(Topic ID: 76377)

Doctor Who Owners Club.....Time Lords Welcome!

By HoakyPoaky

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,575 posts
  • 445 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by pinballtoys
  • Topic is favorited by 197 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Dalek7 (resized).JPG
Dalek33 (resized).JPG
Dalek32 (resized).JPG
TheDoctorWhoMiniPlayfieldv1.2.pdf (PDF preview)
Motor 3 (resized).JPG
Wires1 (resized).JPG
Rebuild18 (resized).JPG
GIBuzzBrown (resized).jpg
Back Board lights2 (resized).jpg
20240407_212554 (resized).jpg
DSCF2875 (resized).JPG
DSCF2874 (resized).JPG
Bally_1992_Doctor_Who_Mini_Playfield_Opto_Bank_Paper_Cover_Template.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #194 Link to @pinball_faz 's Time Expander/Mini Playfield Guide Posted by pinball_faz (9 years ago)

Post #491 Link for 3-D Printed Dalek Playfield Posts. Posted by Pinballfantexas (9 years ago)

Post #696 Link to Alternative Whomobile Pinside Thread. Posted by swinks (8 years ago)

Post #1428 ColorDMD install with pics plus other cool things. Posted by ArcadeTechNerd (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jasonba.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4793 2 years ago

Decided to play my Dr Who today after not playing it for a little while, was going for loops and video mode and then decided to go for multiball so I locked the two balls and then the mini playfield did not rise. Went straight to test mode and I have No CW or CCW movement. Tried the motor itself with a 9volt battery and it worked so I know the motor is good. Unplugged and re-connected all of the connectors going to the mini playfield and the motor driver board. Upon further testing when I now lock a ball it gets kicked back out immediately, this happens on both locks (They are lit so should hold the balls). I get the lock animation on the screen and the correct callouts. The machine thinks the playfield has risen and I can hit the centre target to reduce the time factor until it gets to zero, if I then put a ball in the lock it will start multiball.

Any suggestions on what I should check next?

#4795 2 years ago
Quoted from Tophervette:

I am no expert, but I have had several problems with my MPF not rising. So it sounds like your motor and gears are not the problem. That leads me to believe that either there is no power going to the motor through the wires from the motor or power board. Or the opto just below the motor is not working. One problem I had was that the switch in the upper left corner of the playfield that detects the glass is installed went bad on me. Once I replaced it, Everything worked. Another time, the plug to the motor of the MPF was not making a connection so that caused a NO CC/CCW error. I have read here, that if the set screw to the wheel attached to the motor gets loose and the wheel is not aligned with the opto, that it will also cause an error. It would help for you to go into test mode and report exactly what the errors are showing.

Thanks for the tips Tophervette
I will get back to it in the next couple of days, take some pics and report back. It was working fine last time I played it which was only a few weeks ago. It's been turned on a few times but not played.

I'm wondering if the opto board is faulty as there is the issue with the kickouts not working correctly as well.

#4798 2 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

What is the history of the MPU? Original? Repaired? Replaced? Connectors all repinned?
What issues with the kickouts? Random firing on startup? Does the Tardis VUK also fire? If so, may want to dig into some old posts in this thread.

The Mpu is original. It was sent for repair a couple of years ago as I had a switch column not working and at that time the header pins were all checked and re flowed as necessary. Cable side has not been done though.

The kickout issue is that the balls are not staying in the locks, they are immediately kicked back out even though the locks are lit, This is leaning me towards an opto problem.

I might not get back to looking at it until the weekend, I will do a few more checks before I start buying parts. I will report back anything I find. Thanks for the advice so far.

#4812 2 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Place the game into test mode, then place a ball into the kickout and see if the optos register in test mode. If they register, you need to work the problem upstream. I would start looking for a broken wire, worn female/male pins at the associated connector.

Checked the two kickouts by placing a ball in each and they seem to be working as they should in test mode.

Can anyone tell me if there is a fuse in the circuit for the motor?

#4815 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

There is no separate fuse for the motor but the wires and connector are often worn and broken.
And the motors can fail
Its best to remove the unit and check it out on the workbench.
Rebuilding the time expander is a job in itself.

I rebuilt the time expander a few months ago and everything was working fine until a few days ago. The motor is ok as I could run that with a battery. I'll start going through the wiring.

