(Topic ID: 76377)

Doctor Who Owners Club.....Time Lords Welcome!

By HoakyPoaky

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,575 posts
  • 445 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 days ago by pinballtoys
  • Topic is favorited by 197 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Dalek7 (resized).JPG
Dalek33 (resized).JPG
Dalek32 (resized).JPG
TheDoctorWhoMiniPlayfieldv1.2.pdf (PDF preview)
Motor 3 (resized).JPG
Wires1 (resized).JPG
Rebuild18 (resized).JPG
GIBuzzBrown (resized).jpg
Back Board lights2 (resized).jpg
20240407_212554 (resized).jpg
DSCF2875 (resized).JPG
DSCF2874 (resized).JPG
Bally_1992_Doctor_Who_Mini_Playfield_Opto_Bank_Paper_Cover_Template.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #194 Link to @pinball_faz 's Time Expander/Mini Playfield Guide Posted by pinball_faz (9 years ago)

Post #491 Link for 3-D Printed Dalek Playfield Posts. Posted by Pinballfantexas (9 years ago)

Post #696 Link to Alternative Whomobile Pinside Thread. Posted by swinks (8 years ago)

Post #1428 ColorDMD install with pics plus other cool things. Posted by ArcadeTechNerd (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider clnilsen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#323 9 years ago
Quoted from awarner:

I'm going to try these - they eliminate one major step:

abl_flex_1-smd-led_wedge.jpg 27 KB

So I just tried these in my ColorDMD install. Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out a way for these to work. If they were a bit longer they probably would do the trick. I really don't want to mod my light board, but I don't know as there's another solution

#326 9 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeTechNerd:

So then, are you saying that the leads are too short? And did you clip them off at the top of the housing or undo the leads at the bottom of the wedge?
Seems like in either case it should not be that difficult to extend the leads slightly if needed.

I was hoping they might be long enough to have the board sit at and angle and thread the LED's in (yeah, I know this was a reach )

They certainly could be pulled apart and soldered on though.

1 month later
#386 9 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

I've also asked Pingraffix to consider doing some inside cab decals for DW. Their JD ones turned out nice.

I have pinblades on mine, but I actually would prefer the look of some inside cab details, especially if it were to have some updated graphics from the new series!

1 month later
#439 9 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

I completed some work on my DW this weekend. I took off the ramps which allowed me to clean and get to those hard to reach bulbs and rubbers. I also got the logo glass protector ...

Hey - I've seen that glass protector on a few machines, but my Google is failing me. Where did you get it?

Thanks!

#442 9 years ago

Yes! Thanks! (Now just need to wait for it to come back in stock!)

1 month later
#468 9 years ago

Got two projects done this weekend -
1) I had to pull the lamp board for the 5th Doctor bulb and reflow the solder. Let me just say it was balls to get out of the machine. Ended up tilting the playfield partially and undoing the two screws that attach it to the back of the playfield with a thumb screwdriver. Glad to have it back working though!

2) Replaced the ramp protectors with the ones from www.Gamestencils.com - they look great! I was shocked at how yellowed the originals were!

#469 9 years ago

One thing I've had problems with since I got my Doctor Who is the ball getting hung up on the protector on the top front of the mini playfield, usually when it's got slow momentum. I thought the tape underneath it was dried up, and finally after it hanging a few times tonight in games, I got fed up and I thought I'd take a closer look tonight.

Tearing into it, I was shocked to discover a previous owner thought super glue would be a great way to fix the mini playfield!Glue crazy!Glue crazy! The glue was on so thick, it had spring up the protector.

Thankfully, I was able to get it off carefully with a knife and my fingernail. Unfortunately the protector was permanently sprung upwards, still leaving the problem.

Next, I took a set of flat sheet metal hand brakes and put a bit of a downward bend on the lip, which most assuredly solved the problem! Now no more hang ups! Slight downward bendSlight downward bend

#478 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I'm having this exact problem. What did you use exactly to fix the issue? You replaced the tape?

