(Topic ID: 76377)

Doctor Who Owners Club.....Time Lords Welcome!

By HoakyPoaky

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,575 posts
  • 445 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 27 hours ago by pinballtoys
  • Topic is favorited by 197 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Dalek7 (resized).JPG
Dalek33 (resized).JPG
Dalek32 (resized).JPG
TheDoctorWhoMiniPlayfieldv1.2.pdf (PDF preview)
Motor 3 (resized).JPG
Wires1 (resized).JPG
Rebuild18 (resized).JPG
GIBuzzBrown (resized).jpg
Back Board lights2 (resized).jpg
20240407_212554 (resized).jpg
DSCF2875 (resized).JPG
DSCF2874 (resized).JPG
Bally_1992_Doctor_Who_Mini_Playfield_Opto_Bank_Paper_Cover_Template.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #194 Link to @pinball_faz 's Time Expander/Mini Playfield Guide Posted by pinball_faz (9 years ago)

Post #491 Link for 3-D Printed Dalek Playfield Posts. Posted by Pinballfantexas (9 years ago)

Post #696 Link to Alternative Whomobile Pinside Thread. Posted by swinks (8 years ago)

Post #1428 ColorDMD install with pics plus other cool things. Posted by ArcadeTechNerd (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Coyote.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1579 6 years ago

Hey guys -
I'm not a Time Lord (sorry..) But I did spend this weekend tearing apart and rebuilding an acquaintance's Doctor Who, and I noticed something I wanted to get info on..

The area under the ramp entrances, behind the Tardis, there are some unused dimples, and artwork in the plastics that show that something was changed around that area. Maybe different ramp configuration?

Some pics -
BQ3Gepk (resized).jpgBQ3Gepk (resized).jpg
There's a unused dimple right next to the lamp hole, and another one in the semi-circle that's actually cut from the plastic. The semi-circle missing indicates a post or standoff would have been planned to go there.
JNNXIUq (resized).jpgJNNXIUq (resized).jpg
Another show of the unused dimple and plastic form, and artwork on the smaller plastic shows the area where a cutout *would be*, and while it's not visible, there IS a dimple under that filled-in semi-circle there.
Lc0NMQN (resized).jpgLc0NMQN (resized).jpg
Unused ramp-entrance dimples, likely for the usual wood screws to hold down the ramp's entrance.

Was wondering if anyone knew the story (or part of the story) behind these?

2 years later
#3474 4 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

No, it is not my game and the owner did not want to against my strong advice to clear it. So, I will just put it back together well cleaned and waxed.

Holy hell.

#3477 4 years ago

I mean, I completely agree. It's protect it ow, or end up requiring the purchase of a repro (if they're even available) in the future..!

1 month later
#3586 4 years ago

Not all recievers are clear, some are clouded/grey. It just depends on the manufacturer of the LED/Phototransistor.

#3589 4 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

I get that, but these are clear like the transmitters

*nods* Some phototransistors ARE clear, that's what I'm saying. You can't judge them based on the color.
In fact, if you look at them, you can SEE the blue board is a transistor and not an LED, with the different black-colored base inside.

#3602 4 years ago
Quoted from Jakers:

Both flash lamps that aren’t working are socketed, not on boards. Both have continuity to the sockets from the driver board.

Do they light up when you shirt the transistor?

If yes, likely transistor (or predriver transistor) is bad.
If no, then they're not connected to the 20v feed.

#3613 4 years ago
Quoted from Jakers:

Anyone have insight on this? I have a new TIP102 transistor coming this weekend and if the predriver transistor is a 2N5401, then I already have a couple of those from a previous display repair.

See here:
https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC&mobileaction=toggle_view_desktop
Under Coil Power is Not Finding a Path to Ground, item #2.

#3617 4 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Shorting is not the most accurate way to prove a bad transistor. Beat way is to test it with the meter

True, but I didn't have to help at all.

