsound plus for my FF speakers alteady!
I didn't know they had a shaker.
Just checked. It's the same price as pinshaker but way more advanced.
12 different shakes! Isolated or combined! WTF, I'm sold.
Also has preset shake settings via pinsound to start it off per game selected!
This is exactly what i want !
Thanks.

Pinsound has pinball owners currently working on custom shakers settings for each game. I would think it would be for the original soundtrack, but other custom orchestrations will get the shaker settings added over time.

#2753 48 days ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

The sounds of the game are fine as-is, and if you feel compelled to add something, at least pick something that fits.

In terms of music, it is hard to find a band that has lots of tracks without vocals. Rush seemed a good option and very futuristic IMO. If you like the band, you will love the orchestration. There are not many Dr Who Pinsound orchestrations so the more the better.

If you have suggestions on music, let me know. I am currently working on a Pulp Fiction orchestration for the Getaway.

#2758 47 days ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Interesting perspective. It would seem to me that many of the tracks from 2112 and Hemispheres (not to mention Cygnus X-1 from AFTK) would align perfectly with DW, given the timeframe and subject matter. After a while, anything is better than the same.theme.over.and.over.and.over...

Agreed. Push of a button and you can switch between orchestrations. He likely won’t want to try my Green Day remix I may do next for the Dr Who or Pink Floyd

1 week later
#2836 38 days ago

What is the definitive mix for pinsound doctor who?
I'm swaying towards the modern with the london symohony tracks.
Anyone have one that's the absolute best?
I hooked up the stereo cable that came with the FF speakers.
Left, right and center (sub) channels.
Is there a faux stereo presence adjustment?

I would say my Rush orchestration But I am a bit biased. If you want a certain theme, let me know. Always looking to do something new.

#2848 37 days ago

Now, onto a better mix!
What is the best?

If your not a Rush fan, the Disco mix is pretty cool. I like to get away from the original sounds if I am trying a different mix. I would also highly recommend the Pinsound headphone station. It cost $50 US but you can easily change between orchestrations and it has an external volume control and headphone jack. So you can put all the orchestrations on one disk, and just decide on the fly which ones you want to listen to. Plus there is a headphone jack if you want to play the game and mute out the sound. Funny I have never used the headphone jack. I actually just ordered two more as I was really impressed with this product. Just plugs into the Pinsound card. Very install. I am up to four Pinsound cards now (Dr Who/Getaway/Tommy/GnR).

#2853 36 days ago

I think the Rush mix is great!
But pinballgoddess isn't a real fan (although she said it was very cool!).
My only real complaint is how the enhanced sound system makes very clear how terrible and scratchy the original sounds are lol.
I have the pinsound headphone jack. Does it also function as an external speaker volume control? Or is it only for headphone volume.

External volume as well.

#2863 35 days ago

Ok, the debate is over.
Official pinballgoddess pinsound test results as follows:
First place:
rdoyle1978 modern mix with additional doctor voices.
Thus one made pinballgoddess cry tears of absolute joy when I went through the sample tests. (Real actual tears in her eyes!)
Great job Robert!
Second place:
dendoc Modern mix off the pinsound website.
pinballgoddess was impressed and excited by this one. She really liked it until she heard the one with added doctors lol.
Third place:
Original sounds from pinsound website.
pinballgoddess was horrified by this one. She thought is sounded so bad that there was something wrong with the game.
Indeed it's pretty scratchy and annoying lol. She recommended throwing the drive I used for it in the trash lol.
So there you have it.
Not really definitive as a complete review, but I have to agree rdoyle1978 mix is really good.
I cant wait to hear anything more he adds to it.
Runner up in my opinion is the Rush version from pinballjah. Its really good but, I think you gotta be a Rush fan (who isnt? Lol).

Thanks, still looking for any ideas to improve it. Glad you liked it. I hope you made it to ‘Xanadu’.

3 weeks later
#2977 15 days ago

Evidently Fedex has lost my marco order somewhere in Texas.
I was going to rebuild the escape target assembly this weekend.
No problem, molexed the 7 wires to make it easy to pull out later:
[quoted image]
I didn't want to use a 6 pin and a single.
So I opted for 2 of the small 4 pin ones.

Are you keeping track of how much you have spent on your Doctor Who?

#2995 14 days ago
Quoted from Maveri:

there are no lights also nothing on the dmd
I think there might be a bad connection.

Maybe power supply? Sounds like an issue I had w my Tommy. See if any connectors to power supply board are damaged or try reconnecting them.

#3014 14 days ago

Got the playfield and ramps installed today.
Zero solenoid errors.
I used the all lamp + flashers test to get my 5smd tower flashers the correct polarity. Oddly most were backwards lol.
[quoted image]
I think the 5smd are perfect replacements for the 906 bulbs.
The game has a single 89 bulb.
I put a 8smd tower that comet recommended for the #89.
Worked perfectly and didn't have the polarity issue. It just worked lol.
The tardis blue light is a 2smd sunlight with a blue sleeve/condom from my funhouse stuff. It looks way blue in person.
pinballgoddess went through everything from blue LED to painted blue #555, to a couple of different color condoms.
She liked the azure blue that the funhouse condoms created off of the sunlight led.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Where did you buy the translite? Thanks.

#3016 13 days ago

Ebay.
I really think it modernizes the game exactly how I wanted it.
ebay.com link

Thanks, might have to pick this up.

#3067 9 days ago

Question:
Is the music supposed to change when the balls are released from the MPF? The music and everything seems to the same as in single ball play.
There seems to be no indication that Im in a multiball when the balls are released in this 2 ball multiball.
Im using the rdoyle1978 enhanced modern mix on pinsound.

See 2:00 of this video to see when the balls are released. There is a change in music.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-owners-clubtime-lords-welcome/page/52#post-5081632

#3072 8 days ago

I'm in the process of uploading my Dr Who remix.
London Symphony Orchestra playing the origianl TV theme, and a techno mix during ball lock and multiball.

Looking forward to another Dr. Who orchestration. I was thinking of doing a Green Day or Foo Fighter remix. I know not game based but just like their music and thought it be fun to listen to while playing.

#3089 6 days ago

What’s with all the 50 cents cards?

#3101 5 days ago

Pinound WTF.
My audio started getting worse and worse.
It got to the point that the theme music was blasting and the game sounds were barely there.
I wiped the USB stick and applied a fresh copy of the mix.
So, pinsound generates a gain file?
All by its little self???
WTF, I get it. But seriously if you screw with the knobs enough, pinsound's AI will f#ck averything up.
The new fresh install is really good again.
Less adjusting is more on this setup.
Yes, I've had a couple drinks lol.

Sometimes different USBs work different I find. Trial and error. Sandisk seem good, I think 3.0. Some I bought new, won’t work at all.

#3105 4 days ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

this drive is one of the fastest out there:
amazon.com link »
I think this is the same drive, only $10
amazon.com link »
You only need a USB 2.0 drive really, but as 3.0 takes over the 2.0 ones are getting more expensive due to scarcity. Faster is better in this case. None of the DW mixes are really bandwidth hogs, but some games like STTNG, IJ and CFTBL need very fast drives to keep up with the higher fidelity audio

Thanks. I recently bought a couple USBs to store more than one orchestration. Didn’t work with the Pinsound card. Tried different formatting options but still wouldn’t work.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Cincinnati, OH

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballjah.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside