(Topic ID: 76377)

Doctor Who Owners Club.....Time Lords Welcome!

By HoakyPoaky

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,575 posts
  • 445 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 days ago by pinballtoys
  • Topic is favorited by 197 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Dalek7 (resized).JPG
Dalek33 (resized).JPG
Dalek32 (resized).JPG
TheDoctorWhoMiniPlayfieldv1.2.pdf (PDF preview)
Motor 3 (resized).JPG
Wires1 (resized).JPG
Rebuild18 (resized).JPG
GIBuzzBrown (resized).jpg
Back Board lights2 (resized).jpg
20240407_212554 (resized).jpg
DSCF2875 (resized).JPG
DSCF2874 (resized).JPG
Bally_1992_Doctor_Who_Mini_Playfield_Opto_Bank_Paper_Cover_Template.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,575 posts in this topic. You are on page 84 of 132.
#4151 4 years ago
Quoted from Xantari:

How do you check header pins for resistance? Why would there be any resistance? Chris Hibler had mentioned he does put on new header pins in a few spots on the power driver boards, but I don't fully understand why that would make any difference, it's still exposed metal. It conducts electricity the same way as it did when it was made right?
I did notice when talking with Chris and he was having me look at the power driver board that J120 was hacked, didn't notice it before until he told me to look at them. My guess is part of it burned, they cut the J120 plug, and then put in a new 3 pin header to go along with what used to be an 11 pin plug (which is now just 8 pins).
J121 was the one that was partially on that I pushed back in.
Maybe will send this in to get looked at by Chris and get the NVRAM chip installed on the MPU while I'm at it.

I had chris repair my driver board.
It was in terrible condition.

It looks brand new now.

Better than new, along with hi-temp headers.

His work is excellent.

I just sent him all 3 of the boards from my flood damaged funhouse project.

#4152 4 years ago

New orchestration I am working on for Dr Who, Jimi Hendrix. Have a look below.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7te9z1

#4153 4 years ago

pinballjah your going to force me to get a pinsound aren't you!

I just ordered my LCD color dmd... pinsound board might be next, gotta fix this stupid opto issue first though.

#4154 4 years ago
Quoted from Xantari:

I just ordered my LCD color dmd... pinsound board might be next, gotta fix this stupid opto issue first though.

Pinsound is an even better upgrade than ColorDMD for this game. I love mine.

#4155 4 years ago
Quoted from Xantari:

Thanks, Pinsound is fun, really depends on the game. You have to realize that the Pinsound orchestrations will not be as polished as the original soundtracks and not all sounds will blend perfectly with the SFX, voice tracks, etc. Some of the orchestrations that have been done for games are amazing. The good thing about Pinsound is you can move it around between games as well, if you get tired of it on a certain game.

#4156 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Thanks, Pinsound is fun, really depends on the game. You have to realize that the Pinsound orchestrations will not be as polished as the original soundtracks and not all sounds will blend perfectly with the SFX, voice tracks, etc. Some of the orchestrations that have been done for games are amazing. The good thing about Pinsound is you can move it around between games as well, if you get tired of it on a certain game.

Also keep in mind you can change all sounds if you feel so inclined. Not just music (orchestrations) but sound effects and voice calls too. I've tweaked the voice calls on my STTNG with Patrick Stewart quotes from various sources and other STTNG chracters as well. It all blends in and sounds original.

#4157 4 years ago

Hello gentlemen. Just wanted to pop in and say that Doctor Who is a criminally under rated machine, and will forever be one of my all time favorite games. I currently don't own one (but will again some day), and wish to say that, for me, it beats games like twilight zone, medieval madness, adams family, etc. Just something about this game is the perfect game, and it is a shame that it isn't higher rated.

Anyhow... carry on!

#4158 4 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Hello gentlemen. Just wanted to pop in and say that Doctor Who is a criminally under rated machine, and will forever be one of my all time favorite games. I currently don't own one (but will again some day), and wish to say that, for me, it beats games like twilight zone, medieval madness, adams family, etc. Just something about this game is the perfect game, and it is a shame that it isn't higher rated.
Anyhow... carry on!