Unfortunately, the area underneath was already buggered, and the tape long gone. I used a scaling knife to get the remaining glue off and the area as generally level as possible, then used a pair of hand brakes like these to give a slight bend down to minimize the lip. Hope that helps!

http://www.amazon.com/Sheet-Bending-Folding-Straight-Seaming/dp/B0071CBOG4/ref=sr_1_9

2 weeks later
#496 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinballfantexas:

Look whats over on shapeways.com
Dalek pinball posts!
http://www.shapeways.com/product/D5W8ULN5S/dalek-post-version-a-six-pack?li=user-profile&optionId=43304273

625x465_2920136_7790427_14175937... 9 KB

625x465_2920136_7790425_14175936... 16 KB

So, looking at these, Metal or Plastic? I'm thinking plastic, but is there a possibility of the ball even striking these ever?

Also (since I am not near my machine to count), are the red posts all the same size on the DW machine, and how many would you need to convert? Hmmm tempting.

#501 9 years ago

Just picked up a white set to try. Debated the color quite a bit, so we'll see what might look good! Great Idea though!

#517 9 years ago
Quoted from webdiddy:

dr-who3.jpg 205 KB

I really like this!, though I think the blues all blend a bit too much. A couple thoughts:

1) Either add in the time vortex in the background or replace with the multicolor logo?
2) add in photo images vs. cartoons of all the doctors?

Personally, I also am partial to the early 80's neon logo as well but these are really nice!

#518 9 years ago

OK - Kind of random question. Anyone know if there is a simple way to temporarily disable all the lighting in the machine for troubleshooting light bleed in optos? Not sure if there is a simple plug that could be pulled or not.

Thanks!!

#521 9 years ago

GLM:

Thanks for the heads up! That tip helped!

#526 9 years ago
Quoted from Lame33:

And what about the K9 LE version?

Never heard of this! What does it look like?

1 month later
#588 9 years ago
Quoted from jfesler:

Our Dalek topper plastic is yellowed. Anyone know how to bring it back towards being clear? We'd replace it, but replacements appear to be impossible.

I have had really good luck with attacking it with novus. Start with 1 & 2, only going to 3 as a worst case scenario. White LED's also help make it look less yellow vs. a standard bulb...

1 week later
#592 9 years ago
Quoted from selmo:

As long as they are printed in transparent plastic, they should work just fine (and look great). They have the same size & shape as a regular star post on the bottom, including the hollow space.

I was revisiting these again now that I've tried a white plastic set, and would be interested in a red transparent. Can shapeways be enable to print that, or do they not offer that material?

3 months later
#664 8 years ago

I think you might be referring to my thread... but no I did not. it's been working great since I installed it.

Would love to see pictures of yours btw! I have contemplated the habitrail pictures in mine as well.

1 year later
#1120 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

I just got a doctor who recently and put an alternate translite on it. Looks great lit up.

Cool alt translight! Where is it from?

5 months later
#1250 7 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Hi folks-
I am considering joining the club - I was wondering what types of mods are available, other than the Dalek topper? Anything? I want to rework the game to include some of the more current doctors with a new transpire and (maybe) updated cabinet decals. Figuring I'll have to go solo for those, I'll find a place to print them up. Has anyone added a Tardis mod? Seems like it's kind of wasted on the play field

A few people (including myself) have done nice upgrades to the TARDIS on the wireform on the right side (I did a how-to post for a version a while back). There's also some really nice upgrades to the 3rd Doctor's Whomobile on the ramps available from Shapeways (mentioned up thread, I believe). The ColorDMD is a must-have, in my opinion. I also have the moving Dalek kit.

Other than that, there's not much else room on the playfield for mods without just putting random toys on there. I've always thought a nice K9 mod would be cool (something interactive) but I've not tackled it. I'm also disappointed that the guy who makes the LCD TV screen mods never did a Doctor who version, I always thought a mod that changed the intros from the show to match what Doctor was activated would be kick ass.

With regard to a Translite update, there's one listed periodically on ebay but I've been meh about it. Something in the concept of the original (with all the Doctors) but including the NuWho run would be cool.

In my wildest dreams, I'd LOVE to get together a group to commission Andrew Skilleter to do a design; he does a LOT of Who work (http://andrewskilleter.com/doctor-who/)

2 months later
#1349 7 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Hey everyone,
Finally shot a super short (and super crappy) showing my mod mod. Check it out! (I will shoot a better video later on when I have more time!)
» YouTube video

Very cool!

3 months later
#1587 6 years ago

This pic really confuses me, unless this is something in the manufacturing process (which doesn't quite make sense either)?

Quoted from awarner:

This is another thing I never thought of:

4 months later
#1705 6 years ago

Anyone know if there are anyone reproing the speaker panels for Dr Who?

