(Topic ID: 76377)

Doctor Who Owners Club.....Time Lords Welcome!

By HoakyPoaky

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,575 posts
  • 445 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by pinballtoys
  • Topic is favorited by 197 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Dalek7 (resized).JPG
Dalek33 (resized).JPG
Dalek32 (resized).JPG
TheDoctorWhoMiniPlayfieldv1.2.pdf (PDF preview)
Motor 3 (resized).JPG
Wires1 (resized).JPG
Rebuild18 (resized).JPG
GIBuzzBrown (resized).jpg
Back Board lights2 (resized).jpg
20240407_212554 (resized).jpg
DSCF2875 (resized).JPG
DSCF2874 (resized).JPG
Bally_1992_Doctor_Who_Mini_Playfield_Opto_Bank_Paper_Cover_Template.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,575 posts in this topic. You are on page 86 of 132.
#4251 3 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

I know you have had issues getting it to work but the built-in shaker effects do go off with the time expander already and they are fancier than what I could do with pinsound studio.... Just sayin..

Official shakers do not work on my pinsound plus regardless of how carefully installed.

Nocholas is at a loss, it makes no sense.

Yet they dont work at all.

So im making my own. They actually work.

I would be thrilled if my $700 sound and shaker system actually did what it was supposed to.

Maybe i can get it working some day, or maybe its broken and i have to get a new one...

#4252 3 years ago

Anyone know what the color of the legs should be? Silver or Black? Looks like black on promo.
Thanks!

#4253 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballT:

Anyone know what the color of the legs should be? Silver or Black? Looks like black on promo.
Thanks!

Got the answer. BLACK
Thanks!
Tom

#4254 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Official shakers do not work on my pinsound plus regardless of how carefully installed.
Nocholas is at a loss, it makes no sense.
Yet they dont work at all.
So im making my own. They actually work.
I would be thrilled if my $700 sound and shaker system actually did what it was supposed to.
Maybe i can get it working some day, or maybe its broken and i have to get a new one...

UPDATE!

There is another firmware update from yesterday.

I reinstalled everything again from scratch.

SUCCESS!!!!!

Enbedded shakers are so cool!

I have no idea what my problem was but its all perfect now.

Im very happy with the result.

PINSOUND ROCKS!!!

If you have a supported game, its truly plug and play.

#4255 3 years ago

its truly plug and play

Absolutely EVERYTHING you have said prior to this statement has proved otherwise.

#4256 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Absolutely EVERYTHING you have said prior to this statement has proved otherwise.

Lol, yep, sorta...but im the only one that had trouble i think.

Its my super power to always struggle along

You do have to install programming.

However, now that the game is fully supported by firmware it is pretty easy.

This is only in the last 3 weeks though.

Install latest firmware, install original mix.

It works perfectly.

Others will have it easy.

Custom mixes and shakers are a separate thing if you go that direction.

Its an artform that takes time and patience.

I have mine 95% done now.

#4257 3 years ago

Install latest firmware, install original mix.
It works perfectly.
Others will have it easy.
Custom mixes are a separate thing if you go that direction.

That’s incorrect. The firmware supports shakerization with all mixes. Just remember that the mixes must be completely clear of custom shaker instructions for the firmware to take over. I have the doctorin the tardis, the disco, the 12 drs, and the original and they all shake. I tested them.

#4258 3 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

That’s incorrect. The firmware supports shakerization with all mixes. Just remember that the mixes must be completely clear of custom shaker instructions for the firmware to take over. I have the doctorin the tardis, the disco, the 12 drs, and the original and they all shake. I tested them.

This is awesome news! Thanks for clarifying some of my confusion.

I only have about 15 shakes in my custom mix.

What I was referring to was that if you make your own shakers the pinsound firmware is supposed to choose the user events over the embedded ones. This takes a bit of time to sort out.

That said, I think the shakers they embedded are just about perfect, no reason to make your own up.

Its easy to remove my shaker settings from my mix do this!

Also do you have all of your mixes on a single USB stick?

I have 4 orchestrations on my USB stick, It would be amazing to have them all shake without hours of making shaker settings.

This is going to be EPIC!

Thanks!

