(Topic ID: 76377)

Doctor Who Owners Club.....Time Lords Welcome!

By HoakyPoaky

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,575 posts
  • 445 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 days ago by pinballtoys
  • Topic is favorited by 197 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Dalek7 (resized).JPG
Dalek33 (resized).JPG
Dalek32 (resized).JPG
TheDoctorWhoMiniPlayfieldv1.2.pdf (PDF preview)
Motor 3 (resized).JPG
Wires1 (resized).JPG
Rebuild18 (resized).JPG
GIBuzzBrown (resized).jpg
Back Board lights2 (resized).jpg
20240407_212554 (resized).jpg
DSCF2875 (resized).JPG
DSCF2874 (resized).JPG
Bally_1992_Doctor_Who_Mini_Playfield_Opto_Bank_Paper_Cover_Template.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #194 Link to @pinball_faz 's Time Expander/Mini Playfield Guide Posted by pinball_faz (9 years ago)

Post #491 Link for 3-D Printed Dalek Playfield Posts. Posted by Pinballfantexas (9 years ago)

Post #696 Link to Alternative Whomobile Pinside Thread. Posted by swinks (8 years ago)

Post #1428 ColorDMD install with pics plus other cool things. Posted by ArcadeTechNerd (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider muppet_man.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2260 5 years ago

Here's one for all of you to think on.

My machine had a catastrophic gearbox failure time expander, so I duly bought a new unit. All fitted fine. However, now, when ever I put the board down, it stops working. If I lift the playfield to try and track down the fault, it's fine again. I have removed it all, checked all the connections, checked the new motor, then re-installed it. Put the playfield down VERY gently, then played for one game, then, motor stopped again. I have wiggled every possible wire and checked every connection so many times you wouldn't believe. I would be tearing my hair out, but I don't really have any anyway!

Any suggestions chaps?

1 month later
#2294 5 years ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:At this point I’d check the electronic parts that control the motor. It’s getting send 12V or -12V depending on the way it goes.
Try your motor this way:
Find a 12v adapter, remove connector.
Disconnect the motor engine from the connector.
Put (through crocodile plugs or whatever you want) the cables from your adapter to the motor.
Put back down the playfield so that it lies as when you play
If it behaves as it should (meaning going up and down as these are the ibly things you control with this test) when receiving power this way, then I’d say the issue is on the board or logic and not the motor.
If it does not then you received a faulty motor, or your 12V is screwing them up.

I finally have some time to look at this again this weekend. This sounds a good idea that I haven't tried yet and I'll give it a go. Thanks.

#2295 5 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

Maybe something with the switch that detects the glass. That switch shuts down power to that motor I think

I must admit that that one had come to mind. I even bypassed the switch in case it was going wrong, but alas, to no avail. Thanks for the suggestion though.

#2296 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I had a rather similar situation that Faz Helped me out with - the MPF motor shares a power wire with a random flasher in the backboard. I think it’s the flasher behind #5. It can easily come loose from the connector which joins it. The loss of this connection can lead to a low power situation for the motor, where it can’t reliably raise and lower the MPF. Be sure to check on that ..
If u remove the mini playfield and it will raise and lower when powered from a 9 volt battery, but fails in the game, it is probably what I described ^^^

Excellent, I haven't tried that at all. Much appreciated.

#2297 5 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

I'd suggest you pull this into it's own thread. That's the problem with these generic game threads... yes, large audience but really hard to track when several tech discussions running concurrently. As for your issue: lots of good ideas above. Let us know how those tests work. Also, you test the connections but it might be the connectors themselves. Specifically the two wire connector for the motor and the other end of that connector on the bi-directional board. Given your description it sure sounds like a bad connector, broken wire or cold solder joint.
faz

I'm hoping to have another go this weekend. If I have success I'll report back. If not, I'll try the separate post. Thanks

#2298 5 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Painting Dr. Who coin door and other pieces in Oxford blue. Turned out better than I hoped. Will look better than standard black coin door, in my opinion.
Ken
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Do you have some photo's of this all in place now? Thanks

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Johnson City, TN
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
£ 110.00
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 40.00
3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider muppet_man.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-owners-clubtime-lords-welcome?tu=muppet_man and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.