(Topic ID: 76377)

Doctor Who Owners Club.....Time Lords Welcome!

By HoakyPoaky

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,575 posts
  • 445 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 days ago by pinballtoys
  • Topic is favorited by 197 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Dalek7 (resized).JPG
Dalek33 (resized).JPG
Dalek32 (resized).JPG
TheDoctorWhoMiniPlayfieldv1.2.pdf (PDF preview)
Motor 3 (resized).JPG
Wires1 (resized).JPG
Rebuild18 (resized).JPG
GIBuzzBrown (resized).jpg
Back Board lights2 (resized).jpg
20240407_212554 (resized).jpg
DSCF2875 (resized).JPG
DSCF2874 (resized).JPG
Bally_1992_Doctor_Who_Mini_Playfield_Opto_Bank_Paper_Cover_Template.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #194 Link to @pinball_faz 's Time Expander/Mini Playfield Guide Posted by pinball_faz (9 years ago)

Post #491 Link for 3-D Printed Dalek Playfield Posts. Posted by Pinballfantexas (9 years ago)

Post #696 Link to Alternative Whomobile Pinside Thread. Posted by swinks (8 years ago)

Post #1428 ColorDMD install with pics plus other cool things. Posted by ArcadeTechNerd (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jakers.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3568 4 years ago

I'm having troubles figuring out a time expander problem. The middle target on the second level will not register. I've replaced both sender and receiver optos. The weird thing is, when I touch the 2 pins of the receiver opto (on the solder side) the target registers correctly. It doesn't take any pressure at all to make it work. Just bridging the receiver pins with my skin makes it work perfectly. Does this point to a resistance problem? Maybe the problem stems from the 10 opto board under the playfield?

#3571 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Is it loose or cracked solder joint?
Maybe a broken wire?
Sometimes the wire breaks off the opto itself.

I've put new solder on every wire, opto sender, receiver and checked my molex connectors. If I hold my finger on the receiver opto I can move the whole assembly around any which way and it works flawlessly. The second I stop touching the receiver opto prongs it quits working.

#3573 4 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

You mean you are putting a jumper across the terminals on the opto receiver board?

Essentially using my fingertip as a jumper, yes. But as a test, I did jumper the receiver prongs with a wire and the target still would not work. I removed the jumper wire, touched it with my fingertip and it works flawlessly. Which is why I'm thinking it's a resistance issue.

#3574 4 years ago

Do the receiver optos have a polarity? I noticed the sender optos have a notch drawn on the board to show which way to insert them. The receiver optos did not have that notch and are just circles.

#3577 4 years ago

I swapped the 10 opto board from under the playfield with the 10 opto board out of my BSD. The time expander targets work perfectly now. So I guess I’ve gotta shell out $100 for a new one. Bummer, but at least I can stop taking this time expander apart all the time for testing.

#3599 4 years ago

I’ve ALMOST got my game 100% working. The last problem I can see is a couple flashers not working. The Doctor 7 (middle backglass doctor) and the time expander flasher are not working. They are on the same circuit and should flash at the same time. I have continuity from the board to the bulbs and have checked for cold solder joints on the back of the board.

While I had the driver board off, I noticed that transistor Q42 (the transistor that controls said flashers) is a TIP122 but the manual calls for a TIP102. It’s obviously been replaced at some point. Would this cause the flashers to not operate?

#3601 4 years ago

Both flash lamps that aren’t working are socketed, not on boards. Both have continuity to the sockets from the driver board.

#3603 4 years ago

How would I go about shorting the transistor to test? Do you do this with the machine powered on and everything plugged in?

Is the predriver transistor 2N5401?

#3612 4 years ago
Quoted from Jakers:

How would I go about shorting the transistor to test? Do you do this with the machine powered on and everything plugged in?
Is the predriver transistor 2N5401?

Anyone have insight on this? I have a new TIP102 transistor coming this weekend and if the predriver transistor is a 2N5401, then I already have a couple of those from a previous display repair.

#3651 4 years ago

Well, I'm out of ideas at this point as to what could be wrong with my middle target on the time expander. A new 10 onto board didn't fix the problem like I thought it would. I've found that if I unplug the optos under the playfield (the 12 molex connector) then plug it back in, the switch works fine for a few seconds, then starts freaking out, then stops working completely. Take a look at these two YouTube videos I took to see what I'm dealing with. Has anyone ever saw this type of behavior before? I've checked all continuity from the opto board to the CPU and all connections are solid. I've also replaced the sender and receiver optos with new ones.

Here is video of what happens when I plug the optos in and don't touch anything:

Here is a video showing the middle time expander switch working for a second and then stopping:

So frustrating.....

#3659 4 years ago

This is an easy one.
I have seen it dozens if times.
You are very close to perfection!
The optos are very slightly out of alignment on that switch.
Flickering is a sign that a slight amount of light is leaking past the interrupter or reflecting off something.
Push the led slightly up towards the top or mushroom switch side of the box.
You do this with the pc board mounted to the carrier with the 4 screws.
They bend very slightly, but enough to make adjustments. Dont break them off.
Or bend more towards the center of the interrupter.
Pull out the balls.
Lift the playfield and lean it all the way back onto the back box.
Fish out the plug for the opto carrier.
Test the assembled opto carrier live outside of the MPF assembly by itself with the machine on in test mode.
Its hard to see the DMD but you can hear the test.
You can plug it in and out live with the game running, it wont hurt it.
When your satisfied its perfect, reassemble the time expander.
Dont install it onto the playfield yet.
Set it in the bottom cabinet, plug only the opto harness in again to see if it changed.
If its all good, reinstall the time expander back onto the playfield.
Use black paper for the shroud.
All of the switches are proven to work, just need to be tweaked a tiny bit.
Youre almost there!