#4259 3 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

I removed all my custom shakers from all my mixes.

The pinsound had to check all 4 mixes i had on the USB stick.

When it was done, Holy Crap!

Official shakers worked on all mixes!

Doctorin the tardis (needs some tweaking) is so much fun with the shakers!

Its amazing, i love this game!

Pinsound with shakers Rocks!

#4260 3 years ago

THANK YOU SO MUCH!
I removed all my custom shakers from all my mixes.
The pinsound had to check all 4 mixes i had on the USB stick.
When it was done, Holy Crap!
Official shakers worked on all mixes!
Doctorin the tardis (needs some tweaking) is so much fun with the shakers!
Its amazing, i love this game!
Pinsound with shakers Rocks!

I don't think Pinsound is for every game but yes it really makes this game. I've had quite a few folks come over and play it and comment that the music makes the game.

The LED ColorDMD is also pretty awesome. fits right in with no mods and is so damn bright! Way brighter than the LCD version.

#4261 3 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

I don't think Pinsound is for every game but yes it really makes this game. I've had quite a few folks come over and play it and comment that the music makes the game.
The LED ColorDMD is also pretty awesome. fits right in with no mods and is so damn bright! Way brighter than the LCD version.

You dont know how much you have helped me out.

I was really lost on the pinsound shaker. Its awesome!

Standard modernizations for today's game:

2smd frosted sunlight LEDs throughout.

Alt translight

Ledocd

Color DMD LED version, perfect for this game.

Flipper fidelity or pinball pro speakers.

Pinsound plus with shaker.

My game compares to any modern game and then some.

People just love to play it!

This absolutely shows, as most games are beat to crap from millions of plays.

It a great earner on location.

I could not be happier with my game, i play it evety day.

#4262 3 years ago

I've got a pretty banged up top for my time expander. The plastic is chipped and busted, and was wondering about how to rebuild it with epoxy and forms.

Anyone done something like this? How do I create forms for the missing bits, and what type of epoxy would work well?

TIA

#4263 3 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

I've got a pretty banged up top for my time expander. The plastic is chipped and busted, and was wondering about how to rebuild it with epoxy and forms.
Anyone done something like this? How do I create forms for the missing bits, and what type of epoxy would work well?
TIA

I would just replace it with a new one and a new decal.

The new one is thicker plastic and a better material.

#4264 3 years ago

I would just replace it with a new one and a new decal.
The new one is thicker plastic and a better material.

Any tips on where to find one?

#4265 3 years ago

You dont know how much you have helped me out.
I was really lost on the pinsound shaker. Its awesome!
Standard modernizations for today's game:
2smd frosted sunlight LEDs throughout.
Alt translight
Ledocd
Color DMD LED version, perfect for this game.
Flipper fidelity or pinball pro speakers.
Pinsound plus with shaker.
My game compares to any modern game and then some.
People just love to play it!
This absolutely shows, as most games are beat to crap from millions of plays.
It a great earner on location.
I could not be happier with my game, i play it evety day.

Did you convert the GI to LED as well? This game does funky things with the GI and a GI OCD board is definitely required (and enabling the GI special features and dimming in the settings). I have both LED and GI OCD boards.

The only thing I have stopped doing on my games is upgrading the speakers. I find that in most cases(Pinsound) they sound awesome with just the stereo splitter and the addition of an external sub but don't really require new speakers. The low end is what is really missing and the external sub provides that way better than any speaker upgrade can. I use the pinnovators sub-mixer thingy to connect 4 games to 1 sub.

#4266 3 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

Any tips on where to find one?

Contact Freeplay40 here on pinside for the cover.

Maybe ministry of pinball for the decal or marco or PPS.

#4267 3 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Did you convert the GI to LED as well? This game does funky things with the GI and a GI OCD board is definitely required (and enabling the GI special features and dimming in the settings). I have both LED and GI OCD boards.
The only thing I have stopped doing on my games is upgrading the speakers. I find that in most cases(Pinsound) they sound awesome with just the stereo splitter and the addition of an external sub but don't really require new speakers. The low end is what is really missing and the external sub provides that way better than any speaker upgrade can. I use the pinnovators sub-mixer thingy to connect 4 games to 1 sub.