I own it and love it but let's agree to disagree!!! I prefer games with some depth and hard to achieve goals. DW is a fast game, brutal on outlanes, and some games can be so short it's cruel. However it feels like a system 11 game with a DMD(reminds me a lot of Pinbot). Very basic game play. Yes there is some strategy to follow in order to score big but I'm not a fan of points based pinballs. I like modes/missions!

That being said, DW fits well in my collection but wouldn't want too many games as simple as DW...

#4159 4 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

I own it and love it but let's agree to disagree!!! I prefer games with some depth and hard to achieve goals. DW is a fast game, brutal on outlanes, and some games can be so short it's cruel. However it feels like a system 11 game with a DMD(reminds me a lot of Pinbot). Very basic game play. Yes there is some strategy to follow in order to score big but I'm not a fan of points based pinballs. I like modes/missions!
That being said, DW fits well in my collection but wouldn't want too many games as simple as DW...

I agree. You need games with depth too, but this one I could see being a desert island pin for me. Granted I know this opinion is a strange one, but still. Lol

#4160 4 years ago

I finally got one of my shipments from Ministry of Pinball (unfortunately it appears that my first order is lost in the postal system as I put that one in 1 month ago for the time expander decals and ended up getting my later order just today).

Guess I am going to have to break down and get a better printer and print my own time expander decal, which thankfully I can do now that I have good images of the decal.

Here is a comparison of the dalek plastics now.

2020-04-20_16-20-52 (resized).png2020-04-20_16-20-52 (resized).png
#4161 4 years ago
Quoted from Xantari:

I finally got one of my shipments from Ministry of Pinball (unfortunately it appears that my first order is lost in the postal system as I put that one in 1 month ago for the time expander decals and ended up getting my later order just today).
Guess I am going to have to break down and get a better printer and print my own time expander decal, which thankfully I can do now that I have good images of the decal.
Here is a comparison of the dalek plastics now.[quoted image]

Keep in mind that there were multiple makers of plastics, and there are cases where some of them did NOT print the plastic number on them.

#4162 4 years ago
Quoted from Xantari:

I have NOS slings.
Your originals just look faded as expected.

They are close to the pinball center repros. But not exact.

I do like the color of the ministry ones, they match the playfield pretty good.

#4163 4 years ago
Quoted from Xantari:

I have many Doctor Who decal files, including the Time Expander.

#4164 4 years ago
Quoted from Xantari:

Id just complain and have them send a new decal while your still repairing your game.

Who knows, it might just show up...lol

1 week later
#4165 3 years ago

If your stuck at home and nothing to do, why not check out my latest Dr. Who orchestration, Dr. Hendrix All original Jimi Hendrix music for your Dr. Who! Here is a link to the download, now available in the Pinsound community. Let me know what you think.

http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/313-pinballjah-doctor-who-hendrix-remix/

hendrix (resized).jpghendrix (resized).jpg
#4166 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

If your stuck at home and nothing to do, why not check out my latest Dr. Who orchestration, Dr. Hendrix All original Jimi Hendrix music for your Dr. Who! Here is a link to the download, now available in the Pinsound community. Let me know what you think.
http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/313-pinballjah-doctor-who-hendrix-remix/[quoted image]

Do love Hendrix and Pinsound not sure these fit together for me personally. Well done otherwise.

#4167 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Do love Hendrix and Pinsound not sure these fit together for me personally. Well done otherwise.

Thanks, thought all the guitar solos would go well with the Dr. Who theme. I do like the original music as well but since there is not a Hendrix themed game, thought I give it a shot.

#4168 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Doing a Radiohead as well Lots of free time these days.

2 weeks later
#4170 3 years ago

I have a Pinsound / Pinwoofer (powered sub) combo, and am curious if anyone else has this combination. I initially installed the Pinwoofer, and was very impressed with the amount of bass output when using the original audio card.

