(Topic ID: 76377)

Doctor Who Owners Club.....Time Lords Welcome!

By HoakyPoaky

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8F059034-AED6-4CD0-A63B-68703F33C57E (resized).png
2BB87EE1-5698-430F-9904-4F97683F83C2 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
DSCF2747 (resized).JPG
IMG_0498 (resized).JPG
Tardis99 (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2024-01-28 at 1.31.59 pm (resized).png
il_1140xN.2008045654_bplp (resized).jpg
IMG_7156 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7155 (resized).jpeg
421735202_7550654594958757_8318301814228353514_n (resized).jpg
421727425_7550654341625449_209651123817121918_n (resized).jpg
421731484_7550654938292056_4147915032710083979_n (resized).jpg
421723578_7550654091625474_5367988788185483827_n (resized).jpg
20240117_191816 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,511 posts in this topic. You are on page 74 of 131.
#3651 4 years ago

Well, I'm out of ideas at this point as to what could be wrong with my middle target on the time expander. A new 10 onto board didn't fix the problem like I thought it would. I've found that if I unplug the optos under the playfield (the 12 molex connector) then plug it back in, the switch works fine for a few seconds, then starts freaking out, then stops working completely. Take a look at these two YouTube videos I took to see what I'm dealing with. Has anyone ever saw this type of behavior before? I've checked all continuity from the opto board to the CPU and all connections are solid. I've also replaced the sender and receiver optos with new ones.

Here is video of what happens when I plug the optos in and don't touch anything:

Here is a video showing the middle time expander switch working for a second and then stopping:

So frustrating.....

#3652 4 years ago
Quoted from Jakers:

Well, I'm out of ideas at this point as to what could be wrong with my middle target on the time expander. A new 10 onto board didn't fix the problem like I thought it would. I've found that if I unplug the optos under the playfield (the 12 molex connector) then plug it back in, the switch works fine for a few seconds, then starts freaking out, then stops working completely. Take a look at these two YouTube videos I took to see what I'm dealing with. Has anyone ever saw this type of behavior before? I've checked all continuity from the opto board to the CPU and all connections are solid. I've also replaced the sender and receiver optos with new ones.
Here is video of what happens when I plug the optos in and don't touch anything:

Here is a video showing the middle time expander switch working for a second and then stopping:

So frustrating.....

This is an easy one.
I have seen it dozens if times.

You are very close to perfection!

The optos are very slightly out of alignment on that switch.

Flickering is a sign that a slight amount of light is leaking past the interrupter or reflecting off something.

Push the led slightly up towards the top or mushroom switch side of the box.

You do this with the pc board mounted to the carrier with the 4 screws.

They bend very slightly, but enough to make adjustments. Dont break them off.

Or bend more towards the center of the interrupter.

Pull out the balls.
Lift the playfield and lean it all the way back onto the back box.

Fish out the plug for the opto carrier.

Test the assembled opto carrier live outside of the MPF assembly by itself with the machine on in test mode.

Its hard to see the DMD but you can hear the test.

You can plug it in and out live with the game running, it wont hurt it.

When your satisfied its perfect, reassemble the time expander.

Dont install it onto the playfield yet.

Set it in the bottom cabinet, plug only the opto harness in again to see if it changed.

If its all good, reinstall the time expander back onto the playfield.

Use black paper for the shroud.

All of the switches are proven to work, just need to be tweaked a tiny bit.

Youre almost there!

#3653 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

This is an easy one.
Flickering is a sign that a slight amount of light is leaking past the interrupter or reflecting off something.
Test the assembled opto carrirr live outside of the MPF assembly by itself with the machine on in test mode.
Set it in the bottom cabinet, plug only the opto harness in again to see if it changed.
Youre almost there!

I have had all 5 switches doing this constantly with the gulf stream boards.

Took hours of tweaking then they change when clamped down on tbe MPF.

Frustrating isnt a strong enough word for this...

#3654 4 years ago

Game still going strong!
Infinite thanks to all who helped![quoted image]

I'm going for that translite soon.

#3655 4 years ago
Quoted from vulcan903:

I'm going for that translite soon.

I really like it!

Pinballgoddess picked it out and says it really modernizes the game.

She was not a fan of the 7 older dudes in amber...lol

#3656 4 years ago

Ill have to say it again.

Rich Fazio is a GOD!

Thanks again for the guide.

I spiral bound mine.
It lives in the game now.

