(Topic ID: 76377)

Doctor Who Owners Club.....Time Lords Welcome!

By HoakyPoaky

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,575 posts
  • 445 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 days ago by pinballtoys
  • Topic is favorited by 197 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Dalek7 (resized).JPG
Dalek33 (resized).JPG
Dalek32 (resized).JPG
TheDoctorWhoMiniPlayfieldv1.2.pdf (PDF preview)
Motor 3 (resized).JPG
Wires1 (resized).JPG
Rebuild18 (resized).JPG
GIBuzzBrown (resized).jpg
Back Board lights2 (resized).jpg
20240407_212554 (resized).jpg
DSCF2875 (resized).JPG
DSCF2874 (resized).JPG
Bally_1992_Doctor_Who_Mini_Playfield_Opto_Bank_Paper_Cover_Template.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #194 Link to @pinball_faz 's Time Expander/Mini Playfield Guide Posted by pinball_faz (9 years ago)

Post #491 Link for 3-D Printed Dalek Playfield Posts. Posted by Pinballfantexas (9 years ago)

Post #696 Link to Alternative Whomobile Pinside Thread. Posted by swinks (8 years ago)

Post #1428 ColorDMD install with pics plus other cool things. Posted by ArcadeTechNerd (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider EvanDickson.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#456 9 years ago

I'm in.

And this should be the last of the pinballs for a while. I now need a tardis to fit them in my dining room.

#464 9 years ago
Quoted from Dano:

Hi all, I'm new to the forums and have been lurking for the last week or so but DW is my first (so far only) pinball and I do love it. I've been a fan since I was wee lad and Tom Baker has always been my fav. I've read through the tread and I had no idea there were so many mods for the old girl and I may have to start saving my pennies. I don't have any experience with fixing modding a pin but I'm willing to give most things a shot. Going to have to replace a weak flipper on it so nothing better than trial by fire right? I do love the different back graphics and would replace mine but I've had two of the doctors sign mine and going to go for another signature this summer.

For the weak flipper, you may not have to replace anything. I've had weak flippers resolved by just bending the switch leaf ever so gently to adjust the stroke slightly.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=general#Weak_Flippers_-_What_to_check

Enjoy the new pin!

2 weeks later
#484 9 years ago

Damn this game is hard. I finally have mine at 100% working, and I've been playing it for a couple days. The best score I got was ~100 mil... until just now. I finally had a game where I got the playfield scoring up to 2.5x in time for the jackpots, and cleared the video mode. Suddenly I'm in 800 mil territory. Scores like that will def be few and far between though, you really have to nail your shots consistently and in great number to build up the score. But good enough, it's like that 1 sweet shot you have in golf, after hacking around the entire course. And that one shot will bring you back again and again.

I feel like this pin is going to get a little more love than the others this weekend.

4 months later
#644 8 years ago

What's your strategy for scoring big? So far I choose doctor 6 to make it easier to multiply the scoring, then I try to raise the mini pf and go dalek hunting. A typical game for me is 4 mil to 40 mil, so I don't think it's working. What do you folks do?

3 months later
5 months later
#1018 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballshark:

Here's an updated Youtube link for my Pinsound mixes. I also just finished a new one. Doctor Who Meets Metal.
Doctorin' the Tardis
» YouTube video
Doctor Who Meets Metal
» YouTube video

MUST HAVE!!!

1 week later
#1019 8 years ago

Has anyone installed LEDOCD in their DW?

#1023 8 years ago

I thought about it since I just installed nothing but LEDs in mine. The only thing that bothered me was the attract mode. I found an option to turn off Fancy attract mode and now the GI just stays on all the time. Also, I patched my rom with a patcher tool that eliminates any ghosting. So I think I'm good. I do have an LEDOCD in my Sorcerer and think it's great in that game.

I have trouble finding any useful information online about no-ghost patching, and they don't seem to sell ROMS with the patch for whatever reason.

1 month later
#1076 7 years ago

Here's an updated Youtube link for my Pinsound mixes. I also just finished a new one. Doctor Who Meets Metal.
Doctorin' the Tardis
» YouTube video
Doctor Who Meets Metal
» YouTube video

Thanks for making these! I just doctored the TARDIS for a new PB of 1.35 billion. I was even dancing when I drained, instead of yelling m$%%$@#r at the machine.

20160513_175809_(resized).jpg20160513_175809_(resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#1088 7 years ago

Agree with Faz. That sounds like it will be an ongoing tech process, better to start a unique thread. Start by describing which connector that was plugged in wrong, how it was plugged in, and what other symptoms there are (does it still boot? How far does it get in the CPU diagnostics? Etc?)

3 weeks later
#1100 7 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

"Time Expander set to Factor 15."
Whohoohoo...Whohoohoo...whohoo, who...hoo, da hoo, dada hoo...
Cheaper than a real TARDIS, but you cannot pour your coffee into it.

I have one of those on my desk beside me right now

Yesterday I was leaving the parking lot at a building supply store, and someone pulled in beside me with the license plate "BADWOLF". He was pretty happy I recognized it as a Dr Who reference.