I agree a 10" powered sub is awesome!

But Pinballgoddess doesnt want anyting on the floor so she can clean under the games.

So, its onboard subs for me.

I havent put in GIOCD yet.

I have GI dimming off in the settings.

Is there a lot of dimming in this game? I know the lights go off during video modes.

I also see that there is horrible flickering in the GI when i play with the dimming feature, so i just left it off by default.

I can certainly add it in, though the backbox it getting full now lol.

#4268 3 years ago

I havent put in GIOCD yet.
I have GI dimming off in the settings.
Is there a lot of dimming in this game? I know the lights go off during video modes.
I also see that there is horrible flickering in the GI when i play with the dimming feature, so i just left it off by default.
I can certainly add it in, though the backbox it getting full now lol.

Here is the attract mode with the pulsing GI.

#4269 3 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

That looks amazing!

Ok. GIOCD ordered.

Did you make any adjustments to the GIOCD?

I made a couple small tweaks to the LEDOCD settings for very minor ghosting.

Lowered the brightness to 78% from 85
Lowered the delay to 2 for the fast flashing of a couple inserts, looks pretty perfect.

Thanks!

#4270 3 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

I'm almost afraid to ask - how much is the GIOCD and where to I pick it up?

#4271 3 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

If you are in the US then there are a few places you can get it from. I'm in Canada so the only option for me is Comet Pinball. It's $164USD.

https://www.cometpinball.com/products/led-ocd-boards?variant=29579164975206

#4272 3 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

$155

http://ledocd.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=8

I have so much money in this pin, a little more wont hurt lol!

But, my game is just over-the-top gorgeous. Pinballgoddess wont have it any other way, since its her game.
Its the only game she ever showed any interest in getting.
How could I say no! lol.

#4273 3 years ago

$155
http://ledocd.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=8
I have so much money in this pin, a little more wont hurt lol!

All my games get Pinsound, ColorDMD and shaker if not already included, and some have better speakers. With the exchange rate and shipping and import fees it comes up to about 1000-1300USD per game. However if I ever sell them those add-ons will be removed and kept for the next game.

#4274 3 years ago

I just made a boot.wav for my doctor who.

"So doctor, we meet again"

It rocks!

#4275 3 years ago

I just made a boot.wav for my doctor who.
"So doctor, we meet again"
It rocks!

Interested in the Pinsound, I have heard lots of good about it - but wondering if I can save some $$$ on it by getting other speakers. The rub is I have the original speaker board style with lighting - so the mid on the left and the smaller tweeter on the right - I don't want to pitch the lighted speaker panel as I just got it, and not really into dropping another $120 on rebadged Pyle speakers (guess)...

Thoughts?

#4276 3 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

Interested in the Pinsound, I have heard lots of good about it - but wondering if I can save some $$$ on it by getting other speakers. The rub is I have the original speaker board style with lighting - so the mid on the left and the smaller tweeter on the right - I don't want to pitch the lighted speaker panel as I just got it, and not really into dropping another $120 on rebadged Pyle speakers (guess)...
Thoughts?

You don't have to change speakers when using Pinsound. Just buy the stereo harness to make it sound a bit better. That's what I have on mine. Original speakers with stereo harness and external sub. sounds pretty good.

#4277 3 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

Thoughts?

No. Speakers have really nothing to do with what Pinsound can offer you. You can drop $350 or whatever on a pinsound and replace sounds, upgrade your music to HD, have entire alternate soundtracks... the 12 doctors mix I started and pinballinreno perfected is really outstanding. IMO. Changes the game entirely. it IS a bit of a challenge to set up if you're new to it, but there's lots of help offered here.

or you can drop $150 on new speakers and be able to turn up the bass. Your choice I guess. But you don't reallyneed new speakers with the pinsound.

#4278 3 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

Thoughts?

Flipper fidelity are very good as they have wooden adapters and cabling specifically for pinsound.

They also have an adapter ring to put in an oversized bass speaker.

The 10" bass speaker sounds great.

However its not powered!

I have my sub boost at 89% just to get some punch out of my 10" bass speaker, but it works pretty good over all.

