(Topic ID: 76377)

Doctor Who Owners Club.....Time Lords Welcome!

By HoakyPoaky

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,575 posts
  • 445 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 30 hours ago by pinballtoys
  • Topic is favorited by 197 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Dalek7 (resized).JPG
Dalek33 (resized).JPG
Dalek32 (resized).JPG
TheDoctorWhoMiniPlayfieldv1.2.pdf (PDF preview)
Motor 3 (resized).JPG
Wires1 (resized).JPG
Rebuild18 (resized).JPG
GIBuzzBrown (resized).jpg
Back Board lights2 (resized).jpg
20240407_212554 (resized).jpg
DSCF2875 (resized).JPG
DSCF2874 (resized).JPG
Bally_1992_Doctor_Who_Mini_Playfield_Opto_Bank_Paper_Cover_Template.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,575 posts in this topic. You are on page 87 of 132.
#4301 3 years ago
Quoted from Xantari:

Really do need to get a pinsound board now, Dr who with a shaker would be awesome.

Im really liking mine.
The official shakers are well done and add tons of excitement.

The 12 doctors mix is nearly finished. I started over on it to get the official shakers up and running.

Doing a volume adjustment overhaul. Lol

The original mix that you download is ok too, just needs some volume tweaks.

#4302 3 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Just follow the instructions. http://ledocd.com/usage_gi.html
The board arrives configured for WPC95 which means strings 4 and 5 of the GI are always on. Just change it as indicated in the link.
You can play with the settings to pick a look as far as how fast bulbs turn on and off. I honestly don't remember if I changed settings but I remember trying some different fade delays out. I don't think I changed anything from stock settings.
Remember to go into the pinball settings and enable GI effects and GI dimming. I don't remember what setting number just flip through them. There aren't that many like modern sterns lol.
The machine is sandwiched between 2 others and I don't have an easy access to check the settings I have on the OCD board. I do plan on bringing it in the garage to shop it out and do the cab decals in about a month at which point I can check.

Finally got my GI OCD board installed today.

Its fairly straightforward. The instructions with pictures from the website is all you need.

The default settings pre-programmed on the board are for WPC95 games.

Reading the usage sheet on the website was very informative, thanks for the link!

String 4 and 5 are defaulted to always on.

This means that the board will not control those strings.

You absolutely must enable string 4 and 5

Hit the connect button after selecting the driver that you should have installed earlier (the little Com box will drop down if you click on it and then you can select the driver), allows you to change the setting from "Always On" to string 4 and then string 5.

Once adjusted just send to the board and your done.

No other adjustments to the settings are required, the default numbers are excellent.

I went into the game adjustments and turned on GI Dimming.

then went to the tests and checked the general illumination brightness by moving from 1 to 8.

WOW! what was earlier a spazmodic flickering of unholy hell (when I first built the game a year ago), is now a nice controlled fade throughout the whole spectrum of settings.

The game now "Pulses" with power.
The GI has an amazing faded on and off instead of the harsh, eye-burning flashes it used to have.

In my opinion, I should have put in this board when I first built the game.

Its amazing, and during gameplay does incredible things with the dimming.

Im very happy with this board.

I went with 100% LED's on my game. Some people leave the #906 bulbs in as well as the #89 bulbs.
I think in those cases you are really missing out. LED's are brighter and do a better job without burning up the game from heat.

I think all Doctor Who games with LED's should have both LEDOCD and GIOCD (if you put LED's in the GI).

These boards as well as pinsound with shaker, and the 12 doctors orchestration, put Doctor Who up into the "Must have" games category.

#4303 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Finally got my GI OCD board installed today.

Yay! Glad you like it!

#4304 3 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Yay! Glad you like it!

Yep, I just noticed several dimming features that were not there before!

#4305 3 years ago

I have some ideas about adding a little Jodie Whitaker.

13 doctors mix?

Maybe coming soon...

Are there any good sources for audio clips?

#4306 3 years ago

13 doctors mix?
Maybe coming soon...

I always pulled videos from YouTube and just yanked the audio out; there’s tons of compilations and “best scenes of...” each doctor. I haven’t enjoyed the new season’s stories as much as the Davies/Moffat seasons, but I really love Jodie Whitaker as the Doctor. She has the vibe.

#4307 3 years ago

13 doctors mix?
Maybe coming soon...

I just looked at attract mode with GIOCD.

