(Topic ID: 76377)

Doctor Who Owners Club.....Time Lords Welcome!

By HoakyPoaky

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,575 posts
  • 445 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by pinballtoys
  • Topic is favorited by 197 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Dalek7 (resized).JPG
Dalek33 (resized).JPG
Dalek32 (resized).JPG
TheDoctorWhoMiniPlayfieldv1.2.pdf (PDF preview)
Motor 3 (resized).JPG
Wires1 (resized).JPG
Rebuild18 (resized).JPG
GIBuzzBrown (resized).jpg
Back Board lights2 (resized).jpg
20240407_212554 (resized).jpg
DSCF2875 (resized).JPG
DSCF2874 (resized).JPG
Bally_1992_Doctor_Who_Mini_Playfield_Opto_Bank_Paper_Cover_Template.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #194 Link to @pinball_faz 's Time Expander/Mini Playfield Guide Posted by pinball_faz (9 years ago)

Post #491 Link for 3-D Printed Dalek Playfield Posts. Posted by Pinballfantexas (9 years ago)

Post #696 Link to Alternative Whomobile Pinside Thread. Posted by swinks (8 years ago)

Post #1428 ColorDMD install with pics plus other cool things. Posted by ArcadeTechNerd (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dsuperbee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#50 10 years ago

Picked up a non-working re-import DW about a year ago for a grand. Been slowly working on getting it cleaned up and working. Almost there. Just have to re-pin some connectors, install the flippers, and drop in the mini-pf. Just have to wait til Feb due to no heavy lifting.

Hoping to find a nice NOS translite for it. I thought Gene had repro'd him, but have been unable to get any response from IPB about one. Personally not a fan of the alternate, as the graphics do not line up with the lighting behind it.

#61 10 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Check out this on EBay right now (not mine, just thought ya'll would like to see it): ebay.com link » Bally Doctor Who 1992 Pinball Machine Rare One Of A Kind Artwork

Not to be a negative nancy, but I'm not buying the seller's story. That looks like a poster printed on paper to me, and it is NOT the right size to fit a standard bg! it appears way too square.

#71 10 years ago
Quoted from Tomcat:

Yes, that picture was intended for the early backbox version. More Dr Who history on Bill Pfutzenreuter's page....
http://home.comcast.net/~pfutz/UnofficialDoctorWhoPinballHistory/index.html
http://home.comcast.net/~pfutz/UnofficialDoctorWhoPinballHistory/DrWhoBB.htm

I stand corrected!

1 week later
#92 10 years ago
Quoted from bklossner:

Does anyone have any photos of a machine with the "rainbow" alternate translite from pinballwizard.nl -- the multi-colored one instead of primarily blue translite?
http://www.pinballwizard.nl/contents/en-us/d1092_Doctor_Who_Bally_flipperkast_translite_alternatief.html
(We're asking about the first one)
My wife and I are now going bonkers with the fact that the original translite can now be replaced. There's the photo of the "blue" alternative translite in a post above but we'd love to see a pin with the other multi-colored background.

Only with the alternates. No repro's made of the original as far as I know

3 weeks later
#122 10 years ago
Quoted from jedimojo:

I wish I could still get the alternate translite. There's no way that I can tell to order it via the website.... at least not when I looked last. There was some paypal alternative I wasn't familiar with....ug!
Somebody needs to go there and bring a box of these back. You know.... as a gift. For friends. Uh huh.

I just wish someone would remake the original! Finding one of those is even more difficult.

2 months later
#151 9 years ago

Anybody here have a decent shape original translite for sale?? Gene had repros, but for now those cannot be bought.

1 month later
#179 9 years ago

For those with the repro ramps: were your new decals also incredibly off in terms of size? The majority of my decals will require extensive cutting to fit

1 month later
#224 9 years ago

Where is everyone finding the dw cab decals? I've seen the head and the coin door area pop up, but what about the others?

#226 9 years ago
Quoted from catboxer:

Pretty sure Diamond plate is just auto clear, they will chemically bond.

It is, and it should if prepped right

#231 9 years ago
Quoted from jwinn1812:

PM Ballypinball he can put you on the right track

Thank you!

Now does anyone have nos or used translite in good shape they want to sell??

#233 9 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

I saw this one on ebay this morning:
ebay.com link » Doctor Who Pinball Back Glass Mylar
Looks like a small blemish in a solid red area...s/b fixable with some finesse.
faz

Thanks! But I got a nos (or repro, I don't know) with the help of a few friends from baa

1 week later
#238 9 years ago

You can either use tape or get some construction paper and make a new shield. I had to make a new shield for mine (I got the paper at the local crafts store for around a buck), traced the old shield, and made it. It fixed the opto issues I was having.

#240 9 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Thanks. I'll make a new shield out of construction paper and give it a try. It's weird because I tried wrapping my current shield in electrical tape (to make it darker) but it didn't seem to make any difference. Is the paper shield supposed to cover the ends?-my original one didn't.

Yup, the ends should be covered. If they are not, that is most likely what is causing the issue, as it lets the light in. If you try to repair the old one, it is not covering the existing shield that helps, you need to tape over and cracks or joints where light can come in.

#251 9 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Thanks for the info on the paper. Lack of a repro main playfield/translite/plastics does make it a more difficult game to restore. I was able to find a 4 piece plastic set but everything else seems hard to come by. It sounds like the licensing costs are high which is why some of the parts are likely not being made. I'm guessing that the reason that the ramps, mini-pf, and time expander cover were made was because they didn't feature licensed content or pictures of the actors? Hopefully HEP gets to his DW soon as I would love to see the pics.

Contact rick at baa/planetary pinball. I just got a nos (or repro, I really can't tell) translite from him during cax.

