(Topic ID: 76377)

Doctor Who Owners Club.....Time Lords Welcome!

By HoakyPoaky

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,575 posts
  • 445 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 days ago by pinballtoys
  • Topic is favorited by 197 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Dalek7 (resized).JPG
Dalek33 (resized).JPG
Dalek32 (resized).JPG
TheDoctorWhoMiniPlayfieldv1.2.pdf (PDF preview)
Motor 3 (resized).JPG
Wires1 (resized).JPG
Rebuild18 (resized).JPG
GIBuzzBrown (resized).jpg
Back Board lights2 (resized).jpg
20240407_212554 (resized).jpg
DSCF2875 (resized).JPG
DSCF2874 (resized).JPG
Bally_1992_Doctor_Who_Mini_Playfield_Opto_Bank_Paper_Cover_Template.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,575 posts in this topic. You are on page 79 of 132.
#3901 4 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Honestly, that shroud is only necessary if you are not using the 3D printed carrier. It is a pain in the ass to get on, and really looks like crap after a nice resto job. Here is one I made from fishpaper, but did not like it.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Interesting.... My shroud doesn't have "sides"..... But then again, I'm past the point of believing what I see is what should be there. When I took it apart, I also found small pieces of cut up credit cards being used strategically when light must have been interfering with an opto. Classic stuff.....

#3902 4 years ago
Quoted from cmack750:

Interesting.... My shroud doesn't have "sides"..... But then again, I'm past the point of believing what I see is what should be there. When I took it apart, I also found small pieces of cut up credit cards being used strategically when light must have been interfering with an opto. Classic stuff.....

Yep, or a huge pile of greasy decaying electrical tape....

#3903 4 years ago

eyeamred2u You said you didn't use the shroud? You still need it from the looks of it, otherwise the insert lights will cause interference. The swinks opto still has an open back side that is directly open to the insert lights. Can you elaborate?

#3904 4 years ago
Quoted from Xantari:

eyeamred2u You said you didn't use the shroud? You still need it from the looks of it, otherwise the insert lights will cause interference. The swinks opto still has an open back side that is directly open to the insert lights. Can you elaborate?

Read my post.

I ended up putting it on.

Leds are very bright

#3905 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Read my post.
I ended up putting it on.
Leds are very bright

I don't need it. I have zero light interference. Swinks carrier has individual baffles, so the only thing you have to block are the outsides, which electrical tape does a nice job. The shroud is too thick anyways and can get in the way of re-assembly and fit for the MPF. Hey, if you think you need it by all means use it. What works for one may not work for another.

#3906 4 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

I don't need it. I have zero light interference. Swinks carrier has individual baffles, so the only thing you have to block are the outsides, which electrical tape does a nice job. The shroud is too thick anyways and can get in the way of re-assembly and fit for the MPF. Hey, if you think you need it by all means use it. What works for one may not work for another.

I absolutely agree.

These time expanders seem to each have their own personality.

What works for one might not work as well for another.

2 things that I think are universal:

Swinks opto carrier is an absolute must.

High quality and verified 5 opto boards!

My firm choice is the pindorabox.com ones.
They worked well for me. They are very bright and strong.

(Dont get me started on the gulf stream ones... they didnt work for me at all.)

#3907 4 years ago

Sounds good, I did get the pindorabox ones

#3908 4 years ago
Quoted from Xantari:

Sounds good, I did get the pindorabox ones

My pindora box ones (along with motor driver board) have been sitting in New York for more than a week.

Just want to play some dr who. Cmon customs. Wtf.

#3909 4 years ago

I just got mine last week. Was sitting there for almost 2 weeks...

#3910 4 years ago
Quoted from Bospins:

My pindora box ones (along with motor driver board) have been sitting in New York for more than a week.
Just want to play some dr who. Cmon customs. Wtf.

Too bad. They will get it thru. Lots of problems there now.

#3911 4 years ago

It’s true. There are bigger problems in the world than me getting parts to fix my toys.

Still. Would be nice to have it up and running.

#3912 4 years ago
Quoted from vulcan903:

I have the same translite. Would be interested in your lighting colours.

I used comet 2smd frosted sunlight LEDs.