There is no comparison.

GI dimming on.

Its an awsome thing to see.

God, i love this game!

#4308 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I always pulled videos from YouTube and just yanked the audio out; there’s tons of compilations and “best scenes of...” each doctor. I haven’t enjoyed the new season’s stories as much as the Davies/Moffat seasons, but I really love Jodie Whitaker as the Doctor. She has the vibe.

Thanks, ill take a look!

#4309 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballT:

Well I tried it and it did not work. Now I have the opto out on the left kick out. Thinking I will just take the whole mini field out. Anything to look for to clean, fix or adjust?
Thanks,
Tom

Found the issue. Bad motor control board. Bought a new one. No more credit dot. Working 100%.

#4310 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballT:

Found the issue. Bad motor control board. Bought a new one. No more credit dot. Working 100%.

The MPF draws a lot of current, especially if it needs a tune-up.

This ends up wearing out the motor control boards.

#4311 3 years ago

The MPF draws a lot of current, especially if it needs a tune-up.
This ends up wearing out the motor control boards.

Thanks for all your help!
Tom

#4312 3 years ago

pinballinreno you put two boards in? A GIOCD and a LEDOCD?

#4313 3 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

Yessir!

And im very happy with the result.

My backbox is full now lol.

I also have the pinsound motion control board, way up on the upper right side.

Im super happy getting the high powered GI connectors off of my precious chris hibler rebuilt driver board.

#4314 3 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

Very VERY good idea. I wish I had another GIOCD laying around, I need to install one...

#4315 3 years ago

Yessir!
And im very happy with the result.
My backbox is full now lol.
I also have the pinsound motion control board, way up on the upper right side.
Im super happy getting the high powered GI connectors off of my precious chris hibler rebuilt driver board.

Now you just need the moving Dalek topper to complete it....

#4316 3 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Now you just need the moving Dalek topper to complete it....

ABSOLUTELY!!!

But, I want the original one that uses the big motor from marco.

The little servo one really isnt good enough to last.

I wish I could get an original kit....

#4317 3 years ago

ABSOLUTELY!!!

I have one... but it’s staying on my machine!

#4318 3 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

I have one... but it’s staying on my machine!

I would be interested in a group buy to make up another 50 or 100 kits.

#4319 3 years ago

I would consider getting in on this if it happens.

#4320 3 years ago

I have one of the kits so I don't need one myself but I could layout the circuit board if it will help.

#4321 3 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

I have one of the kits so I don't need one myself but I could layout the circuit board if it will help.

Pc boards we can get made quickly and cheaply if we have a sample or real drawing.

Marco still has some motors.

If there is someone here to do the metal fab, we have a workable solution.

#4322 3 years ago

ABSOLUTELY!!!

Surely there's a smaller servo that could be used? They're pretty powerful stuff.

#4323 3 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

Surely there's a smaller servo that could be used? They're pretty powerful stuff.

There is, but they break pretty fast.

#4324 3 years ago

There is, but they break pretty fast.

The idea with servos is to control speed and not just let it jerk back and forth, like the cheapo variations out there now. If there is software to control the servo motor speed, the servo will last. I work with servo motors and their logic every day, you can buy junk ones that last 5 minutes, or you can buy quality. Can buy high torque, step, directional, all metal gears, so many to choose from and most never go over 50 bucks

#4325 3 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

The idea with servos is to control speed and not just let it jerk back and forth, like the cheapo variations out there now. If there is software to control the servo motor speed, the servo will last. I work with servo motors and their logic every day, you can buy junk ones that last 5 minutes, or you can buy quality. Can buy high torque, step, directional, all metal gears, so many to choose from and most never go over 50 bucks

That idea definitly has merit.

However if someone has an uninstalled original kit, i would copy it.

#4326 3 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

I bought the kit from the UK to control the Dalek, and it looks like I need to make a bracket of some sort, and it includes or is compatible with a micro servo. Am I incorrect in assuming that the board included in the kit would control the speed adequately for modern servo? Seems odd to me that the kit is pictured with what I think is a 9KG analog servo if it won't work with it.

#4327 3 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

I bought the kit from the UK to control the Dalek, and it looks like I need to make a bracket of some sort, and it includes or is compatible with a micro servo. Am I incorrect in assuming that the board included in the kit would control the speed adequately for modern servo? Seems odd to me that the kit is pictured with what I think is a 9KG analog servo if it won't work with it.