And lightyears ahead of factory speakers.

Powered subs are awesome and blow away any 10" or 12" bass speaker.

The kit is very good and in my opinion, top of the line.

Its a little spendy for what you get, but they make it so incredibly simple to jnstall. Its a trade off.

That said, there are plenty of excellent speakers on Amazon for $10 that sound equivalent.

So if you want to do a little work yourself, you can save a lot.

I agree that a powered sub on sale for $90 and a couple high-grade sprakers, sound better and is cheaper.

#4279 3 years ago

Flipper fidelity are very good as they have wooden adapters and cabling specifically for pinsound.
They also have an adapter ring to put in an oversized bass speaker.
The 10" bass speaker sounds great.
However its not powered!
I have my sub boost at 89% just to get some punch out of my 10" bass speaker, but it works pretty good over all.
And lightyears ahead of factory speakers.
Powered subs are awesome and blow away any 10" or 12" bass speaker.
The kit is very good and in my opinion, top of the line.
Its a little spendy for what you get, but they make it so incredibly simple to jnstall. Its a trade off.
That said, there are plenty of excellent speakers on Amazon for $10 that sound equivalent.
So if you want to do a little work yourself, you can save a lot.
I agree that a powered sub on sale for $90 and a couple high-grade sprakers, sound better and is cheaper.

I just bought pinball pro speakers for my over the top funhouse restore.

Honestly, I'm disappointed in them.

They sound great in my diner.

But they are very crude compared to flipper fidelity.

No instructions, really cheap packaging etc.

They are a little cheaper, but not what i was expecting.

Ill buy flipper fidelity in the future.

Im going to put in pinsound and
The pinsound shaker if there is official shakers for it.

#4280 3 years ago

My GIOCD board for my doctor who came today.

Ill post my thoughts when i put it in on Wednesday.

#4281 3 years ago

My GIOCD board for my doctor who came today.
Ill post my thoughts when i put it in on Wednesday.

wednesday?!?!? Get on with it!

#4282 3 years ago

Not sure everyone saw, but CPR is looking for a good quality original mini playfield to borrow if anyone has one.

#4283 3 years ago
Quoted from Clnilsen:

Not sure everyone saw, but CPR is looking for a good quality original mini playfield to borrow if anyone has one.

This would be awesome!

The last one needed a bit of rework.

#4284 3 years ago

Hi All,
Having trouble with a Doctor Who I just got. It is giving me a mini play field error No CCW movement. I think it is actually working great but keeps giving me this error message. I looked under and looks to have new motor because the wires have been reattached. Any advice would be great. I looked at some past posts and one mentioned that the wires (red and black) could be backwards. Would that cause it? Thanks!

#4285 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballT:

Would that cause it?

Yep

#4286 3 years ago
Quoted from Clnilsen:

I've got mine parted out right now - what's their offer? Clnilsen

#4287 3 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

I've got mine parted out right now - what's their offer? clnilsen

They just borrow it to copy. I've sent in NOS stuff before, and they get it back pretty quickly. Usually they send you one of whatever they made free. Reach out to them.

https://www.facebook.com/Classic-Playfield-Reproductions-110079519323049/

#4288 3 years ago

Well I tried it and it did not work. Now I have the opto out on the left kick out. Thinking I will just take the whole mini field out. Anything to look for to clean, fix or adjust?
Thanks,
Tom

#4289 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballT:

Well I tried it and it did not work. Now I have the opto out on the left kick out. Thinking I will just take the whole mini field out. Anything to look for to clean, fix or adjust?
Thanks,
Tom

Wires get very brittle at the lock optos, one probably fell off.

I replaced my opto wires with silicone wires for flexibility.

As the entire MPF wears out, the motor draws more and more current, especially if its sticky or poorly lubricated.

So, the motor controller boards are usually heat stressed and unreliable.

I would just replace the motor board and the 10 opto board at this time unless its already been done. Or you can just rebuild them if they havent already been hacked up..

The whole MPF should be removed for inspection, cleaning and lubrication with silicone grease.

All connectors and wires should be cleaned and inspected at this point.

No CCW error, is either a bad motor board or the motor is wired backwards, or both. Or its jamming or stuck.

