(Topic ID: 76377)

Doctor Who Owners Club.....Time Lords Welcome!

By HoakyPoaky

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8F059034-AED6-4CD0-A63B-68703F33C57E (resized).png
2BB87EE1-5698-430F-9904-4F97683F83C2 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
DSCF2747 (resized).JPG
IMG_0498 (resized).JPG
Tardis99 (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2024-01-28 at 1.31.59 pm (resized).png
il_1140xN.2008045654_bplp (resized).jpg
IMG_7156 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7155 (resized).jpeg
421735202_7550654594958757_8318301814228353514_n (resized).jpg
421727425_7550654341625449_209651123817121918_n (resized).jpg
421731484_7550654938292056_4147915032710083979_n (resized).jpg
421723578_7550654091625474_5367988788185483827_n (resized).jpg
20240117_191816 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #194 Link to @pinball_faz 's Time Expander/Mini Playfield Guide Posted by pinball_faz (9 years ago)

Post #491 Link for 3-D Printed Dalek Playfield Posts. Posted by Pinballfantexas (9 years ago)

Post #696 Link to Alternative Whomobile Pinside Thread. Posted by swinks (8 years ago)

Post #1428 ColorDMD install with pics plus other cool things. Posted by ArcadeTechNerd (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jean-Luc-Picard.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#779 8 years ago
Quoted from Fairground:

Don't know if this has been posted before

I loved that! He's sooo good!

Not sure if this was already posted:

3 weeks later
#787 8 years ago

Question: So tonight I noticed "sometimes" hitting my left flipper scores 1,000 points each flip. I dont think it can be vibration triggering a bad switch. Anyone know what switch is 5,000 points? I do have an opto error, but the opto works so I ignored it.

update: Not just the "somtimes" left flipper. But also idle, it will start scoring 5k points.
Only switch that comes to mind are the lanes that score 5k?

#789 8 years ago

Will run a switch test tomorrow. Should have done that before I posted. Oops.

3 weeks later
#841 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballshark:

Here's an updated Youtube link for my Pinsound mixes. I also just finished a new one. Doctor Who Meets Metal.
Doctorin' the Tardis

Sounds awesome! Did you change many sound FX and voices or mainly the theme music?

#854 8 years ago
Quoted from twinmice:

Im in!! Got this yesterday.

Welcome now order that color DMD!!!

#871 8 years ago
Quoted from travisbmartin:

I've been thinking of putting a ColorDMD in mine as well. Does the kit work well with a Flipper Fidelity speaker kit? I'm worried about space issues.

I have them in my TNG + color DMD and everything fits fine.

#883 8 years ago
Quoted from MacJedi:

Hey guys! I joined the club today! Very excited! Thanks for a great thread, it's very inspiring. I love seeing everything you guys have done with your Doctor Whos. Unfortunately, it looks like ColorDMD is out of stock. Also thinking about a Pinsound board.

Very nice! where did you find one in the bay area. Doesn't look like the one on CL. Your cabinet looks very clean.

#884 8 years ago

Doctor Who is up right now PAPATV "It Never Drains in Southern California" http://www.twitch.tv/papatvpinball/

#886 8 years ago
Quoted from MacJedi:

Thanks! Yes, it was the one on Craigslist. The cabinet is very clean and not faded. Only a few minor cosmetic scratches here and there, some wear on a few places on the playfield, and some chipping near the mini-playfield. Any advice on how to repair the chipping? It doesn't seem to affect play.

Nice, glad it went to a good home. The Cabinet is really nice. Did you negotiate the price since it is missing the topper? BTW, a cliffy will cover up them dings by the Time Expander. This one seems like a dif one from CL, the one on CL had a coin door lock bar.

#888 8 years ago
Quoted from MacJedi:

The first thing I did was take off the lock bar. This is the one from Craigslist. He was firm on his price. Thanks for the Cliffy recommendation, I didn't realize they had one for Doctor Who. Cheers!

Yeah, the set for DW is a bit pricey but it is needed. I have a clear coated PF and it now has a chip right by the time expander. If it only had the cliffy....

1 week later
#924 8 years ago

MY DW is on the fritz. Starting to regret owning so many pins... Some day I may just sell it all and give up on this hobby. Just got done trouble shooting JM so pissed off to now start another. Borderline 16 pins for sale on pinside and will never come back.

#931 8 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

What is the issue?

Issue was, I was really drunk. Came home from our company holiday party and kept drinking. Then got to DW and it would play and restart. this morning, very hung over. I just ran a test on the opto's on the mini PF and the game runs fine now... I can never sell my collection I will always be a slave to pinball.

#933 8 years ago
Quoted from bpull:

you will learn more, and things will get faster and better for you.
Brian

Totally learning more and more. I have had to work on all 16 of my pins. From board work, to replacing magnets, optos, coils, flippers, diodes, chips, monitors, displays, assemblies.... really the list goes on and on. however, apparently when I am extremely drunk I don't have time to tinker and I just want to play lol.