#253 9 years ago

It looks good to me! I can take some pictures after work. I still have the protective plastic on the front, since I have not swapped it with the current one. I was planning on doing that today. I will post some side by side, and before/after pics.

It could be NOS for all I know. Rick got it from Gene. But Gene was making stuff without approval, so you never know....

#255 9 years ago
Quoted from awarner:

I'd bet it's an original. This isn't something that Gene ever made, but probably had NOS of lost in his warehouse. Trust me, this is a highly educated guess here.

Either way, I am happy!

#256 9 years ago

Here is the translite I got, protective coating is still on:image.jpgimage.jpg

1 week later
#265 9 years ago

Started working on de-populating and re-populating the new ramps. a Pox on rivets! I don't have a riveter, dammit. Has anyone had luck with small screws and nuts to hold in the optos on the ramp?

I also have been lucky enough to have the game start turning off/on when trying to power up. The game is NOT resetting, but it is like the power is fluttering. But I know it is the game and not the outlet, since no other game (when plugged in there) has the problem.

#269 9 years ago
Quoted from Hawk007:

dsuperbee sounds like you have a cord/plug/or a connector problem. Also check thermistor in the power switch box and all connections in there. You could check the power on the aux plug when firing up with a dmm.

Yeah, that is where I am leaning. This just came on suddenly, but I know it is the game. Just frustrating since I am CLOSE to finishing this 2 year old project.

#288 9 years ago

Got a friend who will help me with the riveting later this week. Pinrestore is out of the riveter and the parts to build your own, so I have been spending my time working on getting the ramps to fit. These ramps have been slightly more work that normal to get them to fit properly and have everything line up. Hoping to have it working by Fri.

#293 9 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Can someone clarify what Cointaker bulb will most match the existing incandescent lights. I've read people using different bulbs. These will be the only LEDs in my game. Thanks.

What spots are you talking about exactly?

2 weeks later
#314 9 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

I haven't used any. Mine is still in pieces but if it needs it I will probably use a teflon lube.

+1 to Teflon lube. I used the same stuff when I rebuilt mine.

1 week later
#329 9 years ago

Not as impressive as Taylor's, but it started out as non working rusty import trash. Game is all back together, just have to fix an electrical issue with the right flipper.image-252.jpgimage-252.jpg

#330 9 years ago

Could someone post a close up of the wiring on the lugs of the lower left flipper? I am 99% sure that my gf got them wrong! and she insists on no pictures! but swears she did it right. (Very well could be, game was bought hacked and not working!)

Thanks

#332 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballlizard:

Really they are that hard to get? I could make one on my lathe in about 5 minutes.

You should make a post here and see how many dw owners are missing theirs, and sell a few. They are hard to find!

#334 9 years ago

FINALLY got my DW back together. Flipper issue fixed, game plays.

Now the 2 left optos on the MPF has stopped working. #&%$*%*! Now I gotta take apart half the damn game again.

#337 9 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

sorry to hear that. I have used opto boards if you need them to hack up.

The boards are fine, I am sure it is the optos. Funny thing is that they all tested fine 2 weeks ago. Ahh...Such is pinball On the bright side, and least the optos themselves are cheap, and I can use this as an excuse to polish some more metal, and adjust the kick-outs on the mini-PF (which right now both shoot right down the middle.)

#339 9 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Yeah. Adjusting the mini is something I'm looking forward to….well at least it means it can be adjusted.

Actually this wasn't too bad on my game. I did have to enlongate the holes quite a bit in the mounting bracket to allow enough room for the Cliffy's, but it wasn't terrible.

#352 9 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Where are the TE scoops suppose to kick to? Opposite flippers?

I believe so. Currently mine both shoot STDM, so they need some sort of adjustment.

#354 9 years ago
Quoted from Fairground:

I notice that mine shoot sdtm during game but if you end the game with them still locked they shoot out to the flippers. can you tell me how it can be adjusted please?

loosen the screws holding the back plates, turn the plates left or right, tighten. Test, adjust as needed. The level of the mini PF will affect this obviously.

#366 9 years ago

Well I pulled the MPF, and supposedly 'fixed' my opto issue.

It lasted for 2 games. #&$*%! The optos are not the issue. I either have a plug I need to replace, or a I have an internally cracked wire. Either way I am not excited about the fix.

2 weeks later
#381 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballnut3:

Has anyone ever tried to smooth the movement of the Playfield going up and down.
mine seems to have a little play

Mine was a little rough due to a bent bracket. I was able to straighten the bracket a bit and it helped, but it still isn't 100% smooth. I do not expect it would be either as the tolerances are not terribly exact. So long as it lies flat when it has to I am happy!

3 weeks later
#408 9 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

Very tempting because they look like they would fit right perfect with the theme. I'm worried they'll get chewed up though. My DW has a fabulous circle gouge from the play field swiveling up.

Mine does too, from the ball gate that keeps the ball from falling back into the shooter lane.

#410 9 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

You should be able to bend that in towards the playfield to prevent that.

Tried it, but the gouge is from the wire that keeps the gate down. I will probably have to make a new shorter one

1 week later
#412 9 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Couple of gameplay questions.
1. When should the trapdoor go down? Mine usually does sometimes after 10 loops but sometimes it will stay up. Will go down after a WHO is completed as well.
2. How do you get an extra ball? I've made numerous WHO sets as well as finished the first four VM levels. I usually allow one extra ball but could never light it so set it to allow two and still unable to qualify one.
Thanks

I haven't progressed too far yet, but for the trapdoor Mine goes down after completing WHO for sure. My record on loops is 7, so no idea beyond that

My game gives an extra ball after 2 WHO completions. That is the only way I have seen it so far. Then just move the extra ball light to the proper inlane and boom!