Thanks for the info. I'll try adjusting it tonight and report back.

Quoted from ignat:

Is that the LED or LCD DMD ?

That's the LED version. I have both LCD and LED in my lineup and prefer the LED version. It fits into certain games easier because of its size and it costs a bit less than LCD.

#3671 4 years ago

After many opto adjustments, I still couldn’t get the middle time expander target to register. As a final shot in the dark, I decided to replace the optos thinking maybe I had received a faulty one. Started with the receiver opto. Plugged the target bank in to test and boom....100% working.

1 week later
#3716 4 years ago

Flipper alignment question. Should the tips be pointed (centered) at the holes in the playfield? Right now, mine are lined up where the guide rails are flush with the flippers. If I were to point the flippers at the holes, they look like they would be pretty droopy compared to the guide rails.

3A54F394-82A5-408C-A8A8-7F913AC92377.jpeg3A54F394-82A5-408C-A8A8-7F913AC92377.jpeg6E9CF67D-85C4-4566-B48E-26183175C6FB.jpeg6E9CF67D-85C4-4566-B48E-26183175C6FB.jpeg
3 weeks later
#3771 4 years ago

I decided to bite the bullet and remove the old, dirty and bubbly mylar from my Doctor Who. It took a lot of time and effort since the mylar was covering the ENTIRE playfield but I'm so glad I did it. The playfield underneath is immaculate!

Before:

IMG_0784 (resized).jpegIMG_0784 (resized).jpegIMG_0785 (resized).jpegIMG_0785 (resized).jpeg
#3772 4 years ago

After:

IMG_0812 (resized).jpegIMG_0812 (resized).jpegIMG_0807 (resized).jpegIMG_0807 (resized).jpegIMG_0811 (resized).jpegIMG_0811 (resized).jpegIMG_0814 (resized).jpegIMG_0814 (resized).jpeg
#3779 4 years ago
Quoted from Xantari:

Jakers Where did you purchase those plastic post protectors I see on your time expander? I don't see anything protecting your daleks by the slingshots. I think those ones are also commonly broken (mine were when I got the machine). My mylar is starting to look a bit like that. I'm hoping to tear it down and clean it and hope it comes back to life.

Those are just clear plastic washers. I cut a little bit off one side to allow them to fit the time expander cover. I had to replace my sling plastics as well. They also have plastic washers on them but they're hard to see in that picture.

#3781 4 years ago

Oh, and for the dimple theorists out there....fresh dimples on a virgin 1992 Diamond Plate playfield.

504CBCEF-9885-47FE-92AA-45C9B6F6CB82 (resized).jpeg504CBCEF-9885-47FE-92AA-45C9B6F6CB82 (resized).jpeg
#3785 4 years ago
Quoted from Xantari:

jakers I posted a new post regarding the cliffy install. While I wait for the cliffy's to arrive (which is why I haven't torn down the playfield yet) I was wondering if you could tell me what modifications you had to do to make sure that the time expander didn't get stuck on the playfield when it was going down.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cliffy-installs-on-a-doctor-who-time-expander
In the above post it really doesn't look like there is much clearance to install cliffys on both the mini playfield and the playfield itself (which is what I want to do).
Thoughts?

I just made sure to push the mini playfield back as far as possible before tightening down the mounting screws. Make sure you remove the dalek reset wheel/bracket from under the playfield before you loosen the mini playfield.

5 months later
#4373 3 years ago

Your game looks great!
Mylar removal is a breeze.
The playfield is clearcoated already.
All DW games have clearcoated playfields.
Use freeze spray method to remove mylars.
Use rapid-tac adhesive remover for the remaining glue.
Use naptha to clean it all up when done.
This method is super fast and easy.

I’ve always used the flour/alcohol method to remove the sticky residue. It gets really messy so I’d like to try this method. I’m removing a full playfield mylar from Dirty Harry this week. Is this the stuff to use? Any tips when doing this method?

6E3ECA50-F359-41EA-B600-8EC365D796D0.png6E3ECA50-F359-41EA-B600-8EC365D796D0.png
#4379 3 years ago

I love that stuff, its amazing!
It removes glue in seconds after you freeze spray off the mylar.
Final clean up with naptha.

Thank, pinballinreno One more question. This will be my first time using naphtha. Instructions on the can say the recommended ratio is 4oz to 1 gallon water. Do you mix yours or use it straight out of the can?

78EADCB6-C8BE-4537-BBF4-D417F1C806AF (resized).jpeg78EADCB6-C8BE-4537-BBF4-D417F1C806AF (resized).jpeg

#4380 3 years ago

Man, I hope pinside fixes this sideways photo upload problem soon. No matter what I do on my iPhone, I can’t rotate it or delete it. Sorry guys.

EDIT: I was able to rotate it after posting it. Still, please fix this robin

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
£ 110.00
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Boards
Slap Save Creations

Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Johnson City, TN
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jakers.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-owners-clubtime-lords-welcome?tu=jakers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.