1 month later
#1763 6 years ago
Quoted from Pmuis:

Done.
I'm very curious what people think of the pinblades for the doctor who. I can't decide weather or not it's worth it or if it looks good. What's the opinion here? If possible I would love to see more pictures of installed ones in machines.

I really love the look of mine. I think they actually add to the appeal... which I cannot say for every pinblade.

1 week later
#1770 6 years ago

Thats Translite is EPIC. I'd buy that.

3 weeks later
#1793 6 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

the parts would be available via Shapeways which does it as a laser sintering process and would be solid nylon so I believe it would handle alot of impacts and at an affordable price. I am happy to pay for postage to me for one and also back to you so no expense to you at all as I like helping the community with the hard to get items. I have a set of nylon laser sintered swappable flipper bats in a machine with many hundreds of games and going well, and the Goldeneye Satellite dish available and no complaints of weakness along with others.
https://www.shapeways.com/product/DY42C9EQF/goldeneye-pinball-satellite-dish-modded?optionId=19214667&li=marketplace
https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?q=swinks&sort=newest&s=156#more-products
https://www.shapeways.com/product/X9SK45SSM/bally-pinball-rollover-button-c-587-6-ss-em?optionId=43385429&li=marketplace

If no one else has one for you swinks, i'll send on to you. I'm almost positive i kept my old ones.

4 weeks later
#1824 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Has anyone installed the Brite Caps on their Dr. Who? If so, was wondering what you did with the bumper that is covered with a plastic piece. Thanks.

I did on mine. Love it! I used a hot glue gun to affix them to the bottom of the cap for a clean install.

#1839 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Thanks, did you only install two?

I did all 3...

2 weeks later
#1900 5 years ago
Quoted from hailrazer:

What do you do when you can't find a Dr. Who dome topper. Well fabricate your own of course.
First I bought a basketball display case:
ebay.com link » Basketball Unsigned Display Case With Black Base
Then I cut it down 4" shorter.
Then I made some stickers that closely resemble the factory stickers. I didn't have photo sticker paper so I just used some regular sticker paper temporarily until I can get the non see-through glossy sticker paper tomorrow.
Then I put it on my backbox
The last pic is of the factory topper for comparison.

Thats epic! I would only add buy the hologram sticker sheet and attach it to the back - DEFINITELY looks better than factory!

1 year later
#3579 4 years ago

Can someone with a DW accessible measure the precise size of the translight GLASS cover (not the translite itself?) Mine's packed right now,and need the exact size.

Thanks!

4 months later
#4282 3 years ago

Not sure everyone saw, but CPR is looking for a good quality original mini playfield to borrow if anyone has one.

#4287 3 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

I've got mine parted out right now - what's their offer? clnilsen

They just borrow it to copy. I've sent in NOS stuff before, and they get it back pretty quickly. Usually they send you one of whatever they made free. Reach out to them.

https://www.facebook.com/Classic-Playfield-Reproductions-110079519323049/

1 year later
#5300 2 years ago
Quoted from Tophervette:

Finally. They told me last year it was going to be available. I went with an NOS playfield when they did not make it on my timetable. It is getting the Ron Kruzman treatment right now.

I’ve literally been waiting years for this myself. I’m actually just wrapping up a CPR Bally Playboy playfield and I have to say I’m very impressed!

3 weeks later
#5355 2 years ago

So which one of you did this????

Screen Shot 2022-03-04 at 4.06.59 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-03-04 at 4.06.59 PM (resized).png
1 week later
#5380 2 years ago

For those who have done playfield swaps, where have you gotten replacement ramps?

#5385 2 years ago
Quoted from nelfichu:

That's my commission! Emailed with Andrew back and forth for a year while he worked on it. I'm super excited to have art done by one of the bona fide Target novelization artists. Also excited to replace the subpar original backglass with something more in line with the original art from the prototype DW pin. I'm working with someone now to get the art printed for my table.

That’s awesome!

1 month later
#5511 1 year ago

I was today years old when I found out this existed. If it was in the US I’d be all over it for next to my pin

6A9A2663-0E42-4165-A09A-6742A85EB977 (resized).jpeg6A9A2663-0E42-4165-A09A-6742A85EB977 (resized).jpeg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

£ 110.00
$ 85.00
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Johnson City, TN
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider clnilsen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-owners-clubtime-lords-welcome?tu=clnilsen and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.