(Topic ID: 76377)

Doctor Who Owners Club.....Time Lords Welcome!

By HoakyPoaky

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,575 posts
  • 445 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by pinballtoys
  • Topic is favorited by 197 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Dalek7 (resized).JPG
Dalek33 (resized).JPG
Dalek32 (resized).JPG
TheDoctorWhoMiniPlayfieldv1.2.pdf (PDF preview)
Motor 3 (resized).JPG
Wires1 (resized).JPG
Rebuild18 (resized).JPG
GIBuzzBrown (resized).jpg
Back Board lights2 (resized).jpg
20240407_212554 (resized).jpg
DSCF2875 (resized).JPG
DSCF2874 (resized).JPG
Bally_1992_Doctor_Who_Mini_Playfield_Opto_Bank_Paper_Cover_Template.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,575 posts in this topic. You are on page 77 of 132.
#3801 4 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Looking for some info if anyone has had this same issue. I get optos registering when they shouldn't. In switch test if I slam both flippers repeatedly I get intermittent triggering of all 10 optos at the same time. Just a flicker. If I slam/hit/nudge/shake the game it doesn't do it. Only with both flippers.
Certainly seems like a power issue since they all trigger exactly together.
What I've done:
- Line voltage is good (through a voltage regulator to make sure). Game never resets anyway.
- Checked power(12v) continuity from PDB to 10-opto board and it's good. Voltage at opto board is same as TP1 on PDB.
- The unregulated 12v was a bit low(around 11v) so I replaced BR5 and C30 and now it's up around 14.3v and doesn't dip.
- I've installed a separate power supply for the accessories (lit buttons, ColorDMD, extra LEDs) just to make sure I wasn't straining the 12v.
- In the special system test/check it tells me all these switches(optos) are bouncy.
Other than re-pinning all the opto board connectors does anyone have any suggestion? I don't have housings or pins. Game plays anyway just annoying that I can hear it register switches when they aren't getting hit. Especially annoying to see the DMD animation for the ramp entry all the time.
Cheers

For the optos, some have placed straws over the IR's to limit the beam from straying. Seems like.excess voltage is leaking from your flippers.

#3802 4 years ago
Quoted from Xantari:

For that matter, does someone know if it is documented somewhere on all the post types and where they were placed on the playfield? I scanned the Dr Who manual and didn't see anything.

Pretty much all the posts are available.

There is one page in the manual that lists them all.

Its easy to miss, but its there.

Also i used the BOM list from ipdb.com for some info.

Marco is great at showing part numbers seperately on assemblies. This is really helpful.

The center target for tha MPF is not available but the regular one worked goid enough for me with a little adjusting.

#3803 4 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

For the optos, some have placed straws over the IR's to limit the beam from straying. Seems like.excess voltage is leaking from your flippers.

It’s not an opto issue. All 10 optos trigger exactly together. So far my “fix” has been to boost line voltage to 127 through a voltage regulator. I have a feeling that replacing all the caps on the PDB may be the solution. After seeing the major improvement in the unregulated 12v following a cap replacement, my guess is I am getting AC leakage in the regulated 12v which is associated with the optos.

I disconnected the flipper power just to test the flipper switches and they don’t trigger the optos. It’s only in that fraction of a second that I have a high power demand (all 3 flippers). I noticed the optos all triggered together when my bar fridge started up today (same circuit - can’t be changed).

My other pins don’t have that problem so it’s a hyper sensitivity to power dips on the DW. I will recap the reg 12v and 5v. Running at 127vac is a bandaid solution that doesn’t address the root cause(like putting a no-more reset board in your game lol).

#3804 4 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

It’s not an opto issue. All 10 optos trigger exactly together. So far my “fix” has been to boost line voltage to 127 through a voltage regulator. I have a feeling that replacing all the caps on the PDB may be the solution. After seeing the major improvement in the unregulated 12v following a cap replacement, my guess is I am getting AC leakage in the regulated 12v which is associated with the optos.
I disconnected the flipper power just to test the flipper switches and they don’t trigger the optos. It’s only in that fraction of a second that I have a high power demand (all 3 flippers). I noticed the optos all triggered together when my bar fridge started up today (same circuit - can’t be changed).
My other pins don’t have that problem so it’s a hyper sensitivity to power dips on the DW. I will recap the reg 12v and 5v. Running at 127vac is a bandaid solution that doesn’t address the root cause(like putting a no-more reset board in your game lol).

Definitely rebuild the power/driver board.

If you have bad power a variac should be installed.

This will stabilize the power very effectively.

I have them on my games as my power is terrible.

2000w 130v AC

ebay.com link: itm

Replacing my 10 opto board and all of the optos solved my phantom opto closures when flippers were pressed.

After rebuilding my driver board, i still had some phantom closures when flippers were pressed. Replacing th he optos was the next step.

Its all perfect now.

#3805 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Definitely rebuild the power/driver board.
If you have bad power a variac should be installed.
This will stabilize the power very effectively.
I have them on my games as my power is terrible.
2000w 130v AC
ebay.com link
Replacing my 10 opto board and all of the optos solved my phantom opto closures when flippers were pressed.
After rebuilding my driver board, i still had some phantom closures when flippers were pressed. Replacing th he optos was the next step.
Its all perfect now.

What I am using does the same as your variac but instead of being infinitely variable, mine has 3 settings. 105, 120, and 127VAC. It's also preventing the odd reset on STTNG. New problems since I moved my games to this room which is the furthest point from the power panel. DMM shows the voltage to be at about 118-119 on average. Probably dips much lower for a fraction of a second when demand goes up (fridge, coils, etc).

I plan on doing the cab decals next week so I'll rebuild the PDB at the same time.

I'd rather not change the 10-opto board and all optos. May change the cap on the 10-opto board too. The boards are almost 30 years old. Seems reasonable to see dried up electrolytic capacitors...

#3806 4 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

What I am using does the same as your variac but instead of being infinitely variable, mine has 3 settings. 105, 120, and 127VAC. It's also preventing the odd reset on STTNG. New problems since I moved my games to this room which is the furthest point from the power panel. DMM shows the voltage to be at about 118-119 on average. Probably dips much lower for a fraction of a second when demand goes up (fridge, coils, etc).
I plan on doing the cab decals next week so I'll rebuild the PDB at the same time.
I'd rather not change the 10-opto board and all optos. May change the cap on the 10-opto board too. The boards are almost 30 years old. Seems reasonable to see dried up electrolytic capacitors...

I felt the same way.

In the end i replaced the 30 year old parts.

#3807 4 years ago

Here's one for you experts:

After changing out my Tardis coil which was working intermittently, I couldn't get the ball launch button to work at all. Switch tests show that it is indeed working. However, my test report was saying opto 5 on the mini playfield (#74) should be checked. In switch test mode, all of the other mini playfield optos light up the switch test fine, but this one (#74) is rapidly flashing and not registering when I break the beam. The other ones are all solid as they should be. Looking at the switch matrix, the ball launch is in the same row as #74. I'm thinking that the constant pulsing is causing it not to recognize the actual press of the ball launch button when in normal gameplay mode.

So far, I've replaced all of the LM339's on the opto board and re-flowed all of the joints, checked all the diodes and traces. The opto board seems fine. I've also put in new leds and photo-leds. This Doctor has a rottendog board in it. No corrosion on the board or connectors.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

#3808 4 years ago
Quoted from Sponge:

Here's one for you experts:
After changing out my Tardis coil which was working intermittently, I couldn't get the ball launch button to work at all. Switch tests show that it is indeed working. However, my test report was saying opto 5 on the mini playfield (#74) should be checked. In switch test mode, all of the other mini playfield optos light up the switch test fine, but this one (#74) is rapidly flashing and not registering when I break the beam. The other ones are all solid as they should be. Looking at the switch matrix, the ball launch is in the same row as #74. I'm thinking that the constant pulsing is causing it not to recognize the actual press of the ball launch button when in normal gameplay mode.
So far, I've replaced all of the LM339's on the opto board and re-flowed all of the joints, checked all the diodes and traces. The opto board seems fine. I've also put in new leds and photo-leds. This Doctor has a rottendog board in it. No corrosion on the board or connectors.
Any ideas?
Thanks!

Unplug the opto carrier connector.
Does the ball launch work?

#3809 4 years ago

Solved it! Us usual, it's the simplest things that we overlook. Somehow, a bulb socket was touching one of the left drain switch legs. Moved it and all is good now. Surprised no fuse had blown.

