(Topic ID: 76377)

Doctor Who Owners Club.....Time Lords Welcome!

By HoakyPoaky

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,575 posts
  • 445 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 days ago by pinballtoys
  • Topic is favorited by 197 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Dalek7 (resized).JPG
Dalek33 (resized).JPG
Dalek32 (resized).JPG
TheDoctorWhoMiniPlayfieldv1.2.pdf (PDF preview)
Motor 3 (resized).JPG
Wires1 (resized).JPG
Rebuild18 (resized).JPG
GIBuzzBrown (resized).jpg
Back Board lights2 (resized).jpg
20240407_212554 (resized).jpg
DSCF2875 (resized).JPG
DSCF2874 (resized).JPG
Bally_1992_Doctor_Who_Mini_Playfield_Opto_Bank_Paper_Cover_Template.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #194 Link to @pinball_faz 's Time Expander/Mini Playfield Guide Posted by pinball_faz (9 years ago)

Post #491 Link for 3-D Printed Dalek Playfield Posts. Posted by Pinballfantexas (9 years ago)

Post #696 Link to Alternative Whomobile Pinside Thread. Posted by swinks (8 years ago)

Post #1428 ColorDMD install with pics plus other cool things. Posted by ArcadeTechNerd (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gunstarhero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2304 5 years ago

Joined today! Picked up a nice Doctor in a trade! Looking forward to learning all about it, it’s been a long time coming. I have had several close calls but never managed to bring one home, until now.

#2315 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I ordered the LED colorDMD.
It seemed to me, to match the game better after LED's were put in the playfield.
But it does seem odd that no one has offered a back board decal.

LED ColorDMD looks great in the Doctor, we installed one in my buddies machine so we could have the Doctor lights back, and I’ll be putting one in mine someday as well.

I don’t feel like the difference is small at all, especially with the video modes and the various scenes in this game the color really brings them to life.

#2318 5 years ago

I haven’t been down there on mine yet... but I’m gonna bet it’s a broken / worn plunger tip.

#2321 5 years ago
Quoted from supermoot:

I just said I replaced it

Ah (headslap)!

Well you’re ahead of me then.

1 week later
#2330 4 years ago

How weird.

Mine had the flipper optos totally removed and replaced with leaf switches!

It works fine so I haven’t messed with it tho.

2 weeks later
#2377 4 years ago

How is this wire routed properly?
Looks terrible on my game lol
Is this the right switch location?
Or even the right switch?
My game is a little rough, many missing or re-imagined parts.
Post a pic of how it's supposed to be done please.
[quoted image]

My game isn’t accessible right now but... it’s supposed to go up the plastic wire tube and into the backbox, but it’s really tight when you fold down the head. There is a plug but it’s a pain to get to. My switch is already disabled, I might just relocate it .

#2382 4 years ago

I have a repop I just installed and it’s definitely lighter. Beats broken tho.

#2396 4 years ago

Eh, looks better than an exposed switch, which I assume would really have cut the cost.

#2398 4 years ago

Yeah, seems like a lot of Doctor’s have led rough lives. At least they have us to care for them now.

#2415 4 years ago

Looks good dude!

I need to pull my Time Expander out soon and give it a little tune up.

1 week later
#2454 4 years ago
Quoted from Scrmblr2:

Now I just gotta get a high score on the board. Had a 250 mil game the other day...I was sad when it was not even replay or high score worthy. Guess I gotta practice.

Once you get good at the side ramp and getting your multiplier to 4x you’ll blow 250 mil away.

#2469 4 years ago

Kevlar rings come in the kit for the time expander.
I'm leaving them off for now.
Curiously there are no shooter lane protectors in my full kit.
Should I contact cliff? Or are they separate? I paid $104 for the kit.

I’d contact him. Sure looks like it’s included on the DW page on his site.

1 week later
#2497 4 years ago

I'm thinking of doing the siderails and lockdown bar in oxford (tardis) blue.
Too much?

I think that's a great idea. The coin door pic someone posted looked pretty good, and I don't usually go for fancy coin doors.

#2500 4 years ago

The stuck opto could be making the game assume you're already in multiball?

Does it move the mini PF to the middle position when this happens?

#2502 4 years ago

Huh. It certainly feels like it could be connected.

Have you gone through the single switch tests to see if anything else isn’t working right?

#2508 4 years ago

Lol, I always thought black looked cheap and stainless looked nicer.

#2512 4 years ago

I grabbed an eBay set and they didn't look that great either... but they looked alot better than broken.

2 weeks later
#2565 4 years ago

That’s gonna be nice. My DW has a clear coated PF and it’s a beauty. Wish the rest of the game was as nice!

3 weeks later
#2601 4 years ago

Looks great. Hell of a job dude.

#2615 4 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

What the heck...is this Instagram now lol

lol, I think pinballinreno has decided he's Chris at HEP now.

3 weeks later
#2678 4 years ago

A few pics of it assembled.
I dont think it's too black, the pearl metal is way nicer in person.
It seems appropriate with the artwork as it is.
Im sure there are a lot if great ideas out there but over-all I'm very pleased with it.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That looks freakin great. Good call.

I like the new translite too.

#2684 4 years ago
Quoted from opt_prime:

Rules question...on a couple occasions I've gotten a score over 1 billion - I just got to 1.7 billion a few days ago. I noted on the higher scoring games, my playfield multiplier seems to stay at a higher number, like 3.5 or 4x for a much longer time period, even though I'm not hitting the side ramp all that much, and in my recent game I'm guessing I just hit the side ramp maybe 20 times or less.
Does anyone know what causes this extended time for the playfield multiplier? Thanks in advance!

I think Doctor 6 causes that. If you didn’t actively choose him maybe you didn’t notice because he was spotted.

#2686 4 years ago
Quoted from opt_prime:

Thanks - I thought that may be the case, but it seems like the effect of Doctor 6 was even longer than usual. As I go through waves of completing all the Doctors, is their effect enhanced in some way?

I don’t think so. Maybe you were just in the zone?

1 week later
#2730 4 years ago

I know you can run it off the flashers, but it would be perfect if it shook when you heard the Tardis sound effect.

#2752 4 years ago

I might regret the STC white over the whole game, but it really plays good until it rots away lol.
I have some titan flipper rubbers.
Might be perfect!
pinballgoddess is sold on perfect play.
I dont think they last that long.
She goes thru a set every couple months on her WOZ.
Although they last twice as long as latex
Also thinking about urethane post sleeves. They last forever.
But bounce funny.

Titan rings and flippers, and Cliffy posts for me. That perfect combination of good play, good looks and longevity.

#2766 4 years ago

On the Lightning Flipper topic... should the upper flipper be a Lighting or standard bat?

#2776 4 years ago

Great call.
Now I'm going to put a regular one there.

Mine are Lightning on the bottom and a standard on top but I have a buddy with all lightning, that’s why I was wondering.

#2786 4 years ago

White rubber always looks better IMO. Black just looks too dark.

With Titan rings tho, man it’s hard not to do translucent. I didn’t think I’d like that look but I’ve done it on a couple machines now and I think it looks great.

#2788 4 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

It always comes down to personal choice. I want to see DW done up with Titans amd Cliffy posts.

I’ve done the posts and the flippers on mine but the white rubber was still good enough not to have to swap yet.image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#2800 4 years ago
Quoted from TicTacSeth:

Hi all, first time owner of this machine ... it’s got the “Check Fuse F114 & F115” error that I cant get past. From looking it up, there’s a whole slew of things to check that I’m not familiar with. Wish me luck! I’ll try not to let the Dalek win ...

Go into switch test and see if your opto switches are working. That error on mine ended up being the opto board under the PF, a cap goes bad on it and takes out a trace, you’ll need to replace the cap and run a jumper.

2 weeks later
#2933 4 years ago

pinballgoddess was not impressed with my black flipper rubber concept.
I was strongly encouraged to use ONLY red perfect play rubbers:[quoted image]

I gave my wife the choice of red, green or blue, and she took red too. Looks good, IMO.