#418 9 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

I had my game set to tournament mode which turns off EBs. Now the dilemma, allow an EB or just grind it out on 3?
How many EBs are people allowing themselves? Seems they are pretty easy to earn in factory settings.

I have mine currently on factory settings. Lots of non pinheads play so if it is a little easier, so be it

#423 9 years ago
Quoted from awarner:

Cool! I did the documentation on it. Anyway, take your time with the head adjustment and I'd recommend using a Dremel to flatten the lip on the top of the body. You can get the head closer to the body that way. It takes a little while to install but it looks and works like the original (with a smaller gap between the head and body than the original).

Hopefully when these get re-made again I can pick one up. GF saw these and was quite upset we don't have one.

3 months later
#513 9 years ago
Quoted from webdiddy:

Alt translite anyone?

dr-who1.jpg 195 KB

dr-who2.jpg 206 KB

Move the logo on the 2nd one to line up with the lights on the backboard for the light show.

#522 9 years ago
Quoted from Lame33:

Getting the lights to have some relation to what is going on with the game seems like the biggest challenge for designing an alt translite. (if that's even a concern) With that cool space design, arranging the stars to fit the flashing lights would seem like a good way to add some effects.
Then of course, how do you get these things printed?
And what about the K9 LE version?

Exactly. Almost none of the alt translites people have made take into consideration the lights in the backboard, which (for me) is a BIG oversight.

3 weeks later
#558 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Anyone had any issues with the cliffy's, using all three for the mini being too tight or rubbing?

You may have to enlongate the holes in the bracket a bit to slide the mpf back

#561 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

What bracket are you talking about?

The main bracket that rests on the main pf. I had to adjust mine by about 1/8"

1 month later
#594 9 years ago

Check out who my gf and son met today:image.jpgimage.jpg

2 months later
#630 8 years ago

Taylor I will take the slings

1 month later
#675 8 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

How much of a cost deduction would you guys place on faded reds on the cabinet? In a lot of locations you can't even really see the side of a pin. Just curios, mine's not for sale.

No deduction. DW is a rare game that fade won't drop the price much, if at all. However a nice unfaded cab could demand a premium.

#679 8 years ago
Quoted from altan:

Why do you say this? I love my DW but I wouldn't call it rare...

Maybe if you selected my whole quote.....

It is a rare game in that fade won't really drop,the price much.

1 week later
#689 8 years ago

My DW has the issue as well. Eventually I was planning on leveling the inserts, doing touch up, and a spot clear. However if that is not what you want to do touch up and mylar would be OK.

#697 8 years ago

^awesome. Would be in for those!

#701 8 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

Just saw the "COW" transmat whoops. Never heard that mentioned before.
I'm so proud - getting my first mini-playfiled errors now - really feel like I'm in the club. Seems like there is some "slippage" in the motor. Get errors for both CW and CCW directions, with the playfield coming up, and suddenly dropping a bit. Fine when testing with the main playfield up as there is no gravity to drop is down a bit. Feels like there is some play when I manually pull on the mini-playfield lower "bar". I have a Frankenstein replacement motor, so can't even get the miniplayfield out to tighten things up. Any suggestions?

Get the proper motor/gearbox, pull the old one off of the current setup so you can do the work on the mini pf. You really do need to have the ability to pull it when needed.

#705 8 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

Wish I could. I removed the entire playfield when I did a full refurbishment, and think I'll need a welder to remove it! May have to keep looking.DSC_1437.JPG

Could be wrong (and it's hard to tell from the pics). But can't you remove the 2 nuts on the top and slide the whole mech up and off? Some guy got it on there, it has to come off!

3 months later
#776 8 years ago
Quoted from nikpinball:

You can led it then change your flashers to yellow to tone it down a notch. White flashers are just too strong

Or just don't put LEDs in the flashers.

3 weeks later
#788 8 years ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

Question: So tonight I noticed "sometimes" hitting my left flipper scores 1,000 points each flip. I dont think it can be vibration triggering a bad switch. Anyone know what switch is 5,000 points? I do have an opto error, but the opto works so I ignored it.
update: Not just the "somtimes" left flipper. But also idle, it will start scoring 5k points.
Only switch that comes to mind are the lanes that score 5k?

My flippers like to trigger the opto bank on the mini PF. I need to get it fixed, but taking out that #%$& mini pf sucks, so,for now I have let it go.

Shoot a vid! See what sounds (if any) accompany it

2 weeks later
#814 8 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

If you download freac it will do it for you. It's free, and works fine.
I see Pinaball Arcade is releasing Dr Who next on all platforms. That'll have even more people chasing my game!

Thought they were starting a kickstart campaign for it next month?

1 week later
#827 8 years ago
Quoted from travisbmartin:

Has anyone done prebuilt LED kits for their DW? Like Cointaker or NiftyLEDs? The kit I bought was not the best. I have to get $50 or so in flashers to make up for what wasn't included in the "full kit."
I don't know why I'm even posting. I'm frustrated, but I don't want to call them out. I don't even want to email and complain, because I'm not going to get them to just send me $50 in missing parts. I'm just so annoyed about it.

Have you tried contacting them? I've never had an issue with any vendor on correcting any issues.

1 week later
#889 8 years ago

Nice, glad it went to a good home. The Cabinet is really nice. Did you negotiate the price since it is missing the topper? BTW, a cliffy will cover up them dings by the Time Expander. This one seems like a dif one from CL, the one on CL had a coin door lock bar.

If you use a Cliffy, you will need to fill and shape those wear spots, otherwise the protector will bend into it in short order. Cliffy will tell you the same.