#935 8 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

Basic Math:
Bad Idea = Liquor + sharp pointy tools + electricity
Seems like a good thing to avoid.
faz

lol, I have been electrocuted a lot over the years. To be honest, really hard for a pin to really critically hurt you. However, touching the back of a CRT in my baby pac by accident while it is running... Still REALLY hurts

#936 8 years ago

Well, that all said. now that I am sober. The issue is back. Cycling over the optos did not flush a switch matrix issue out.
However, I narrowed down the problem. If I hit the left flipper. The game locks up for a sec.. reboots. After I eat something and feel less hung over I will look into the left flipper. Maybe the Fliptronics board is messing up or something wrong with the upper left coil.

#938 8 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

This is an inaccurate statement.
Extremely inaccurate.
More accidents just from that idea.
For example, I watched a primary capacitor on a power circuit board at a show blow up in person's face because he opted not to shut down the game and "thought it was safe".
He shorted the game and was permanently blinded in one eye, and burned all over his face.
This is just one example.
With Doctor Who directly, technicians have had their fingers crushed on the mini playfield. The warning and interlock was ADDED later.
Ground shorts can kill, along with bad transformers or CRT discharges.

I dug into an underground power line with a metal shovel once. I should have died, but I am still kicking. lol with DW, I do agree with the possibility of losing your fingers. But for the most part "under the PF" It should be hard to die from electrocution. Messing with the boards or power supply while the machine is on, well... Then I can see some burnt flesh. However, I think over 4 amps your heart can stop... then you die. Pretty sure my heart stopped when I touched part of that CRT once.

That all said... Remember to turn the machine off And, left flipper is rebooting my DW...

#939 8 years ago

update: In switch test. The top right block is flickering. The second I touch the flippers. However, it seems to be intermediate. After a few fails it stops rebooting via flipper and game plays fine. But, over time.. Left flipper will reboot the game at some point.

#941 8 years ago

thanks... and lol at the first post to your thread

Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:Will try this as soon as I sober up.

#942 8 years ago

Top right block in switch test is cleared. no more flickering. However, I have a F6 U.R. Flipper but error. However, DW doesn't have an upper right flipper. I removed the flipptronics board. It had 2 hacks. I replaced it with a rotten dog 1&2 flip board. Still reboots when flippers are hit.

So, I am guessing... Diode is bad on one of the flippers coils?

#944 8 years ago

update: both flipper buttons reboot the game. highly doubt it is a diode now since both sides are triggering the reboot..

#946 8 years ago

VERY good read, the voltage or continuity may in fact be the problem. Turns out my DW has multiple repaired connectors. some appear to be poorly made. I reseated them all, tried to adjust them all and so far. No reboot. Will keep testing till it comes back.

#947 8 years ago

LOL, that lasted 30 seconds... It is back to resetting via any flipper button. I will continue to read

#949 8 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Read and test, and keep notes. I ended up having to re-pin j101 and j102 (male and female) to fix my issue. It is a very systematic approach and should solve any issues you have. As you mentioned reseating connectors and the error stopped for a short time, that would be a good place to start!

Re-seated every single connector this time, and so far it has not rebooted. So, you are correct it could just be continuity issue. However, my hang over is really starting to throb so I am done for now.

#951 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballshark:

I've finished Doctor Who Disco for Pinsound. Check it out. Also got Doctorin' the Tardis v1.1 out on the Pinsound site.

Is it just me? The first thing that pops in my mind is the dico scene "spoof" from airplane. (need gif enabled in pinside settings to see)

airplane-disco-dancing-o_(resized).pngairplane-disco-dancing-o_(resized).png

#952 8 years ago

NM, looks like that option was also removed... No gifs allowed at all anymore.

10 months later
#1180 7 years ago

I just painted my door Doctor Who Blue Wife and I really love it. However it is only temporary, new door, molding etc. all getting replaced next year. Next up is converting my full size beer fridge into a Tardis.

20161207_223333 (resized).jpg20161207_223333 (resized).jpg

4 weeks later
#1190 7 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

HOly crap, I am totally stealing this idea next year!!!

The Fridge into a Tardis or the front door? Either way, I used an enamel from Home Depot. Stuff is pretty strong.

d2 (resized).jpgd2 (resized).jpg

#1200 7 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

How many cans did it take to do your door?

Note these cans are slightly larger than your standard can. I chose an Enamel so it would bond well and not chip.

1 can to lightly dust both front and back. This helps the layers bond to the door better.

2 cans evenly spread on each side till the can runs out and the door is fully covered but looks uneven.

2 cans after everything is dry to finish with the last coat. This one I sprayed till it looked wet and even.

Total: 5 cans

Note: The paint that I used dried in less than 10 mins with each layer and these enamels are very hazardous to inhale so use a respirator.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Led
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
£ 110.00
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jean-Luc-Picard.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-owners-clubtime-lords-welcome?tu=Jean-Luc-Picard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.