4 months later
#1144 7 years ago
Quoted from awarner:

Congrats on getting one, but ICK on the LEDs and the lame Dalek kit. Sorry, it's personal to me on two levels.

There's definitely 2 camps out there on LED, but why is it lame to upgrade the Dalek to the original intended design?

1 month later
#1187 7 years ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

I just painted my door Doctor Who Blue Wife and I really love it. However it is only temporary, new door, molding etc. all getting replaced next year. Next up is converting my full size beer fridge into a Tardis.

HOly crap, I am totally stealing this idea next year!!!

#1188 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I finally found my Doctor Who last week and brought it home. It's been on the wish list for quite a while, so I'm really happy to have one. I ordered a few things to get it looking pretty and it's already playing 100%.
I have never seen a Doctor Who with the mini playfield protector and the edge protector for the main playfield. Are those thin enough to use together? I'm going to outright replace the mini playfield, so I want to protect things, but I've never seen them in person.
The wife and kids are already happy with the game. I always love when I pick something up and they take to it quickly.

I just finished replacing my mini pf. Protectors will fit, but be warned it is not a "drop in replacement" as listed on Marco's website. You'll have to do a lot of work to make it happen. I'm sure there may be variance from one repro to the next, but my experience is:
- Repro Mini PF dimensions were a few mm off of the original (3mm ~ 1/8 inch)
- Location of tee nuts were off by a few mm from the original.
- The above two points meant I had to file (for a loooong time) the holes in the mounting bracket to be oblong, so I could slide the mounting bracket back by about 1/4".
- The through holes for the posts on either side of the target were not to size and had to be drilled out.
- The #6 tee nuts under the front edge of the PF were missing entirely. I was able to remove the ones from the old PF without damage by threading screws in from the top and tapping with a hammer.
- There is no dimpling for screw holes on top or bottom, to predrill for screws you might want to use long 8-32 screws to fix old mini pf above new mini pf and use it as a template. Make sure you don't drill deeper than you need / want.

#1191 7 years ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

The Fridge into a Tardis or the front door? Either way, I used an enamel from Home Depot. Stuff is pretty strong.

The front door one. Mine has been in desperate need of painting for some time anyways, may as well make it a TARDIS.

#1201 7 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Just got my doctor who playfield back from kruzman. It looks amazing! It was a NOS that never got a diamond plate coat applied.

Where the heck did you find a NOS PF???

2 months later
#1324 7 years ago

I created the Doctorin' the Tardis, Metal, Disco and Modern Pinsound mixes. ...

Ooh! I think you've updated the Modern since I got my hands on it (maybe a year ago?). Sounds great! I keep Doctorin the Tardis on like 95% of the time.

1 year later
#1924 5 years ago
Quoted from acmeman:

I have a problem with my "O" ramp. It is loose and seems unsecured. I was looking at it and it seems there is a hole without a screw in it. Do you think that could be the problem and how would I get the screw? I included a picture but I'm not sure you can see so good what I'm talking about.

If you mean just off the white ship's left side, there is no screw in mine either. If your ramp is loose, I'd check for stripped holes around screws and posts.

#1925 5 years ago
Quoted from vbobrusev:

Restoring my plastics for dr who. Made repro slingshots. If somebody need it, I have extra pairs. I also will make other plastics for this pinball. If somebody need other parts. Let me know

That's a really good copy! I had to make a bulk purchase of slings for like 15 games just to get my hands on NOS for my Doctor Who. What I had before were really poorly made home made ones.

4 years later
#5855 1 year ago
Quoted from Tophervette:

Lets see. Which MPF would you use in your new build?
[quoted image]

Lower left, for sure. With one of the protectors from the top row. What the heck happened to the bottom right?

2 months later
#5895 1 year ago

Something I've never figured out in all the years I've owned this game. Sometimes during multiball, all my doctors will get lit up. I never notice it happen. If I remember to watch for it, none ever light up, but sometimes I'll drain out and look up to see all 7 doctors are lit, but they go back to unlit with the next ball. What's lighting them up? Is it something to do with Davros?

#5900 1 year ago
Quoted from ABE_FLIPS:

Anyone found out why the side ramp can be such a hard shot on some games? I remember playing on a location and it was VERY easy to hit that shot.
However, on my machine its very hard to hit it.
I tested different side to side levelings and steepness. What i found out is that feed on the upper flipper isn't always perfect.
Meaning that the ball doesn't hug the left ballguide perfectly before it comes down to the flipper, but nothing too extreme.
Flipperpower adjustment looks ok. I thought that the PF might be a littlebit warped on the left so it causes a bad feed.
Anyone has an idea?

If it's a matter of power, I'd say rebuild the flipper. Replace bushing, coil sleeve, maybe flipper bat (cracks in bats sap shot strength), and make sure the flipper shaft has 1/16-1/8" of vertical play.

If it's a matter of shot angle, my flipper almost but not quite rests on the metal guard behind it.

No problems spamming that ramp all day here.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

£ 110.00
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider EvanDickson.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-owners-clubtime-lords-welcome?tu=EvanDickson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.