#2936 4 years ago

Lol, yeah I think it looks pretty good.
And matches the rubber color in the manual!

Interesting! I thought they always used black rubbers and rings from the factory.

#2974 4 years ago

9991EF85-C750-4F0D-90B5-2C5D0516D138 (resized).jpeg9991EF85-C750-4F0D-90B5-2C5D0516D138 (resized).jpeg

Somebody got a ColorDMD installed today!

#2976 4 years ago

It really does update the game so much. A ColorDMD and a nice LED job really do make an old game seem new again!

Also installed a new launch button and did some tweaking on my my time expander while I wait for dsuperbee to finish his time expander lighting mod.

#2981 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Wait, I hadn’t heard of the time expanded mod - is there a link to that?

No, he does these as kinda one off custom setups. I told him he needs to come up with a kit, because once you see how it looks you wonder why it wasn’t always there.

Next time I see his machine (which is for sale BTW) or when mine is done I’ll take some video.

#2990 4 years ago
Quoted from Maveri:

the machine did start up,
fuses are all checked
when I turn it on it gives one beep
but the 3 LED lights on the CPU board stay on
after the beep nothing happends
in can check if the fuses have the right value

So no PF lights at all and nothing on the DMD? What happens if you just let it sit, is it resetting?

1 week later
#3148 4 years ago

Game made it to its destination today:
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
pinballgoddess absolutely loves it! I've never seen her so happy about a game. Well it "is" Doctor Who...lol
The game plays like a dream!

Looks great dude, nice job!

#3153 4 years ago

I buy my share of NIB games a bit.
And yeah, a brand new game costs a bit whether you build it or buy it.
All brand new parts makes a brand new game.
pinballgoddess asked me if I could make it like brand new.
She wasn't interested in an old beat up game (I spoiled her on all NIB ones).
Doctor Who is a dream game for a fan of the series.
So the answer is "yes!". Just time and money lol.
A better than NIB, HEP style and quality Doctor Who is just a joy to have.
We are very happy with it.

I know this is shots fired but... you can’t get a new game as good as Doctor Who, especially with the modern updates like ColorDMD and Pinsound... except maybe like JJP POTC. But what game these days has a mechanism as crazy as the Time Expander??

#3177 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I’m sorry, the KEVLAR?! just how fast are your balls going?

I think it’s carbon fiber, and he uses it because it’s thin and rigid and won’t bend.

3 weeks later
#3224 4 years ago

988301A2-7233-4616-9574-E45ABDE8FEF1 (resized).jpeg988301A2-7233-4616-9574-E45ABDE8FEF1 (resized).jpeg

@dsuperbee‘s Time Expander light mod installed!

11 months later
#4478 3 years ago
Quoted from opt_prime:

I don't *think* I'm missing a piece in this area but after looking at the manual, I'm not 100% sure. I do see I'm currently missing a screw into one of the plastics, but I doubt that would result in a ball sized gap.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Maybe your ramp is mounted up too high somehow? Mine looks just about the same but the gap is smaller.

3 months later
#4667 3 years ago

Thats a really good price!
Route trash is pusing $4000 now, lol

Well with NIB base editions going from $6k - $8k these days $4000 is a deal price.

3 weeks later
#4692 3 years ago
Quoted from wrd1972_PinDoc:

And Bingo just what I needed. Thanks.
BTW I am ready to proclaim that this pin produces more "air-balls" than any other pin I have played. I thought my FH was the king of air-balls, but now the crown as switched to DW. Seems every ball that strikes the sleeves on the MPM take to the sky.
Anyone else agree with this?

That’s odd, my Doctor Who doesn’t have many air balls.... on the other hand, Williams IJ has crazy air balls off the 3 bank in the middle, they even added a shield and compensation for it in software lol. Hail to the king.

1 month later
#4724 2 years ago

Wow that’s a grab!

Has anyone done DW repro PFs? I know licensing is a thing there but I can imagine something like this is a big piece of the puzzle.