Thanks for the help so far

#4817 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I always just pull it out for maintenance.
Its so much easier to work on out of the game.
Plus i can look at the wires and connectors easily and trace them to the circuit boards.
Like most owners who have had the game for awhile, pulling out the tome expander is a 10 min job.
Ive pulled it out at least 50 times lol.
Finally i built a brand new one ($500 worth of parts) during restoration, replaced all the connectors and wires with new silicone wire, added cliffys and LEDs.
Its rock solid!
The 10 opto board was replaced with a homepin one and it works really well.

Checked a couple of things today,

I have 17.6V at J1-5 and 15.7V at J2-4 of the bi directional motor drive board. The 15.7V is also present at the Red wire on the motor. I checked continuity of the Red & Black wires from the motor drive board to the motor and that was fine. Voltages were tested in attract Mode.

Not sure what the next step would be, Any suggestions?

#4822 2 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

This really feels like a cold solder joint or a broken wire. Rather than exchanging a ton of messages on Pinside (hours/days apart), I'm game to do a Zoom call to talk through your issues. Might get us quicker to the solution. You're in southern Australia ... right? we can make that work with timezones
PM if you want to connect.
faz

PM Sent, Will talk soon

#4837 2 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

Jason and I got together yesterday (Awesome conversation btw).
Nothing too simple here. We did a lot of good diagnosti-cating (new word) and it really points to a bi-directional board that's been way abused by a prior owner. Power into the board is solid. Power out is intermittent and really does not make sense. The "intermittent" part suggests there's a cold solder joint in the circuit. One of the pads is completely gone and there's so many bad solder joints on this tiny board that it will be very frustrating to get this going again without replacing all the components as I honestly don't trust any of them. There's some serious scorching on the back too which suggests someone soldered with a blow torch or the board had a major short at one point that took out a component (L1/L2). Another weirdness is power exiting the board at +/- 1v when on. A new board should get the DR time traveling again.
Really enjoyed meeting and good luck getting that replacement board.
faz

I am so thankful for your time helping with this issue. It was an absolute pleasure to meet you and chat over zoom. I have ordered the new board and it should be here in a couple of days. I will post a couple of photos when I get some time in the next couple of days so everyone else can see what we discovered.

Jason

#4841 2 years ago
Quoted from Tophervette:

1. I ran the full switch test and paid particular attention to those switches in the same row. For example all the other OPTOs in the vertical column of the matrix, then all the parts in the row of the matrix. The only one out was SW71 right most OPTO. Confirmed it by playing a game and touching the mushrooms with a pencil eraser when the MPF was in the second level configuration. Again, only right most mushroom did not work.
2. Have not added any lights.
3. The Opto Carrier is the better Swinks one. The boards are original Bally/Williams.
4. The Swinks Opto Carrier and boards are wrapped in black construction paper and black electrician tape.
5. The credit dot problem sometimes goes away in the middle of the game if the MPF is raised. But comes back later.
I will try the camera trick next once I get the MPF out. As a precaution, I have ordered a set of OPTO boards from Marcos. Do not who made them, yet, if they are even marked.
I am guessing a cold solder joint on the right most Opto or reciever or loose wire, due to the intermittent nature.
I have a spare wired up set of Opto boards from the extra MPF I bought before owning the game. I will try the camera trick with that board as well. Good to have spares.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I had the same problem with mine before I rebuilt the Time Expander. When in Mini Playfield tests My Non Working one was showing as always on which hints to the LED Opto Emitter not working. The camera trick was the easiest way to see what was happening, My LED was actually chipped causing it to not work. I fitted new boards and all was good.

I will post some pics of the rebuild soon.

#4842 2 years ago
Quoted from ignat:

My MPF on Doctor Who #1 was having all kind of weird issues - odds on if nothing else makes sense its that board.

Hoping this is all it is, New board is on its way. Should be here in a couple of days.

3 weeks later
#4860 2 years ago

Hi guys,

I finally got around to fixing the problem with my motor not working. After fitting the new Bi Directional motor board it still wasn't working. After further checking I discovered that the connector for the motor wasn't making good contact, the female pins had opened up a bit inside the housing. Glad to have it all working again. pics attached of the old board.

Thanks to everyone, especially pinball_faz for the assistance with this issue.

IMG_1326 (resized).JPGIMG_1326 (resized).JPGIMG_1327 (resized).JPGIMG_1327 (resized).JPG
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 40.00
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

£ 110.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jasonba.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-owners-clubtime-lords-welcome?tu=Jasonba and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.