2 months later
#4161 3 years ago
Quoted from Xantari:

I finally got one of my shipments from Ministry of Pinball (unfortunately it appears that my first order is lost in the postal system as I put that one in 1 month ago for the time expander decals and ended up getting my later order just today).
Guess I am going to have to break down and get a better printer and print my own time expander decal, which thankfully I can do now that I have good images of the decal.
Here is a comparison of the dalek plastics now.[quoted image]

Keep in mind that there were multiple makers of plastics, and there are cases where some of them did NOT print the plastic number on them.

2 months later
#4255 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

its truly plug and play

Absolutely EVERYTHING you have said prior to this statement has proved otherwise.

1 year later
#4858 2 years ago
Quoted from Tophervette:

First, I direct your attention to the Doctor Who manual page 3-20 Power Driver Board, Connector J104 is printed as supplying 50VAC to the Fliptronics board at connector J901. However on page 3-26 Fliptronis II Board, Connector J901 states it is getting 50VAC from J105 on the Power Driver Board. Now my game plays with J104 connected and my connector is labeled J104. I measured the voltage on both J104 and J105 pins 1 and 3. They all read 70 volts. The 4 fuses on the Flip board also read 70 volts. I know there are errors in the manual. So which plug is your game on?

If you look at the WPC schematics, you will see that J104 and J105 are wired exactly the same, so it does not matter. And that 70v is 70v under no load, and is a normal reading.

Quoted from Tophervette:

Second, I have a Power Driver Board from 2005 from PINLED in Germany. While it plays the game successfully, I have noticed that several of the lights in the playfield flicker on and off during the game. The W-H-O score dots, The ESCAPE triangles, and the multiplier diamonds. I read that the PINLED board suffered from ghosting. Has anyone else experienced this or have this board installed?

If you are using LEDs, then yes. PinLED boards are (were?) excellent, but they do introduce a lot more ghosting. Simply use non-ghosing LEDs, or, get an LEDOCD board.

Quoted from Tophervette:

Third, I bought a Pinball basement Power Driver Board in hopes that the ghosting goes away, as it is advertised to be a direct copy of the Bally/Williams Board.

Ghosting can and does exist on normal OEM boards too.

4 weeks later
#4924 2 years ago

It looks like you're missing the back board..

3 weeks later
#4967 2 years ago
Quoted from Tophervette:

Claimed their board was a glorified expensive MP player.

Technically incorrect -
Apparently it only plays WAV files?

1 week later
#4997 2 years ago
Quoted from Tophervette:

I appreciate all the help and hints I get from Pinsiders. Your experiences and advice and gotten me down the road of pinball service.
Here is an interesting story about how the Doctor Who pinball machine has a mind of its own. I know that it stores high scores and loop champion, as well as a long list of audit history. Like how many games it has played, how much money it has made, how many free games it gave away, etc. Still learning that set of things.
#Pinballreno gave me hints on how to build a ladder, of how to get higher scores. I went into the software and manual. I set the game to Easy. I adjusted a bunch of the values. I set the WHO ramp "extra ball to 1". I set the Video mode to Easy and "Extra Ball to 1". I had replay set to 300,000. I was getting better at ramp shots, and multi-balls. I finally got a 1 billion score. Then several weeks later, my game changed itself. Video mode changed to the 1st version of wave 2 instead of 1. I have no idea what the WHO ramp changed to, but it is not set to 1 anymore, after I got several extra balls with it. Replay keeps going higher by itself and now is around 500,000. It is like the machine is learning that I am winning and making itself harder and harder.
Does any of this make sense? Has anyone else noticed their machine doing this? I guess, if I had it set on standard settings, I would not be seeing these changes....

Yes, WMS games auto-adjusted. You will see a setting "Extra Ball Percent" - and if the game consistently gives out more Extra Balls than that percentage, it will start to auto-adjust.
Same with replays (replay percentage) and the high scores.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
£ 110.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Coyote.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-owners-clubtime-lords-welcome?tu=Coyote and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.