#3657 4 years ago

I bought a new 10-way-opto and new motor driver board..

Hopefully I have a working machine soon..

#3658 4 years ago
Quoted from Jakers:

So frustrating.....

Is that the LED or LCD DMD ?

#3659 4 years ago

This is an easy one.
Pull out the balls.
Lift the playfield and lean it all the way back onto the back box.
Fish out the plug for the opto carrier.
Test the assembled opto carrier live outside of the MPF assembly by itself with the machine on in test mode.
Its hard to see the DMD but you can hear the test.
Youre almost there!

Thanks for the info. I'll try adjusting it tonight and report back.

Quoted from ignat:

Is that the LED or LCD DMD ?

That's the LED version. I have both LCD and LED in my lineup and prefer the LED version. It fits into certain games easier because of its size and it costs a bit less than LCD.

#3660 4 years ago
Quoted from ignat:

I bought a new 10-way-opto and new motor driver board..
Hopefully I have a working machine soon..

Its a good start.
Mine were trashed from a lot of repairs, so i did the same.

#3661 4 years ago

Update #2: More broken wires found tied to 5 target mushroom optos. Also found mashed molex pins that I never thought to change. Slowly getting there.

#3662 4 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Update #2: More broken wires found tied to 5 target mushroom optos. Also found mashed molex pins that I never thought to change. Slowly getting there.

Keep at it!
Its all uphill from here....! Lol.

But so worth it.

#3663 4 years ago

Keep at it!
Its all uphill from here....! Lol.
But so worth it.

I know, the one pin I take in for a quick shop job, turns out to be the biggest PITA.

#3664 4 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

I know, the one pin I take in for a quick shop job, turns out to be the biggest PITA.

Yep, that'll teach ya

The pinball gods often frown upon me too.

They get mad if i work against chaos and destruction...

#3665 4 years ago

I recently moved my Doctor Who into my office. Several days in one of the mushrooms lost its clip/popped out of the mini playfield (it was not held in with the proper clip) -- what could have been a simple repair turned into an all out shop and LED conversion. Please don't mind the cabinet fade. . . or the mess on my desk!

5J5A3175 (resized).JPG5J5A3175 (resized).JPG

I also tackled the TARDIS USB conversion mod. I know it has the look of a newer generation, but I like the improved details enough to swap it in. My coworkers don't know the difference anyway.

I utilized the original blue USB LED -- I tapped into a Comet non-ghosting LED with some extra wires from their Matrix line.

5J5A3156 (resized).JPG5J5A3156 (resized).JPG

Testing my work -- the resistors in the non-ghosting Comet bulb allow the USB LED to light as well.

EDIT: If you use this approach to lighting the comet bulb may need to be rotated 180 degrees in the lamp socket to get the blue LED to light. The LED has polarity and the lamp socket utilizes a diode in this location. It is a 50/50 shot -- my first attempt did not allow the blue LED to light. . . had to think for a little bit to figure out why!

5J5A3160 (resized).JPG5J5A3160 (resized).JPG

Test fitting into the TARDIS. I kept the Comet LED to provide light inside.

5J5A3162 (resized).JPG5J5A3162 (resized).JPG

Rather than light up plastic blue walls I printed out an image of the TARDIS interior. Stole this idea from another Pinsider that had posted it. I went with the classic look.

For mounting I drilled horizontally thru the original brackets/TARDIS walls. See the bottom left of the panel in the pic.

5J5A3163 (resized).JPG5J5A3163 (resized).JPG

New TARDIS in place. Several games in and everything is holding up like it was meant to be there!

5J5A3170 (resized).JPG5J5A3170 (resized).JPG5J5A3169 (resized).JPG5J5A3169 (resized).JPG

Now if I could only find one of those playfield multiplier ramp air ball deflectors with the Doctor Who logo/imagery on it. If anyone has one of those to sell please let me know!