1 week later
#899 8 years ago
Quoted from Greenman74:

So, it looks like we are going to have to rebuild the mini-playfield. It is pretty worn out on one side.
Does anyone have any advice, pictures, diagrams, videos for order of disassembly and reassembly?

Faz made a wonderful guide:

https://sites.google.com/site/pinballfaz/

#916 8 years ago
Quoted from Greenman74:

The mini-playfield keeps on binding or getting hung up on something. There is definitely something mechanical going on.

I would take it apart, give everything a really good cleaning first. I bet the issue is not the rollers, but the frame is out of square (which is really common.)

#918 8 years ago
Quoted from Greenman74:

Thanks you. You give me hope, DSuperBee.

It is part of owning a Doctor Who. You will be working on the MPF sooner or later. It is a certainty, like death and taxes

#926 8 years ago

MY DW is on the fritz. Starting to regret owning so many pins... Some day I may just sell it all and give up on this hobby. Just got done trouble shooting JM so pissed off to now start another. Borderline 16 pins for sale on pinside and will never come back.

What is the issue?

#929 8 years ago
Quoted from bpull:

Dont give up Jean-Luc!
Maybe someone local can help you out? As you fix more, you will learn more, and things will get faster and better for you.
Brian

Agree! Don't worry too much, it can be fixed

#943 8 years ago

Top right block in switch test is cleared. no more flickering. However, I have a F6 U.R. Flipper but error. However, DW doesn't have an upper right flipper. I removed the flipptronics board. It had 2 hacks. I replaced it with a rotten dog 1&2 flip board. Still reboots when flippers are hit.
So, I am guessing... Diode is bad on one of the flippers coils?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-test-a-diode-on-coil

Post #10 from Clay will guide you.

#945 8 years ago

update: both flipper buttons reboot the game. highly doubt it is a diode now since both sides are triggering the reboot..

Pinwiki link below. Sounds like your oh so common 5v issue: (I just recently got done doing the same for my DW)

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Game_resets

#948 8 years ago

LOL, that lasted 30 seconds... It is back to resetting via any flipper button. I will continue to read

Read and test, and keep notes. I ended up having to re-pin j101 and j102 (male and female) to fix my issue. It is a very systematic approach and should solve any issues you have. As you mentioned reseating connectors and the error stopped for a short time, that would be a good place to start!

#962 8 years ago

Guys with the bowed entrance to the ramp: Post a few pics. Sounds like your ramp may have warped a bit.

3 months later
#1070 7 years ago
Quoted from BOBCADE:

I finally joined the club! After only coming by one with blown out inserts in a year I found a pretty decent game from a semi local seller only 4.5 hours away. Has a color dmd, nice play field, okay cabinet, protectors on time expander and ramps. I picked up a pinsound board used and should have installed soon.
Question, I always go over parts available for a game and make a judgment call on what to have on hand for just in case. Anyone think something is required to have a hot spare for? I did notice the trapdoor assembly near the upper left flipper is not available or even listed anywhere out of stock. I believe it's A-15444. Anyone see that anywhere?

That trapdoor assy is pretty solid, and doesn't get much use as far as gameplay goes (unless you are a W-H-O fiend!). Get protectors for the sling plastics, and you should be OK!

#1072 7 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Player examples are sub $2k. Collectors examples will be over $5.5k.

I don't think a players game will be found for under 2k anymore. Maybe a parts game missing major assemblies, but a functional DW will probably be around 2200 now.

#1074 7 years ago
Quoted from BOBCADE:

Got sling protectors to put on today. While the trapdoor isn't used often, the inner hinge gets hit with pretty much every loop shot.

Hmm. Mine hits dead center on the door, so that is why I said don't worry too much about it!

8 months later
#1203 7 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Planatary pinball. But Ron did alot of work to make it perfect. I'm in it alot of money.

When they got all the stuff from IPB, there was a good handful of rare NOS pfs available. However most of them needed some work, as was mentioned.

2 weeks later
#1214 7 years ago
Quoted from scooter8416:

Does anyone know the differences in the repo ramps that have been available? Some better than others, or are they all made by the same person/company?

All made by the same company.

1 week later
#1225 7 years ago

Mine decided to shoot the VUK ball cup up and out yesterday. I have seen the complete part for 14, but only the plastic cup broke. DW uses a different size than the standard, anybody know where to get one? Seems the normal sources don't have it.

1 week later
#1235 7 years ago

I'm having the same issue, my motor is probably burned up. My gears all turn fine, and do need some torque to do it. (My big gear comes out no problem from the gear box, btw.)

Any ideas on how to check if the motor is indeed shot? It looks like BAA has the motor (i think. They show two, and one is out of stock.)

#1237 7 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

The motor or the gearbox?
I have a test procedure somewhere... let me find it.
faz
EDIT: Found it!
Check the gear box output first. Put on a pair of leather garden gloves and try to pinch the moving gear. If it spins solidly against the leather things should be good. A broken gear would rotate 14 times a minute or about every 4 seconds. If the gear ever stops moving/stutters, you have a break in the system.
Check the motor next. It unscrews off the gear box. Do the same thing with the gloves, see if the motor spins solidly.
If the gear box is the culprit, you have nothing to lose...drill the rivets and get a look inside. Could be a broken tooth or it could be a broken gear shaft. If it's a broken tooth, I've heard of people swapping gears from other boxes, but honestly, I think I'd buy a new gearbox/motor for that. I did see a neat trick for fixing a broken gear shaft. They replaced the shaft with the shaft of a drill bit...cut to length and the fix held.

Just the motor. Gearbox is apart, as soon as my kid goes down I'm gonna throw it all in my ultrasonic cleaner, then dry it and re grease. Try the motor then too. A buddy recommended something called powershot. He uses it in his rc car motors. Any idea if the motor is brushless or not?

