(Topic ID: 76377)

Doctor Who Owners Club.....Time Lords Welcome!

By HoakyPoaky

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,575 posts
  • 445 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by pinballtoys
  • Topic is favorited by 197 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Dalek7 (resized).JPG
Dalek33 (resized).JPG
Dalek32 (resized).JPG
TheDoctorWhoMiniPlayfieldv1.2.pdf (PDF preview)
Motor 3 (resized).JPG
Wires1 (resized).JPG
Rebuild18 (resized).JPG
GIBuzzBrown (resized).jpg
Back Board lights2 (resized).jpg
20240407_212554 (resized).jpg
DSCF2875 (resized).JPG
DSCF2874 (resized).JPG
Bally_1992_Doctor_Who_Mini_Playfield_Opto_Bank_Paper_Cover_Template.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #194 Link to @pinball_faz 's Time Expander/Mini Playfield Guide Posted by pinball_faz (9 years ago)

Post #491 Link for 3-D Printed Dalek Playfield Posts. Posted by Pinballfantexas (9 years ago)

Post #696 Link to Alternative Whomobile Pinside Thread. Posted by swinks (8 years ago)

Post #1428 ColorDMD install with pics plus other cool things. Posted by ArcadeTechNerd (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dmod.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#283 9 years ago
Quoted from Lame33:

I was really excited about the colordmd kit until I learned that you lose game functionality unless you permanently mod the pin for the number lights. Given my soldering skill are about at the level of untrained, one haned monkey, I've lost most of my initial enthusiasm for the kit. (At least until I can improve my skills beyond slather a bunch of solder to replace a flipper coil) It's too bad they don't offer a replacement compatible lighting part as an additional purchase.

Suggest contacting Rob Anthony (Borygard) or Kris Bliznick (Firebird Pinball) to see if they could make the board changes for you. The board changes are 100% reversible.

1 year later
#862 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer22:

Ok, so color dmd is installed and code installed. What's the proper way to hook up the doctor light board connector??

Shift the display higher on the speaker panel using the hole set closest to the bottom of the display. Then remount the lamp board to the speaker panel beneath the display.

Make sure that the lamp connector does not make contact with the metal bracket.

When the speaker panel is raised the display will block opening/closing of the backbox lamp panel, but this is the easiest way to use the original lamp board. Alternately you can modify the lamp board to fit between the screen and the speaker panel using the guide on our SUPPORT page.

#864 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer22:

I thought the color dmd had code that it would light the doctors with the lcd and no longer need the doctor light board. Guess not

The LAMP_IN connector on the board was designed for the THING lamps on Addams Family and only works when all the lamps are in the same column of the lamp matrix.

#866 8 years ago
Quoted from travisbmartin:

I've been thinking of putting a ColorDMD in mine as well. Does the kit work well with a Flipper Fidelity speaker kit? I'm worried about space issues.

Not sure, but I haven't received any emails regarding compatibility problems with Flipper Fidelity.

9 months later
#1149 7 years ago
Quoted from awarner:

A friend of mine created the original replacement that actually uses the software in the game to control it. It also uses a motor like the original. Unlike the original, the motor is adjustable so you can compensate for the proper gap between the head and the body. The person with the servo attaches to the light and the motion is jerky. So it is nothing like the original. And LEDs, to be even close to what is right, all GI should be white. Colors under inserts. The attack and decay of LEDs is still wrong so the light shows look bad. I have LEDs in my speaker panel so I could put in a ColorDMD. It's the upgrade I hate the most. I'm thinking of buying a new ColorDMD LED panel so I can go back to incandescent bulbs in there...

If you have a newer bracket with mounting holes near the bottom of the bracket, you can mount the LCD higher on the speaker panel and still have room for the lamp board along side it. It's a tight fit and you may need to adjust the position of the lamp board but it does work.

The downside is the display stick ups more and blocks the backbox door so you need to lower the speaker panel to open/close the door.

4 years later
#4758 2 years ago
Quoted from Tophervette:

I am very happy with my LED COLORDMD. Easy Install. It brings the video Jumping doctor to life!
Strangest thing though. I have noticed that sometimes the current Doctor running at the start, changes to another Doctor in different clothes after the first jump. Weird.
Strange thing two. During a Davros multi-ball, with the Dalek on top moving/lighting up and talking, the MPF moving to level 3 - the DMD goes from color to black and white for a couple seconds. Scary. But is a momentary glitch.
I have a daughter/reset board on the CPU. I have a separate dual power supply for my LED Flippers, LED speaker lights, Dalek motor and DMD.

Strange thing one is correct behavior. The doctor does in fact sometimes change from one to another when his head goes off the screen. Not sure if this is a bug in the original code or was an easter egg but this is in the video output from the game. It's more noticable when the doctors are colored because you see the change in clothing.

Not sure about strange thing two. Gemerally speaking a default single color will be shown when a frame isn't recognized. I don't recall off the top of my head but I think the default color on Doctor Who is blue or yellow.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 85.00
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Boards
Slap Save Creations

Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

£ 110.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dmod.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-owners-clubtime-lords-welcome?tu=dmod and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.