1 week later
#4739 2 years ago
Quoted from CoasterG:

I just purchased a Doctor Who yesterday and I'm waiting for it to arrive.
Any initial tips, must dos, etc?
It doesn't have a ColorDMD so that's already on the list.
Thanks!

In terms of mods or protection, not really... but like Reno said, make sure the Time Expander is moving smoothly and the rails are clean... they can get gunked up with old grease and that can cause issues.

#4747 2 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

There is one more mod.....
And i cant find the video for it

If only someone would make a kit of it...

EEB4EA86-6F2A-4896-A191-A449664D42DD (resized).jpegEEB4EA86-6F2A-4896-A191-A449664D42DD (resized).jpeg

#4752 2 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

No, its a light that i built for my old DW and a few friends. Turns on and off as the time expander goes to the 3rd level. I posted a very quick and crappy vid of it somewhere in this thread.
Its a pretty neat little mod. Once you see it in operation it is pretty cool.
Edit: post 1346 has the vid. Maybe gunstarhero can shoot a better one? My DW is long gone.

Next time you come by we can shoot one.

#4755 2 years ago

Here’s a vid of the LED in my TOM... it’s not the best but it’s something!

It’s a lot brighter and the colors are much more vivid in person. I have an LED in my Doctor as well. It’s nice because it clears the light board

#4757 2 years ago
Quoted from Tophervette:

I am very happy with my LED COLORDMD. Easy Install. It brings the video Jumping doctor to life!
Strangest thing though. I have noticed that sometimes the current Doctor running at the start, changes to another Doctor in different clothes after the first jump. Weird.
Strange thing two. During a Davros multi-ball, with the Dalek on top moving/lighting up and talking, the MPF moving to level 3 - the DMD goes from color to black and white for a couple seconds. Scary. But is a momentary glitch.
I have a daughter/reset board on the CPU. I have a separate dual power supply for my LED Flippers, LED speaker lights, Dalek motor and DMD.

The way ColorDMD works is it basically lays color over the original DMD graphics so if it sees something it didn’t expect to see that’s where you get the black and white flashes from. Make sure you have the game ROM version the ColorDMD expects you to.

2 weeks later
#4780 2 years ago
Quoted from TheShadowsNose:

Some of my red time expander inserts are not flush. Any advice on protecting the area until I get a chance to replace/reseat/and/or level them (also any advice on that would be great too)?
Thanks!

Jeez normally I would say a heat gun and the necessary pressure but in a area like that I don’t really know... are they mobile if you just press with your fingers? Any visible cracking around the insert? Does it mess up ball travel?

#4782 2 years ago
Quoted from TheShadowsNose:

I’ll can post pics later. No cracking. Edges seem ok. No effect on the way in, but you can hear it on the way out, and it seems like it may give the ball a little deflection. Nothing major, but I don’t want it to get worse.
Maybe fill and sand? Don’t really know how to go about it, but looking to learn if need be.

Hmm...I’m not sure I wouldn’t just live with it if it’s not majorly ruining the game play and doesn’t look too bad and isn’t moving around freely it might just be one of those things, and that area is so insert dense I can’t imagine any fix being that straight forward..

#4791 2 years ago

Casual locations and home users often set up a ladder for exta balls to get you further into the game.
Set replay award to extra ball.
Change the auto adjustment from auto to score or levels.
Set the 4 scores
1 at 350 million
2 at 700 million
3 at 1 billion
4 at 1.3 billion
The ladder gives people something to shoot for and lets you see more of the game.
A lot of people prefer this.
I see it a lot at casual locations.

Yeah Peppermill has (or at least has had) their Star Wars like that for some reason... so I could play it almost indefinitely on one credit, lol.

11 months later
#5553 1 year ago
Quoted from CashMoney:

The doctor is in!
New to the club.
[quoted image]

Junk. I’ll come by and steal parts off of it later!

5 months later
#5787 1 year ago

Well if you liked a few Doctors ago you will probably be pretty happy.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Johnson City, TN
4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

£ 110.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gunstarhero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-owners-clubtime-lords-welcome?tu=gunstarhero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.