#1239 7 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

I've never cracked open the motor before. I have never had reports of the motor itself failing.
Are you sure it's the motor and not the gear on the motor's arbor? I believe the gear is pressure fit onto the motor shaft. I've seen those tiny gears either break the hold on the shaft or the gear actually split... again, so it's loose. Either of these conditions would allow the motor to turn the gear box under low torque but when more weight comes into play... no deal.
faz

Positive. The arbor gear is already welded solid. The motor is pretty weak, I can stop it easily with leather gloves.

#1241 7 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

Wow! And you have 20V going to the motor??
faz

Yup. To be fair my DW was a reimport basket case. Lots of rust, hacks, etc...I should have just replaced the motor to begin with.

#1243 7 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

I'm really curious to see what the state of the motor is; the catalyst for a motor loss of power. Gotta be the brushes like you hinted. Replace for sure but it would be fun to diagnose.
I don't think you can just get the motor though.. I've only seen the motor/gearbox set.
Maybe Steve at PBR...
faz

BAA had the motor for 30 bucks, so I ordered one. See how it plays out!

#1246 7 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

That's what I thought. Looks like a repair was attempted... perhaps they found a replacement gear or fabricated one by hand. Either way the gear disintegrated because it was a lesser material. You will be so much happier with a new gearbox... and you'll have some spare gears and a motor... because evidently they can fail too (sorry Brian).
faz

It's only the 2nd time I've had a motor fail. 1sr was on my FH, and that was an abused routed game too

#1248 7 years ago

As a follow up, the motor arrived and until I can find a place (or figure out) to raise the gear up on the shaft, it won't work. The gear is pressed on the shaft almost all the way down, instead of at the very end. So even though it is listed as being able to work with DW, it won't without some finagling of the gear.

#1268 7 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

So, the gear is on there, just in the wrong position along the shaft? That stinks! Feels like you would need the equivalent of a brake hub puller to press grab the edge of the gear and apply pressure to the shaft.
faz

We are gonna try to torch it and see what happens. My directional board also had its capacitor spill its guts, which also added to the problem. The chip has a nasty leg, and a couple of th diodes

#1272 7 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

I'm interested to see how this works.
Here's some good discussion in the RC world.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?91851-I-have-a-motor-with-a-brass-cog-on-the-end-How-do-i-remove-the-cog-and-replace-it/page2
Maybe try the soldering iron first.. it's a little more controlled.
faz

Tried the iron, but it couldn't get it hot enough. Mine only goes to 900 or so (I think)

1 month later
#1283 7 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

All right - follow-up.
I noticed that the flashers under the left ramp are also lit constantly. They do flash in test, so ... I guess it's good? Just wanted to confirm whether this is expected. I've not seen a pin with flashers that have constant power before.
Next thing: I'm working on the miniplayfield. I am having some serious issues with it all of a sudden, it was going up and down... ok.. before but I disassembled it to clean it - now it won't go up or down hardly at all. I don't *think* it's binding (followed Faz's guide to line it all up) but it's got to be something like that - it had enough power before, and was able to go up and down, so I'm not sure what to think.
Also, is it possible to misalign the cam where it is raising the MPF but the optos don't realize it? In other words, the tab is in the wrong spot so the optos think the MPF is raised or lowered all the way, but it is in fact not?
thx!

Ok:

mini pf: check for power at the motor, should be 20v D.C. If you have power there, checkmthe motor board underneath the pf. Test the transistors on the board. I had a similar issue (motor was shot, but my game was a reimport from somewhere near water, given the rust all over) BUT the capacitor on the board went bad, leaked, and corroded the chip, and that stopped the motor totally. (Verified by swapping into my wh20, Bigfoot quit moving)

#1285 7 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I forgot to mention - when I hook up my 12V power supply to the MPF it goes up and down all day long. Slips a little at the top, but I figure this is an alignment thing. It goes up and down when powered outside the game both CW and CCW (i.e. reverse wired) and with the entire MPF assembled as well as just the brackets themselves.
So I'm thinking either a) not enough power is getting to the motor (will test that), or b) something is binding so bad it just can't move
next I'll swap the driver board with my TZ or creature and see what happens..

So it moves when the bi directional board is bypassed....problem on that board then. I'm going with the capacitor is bad, and possibly leaked it's guts and corroded something(s) on the board. Follow your power cables from the motor to the board.

#1293 7 years ago

I finally got my time expander fixed (except for my wonky bracket) and back into the game. I've also done a nice little mod so the time expander scoops are lit during multi ball, and off when the pf is not all the way up (so no issues with extra light near the optos. I will get some vids posted here soon.

#1295 7 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

All right, here's a video of my time expander. Note I have cliffys on but i experienced the same situation before installing them. As far as I can tell, the surfaces are not binding on the edges - the Mpf is pushed fully back in the brackets.
» YouTube video

Same issue mine had. Like I mentioned, I bet it's on the bi directional board. Can you post a pic of it?

#1307 7 years ago

Your board has been worked on before. Someone had replaced the cap and the chip already.

Maybe you got really unlucky and your motor went out too, hopefully not. If you didn't enlongate the holes in the mounting bracket enough it could be rubbing as Faz mentioned.

#1311 7 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Thanks a bunch guys - I will look more into the board; hopefully I have some of the parts needed. Or I wonder if the board is for sale somewhere

They aren't reproduced yet.

#1320 7 years ago

The bidirectional board ia used on cv, wh2o, and dw. So of you have a friend with those games, swap the boards and see if the problem stays or goes away.

#1322 7 years ago

Hoping you aren't as unlucky as me and it ends up being the motor and the board.