Thanks for trying to help pinabblinrino.

#3810 4 years ago
Quoted from Sponge:

Solved it! Us usual, it's the simplest things that we overlook. Somehow, a bulb socket was touching one of the left drain switch legs. Moved it and all is good now. Surprised no fuse had blown.
Thanks for trying to help pinabblinrino.

your welcome!

Glad you sorted it out.

#3811 4 years ago

I have 2 backbox illumination questions:
1) the black sockets in the backbox. What kind of bulbs go in there (flashers?) and what will test them in the menu?
2) there is a “diamond” of bulbs in the upper middle 3x3 grid (the dim ones in the pic)...can’t get these to illuminate. What should cause them to illuminate in the test?

Also - Time expander is under deconstruction/ reconstruction...pray for me

5CDB2D4B-0572-4BEE-8621-D9BEA55F43F7 (resized).jpeg5CDB2D4B-0572-4BEE-8621-D9BEA55F43F7 (resized).jpeg1F56B1E4-CF40-46D6-8D94-6518D581477E (resized).jpeg1F56B1E4-CF40-46D6-8D94-6518D581477E (resized).jpeg
#3812 4 years ago
Quoted from Bospins:

I have 2 backbox illumination questions:
1) the black sockets in the backbox. What kind of bulbs go in there (flashers?) and what will test them in the menu?
2) there is a “diamond” of bulbs in the upper middle 3x3 grid (the dim ones in the pic)...can’t get these to illuminate. What should cause them to illuminate in the test?
Also - Time expander is under deconstruction/ reconstruction...pray for me[quoted image][quoted image]

The black sockets are 12v flashers. #906 or 5LED 12v towers (note these LEDS are polarized and need to be tested as such when installing).

They flash when a doctor is selected and match the speaker doctors from 1 to 7.

This of course means the original translite doctors.

In test menu the are in the flashers section and match doctors 1-7.

The diamond are controlled and do light up in attract mode as well in the all lights + flashers test.

I used a 6v power source to test the circuits in the back panel while I assembled it and a 9-10v for the flashers.
This way I know they worked.

In fact I tested every single light board in a similar fashion before installing them on the playfield.
That way there were no surprises.

The time expander is a trip to hell and back with rewards in the end if you survive it.

#3813 4 years ago

The black sockets are 12v flashers. #906 or 5LED 12v towers (note these LEDS are polarized and need to be tested as such when installing).
They flash when a doctor is selected and match the speaker doctors from 1 to 7.
This of course means the original translite doctors.
In test menu the are in the flashers section and match doctors 1-7.
The diamond are controlled and do light up in attract mode as well in the all lights + flashers test.
I used a 6v power source to test the circuits in the back panel while I assembled it and a 9-10v for the flashers.
This way I know they worked.
In fact I tested every single light board in a similar fashion before installing them on the playfield.
That way there were no surprises.
The time expander is a trip to hell and back with rewards in the end if you survive it.

This is an amazing and comprehensive response. Thanks.

And I’m hoping my time expander experience won’t be terrible because of all the posts I read in this thread!

#3814 4 years ago
Quoted from Bospins:

And I’m hoping my time expander experience won’t be terrible because of all the posts I read in this thread!

Uh huh....me too!

Be brave lol.

#3815 4 years ago

So I bought a bunch of plastics from pinball center. They are OK, but now i'm kinda wishing I could get some of the more front and center plastics in higher quality. In particular the two dalek plastics on the slings. Couldn't find anything at Marco or Pinball Life.

But did find them at Ministry of Pinball.

Any ideas on the quality of the Dr Who Slingshots set at Ministry of Pinball?

https://www.ministryofpinball.com/en/catalog/product/view/id/6760/s/dr-who-slingshot-set/category/114/

#3816 4 years ago
Quoted from Xantari:

So I bought a bunch of plastics from pinball center. They are OK, but now i'm kinda wishing I could get some of the more front and center plastics in higher quality. In particular the two dalek plastics on the slings. Couldn't find anything at Marco or Pinball Life.
https://www.ministryofpinball.com/en/catalog/product/view/id/6760/s/dr-who-slingshot-set/category/114/

They are just fine.

#3817 4 years ago

They are just fine.