Not sure what kit you purchased. The one kit that is out there requires the user to make a bracket from lexan or plexiglass. I installed one, it is easy and I bought a better server with metal gears. The controller board is the the encoder, which stops the servo at predetermined stops, which is okay, and is tied into the flashers.

#4328 3 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Not sure what kit you purchased. The one kit that is out there requires the user to make a bracket from lexan or plexiglass. I installed one, it is easy and I bought a better server with metal gears. The controller board is the the encoder, which stops the servo at predetermined stops, which is okay, and is tied into the flashers.

I haven't received that yet, but I believe you and I are on the same page as the type of kit. I am wondering if eyeamred2u have a suggestion for a different servo? Metal gearing I get, but what about the specifications? I'd like to have all the parts ready when I tear into it. TIA!

#4329 3 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

I haven't received that yet, but I believe you and I are on the same page as the type of kit. I am wondering if eyeamred2u have a suggestion for a different servo? Metal gearing I get, but what about the specifications? I'd like to have all the parts ready when I tear into it. TIA!

if it's my kit (pinballtoys.co.uk) then some people have found M-1502 servo motor which uses internal metal gears.
I have never tested this motor with my board so can't endorse it

my install instructions here that mentions other servo motors, https://www.pinballtoys.co.uk/?page_id=835
if people have been happy with other makes/models of servo motor then happy to update my document to help others
cheers Bob

#4330 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballtoys:

if it's my kit (pinballtoys.co.uk) then some people have found M-1502 servo motor which uses internal metal gears.
my install instructions here that mentions other servo motors, https://www.pinballtoys.co.uk/?page_id=835
if people have been happy with other makes/models of servo motor then happy to update my document to help others
cheers Bob

Your kit and instructions were great. I did use another servo with metal gears, and it worked much better and the response was quicker and stopped better.

#4331 3 years ago

I just uploaded to pinsound community a new version #2 of my enhanced 12 doctors fixed orchestration (Doctor_Who_12Doctors_final.zip).

lots of volume fixes

shakers removed so it now works perfectly with official shakers.

shortened some call outs, moved a few around to better tell the story.

I think this one is near perfect. Let me know of any nagging mistakes.

http://pinsound-community.org/forum/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=56

Also, Im sharing my boot.wav on a google drive for a couple days:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wlzR5tyMqUbMFzuNd9ZMHpyeinFM87Vh/view?usp=sharing

put it in the audio folder to make a cool startup call out if you have pinsound.

#4332 3 years ago

I just uploaded a new version #2 of my enhanced 12 doctors fixed orchestration.
lots of volume fixes,
shakers removed so it now works perfectly with official shakers.
shortened some call outs, moved a few around to better tell the story.
I think this one is near perfect. Let me know of any nagging mistakes.
hopefully it will get approved and be available soon.
Also, Im sharing my boot.wav on a google drive:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wlzR5tyMqUbMFzuNd9ZMHpyeinFM87Vh/view?usp=sharing
put it in the audio folder to make a cool startup call out if you have pinsound.

Why don’t you share the whole mix on the Drive in the meantime ?

#4333 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Ok, seems to be immediately available for some reason.

http://pinsound-community.org/forum/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=56

#4334 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Just played a 4 player game.

Seems balanced and accurate.
Im happy with it finally.

I might add a 13th doctor, then itll be amazing.

Giocd after many games, is a must have on Doctor Who.

Its incredible what the gi dimming does.

Really adds a lot.

#4335 3 years ago

Looks like it's not approved yet - you're probably seeing it since you uploaded it.

#4336 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Looks like it's not approved yet - you're probably seeing it since you uploaded it.

Yeah, it looks that way,

#4337 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Ok, I can do this!

I added the new orchestration to my google drive, get if now if you want:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1g50mJAtIs0wFvppOIK-hXXhicKjVBgCg/view?usp=sharing

let me know what you think please.

#4338 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballtoys:

cheers Bob

Looking at other servos, not sure exactly what I'm looking for - but I have a bunch of Analog servos (used in ACNC diverter) that are 10KG - FS5109M, a digital DS3218, and an analog Metal Gear Servo HK15288A.