#1325 7 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The motor actually looks pretty good - it tests out ok, so i'm hoping it's just the board! I haven't been able to test things thoroughly yet, so i don't know what part is bad, but hopefully I can get to that today. Funny thing is, everything was working before, and it just seems hard to believe the board blew something so quickly.

Mine went bad in 2 games. Everything was working great, next game motor slowed down to a crawl, next game....didn't move at all. The game is 20+ years old, so stuff breaking should be expected

#1327 7 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

That sucks! Well, I haven't played *one* game on this one yet, so I would have loved to at least have that! PinballDoctor is saving the day, shipping me a new board. I'm headed to FLorida on sunday so I won't have parts from Marco before I leave... I'm hoping I can put the new board in the game and just GO! I'll repair the board, and probably sell one of them once we've bulletproofed the game.
Question on flashers: do the flashers under the left ramp and behind the back wall (doctor #5) stay on all the time?

No flashers should be on all the time. If your flashers remain lit, you have a transistor issue somewhere.

1 week later
#1334 7 years ago
Quoted from chrisr:

Just joined the club! I'm looking for the time expander target buttons. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Man...those have been unobtaniumn forever. Good luck in the hunt!

1 week later
#1346 6 years ago

Hey everyone,

Finally shot a super short (and super crappy) showing my mod mod. Check it out! (I will shoot a better video later on when I have more time!)

#1348 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Looks awesome! ... but I can't tell what you modded? Wish my mini PF worked that well!

I lit the Dalek shots, but the lights are only on when the minipf is fully extended.

It took a lot of work to get it to go that good, and it still needs some work!

2 weeks later
#1434 6 years ago
Quoted from Elicash:

Guys, what is current average price for a Dr Who? Interested in one that is on location, so likely a little roughed up and in need of shop. But overall playfield looks good.
This is a pin I dont know alot about. But seems like it might be a sleeper. Thanks!

Gotta see pics, but I would guess minimum 2.5k, unless it is in super poor shape, then less. Your location will also drive the price up or down, depending on where you live

1 month later
#1484 6 years ago

That panel looks great! EL panel correct?

#1486 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Completely LED-lit from behind, not EL-wire, which will lose brightness over time and eventually not light at all (I know - I have one of the original EL wire Twilight Zone backboards)
Comes with a remote control with which you can dial in specific color schemes (works best on certain games but functions on all)
I will have one installed in my Nu-DW pin soon, and will post pics and a video

El panels are not El wire. Pretty sure it is paper, given one of the photos above. Thinking about building my own.

#1488 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Poor choice of words on my part. EL panels are made using the same electro-luminance approach that EL-wire uses. A plastic panel or wire is coated with the EL solution, electricity is applied, and the EL coating lights up. Eventually that coating wears out or comes off, and you've just got a dimly lit piece of plastic.
That's not how these panels are made - these panels have LEDs embedded in a form mold which has transparent silicone poured in to allow the lights to shine through. It is a seriously robust final product. You replace the entire wood panel that the plastic artwork sits on top of, and it is evenly lit front behind.

Gotcha. I did read the panels have a limited life, although it is pretty long. If the above process is what is done, I can see why they are expensive. How thin is the above process? Seems like it would be thicker than a panel, but still thin enough to not cause fitment issues.

1 week later
#1493 6 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

A friend of mine just pointed out that the posts on the outlanes are adjustable. How are they set on your machine (up or down) and does anyone know how they were set from the factory?

I keep em in the middle, the out lanes are brutal on DW, but I like the challenge

#1497 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Wow no fade at all!

He's got some on the front, but way better than most!

#1513 6 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Holy hell, that is a beautiful machine. That backless is amazing. Normally I hate alternate translights, but THAT ONE is amazing. I'm looking at buying a Doctor Who soon. Not soon enough.

Except it doesn't match up with the original light show at all, which will make it look weird in person. To each their own though.

#1516 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Funny you should say that - I "auditioned" this and the other alt translite, and while you are correct the other one doesn't match up at all, this one absolutely does. The main flashers are behind the DW logo, the Tardis, the Daleks and the light show looks really really good. I really prefer the color scheme on this one better, too. I put a blue light under the blue thing in Davros' head (upper right) and it lines up perfectly. Really well done, this one.

There is no way the doctor who lights on the backboard line up with the logo on that translite. The lights are in the upper center of the backbackboard, and that DW logo isn't dead center. The flasher lines up with the logo, but you have an awesome light show going off behind a few planets.

IMG_0395 (resized).JPGIMG_0395 (resized).JPG

#1519 6 years ago

It's a good looking translite (one in a swap box would be great) but the light show simply doesn't line up IMO. But it's my opinion, so it doesn't matter if you are happy.

#1522 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I really wish I could have found the original design for the Bally head, and had that remade, but who knows how that would work with the light show. The production translite was done at the total last minute; I've always hated it! Lol
Love your avatar btw!

It would be time consuming, but relatively easy to make the light show fit an alternate translite. Just move the symbol lite show to,the center, and enlarge the spacing to fit the logo. Any GI socket could be moved to wherever (or use strips from comet, and eliminate all GI sockets that aren't needed to lite the strips) and move flashers as needed.

#1528 6 years ago

All doctor who pins have factory clearcoated. I believe they all have the DP logo, since it is an earlier WPC era game, but I could be wrong.

1 week later
#1545 6 years ago

Could be your flipper opto board. Swap the left and right and see if the issue stays or follows with the board.

2 weeks later
#1570 6 years ago
Quoted from rhettkun:

Hey guys, bought a Who recently and I'm trying to find the correct types of posts missing from the ball guides (pictured). Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Take the ones you have to a local hardware store (not lowes or HD) and they should have something that works. I was missing these on my Gilligans and Ace hardware had them.

#1573 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Where did you get all the Doctor faces from?

They are old promo pieces. Normal pinball vendors might have them, and of course eBay does

#1588 6 years ago

That's how they were made at the factory, not sure what is confusing about it.

3 weeks later
#1603 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Quick update - my game has the PinSound board installed. When I got back home from a long trip I fired up the game and all of a sudden it's resetting! I have not replaced the caps on the power driver board, but The game worked fine 2 weeks ago.
I rewired one of the power wires that feed the miniplayfield, thinking that might be it. Nope.
Tried a couple other things, then disconnected the PinSound. No resets. So I'm now at the threshold where that board is drawing just barely too much power with my other mods (I have colordmd LED in there too). I tried turning down the sound on the PinSound board, and reducing the bass output. Then I raised the volume on the coin door back to (roughly) where the volume was.
Works perfectly now.

I would go through the reset section for wpc games on pinwiki.

#1617 6 years ago
Quoted from timelord_warner:

Just curious, do you have original or reproduction ramps? I recently installed the thicker reproduction ramps and had a heck of a time fitting them together with the plain reproduction ramp covers. They eventually fit together, but it was much more cramped than with the original ramps and covers. I want the stenciled versions but am nervous they will be even more difficult to fit together.

Thicker ramps mean less space. I've always had to do a little trimming on all my repro ramps

1 month later
#1653 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballshark:

Here's a question for all DW owners.
When the game is over and I get a high score and input my initials, the game immediately starts another game. Do they all do that?
How do I turn this behavior off?

Mine doesn't do that.

#1656 6 years ago

L-2 is the only rom besides prototype. Possibly a flakey switch or being too enthusiastic with pushing the start button. Try to shoot a video.

1 month later
#1692 6 years ago
Quoted from robodhisattva:

Greetings! can someone lead me to the board connector in the backbox of my Doctor Who that related to the E.S.C.A.P.E. lights on the playfield? Mine are intermittent and I would like to clean the connector and pins.
Thanks!

Your issue is almost certain to be the connector down on the board and not in the back box. If you have already reflowed the header pins and it didn't help, you may need to replace the male pins and female connector. Issues caused from the backbox connection would have other lights having problems.

#1694 6 years ago
Quoted from robodhisattva:

Most certainly is the board connector. It "works when wiggled" but does not seem to stay working unless some tension is on the light board. Is this when I "reflow the header pins"
It is such a great game. Everything is working but these lights and I want it 100% somehow it throws me off the entire game.

Yup, reflow the header pins on the light board. Should solve the issue.

1 month later
#1737 6 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

Any ideas on obtaining a plastic set?

Make a wtb post and be prepared to shell out a lot of dough, it won't be cheap.

1 month later
#1776 6 years ago

Haven't seen many of these unique parts around. Looking to obtain some nice NOS Mushroom buttons.
Anyone 3d Print these. Sorry if this is a common question but mine are nasty looking.

Hopefully someone does 3D print. They are impossible to find. Try some rubbing compound and some elbow grease. Cleaned mine up OK.

1 month later
#1833 6 years ago
Quoted from darfnader:

Brilliant. I knew the Time Lords wouldn't let me down. I'll try this first and see where it gets me.
Anyone else have a thinner plug vs the thicker one I have here?

Thin one on mine, never had a problem.

2 weeks later
#1892 5 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

I'm trying to price my Doctor Who for sale. It's got minimal side fade, great playfield, I'm installing repro ramps and a rubber kit in the next week or two, the mini playfield has a cliffy but it's a little beat on the edge, color DMD installed. Up here in the Northwest pins tend to be on the higher end of the scale, does $3400 seem like the right territory? I'm thinking 3K plus the $400 color DMD. No mods or LEDs.

Post pics.

2 weeks later
#1906 5 years ago
Quoted from hailrazer:

I decided to side-light my speaker panel. Took about 4 hours to do.
Just noticed my 2 spotlights for the playfield are pointed a bit high and shining on my dmd panel. Need to adjust those

Looks good! Care to share how you did the speaker panel?

2 weeks later
#1918 5 years ago
Quoted from acmeman:

I just felt like duckduckgo-ing and I found two different alternate backglasses and an Ebay link for an original glass. Don't know if it's useful or not.
http://www.ministryofpinball.com/en/game-specific-items/dr-who-alternate-translite.html
ebay.com link » Doctor Who Pinball Alternate Translite
ebay.com link » Doctor Who Pinball Game Bally Trans Light Used Good Condition Free Shipping

Man, those real translites are getting up there in price. The alternate looks nice, but doesn't match up with the light show on the backboard, FYI

2 weeks later
#1926 5 years ago
Quoted from cmack750:

Is there supposed to be a post sleeve installed at the tip of the left-hand inline/outlane ball guide? If so, what diameter sleeve? There is on mine, but for some reason, the sleeve appears to be too big and when the ball starts down the left outlane, it gets stuck between the sleeve and side of the machine since there isn't enough space for it to pass. Could just be my sleeve is swollen and I need a new one. Or it could be the previous owner just put one in to make the game easier......
Anyone have any thoughts and if possible, could someone post a picture of what this area should look like?

No post sleeve there.

2 weeks later
#1949 5 years ago

I wonder if CPR will be able to run Dr. Who Plastics. This by far is my favorite WPC era game.
I know some plastics sets were out there years ago. Who originally produced them

Just have to negotiate with the BBC And the actors portrayed.

1 month later
#1962 5 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

Anybody know if the emitters and recievers can be replaced on the upper playfield opto boards?

Yup.