#3666 4 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

I recently moved my Doctor Who into my office. Several days in one of the mushrooms lost its clip/popped out of the mini playfield (it was not held in with the proper clip) -- what could have been a simple repair turned into an all out shop and LED conversion. Please don't mind the cabinet fade. . . or the mess on my desk!
[quoted image]
I also tackled the TARDIS USB conversion mod. I know it has the look of a newer generation, but I like the improved details enough to swap it in. My coworkers don't know the difference anyway.
I utilized the original blue USB LED -- I tapped into a Comet non-ghosting LED with some extra wires from their Matrix line.
[quoted image]
Testing my work -- the resistors in the non-ghosting Comet bulb allow the USB LED to light as well.
EDIT: If you use this approach to lighting the comet bulb may need to be rotated 180 degrees in the lamp socket to get the blue LED to light. The LED has polarity and the lamp socket utilizes a diode in this location. It is a 50/50 shot -- my first attempt did not allow the blue LED to light. . . had to think for a little bit to figure out why!
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Rather than light up plastic blue walls I printed out an image of the TARDIS interior. Stole this idea from another Pinsider that had posted it. I went with the classic look.
For mounting I drilled horizontally thru the original brackets/TARDIS walls. See the bottom left of the panel in the pic.
[quoted image]
New TARDIS in place. Several games in and everything is holding up like it was meant to be there!
[quoted image][quoted image]
Now if I could only find one of those playfield multiplier ramp air ball deflectors with the Doctor Who logo/imagery on it. If anyone has one of those to sell please let me know!

That looks great!
I love the tardis interior.

Awesome!

#3667 4 years ago

That looks great!
I love the tardis interior.
Awesome!

2nd the comment on the interior. If you make more I'd be interested in buying one. Looks awesome.

#3668 4 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

2nd the comment on the interior. If you make more I'd be interested in buying one. Looks awesome.

I 2nd that!

If you make some up Id buy it!

Im just to lazy to do it for now lol.

#3669 4 years ago

I 2nd that!
If you make some up Id buy it!
Im just to lazy to do it for now lol.

Send me the image file, I can print mine

#3670 4 years ago

Wish me luck, going to put all wire back into game and make connections. Hopefully I will.have some.luck.

#3671 4 years ago

After many opto adjustments, I still couldn’t get the middle time expander target to register. As a final shot in the dark, I decided to replace the optos thinking maybe I had received a faulty one. Started with the receiver opto. Plugged the target bank in to test and boom....100% working.

#3672 4 years ago
Quoted from Jakers:

After many opto adjustments, I still couldn’t get the middle time expander target to register. As a final shot in the dark, I decided to replace the optos thinking maybe I had received a faulty one. Started with the receiver opto. Plugged the target bank in to test and boom....100% working.

Yay!
Well done!

#3673 4 years ago

Someone please make and sell me one of those Tardis interiors please.

#3674 4 years ago
Quoted from wolftownjeff:

Someone please make and sell me one of those Tardis interiors please.

If I can get the image file, I can print them on vinyl paper for those who want them.

#3675 4 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

If I can get the image file, I can print them on vinyl paper for those who want them.

I just "borrowed" it from the web. Here is the link (I hope!):

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_wYmzhukMuIk/TRqcFnB7UbI/AAAAAAAAAEI/se4jA6QJjW4/s1600/1985room.jpg

Tardis (resized).pngTardis (resized).png
#3676 4 years ago

I will play with the image so it works in the original tardis

#3677 4 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Thats good. I would say the 3 LM339 chips are bad on the board or the diodes and caps have blown as well.
Pinwiki has a nice guide for testing for bad chips on the opto boards
https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC

Guess who’s Who is fully functional . Thanks for the tip to read PinWiki. It has awesome info.

I installed both new opto board and motor driver board, all faults are cleared and it boots without issue now.

Just did a polish and threw some new ninjas in and the machine proceeded to kick my ass for 2hrs.

I need practice badly. Haha

Thanks again.

#3678 4 years ago
Quoted from ignat:

Guess who’s Who is fully functional . Thanks for the tip to read PinWiki. It has awesome info.
I installed both new opto board and motor driver board, all faults are cleared and it boots without issue now.
Just did a polish and threw some new ninjas in and the machine proceeded to kick my ass for 2hrs.
I need practice badly. Haha
Thanks again.

Congrats! I am falling more and more in love with this game. Color DMD and pinsound are worth adding.

#3679 4 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image]

Great update! I like the original Tardis interior. Modern ones wouldn’t work anyway, as they are too dark.

For others trying out the USB hub mod, you can also mount a bulb socket in the Tardis interior. If you remove the existing led in the usb hub, enough light still shines through (actually it may be brighter) and is a simpler mod. Looks great!

#3680 4 years ago
Quoted from wolftownjeff:

Congrats! I am falling more and more in love with this game. Color DMD and pinsound are worth adding.

I installed the shaker.

Its amazing and adds tons of drama.

Problem is trying to find the time to dial in the shakes.

Does anyone else have shaker settings to share?

#3681 4 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Wish me luck, going to put all wire back into game and make connections. Hopefully I will.have some.luck.

Its gotta be a bad wire.
Everything is new!

Luck has nothing to do with it.

Its all about your hard work paying off!

#3682 4 years ago

Its gotta be a bad wire.
Everything is new!
Luck has nothing to do with it.
Its all about your hard work paying off!

I know right!

#3683 4 years ago

I have never seen a game with such brittle wiring. Going to just re pin all the remaining connectors. Touch one, snap, touch another snap snap.

#3684 4 years ago

New high score tonighr.

4 shots of kirkland scotch.
Factory settings, maxed out ball save.
20200212_203424 (resized).jpg20200212_203424 (resized).jpg

God i love this game!

#3685 4 years ago

New high score tonighr.
[quoted image]
God i love this game!

Davros Jackpot !

#3687 4 years ago

Guys
How the hell do you change the Lock lamps out on the Time Expander!

Only two left to change out.

#3688 4 years ago
Quoted from vulcan903:

You'll have to remove this first.

IMG_2136 (resized).JPGIMG_2136 (resized).JPGIMG_2138 (resized).JPGIMG_2138 (resized).JPG
#3689 4 years ago

I installed the shaker.
Its amazing and adds tons of drama.
Problem is trying to find the time to dial in the shakes.
Does anyone else have shaker settings to share?

PinSound shaker or the PinShaker product ? I’ve heard the pinshaker option is pretty awesome

#3690 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

PinSound shaker or the PinShaker product ? I’ve heard the pinshaker option is pretty awesome

pinsound shaker

#3691 4 years ago
Quoted from vulcan903:

Guys
Only two left to change out.

Use dual head flex bulbs there, or only half the insert will light up.

#3692 4 years ago

Looking to get a dome for the topper. Any creative options outside of the one for ~129? I had seen some talk about basketball acrylic display cases. Is that still a good option?

#3693 4 years ago
Quoted from DudeRegular:

Looking to get a dome for the topper. Any creative options outside of the one for ~129? I had seen some talk about basketball acrylic display cases. Is that still a good option?

basketball acrylic display cases were being used back when you could get nothing at all.

Rick had some made from the original design molds.

I bought the one from PPS.

I looked at all of the other options and decided to get the real one, Its the best.

Its perfect. but I bought the plaid mirror decal for it from Marco, its nearly exactly like the original.

The mirror decal from PPS is bright and shiny and way modern, but I liked the plaid one better.

#3694 4 years ago

New high score tonighr.
[quoted image]
God i love this game!

I just ripped out a 891 million. It’s my top score.

Only owned the machine for 2 weeks.

#3695 4 years ago
Quoted from ignat:

I just ripped out a 891 million. It’s my top score.
Only owned the machine for 2 weeks.

I expect scores in the billions very soon!

(its not the score, its the score after a few drinks...!)

#3696 4 years ago

That’s cool. I’m done with PinSound after their thieving bullshit, but I’m glad to hear the shaker is really giving it all up!

#3697 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

That’s cool. I’m done with PinSound after their thieving bullshit, but I’m glad to hear the shaker is really giving it all up!

The pinsound shaker has just a little more connectability since you can tie it into any sound the game makes.
But its hard to dial in.

#3698 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

What thieving bs is that?

#3699 4 years ago
Quoted from ignat:

What thieving bs is that?

They initially sold a product made by a great pinsider whose easy to use board helped with one of the most frustrating behaviors of WPC games (resets due to low voltage), and then they just outright stole the design and cut him out of the deal.

I saw some US suppliers are now carrying their knockoff boards, so I have stopped buying from those stores as well.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsound-no-more-reset-and-rob-kahr-s-board

#3700 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

They initially sold a product made by a great pinsider whose easy to use board helped with one of the most frustrating behaviors of WPC games (resets due to low voltage), and then they just outright stole the design and cut him out of the deal.
I saw some US suppliers are now carrying their knockoff boards, so I have stopped buying from those stores as well.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsound-no-more-reset-and-rob-kahr-s-board

In spite of all of that, its sad I agree...

I like the homepin one with the voltage read-out.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
There are 6,511 posts in this topic. You are on page 74 of 131.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-owners-clubtime-lords-welcome/page/74?hl=vulcan903 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.