#3913 4 years ago
Quoted from Brypten:

I used comet 2smd frosted sunlight LEDs.

I did too. they are really nice.
I also used the 5smd towers for all the flashers in the game, they are amazing!

#3914 4 years ago

I've heard there are issues with the cliffy's pulling away from the MPF. I'm thinking of sinking the tnuts down slightly (just 1/16 of an inch or so), and filling in the four front holes with clear epoxy and sanding it smooth for even more contact with the adhesive. Additionally, this should prevent tnut movement tearing up the cliffy protector adhesive strip in the event I have to do opto service work again and unscrew the opto carrier from the MPF.

Overkill?

#3915 4 years ago

yes.

Utimately the cliffy will get replaced.

Dont worry about it.

The MPF takes an amazing amount of abuse.

Just replace the Cliffy when its time.

#3916 4 years ago
Quoted from Xantari:

I've heard there are issues with the cliffy's pulling away from the MPF. I'm thinking of sinking the tnuts down slightly (just 1/16 of an inch or so), and filling in the four front holes with clear epoxy and sanding it smooth for even more contact with the adhesive. Additionally, this should prevent tnut movement tearing up the cliffy protector adhesive strip in the event I have to do opto service work again and unscrew the opto carrier from the MPF.
Overkill?

Nah, if you clean it properly, the Cliffy protectors stay in place. The Tnuts are a non issue. I have taken out the mpf so many times, those tnuts aren't even in the way. I have seen a case where I did a service call on a DW and the owner tried to service the MPF and unscrewed it and then raised it up, ripping the cliffy and peeling the painted pf, now that was a disaster.

#3917 4 years ago

I can see what you mean about trimming the MPF, the new one has about 3-4 mm of extra length on the front compared to my old one. You can see that is fairly apparent just by looking at the holes on the cliffy on the old versus the new.

New Playfield Cliffy (resized).jpegNew Playfield Cliffy (resized).jpegOld PlayfieldCliffy (resized).jpegOld PlayfieldCliffy (resized).jpeg
#3918 4 years ago
Quoted from Xantari:

I can see what you mean about trimming the MPF, the new one has about 3-4 mm of extra length on the front compared to my old one. You can see that is fairly apparent just by looking at the holes on the cliffy on the old versus the new.[quoted image][quoted image]

Yep, a lttle rework and drill a couple holes.

Put a mylar on it.

Yer done!

#3919 4 years ago

Any tips on doctor who test report is saying no clock work movement. Not sure what to do at this point we have put all new optos. Made sure the time expander is going up and down smoothly but still the same issue thanks.

#3920 4 years ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

Any tips on doctor who test report is saying no clock work movement. Not sure what to do at this point we have put all new optos. Made sure the time expander is going up and down smoothly but still the same issue thanks.

Edit found the problem bad diode on the bidirectional motor drive board.

#3921 4 years ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

Edit found the problem bad diode on the bidirectional motor drive board.

Nice detective work.

20181226_144721 (resized).jpg20181226_144721 (resized).jpg
#3922 4 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Nah, if you clean it properly, the Cliffy protectors stay in place. The Tnuts are a non issue. I have taken out the mpf so many times, those tnuts aren't even in the way. I have seen a case where I did a service call on a DW and the owner tried to service the MPF and unscrewed it and then raised it up, ripping the cliffy and peeling the painted pf, now that was a disaster.

It just seems that the front of the time expander assembly always gets the crap beat out of it no matter what you do and will consistently need maintenance and/or cleaning after hundreds of plays.

#3923 4 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

It just seems that the front of the time expander assembly always gets the crap beat out of it no matter what you do and will consistently need maintenance and/or cleaning after hundreds of plays.

not really constantly, but it does take a serious beating!

#3924 4 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Nice detective work.[quoted image]

any progress on that thing?

#3925 4 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Let's take a step back. With Cliffy's protectors, sleeves, and a proper Faz's guide rebuild, the unit will hold up longer than what was originally designed. If you add Ulf's linear kit and the new motor controller, even longer. The mushroom targets take a beating for sure, but they are replaceable now with 3D printing. I am not minimizing the beating it takes during gameplay, but remember, if it is a game you are keeping, routing cleaning and care will make the game play for another 25 years.