#1963 5 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeTechNerd:

Love the game, but great screaming Gort getting to the pop bumpers is a miserable task! Not that changing out bumper skirts isn't miserable in general but when you have to pull out all of the ramps to do it, well...
Those old ones really did need to go tho! They have obviously seen a few games over the years.
And oh yeah, the pops are getting the LED treatment! I really don't want to have to get back into them anytime in the near future![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Yeah, they pretty much are in the worst position ever for working on. If you can get the pf out, it's the easiest way to replace them. Adjusting them under the pf while the game is in place is not fun.

2 weeks later
#2005 5 years ago

In dire need of some mini pf parts. The inner ball guides, and the deflectors on the left and right sides behind the ball poppers. I seriously fucked up and threw em away by mistake.

#2018 5 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

Use a silicone spray.
Clean the brackets completely. Spray on the silicone, rub it all over the metal really well with a towel... wipe off excess. Grease of any kind will just cake up rubber dust, other stray bits and eventually will turn into a hard gunk.
EDIT: Also as for you car oil changing analogy. Consider, that your cabinet does not frequently go in a temperature range of 0 degrees C to 120 C nor does it have exhaust particulates injected into the grease. Wheel bearings on a trailer getting heavy use are recommended changing after 12,000 miles (according to the inter-webs)... so, that's about 63 Million MPF operations But like I said, I don't think it will hurt.
faz

On mine I sanded the spots where the brackets ride. Got it super smooth, then very light silicone. Smoothest I've ever seen it work.

#2021 5 years ago

Are you testing with a ball rom your finger?

1 month later
#2073 5 years ago

Started repainting a friend's DW:

IMG_3608 (resized).JPGIMG_3608 (resized).JPGIMG_3609 (resized).JPGIMG_3609 (resized).JPG
#2076 5 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Very cool. Good job on that logo. Any plans to do the star bursts as well?

Yes. Still cutting the frisket for it.

4 weeks later
#2092 5 years ago

Hey guys,

Got a buddy with an extra, 99% complete mini pf assembly (only missing the motor, gearbox, cam, cam roller.)

Any idea on the value, or a good guess?

#2095 5 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

The motor, gearbox and cam are ALOT more than 1% of the assembly. But if its clean and the plastic cover on top.isn't cracked it would be worth at least a few hundred.

Sorry, it was an estimate. All the unobtanium stuff is there.

#2101 5 years ago
Quoted from Niterider:

I’d be interested in it if it’s in better shape then my current mini pf. I just pulled mine out to work on some optos that are misbehaving.
Can you get a pic or two so we can see what shape it is in?

Sure, next time I'm over there.

#2111 5 years ago

Decals can be found at planetary pinball or BAA for the time expander cover. The metal shroud with the master on it....I've never seen available.

5 months later
#2386 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I see that it can be a problem when raising and lowering the playfield if there isn't enough slack.
Thanks!

That cable does NOT go through the pf. It should just go straight back.

4 months later
#3155 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Found the video! I kinda remember this from a few years ago. That is COOL!
oops, forgot to add the link:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-owners-clubtime-lords-welcome/page/27#post-3731532

I am still working on Gunstar Hero's mod. It will be the 3rd I've done.

As he said they are all 1 offs. Everything gets built by hand and aren't hard to make, but I build them out of my garage when I have the time.

I've no idea what I would even charge if I did sell them.

It basically lights the Dalek scoops when the mini pf hits the 3rd level, and turns off at all the other times. It looks pretty cool, but does require drilling 2 holes to mount the lights, and some soldering. I guess I could use alligator clips, but I personally hate them except for testing.

The mod has some disconnects so if you need to remove the subway or mini pf it can be done without desoldering.

#3157 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I'd love to replicate this - do you have any photos of the under side of the MPF?

Not at the moment, or at least I don't with the mod installed. But basically I had to create and L bracket that connects under the leftmost post on the mod that has enough space to hold a micro switch and still have clearance so that it doesn't catch when the mpf goes up and down. I also had to create a bracket that holds the light strip that connects to two of the subway mount brackets. Once that was done, you need a wiring harness that connects to a gi socket. Harness goes from GI socket to a connector, connector has one lead that goes to the switch, off of a switch to another connector (other lead goes straight to the connector). Both of the leads have to have enough slack to move up and down and not rip any of the wiring apart. The last connector goes to the strip light, again with enough slack to not rip anything apart. I used the 2 connectors so everything can come apart if needed, so if the subway needs to come out, or the mpf needs to come out, it's no big deal.

4 weeks later
#3228 4 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Let's get an instruction posted with many many details, like Faz's guide.

Can't, sold my game earlier this evening.

Dan has been gently pushing me to make a kit for these. Still on the fence about it.

2 weeks later
#3327 4 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Trust me, I have had it out, rebuilt with new boards, and I believe the aftermarket boards are garbage. I will bench test them and I am going to rebuild the originals. Worked fine and then optos start acting weird.

The Great Lakes Modular aftermarket boarda are excellent. I put them in my DW and had 0 issues at all.

1 year later
#4746 2 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

In terms of mods or protection, not really... but like Reno said, make sure the Time Expander is moving smoothly and the rails are clean... they can get gunked up with old grease and that can cause issues.

There is one more mod.....

And i cant find the video for it

#4750 2 years ago
Quoted from CoasterG:

New Expander kit?

No, its a light that i built for my old DW and a few friends. Turns on and off as the time expander goes to the 3rd level. I posted a very quick and crappy vid of it somewhere in this thread.

Its a pretty neat little mod. Once you see it in operation it is pretty cool.

Edit: post 1346 has the vid. Maybe gunstarhero can shoot a better one? My DW is long gone.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 40.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
£ 110.00
3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dsuperbee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-owners-clubtime-lords-welcome?tu=dsuperbee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.