Any specs I should be looking to use?

pinballtoys

#4339 3 years ago

Ok, I can do this!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1g50mJAtIs0wFvppOIK-hXXhicKjVBgCg/view?usp=sharing

Looking forward to it! Finally made it back to Ohio where my DW is. I brought a Pinsound with me and just wired up the stereo. Can’t wait to try some of the new mixes!

#4340 3 years ago

Ok, I can do this!

In my limited play - so far so good! On your prior "fixed" 12 Doctors, I noticed some of the low end was removed on the video modes, but I'm glad to report on my machine I can once again hear the thunderous BOOM as the Dalek is shooting in all the video modes I've encountered thus far.

It seems like some of the callouts have been removed - I do like that the callout I couldn't quite understand doesn't seem to be present on this one - it was on the side ramp, for the playfield multiplier.

I really like the start up Davros wav file as well.

#4341 3 years ago
Quoted from opt_prime:

In my limited play - so far so good! On your prior "fixed" 12 Doctors, I noticed some of the low end was removed on the video modes, but I'm glad to report on my machine I can once again hear the thunderous BOOM as the Dalek is shooting in all the video modes I've encountered thus far.
It seems like some of the callouts have been removed - I do like that the callout I couldn't quite understand doesn't seem to be present on this one - it was on the side ramp, for the playfield multiplier.
I really like the start up Davros wav file as well.

The fixed version had to be completely redone (way too many volume adjustments, it loaded too slow).

So i started over with the normalized files and a much better understanding of pinsound and pinsound studio.

I relocated some of the audio files to better tell the story.

I shortened a couple others etc.

There may be 1 or 2 volume adjustments left.

But they are very minor.

Next im going to add some river song and jodie Whitaker clips i just made.

Ill submit it to pinsound as a 13 doctors orchestration.

So far i really like how this 12 doctors mix has turned out.

Thanks again to @rdoyle1978, i couldnt have done anything really without an actual sound card and tons of play video from Pinballgoddess to see the story line.

#4342 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Looking forward to it! Finally made it back to Ohio where my DW is. I brought a Pinsound with me and just wired up the stereo. Can’t wait to try some of the new mixes!

This final one is pretty close to being done.

#4343 3 years ago

This final one is pretty close to being done.

I just loaded up the 12 doctors mix, and I realized I hadn't sent the most completed one - I have one with TONS more callouts I'm going to install. Thanks for the inspiration!

#4344 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I just loaded up the 12 doctors mix, and I realized I hadn't sent the most completed one - I have one with TONS more callouts I'm going to install. Thanks for the inspiration!

As long as all the files are normalized to -6, you can piggy back onto what I started.

I want to see what you come up with!

#4345 3 years ago

As long as all the files are normalized to -6, you can piggy back onto what I started.
I want to see what you come up with!

awesome - I always felt like I didnt have enough 11 in there, and David Tennant said a couple of funny things to us when we met him a few years ago - I have a video, maybe I can pull the audio and see if it works. woo!

#4346 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

awesome - I always felt like I didnt have enough 11 in there, and David Tennant said a couple of funny things to us when we met him a few years ago - I have a video, maybe I can pull the audio and see if it works. woo!

I spent a couple hours ripping river song and Jodie Whittaker clips earlier today, at the request of @pinballgoddess.

Hopefully ill have something for 13 doctors soon!

#4347 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

As long as the mix still tells the story it will be awesome!

#4348 3 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Your kit and instructions were great. I did use another servo with metal gears, and it worked much better and the response was quicker and stopped better.

Forgive me if you already stated it in prior posts. But what servo motor did you use instead?

#4349 3 years ago

Pinsound 13 doctors mix coming tomorrow.

Pinballgoddess approved!
Still tells the story.

Jodie Whitaker and river song added.

Comments are very welcome.

Ill post a google drive link.

#4350 3 years ago

13 doctors pinsound mix. Pinballgoddess approved ! Jodie Whitaker and River Song added discretely so as not to kill the story line.

ill leave it on my google drive for 2 days:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1o3bSXRHK-KPAIbLXJyOKjoeTeDywoWaM/view?usp=sharing

its also posted on pinsound downloads but awaiting approval.

Please comment on any adjustment i need to do.

Again many thanks to Rdoyle1978 for turning me onto the youtube vids for the content. The online audio strippers are awesome!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

£ 110.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 6,575 posts in this topic. You are on page 87 of 132.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-owners-clubtime-lords-welcome/page/87?hl=robotworkshop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.