#3926 4 years ago

Hi friends
Been slowly shopping my new to me dr who and working thru all the issues.

I got all the GI working, had to resin a few connectors.

Question ... none of the flashers are working in test. I replaced f111 which was installed as 7a, should have been 5, so nice to have it be correct but obviously didn’t solve the problem.

I’m diggin thru the manual and schematics but any ideas or advice you have on where to poke or prod would be most welcome

Thanks gents.
Rich

#3927 4 years ago
Quoted from Bospins:

Hi friends
Been slowly shopping my new to me dr who and working thru all the issues.
I got all the GI working, had to resin a few connectors.
Question ... none of the flashers are working in test. I replaced f111 which was installed as 7a, should have been 5, so nice to have it be correct but obviously didn’t solve the problem.
I’m diggin thru the manual and schematics but any ideas or advice you have on where to poke or prod would be most welcome
Thanks gents.
Rich

Do they flash with the coin door button pressed, in test?

#3928 4 years ago

Flashers are on the solenoid table.

Hm...solenoids (flippers, pops, kickers) all working fine.

#3929 4 years ago
Quoted from Bospins:

Hm...solenoids (flippers, pops, kickers) all working fine.

White Coin door button pressed during test?

Door open disables high power.

#3930 4 years ago

White Coin door button pressed during test?
Door open diables high power.

Oh, I’ll check that...

Flippers / solenoids were still workin with coin door open tho.

#3931 4 years ago
Quoted from Bospins:

Oh, I’ll check that...
Flippers / solenoids were still workin with coin door open tho.

On DW some stuff works, other stuff does not with the door open.

Its a little weird. Later games disable the coils too with the door open.

They have 2 door switches.

DW has only one interlock switch.

#3932 4 years ago

On DW some stuff works, other stuff does not with the door open.
Its a little weird. Later games disable the coils too with the door open.
They have 2 door switches.
DW has only one interlock switch.

Tried holding in the door switch, no joy...

All other ideas welcomed

FYI - I started a topic in the main forum.

#3933 4 years ago

Have all transistors been tested on the driver board?

#3934 4 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Have all transistors been tested on the driver board?

no... but for all the flashers to not work, they’d all have to be blown. That would be sad.

#3935 4 years ago
Quoted from Bospins:

no... but for all the flashers to not work, they’d all have to be blown. That would be sad.

LED 5 on driver board is for 20volts. No LED 5 lit, no flashers.

Look for cracked solder pads.

Maybe coin door switch is bad, can always bypass it and see if lights turn on or blow F111

Get out your multimeter and manual and start checking for correct voltages on Driver board and connectors.

#3936 4 years ago
Quoted from Bospins:

Check voltage at J107 pin 5 for most flashers or pin 6 for power

J126 and J125 for data.

sounds like you have no 20v circuit.

Maybe Br4 or a bad cap there? or both.

Pinwiki time!

#3937 4 years ago

I checked the 20v test point...nothing.

Looked at schematic...since f111 is good, must be that br4 gave up the ghost. (Note that this could have been some time ago as I’ve never seen the flashers work)

The previous fuse f111 was rated 2 amps too high...maybe over time that stressed the bridge? Who knows.

Will this sucker work in place of the old part?

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Micro-Commercial-Components-MCC/MP358W-BP?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtQ8nqTKtFS%2FGpqC7CzqsmFo6XxJKN3lEY%3D

#3938 4 years ago

...I think the circled one on the right is led 5, which confirms the no 20v bad br4.

Should I be concerned about leds 2 and 3? Looking at the schematic it appears they light up when some jumpers are installed, which are clearly not installed.

CA0A4F1D-7D7D-4C10-86CD-CF02CB39C5CD (resized).jpegCA0A4F1D-7D7D-4C10-86CD-CF02CB39C5CD (resized).jpeg
#3939 4 years ago
Quoted from Bospins:

...I think the circled one on the right is led 5, which confirms the no 20v bad br4.
Should I be concerned about leds 2 and 3? Looking at the schematic it appears they light up when some jumpers are installed, which are clearly not installed.[quoted image]

Check for continuity between the negative lead of BR4 and the negative lead of cap C11. Hard to believe BR4 is bad here

#3940 4 years ago

Figured I'd share my Mini Playfield (MPF) mylar cutout DXF and Fusion 360 files.