However, after adding Pinsound, some of the titles have an unimpressive amount of bass, including the "original" orchestration for Dr. Who. I have to presume that it's related to the audio files that I have loaded up for the Pinsound. Some tracks, like the "Modern Pinsound Mix" have booming bass, such as during the video modes, but others, such as the "original" orchestration, have virtually no bass when using Pinsound.

#4171 3 years ago
Quoted from opt_prime:

I have a Pinsound / Pinwoofer (powered sub) combo, and am curious if anyone else has this combination. I initially installed the Pinwoofer, and was very impressed with the amount of bass output when using the original audio card.
However, after adding Pinsound, some of the titles have an unimpressive amount of bass, including the "original" orchestration for Dr. Who. I have to presume that it's related to the audio files that I have loaded up for the Pinsound. Some tracks, like the "Modern Pinsound Mix" have booming bass, such as during the video modes, but others, such as the "original" orchestration, have virtually no bass when using Pinsound.

The pinsound files need to be normalized and EQ'd

Use audacity to normalize every single file to -6, adjust bass and treble.

Use the spatialization in audacity to get a stereo field on all of the files for richer sound.

None of the downloadable orchestrations are finished, they are pretty raw, in fact not that good at all. Serious gain ptoblems etc. Some files are so low as to be inaudible.

Its a lot of work, im editing mine right now.

People just don't understand audio that well, so though the orchestrations are mostly complete, they are very raw.

After you clean up the files then you can import to pinsound studio and get the gains correct for the game and add shaker adjustments.

Pinsound studio is in its infancy right now. It works, but needs a lot of refinement

#4172 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

The pinsound files need to be normalized and EQ'd
Use audacity to normalize every single file to -6, adjust bass and treble.
Use the spatialization in audacity to get a stereo field on all of the files for richer sound.
None of the downloadable orchestrations are finished, they are pretty raw, in fact not that good at all. Serious gain ptoblems etc. Some files are so low as to be inaudible.
Its a lot of work, im editing mine right now.
People just don't understand audio that well, so though mostly complete, they are very raw.
After you clean up the files then you can import to pinsound studio and get the gains correct for the game and add shaker adjustments.

Thank you very much for the explanation - sheesh, I didn't know it would be so much work to get things "right." I did notice some of the Pinsound recordings to be a bit off, such as volume increasing dramatically at certain points, or some audio pieces were difficult to hear.

I still consider myself a pinball novice in many respects, and although I was able to install both products, this feels like more effort than I bargained for. In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have gotten the Pinsound.

#4173 3 years ago
Quoted from opt_prime:

Thank you very much for the explanation - sheesh, I didn't know it would be so much work to get things "right." I did notice some of the Pinsound recordings to be a bit off, such as volume increasing dramatically at certain points, or some audio pieces were difficult to hear.
I still consider myself a pinball novice in many respects, and although I was able to install both products, this feels like more effort than I bargained for. In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have gotten the Pinsound.

Pinsound is amazing if people would do things right.

A few of the game orchestrations are really good.

But i agree, its an enthusiast product.

Not really plug and play.

The developers leave the editing to the community.

Few pinball people know how to make studio quality output and actually have pinsound.

Hopefully i will have something decent to post for doctor who soon.

#4174 3 years ago
Quoted from opt_prime:

Im over half way done with a preliminary orchestration of the 12 doctors mix that has been EQ'd to minus 6 and bass and treble adjusted.

I should have it uploaded to the community page at pinsound tomorrow.

The classic mix will follow after i get a new original sound card ftom rdoyle.

I need a reference point.

I dont have an original sound card yet.

#4175 3 years ago

Im over half way done with a preliminary orchestration of the 12 doctors mix that has been EQ'd to minus 6 and bass and treble adjusted.
I should have it uploaded to the community page at pinsound tomorrow.
The classic mix will follow after i get a new original sound card ftom rdoyle.
I need a reference point.
I dont have an original sound card yet.