They are good, just like @pinballreno said.

#3818 4 years ago

So... Being firmly ensconced at home like most of the world at present... It seemed a good time to break in the new resin based 3D printer.

And what would be a good test, that is also useful? Or at the least, really cool? Perhaps some new playfield posts for Doctor Who!

Now just have to figure out the best way to light them.

IMG_8494 (resized).JPGIMG_8494 (resized).JPGIMG_8482 (resized).JPGIMG_8482 (resized).JPG
#3820 4 years ago

That is awesome. Really nice job.

#3821 4 years ago

Love those posts!

#3823 4 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeTechNerd:

So... Being firmly ensconced at home like most of the world at present... It seemed a good time to break in the new resin based 3D printer.
And what would be a good test, that is also useful? Or at the least, really cool? Perhaps some new playfield posts for Doctor Who!
Now just have to figure out the best way to light them.[quoted image][quoted image]

Pretty cool!

#3824 4 years ago
Quoted from cadmium:

Did you use my design? Nice looking prints!

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3275089

Indeed I did. I was just looking up the Thingiverse link since someone had asked for the .STL.

And yes, they came out very well! Looking forward to getting them installed on Doctor Who!

Thanks!

#3825 4 years ago
Quoted from Bospins:

That is awesome. Really nice job.

Can't take the credit for these, found them on Thingiverse. They are cool tho!

The link to the .STL file for these was posted by the author a couple of messages back.

#3826 4 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeTechNerd:

Indeed I did. I was just looking up the Thingiverse link since someone had asked for the .STL.
And yes, they came out very well! Looking forward to getting them installed on Doctor Who!
Thanks!

I have a resin printer and I would think they would be too brittle to get bashed by a steel ball. Can’t wait to hear from you.

#3827 4 years ago

I was getting slow ball returns from shooter lane launch to the tardis popper.

I pulled out the ball popper ramp (subway) and found a raised lip on the end/edge.

I just filed it flat and hammered the dent out a little better.

I guess i didn't notice it when i hamnered out the "ball drop" dent in it during the restoration.

So if you are getting slow launch returns or a ball hang in the subway, this is probably the cause.

Sorry no pics this time...

The ball returns like a champ now.

#3828 4 years ago

When I first replaced all the rubber rings I had issues with the ball return because some of the replacement rubber pieces were thicker. Also had one on the slingshot break shortly afterwards. Ended up putting yellow supper bands all the way around (blue on the sling shots) and no more issues.

#3829 4 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

When I first replaced all the rubber rings I had issues with the ball return because some of the replacement rubber pieces were thicker. Also had one on the slingshot break shortly afterwards. Ended up putting yellow supper bands all the way around (blue on the sling shots) and no more issues.

The ball was hanging up in the subway. I had to nudge the game to get the ball into the tardis upkicker.

#3830 4 years ago

Anyone know the size or part # of this little mf’er? This is the c clip that holds the mushroom targets to the carrier.

Cat knocked one off the workbench and I can’t find it anywhere.

Also can’t exactly go to the hardware store at the moment.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#3831 4 years ago

...would a standard .25” e ring do it?

#3832 4 years ago

...found the drawing

Carry on!!

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#3833 4 years ago
Quoted from Bospins:

...found the drawing
Carry on!![quoted image]

run a magnet or a magnetic parts dish all over the floor until you find it.

Ask me how I know this....

#3834 4 years ago

Just installed a new Lamp board from Pinshakers for the 7 Doctors in cool white LED's.

Amazing product, lights up the doctors better than regular and LED 555's. The doctors feel more like a part of the game, rather than an afterthought. It is hard to see in my pics, but I will post a video later tonight. Installs easily over the standard clips, the plug has been moved, but not a big problem.
20200326_110906 (resized).jpg20200326_110906 (resized).jpg20200326_111008 (resized).jpg20200326_111008 (resized).jpg

#3835 4 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Just installed a new Lamp board from Pinshakers for the 7 Doctors in cool white LED's.
Amazing product, lights up the doctors better than regular and LED 555's. The doctors feel more like a part of the game, rather than an afterthought. It is hard to see in my pics, but I will post a video later tonight. Installs easily over the standard clips, the plug has been moved, but not a big problem.[quoted image][quoted image]

Looks great!
Is there a link?