#4290 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballT:

Thanks,
Tom

Working on the MPF is not a simple thing.

There is never a "quick fix" unfortunately.

Its either your "all in" or always fixing it later.

If you rebuild it totally it will last years, trouble free.

Faz's guide is the bible.
Read it completely and understand it.

Some things become apparent after you pull it apart.

Time and experience helps a lot.

Its a journey of discovery, frustration and reward.

#4291 3 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

wednesday?!?!? Get on with it!

Did you adjust any of tbe settings for your GIOCD board, with the computer program?

#4292 3 years ago

As the entire MPF wears out, the motor draws more and more current, especially if its sticky or poorly lubricated.
I would just replace the motor board and the 10 opto board at this time unless its already been done. Or you can just rebuild them if they havent already been hacked up..
The whole MPF should be removed for inspection, cleaning and lubrication with silicone grease.
No CCW error, is either a bad motor board or the motor is wired backwards, or both. Or its jamming or stuck.

Thanks for advice Guys! I took out the mini field and the opto just needed to be realigned. Everything looks good and things are lubricated. Looks to be new motor. Yes, it’s the correct motor. Crazy thing is that everything works great! It’s just that darn credit dot.

#4293 3 years ago

Did you adjust any of tbe settings for your GIOCD board, with the computer program?

Other than “fixing” the strings 4 and 5 for wpc I don’t think I changed other settings.

#4294 3 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Other than “fixing” the strings 4 and 5 for wpc I don’t think I changed other settings.

What is "fixing the strings 4 and 5".

Does this refer to the software on strings 4 and 5 being set to always on by default?

How did you set yours up?

#4295 3 years ago

No CCW could be an OPTO alignment issue or bad opto inside the MPF as well. If the cam position opto is bad or its associated wiring/plugs are bad, this error will pop up as well.

#4296 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballT:

Thanks for advice Guys! I took out the mini field and the opto just needed to be realigned. Everything looks good and things are lubricated. Looks to be new motor. Yes, it’s the correct motor. Crazy thing is that everything works great! It’s just that darn credit dot.

credit dot will go away when all switches havw been triggered or when it just wants to go away.

#4297 3 years ago

What is "fixing the strings 4 and 5".
Does this refer to the software on strings 4 and 5 being set to always on by default?
How did you set yours up?

Just follow the instructions. http://ledocd.com/usage_gi.html

The board arrives configured for WPC95 which means strings 4 and 5 of the GI are always on. Just change it as indicated in the link.

You can play with the settings to pick a look as far as how fast bulbs turn on and off. I honestly don't remember if I changed settings but I remember trying some different fade delays out. I don't think I changed anything from stock settings.

Remember to go into the pinball settings and enable GI effects and GI dimming. I don't remember what setting number just flip through them. There aren't that many like modern sterns lol.

The machine is sandwiched between 2 others and I don't have an easy access to check the settings I have on the OCD board. I do plan on bringing it in the garage to shop it out and do the cab decals in about a month at which point I can check.

#4298 3 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Just follow the instructions. http://ledocd.com/usage_gi.html
The board arrives configured for WPC95 which means strings 4 and 5 of the GI are always on. Just change it as indicated in the link.
You can play with the settings to pick a look as far as how fast bulbs turn on and off. I honestly don't remember if I changed settings but I remember trying some different fade delays out. I don't think I changed anything from stock settings.
Remember to go into the pinball settings and enable GI effects and GI dimming. I don't remember what setting number just flip through them. There aren't that many like modern sterns lol.
The machine is sandwiched between 2 others and I don't have an easy access to check the settings I have on the OCD board. I do plan on bringing it in the garage to shop it out and do the cab decals in about a month at which point I can check.

Got it, thanks!

#4299 3 years ago

Really do need to get a pinsound board now, Dr who with a shaker would be awesome.

#4300 3 years ago
Quoted from Xantari:

Really do need to get a pinsound board now, Dr who with a shaker would be awesome.

yes..... and yes...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 85.00
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
£ 110.00
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 6,575 posts in this topic. You are on page 86 of 132.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-owners-clubtime-lords-welcome/page/86?hl=robotworkshop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.