I think it is awesome that you're doing this. I can handle any type of board repairs (even designing new boards from scratch) and mechanical issues but have something close to zero in regards to audio skills so appreciate what you're doing for all Doctor Who owners. I pick and choose my battles and Audio, landscaping, and plumbing are ones I avoid.

#4176 3 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

I think it is awesome that you're doing this. I can handle any type of board repairs (even designing new boards from scratch) and mechanical issues but have something close to zero in regards to audio skills so appreciate what you're doing for all Doctor Who owners. I pick and choose my battles and Audio, landscaping, and plumbing are ones I avoid.

Lol.

Im a pipfitter/plumber by trade (local 350!)

I have a recording studio.

And i have an amazing garden to grow my organic veggies!

Whew!

Ill try to fix up the doctor who files this week.

The 12 doctor mix is my priority.
Pinballgoddess likes it the best.

#4177 3 years ago

Lol.
Im a pipfitter/plumber by trade (local 350!)
I have a recording studio.
And i have an amazing garden to grow my organic veggies!
Whew!
Ill try to fix up the doctor who files this week.
The 12 doctor mix is my priority.
pinballgoddess likes it the best.

I can do plumbing if I have to but it is not my Forte. I appreciate what you guys do and know just a bit what it entails. Luckily I have a good friend that is awesome at plumbing so he helps out whit that. I take care of any computer issues he has and also this winter fixed two furnace control boards for him so people could have heat,

#4178 3 years ago

Hi,

I'm missing two of the decals on the left ramp - the "complete repair each target 1 million" one and the "force field" one beneath it, on the side of the ramp.
I can't seem to find it for sale online - only a complete ramp set with decals.
Does anyone know if these are available or could share a scanned file ?

#4179 3 years ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

Hi,
I'm missing two of the decals on the left ramp - the "complete repair each target 1 million" one and the "force field" one beneath it, on the side of the ramp.

I have some files for these. A friend produced and they look good.
I emailed spaceship fantasy and the response was that they were not authorized to sell the decals alone. I think its BS. They're way of telling you to buy the entire ramp.

#4180 3 years ago

Tried a transparent jet-bumper cap.

#4181 3 years ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

Hi,

I might have someting PM me.

#4182 3 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

Tried a transparent jet-bumper cap.

Forsted bodies from zitt are really good.

#4183 3 years ago

I finally got the opto issues fixed in the mini playfield. I have to say a huge thanks to Pinball Plus in MN (John Ross) he was able to figure out the issue.

I bought a blue opto carrier from Shapeways and white mushroom targets from shapeways. In addition I created a opto carrier shield using black paper card stock.

What was happening is that I was getting misfiring opto's from switches 71-75 (the opto switches on the mini playfield) when I pressed the flipper buttons.

It turns out that if you removed the black card stock opto carrier shield, the frequency of that happening was greatly reduced.

In addition, blocking the opto switch beam with your finger always produced a positive result (switch on/off without issues).

What John did to fix the issue was to take a marker to color all of the white mushroom target stems (painted them black with permanent marker).

In addition, the black card stock opto carrier shield was removed in favor of black electrical tape.

Problem solved.

Our current running theory is that the black card stock opto shield was actually bouncing light (yeah it's black, dunno). In addition, he thinks that the new opto LED's and receivers are so powerful that it could be that some of the light is getting through the white mushroom target stem (thus blacking out the stem with a permanent marker).

Back in business!!!

#4184 3 years ago
Quoted from Xantari:

I finally got the opto issues fixed in the mini playfield. I have to say a huge thanks to Pinball Plus in MN (John Ross) he was able to figure out the issue.
I bought a blue opto carrier from Shapeways and white mushroom targets from shapeways. In addition I created a opto carrier shield using black paper card stock.
What was happening is that I was getting misfiring opto's from switches 71-75 (the opto switches on the mini playfield) when I pressed the flipper buttons.
It turns out that if you removed the black card stock opto carrier shield, the frequency of that happening was greatly reduced.
In addition, blocking the opto switch beam with your finger always produced a positive result (switch on/off without issues).
What John did to fix the issue was to take a marker to color all of the white mushroom target stems (painted them black with permanent marker).
In addition, the black card stock opto carrier shield was removed in favor of black electrical tape.
Problem solved.
Our current running theory is that the black card stock opto shield was actually bouncing light (yeah it's black, dunno). In addition, he thinks that the new opto LED's and receivers are so powerful that it could be that some of the light is getting through the white mushroom target stem (thus blacking out the stem with a permanent marker).
Back in business!!!

But why the flipper button triggering tye optos.weird.

#4185 3 years ago
Quoted from Xantari:

Problem solved.
Back in business!!!

I had the same issue, had to paint my blue swinks' carrier black to solve the opto issue and I also used electrical tape.

Glad your issue is fixed. @pinballreno and myself had much discussion about light reflection lol

#4186 3 years ago

Cleaning up machines bought from Italy is always interesting.
Seems the previous owner of this machine had some trouble with the optos on the mini playfield and chose this solution.
Thoughts ? Leave as is or replace with new opto boards and rewire ?

2020-05-16 16.16.52 (resized).jpg2020-05-16 16.16.52 (resized).jpg2020-05-16 16.19.05 (resized).jpg2020-05-16 16.19.05 (resized).jpg
#4187 3 years ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

Seems the previous owner of this machine had some trouble with the optos on the mini playfield and chose this solution.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Put the optos back in, forget that nitemare

#4188 3 years ago
Quoted from Xantari:

Problem solved.
Back in business!!!

Once you go black...

#4189 3 years ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

Get the black opto carrier from swinks.

#4190 3 years ago

Get the black opto carrier from swinks.

Swinks removed all other color options, so Black it is!

#4191 3 years ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

If it works, dont change it. 96% of the posts here seems to opto problem related. Looks silly but alot more reliable I am sure.

#4192 3 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

If it works, dont change it. 96% of the posts here seems to opto problem related. Looks silly but alot more reliable I am sure.

I disagree.

I have achieved 100% reliability.

30 year old games need repairs. Thats all.

Optos and mrs switches are far more reliable than click switches

#4193 3 years ago

I disagree.
I have achieved 100% reliability.
30 year old games need repairs. Thats all.
Optos and mrs switches are far more reliable than click switches

Except when theres too much light, too little light, not enough electrical tape or cardboard, too much electrical tape or cardboard, or not surrounded by the presice shades of plastic. Oh and except when paired with some factory bally boards and some aftermarket boards.

#4194 3 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

Except when theres too much light, too little light, not enough electrical tape or cardboard, too much electrical tape or cardboard, or not surrounded by the presice shades of plastic. Oh and except when paired with some factory bally boards and some aftermarket boards.

Of course youre exaggerating, and it does seem to be a hassle.

Its not really as bad as it seems.

Yes its unfortunate that there are no more short leds.

And equally sad that the 30 year old factory boards are unreliable.

But we as a team got it working quite well.

No tape here.
Relativly easy install.

Used black paper for shroud.

Didnt use a blue carrier.

Worked really well.

So far its perfect.

Should last another 30 years.
At least my game will...

The time expander issues are not enough to throw away a game thats really fun.

#4195 3 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

Trial and error is how you achieve success. 30 years ago, hack operators tore games apart and did stuff like that photo. Now we have modern IR's, 3D printing and pinsiders who test stuff so others will not experience heartburn.

#4196 3 years ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

Hi,

If you need anything, I have all decals scanned and restored.

#4197 3 years ago
Quoted from ClarkKent:

If you need anything, I have all decals scanned and restored.

d'you have decals for under the ramps and decals for apron?

#4198 3 years ago
Quoted from onlydjz:

d'you have decals for under the ramps and decals for apron?

yes

#4199 3 years ago

Could you send me? My nick w gmail.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
£ 110.00
$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

There are 6,575 posts in this topic. You are on page 84 of 132.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-owners-clubtime-lords-welcome/page/84?hl=eyeamred2u and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.