Its not on their site yet.

#3836 4 years ago

Pictures don't do this alternate justice. Looks amazing

IMG_20200311_094547 (resized).jpgIMG_20200311_094547 (resized).jpg
#3837 4 years ago

Looks great!
Is there a link?

No, its hard to see how amazing it is in person. I am sure it will be up soon, I was one of the first trial runs for this board. Did a great job on it! The doctors are now vibrant, the whole doctor is lit up, not just a small area. My girlfriend could not believe the difference and she said, now the person playing notices the doctors right away and wants to know which one to select.

#3838 4 years ago
Quoted from Brypten:

Pictures don't do this alternate justice. Looks amazing[quoted image]

We love that translite!
Its so modern and really finishes off the game.

#3839 4 years ago

We love that translite!
Its so modern and really finishes off the game.

I've got the same one on my game. One of the best updates and I think the light show still works with it. Kept my original rolled up that stays with the game. Just need to get the LED ColorDMD at some point

#3840 4 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

I've got the same one on my game. One of the best updates and I think the light show still works with it. Kept my original rolled up that stays with the game. Just need to get the LED ColorDMD at some point

I compared both the lcd and led versions side by side.

I liked the led version in my DW the best.

Its brighter and way more vivid.
It adds the exact bright colors needed with the alt translite and black trim i did.

I also added the ledocd.

Like others have said. Its like night and day.

#3841 4 years ago

I compared both the lcd and led versions side by side.
I liked the led version in my DW the best.
Its brighter and way more vivid.
It adds the exact bright colors needed with the alt translite and black trim i did.
I also added the ledocd.
Like others have said. Its like night and day.

My preference is toward the LED version. While the LCD does look nice too I’m not a fan of what it takes to install the larger LCD screen. The LED looks like a direct replacement and easily undone if desired. Great to hear it looks good in the game.

#3842 4 years ago

Can someone verify the connector colors and order for J122 on the Driver boards and the Bi- Directional Motor, plug J1.

#3843 4 years ago

Looks great!
Is there a link?

Hello,

I just added this to our pinside shop. We are no longer taking direct requests, so you will need to go through the pinside shop to purchase one of our light boards. The price has been increased slightly to cover an increase in manufacturing costs as well as the pinside and paypal fees.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1206-pinshakers/03614-doctor-who-led-light-board

Best Regards,

Robert Goebel
Pinshakers
www.pinshakers.com

#3844 4 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Can someone verify the connector colors and order for J122 on the Driver boards and the Bi- Directional Motor, plug J1.

Here ya go!

20200326_180556 (resized).jpg20200326_180556 (resized).jpg20200326_181307 (resized).jpg20200326_181307 (resized).jpg
#3845 4 years ago
Quoted from robgo777:

Hello,
I just added this to our pinside shop. We are no longer taking direct requests, so you will need to go through the pinside shop to purchase one of our light boards. The price has been increased slightly to cover an increase in manufacturing costs as well as the pinside and paypal fees.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1206-pinshakers/03614-doctor-who-led-light-board
Best Regards,
Robert Goebel
Pinshakers
www.pinshakers.com

Thanks!

Now how do I decide between cool or warm white?

#3846 4 years ago

I hadnt opened the backbox for awhile.

Man, it really got packed!
Hardly any room for a GIOCD board! Coming next.
20200326_180714 (resized).jpg20200326_180714 (resized).jpg
LED OCD on the bottom, Pinsound shaker up top and on the right.
Anything more will have to go on the left wall...

#3847 4 years ago

Here ya go![quoted image][quoted image]

Thank you, that is not what I have. But I will fix it

#3848 4 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Thank you, that is not what I have. But I will fix it

Good luck !
Let us know if it worked out.

#3849 4 years ago
Quoted from Xantari:

Upload a photo when you recieve them. The colors on the marco slingshot plastics are washed out.

#3850 4 years ago

Update: fixed the mpf so all opto now see the top, middle and bottom positions.

Waiting for wire so i can re wire the 5 mushroom targets and other wires back to MPU. So many broken wires, it is just easier to replace.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

£ 110.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 40.00
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 6,575 posts in this topic. You are on page 77 of 132.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-owners-clubtime-lords-welcome/page/77?hl=yellowghost and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.