Additionally, there is a ready to cut project publicly visible for a Cricut Maker if you have one.

This one is smaller then the one that was on there originally (factory??). The one I had was cut too large, and went over the T-Nuts, which allowed for dirt / grime to get underneath the mylar. This one does not touch the T-Nuts.

Here are the links:

Fusion 360 and DXF files:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iTLH7fyO-5GCHlFhgvk5jZjf5SBj_5aP

Cricut Project:

https://design.cricut.com/landing/project-detail/5e893b768e77390cd0f3ec1f
IMG_0291 (resized).jpgIMG_0291 (resized).jpg2020-04-04_21-08-46 (resized).png2020-04-04_21-08-46 (resized).png

#3941 4 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Check for continuity between the negative lead of BR4 and the negative lead of cap C11. Hard to believe BR4 is bad here

Will do this in the morning. Why skeptical of br4?

#3942 4 years ago
Quoted from Xantari:

Figured I'd share my Mini Playfield (MPF) mylar cutout DXF and Fusion 360 files.
Additionally, there is a ready to cut project publicly visible for a Cricut Maker if you have one.
Here are the links:
Fusion 360 and DXF files:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iTLH7fyO-5GCHlFhgvk5jZjf5SBj_5aP
Cricut Project:
https://design.cricut.com/landing/project-detail/5e893b768e77390cd0f3ec1f[quoted image][quoted image]

The original mylar was wider, did you consider making it wider?

#3943 4 years ago
Quoted from Bospins:

It is a tough component that does not often fail here. Usually C11 blows or prior board work in this area fails and may have to jumper C11 and BR4

#3944 4 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

The original mylar was wider, did you consider making it wider?

Yes the original was wider, but the problem with the original was that it went over the T-Nuts, on mine the dirt got underneath that area and started lifting from the MPF. So I figured it would be better to not have it go over the T-Nuts.

But now that I think about it, if I ever want to remove it, it's going to be harder. Hmm.

#3945 4 years ago

I just measured the original. It appears to be 140 mm wide. Mine is 131 mm wide.

IMG_0292 (resized).jpgIMG_0292 (resized).jpg
#3946 4 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

It is a tough component that does not often fail here. Usually C11 blows or prior board work in this area fails and may have to jumper C11 and BR4

Great.

I’ll pull the board and take a look. This board has had some work done previously so it might look...interesting under there.

#3947 4 years ago
Quoted from Xantari:

I just measured the original. It appears to be 140 mm wide. Mine is 131 mm wide.[quoted image]

Just make it exactly like the original.
Its ok if it goes over the t-nuts.

#3948 4 years ago
Quoted from Bospins:

Id just replace both, 30 year old caps and parts....

#3949 4 years ago

Id just replace both, 30 year old caps and parts....

The diode check on many meters should help determine if that bridge is ok. While those large caps can definitely age I don’t usually see any of those bridges fail unless overfused. I think it was mentioned that it was slightly overfused. Even so if the higher value fuse was less than the current rating of the bridge then there is a good chance it’s ok.

If you replace the caps be careful not to damage the board or through hole plating. Safest method I’ve found is add extra fresh solder on each lead so there is plenty for heat transfer. Then use TWO irons and heat up both leads. Have a helper pull the cap. You can use the desolder station and solder wick to clean up afterwards. Same goes for the Large two caps on the sound board. So far I’ve never had any issues this way.

I’ve fixed a few driver boards and a lot of the sound boards. On those with prior work almost all were damaged when someone had tried to recap or install bridges. The leads on the caps are often press fit and even trying to desolder first the plating gets ripped out. Doesn’t seem to happen using the two irons method.

#3950 4 years ago

Here is the 140mm version which mirrors the original.

Fusion 360 and .DXF:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1G0_o8Fxh-45FBu_hch0gUJMPJ3yBVrih

Cricut:

https://design.cricut.com/landing/project-detail/5e89d2d7de49110b747b6fe4

IMG_0293 (resized).jpgIMG_0293 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
£ 110.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 6,575 posts in this topic. You are on page 79 of 132.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-owners-clubtime-lords-welcome/page/79?hl=bospins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.