New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 76377)

Doctor Who Owners Club.....Time Lords Welcome!

By HoakyPoaky

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4,464 posts
  • 338 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by pinballinreno
  • Topic is favorited by 154 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,129 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

miniupper (resized).png
uppernut (resized).jpg
82D52F6B-0889-420D-8DCA-1521FA78B3C7 (resized).jpeg
22C6546A-595C-4A31-A92D-84B987495689 (resized).jpeg
9F18D9CE-BFD4-482C-A633-D03F0C7EF740 (resized).jpeg
5E44A78B-2BEA-42FD-9304-126497777C30 (resized).jpeg
73513D06-FFD8-41CB-B66A-E0CE3EBE67FF (resized).jpeg
E1D10F5A-1207-4013-A299-3BFF7F89C799 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5541 (resized).jpg
IMG_6138 (resized).jpg
IMG_6118 (resized).jpg
IMG_6135 (resized).jpg
18548EC0-4850-42CA-B477-07271C92AA16 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200829_105057 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200829_105033 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200829_105025 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #194 Link to @pinball_faz 's Time Expander/Mini Playfield Guide Posted by pinball_faz (6 years ago)

Post #491 Link for 3-D Printed Dalek Playfield Posts. Posted by Pinballfantexas (5 years ago)

Post #696 Link to Alternative Whomobile Pinside Thread. Posted by swinks (5 years ago)

Post #1428 ColorDMD install with pics plus other cool things. Posted by ArcadeTechNerd (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BENETNATH.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1108 4 years ago

Hi, newcomer here. I've got my fourth pin machine in the presence of Dr who.
I'm working on it to get the mini play field working. I've fixed the gearbox but I'm still facing a canting issue. The left side of the MPF does not raise as fast and smooth as the right one. Therefore, when it goes up, it gets stuck and the motor is forcing..
I've seen the addendum but did not get totally the c-clamp things. Can anyone advice me about that?

Thanks

#1112 4 years ago

I've already unmounted the play field three time.
The issue is quite hard to catch in a movie as the MPF is going smoothly when unmounted.
When I putted it back , the MPF was working flawlessly, I made one full game with no issue(I love that pinball! The gameplay rocks)
Then suddenly, when moving up, I saw that the left side was going slower, like a bit stuck. And with the motor pushing strong, that went to hard pressure and my gearbox fixing broke.
Since, I've found a way to fix it better but I'm a bit worried to have the MPF stuck again while moving and something would break definitely..

#1114 4 years ago

Thanks faz , I appreciate your involvement in this issue
My gearbox had the classical disease of Dr who, with the biggest gear no longer able to rotate the shaft.
I've drilled through the ring , the shaft and the gear, and fixed the whole thing with screws.
Now, the motor turns perfectly the shaft even with a strong resistance, it's really OK.

But the MPF is not smooth. It's catching the guide on the left. I bet that is also a common issue, as they wrote this addendum, but it don't get its substance.
What is the role of the wooden piece or the c-clamp, what do we want to achieve at the end?

Edit, if I'm correct, the idea is to get the outside guide more close to the bearings, that's the idea?

#1116 4 years ago

Thanks a lot for your reply, in fact i've spent my all night doing exactly that

My issue is indeed linked to a not perfect alignment of the vertical parts when moving up.
I made a lot of cleaning and the old grease was dry as sand, which could be a good reason why my brackets kept scratching during the moving up.
I made a lot of trials and i thought i was ok after minutes of seeing my brackets moving up and down smoothly.
But when i put it back with the mini playfield, this was not that much better..
this issue is tricky to fix..

Meanwhile, i'll also ask a colleague of mine to solder the gears to the shaft, to ensure that the gearbox is definitively rock-solid.

Holidays are coming and i won't be there to fix it before, but i hope to make it working in september..

EDIT : i'm using a 9V battery MN1604, perfect for this work

1 week later
#1117 4 years ago

Hello, 422 million is my first high score !
I finally managed to fix the time expander.
A full cleaning with acetone and a good lithium grease helped a lot.
My gearbox is safer now with a big layer of cold solder and the playfield goes perfectly well

I am happy !!

2 weeks later
#1124 4 years ago

Great, you'll enjoy!
I initially got mine to exchange quickly with a RFM.
Finally, i'm keeping my doc

4 months later
#1219 3 years ago
Quoted from Docbeaks:

I am finally part of the club! Well sort of. I was able to wiggle it into the back of my Outback but now I can't get it out!

ha ha !! keep it up, it deserves to get out

3 weeks later
#1278 3 years ago

Hi guys,

i'm a DW owner too and i fixed it , especially the gearbox which was dead.
Anyway, i have now a recent issue, which appeared when i moved the pinball machine (off), which i suspect made vibrations.

Now, i had some resets during heavy load, fixed by rescrewing the driver board better ; but few days later, my ball launcher AND eject ball coils are weak, so weak that i can't even get a ball in play, it stays in the launching lane or in the eject hole.

I suspect strongly the bridge rectifier and as i am currently placing an order for other things, do you have references of BR and other caps which are usually sensitive and worth a replacement ?

Thanks a lot

#1280 3 years ago

Thanks, good advice

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Colorado Springs, CO
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Boards
PCB Emporium
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
UpKick Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BENETNATH.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside