(Topic ID: 76377)

Doctor Who Owners Club.....Time Lords Welcome!

By HoakyPoaky

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,575 posts
  • 445 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by pinballtoys
  • Topic is favorited by 197 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Dalek7 (resized).JPG
Dalek33 (resized).JPG
Dalek32 (resized).JPG
TheDoctorWhoMiniPlayfieldv1.2.pdf (PDF preview)
Motor 3 (resized).JPG
Wires1 (resized).JPG
Rebuild18 (resized).JPG
GIBuzzBrown (resized).jpg
Back Board lights2 (resized).jpg
20240407_212554 (resized).jpg
DSCF2875 (resized).JPG
DSCF2874 (resized).JPG
Bally_1992_Doctor_Who_Mini_Playfield_Opto_Bank_Paper_Cover_Template.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,575 posts in this topic. You are on page 72 of 132.
#3551 4 years ago
Quoted from RocketFromTombs:

Got some time to work on my Doctor Who this week, got the mini PF taken out. One of the target optos is dead, and another one I think is really close to dying, so I plan on replacing the boards... pinballinreno - how long did it take for your set from PindoraBox to arrive? I think that's the ones I am going to go with. Are the receivers short enough that you didn't have to shave them down or anything? I may also spring for a new opto carrier from swinks, those look pretty stout!
I had a problem with my controlled lights, but that's figured out now. Once the MPF is done, I should be fully operational. That's going to be nice, I haven't played this game in about 6 or 7 years!

Quoted from eyeamred2u:

I just recieved my pindora board, took 2 weeks for shipping. Read through this thread for pics and info. I used a thin piece of fishpaper to raise the blue board so that the e-clips did not hit the IR's. Swinks's carrier is perfect. It is best to add black side shields to the outside edge to block light.

Yep, took about 2 weeks to get the pindorabox boards.

The receivers are still too long, evidently there will not be any short ones made any more.

In my opinion the swinks carrier is a must.

I really like the idea of fish paper on the receiver side to compensate for the extra length of the receiver optos! It seems actually professional, lol, thanks eyeamred2u !

But 3 layers of black electrical tape worked for me in a pinch (now I gotta buy some fishpaper...).

If you are using the paper shroud: paint the end flaps, or the whole paper black. (see my post on this...)

#3552 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Yep, took about 2 weeks to get the pindorabox boards.
The receivers are still too long, evidently there will not be any short ones made any more.
In my opinion the swinks carrier is a must.
I really like the idea of fish paper on the receiver side to compensate for the extra length of the receiver optos! It seems actually professional, lol, thanks eyeamred2u !
But 3 layers of black electrical tape worked for me in a pinch (now I gotta buy some fishpaper...).
If you are using the paper shroud: paint the end flaps, or the whole paper black. (see my post on this...)

Pinrestore sells fish paper in gray and black. Download the shield template from ipdb.org

#3553 4 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

I need a pic of connectors J1,J2, J3,J4,J5 and J6 on Opto Interface board. Just realised the manual page 3-12 has the connectors incorrect, at least how I am reading it. The key spots are in the wrong locations for J4 and J6. This could be my whole issue is the connectors are all pinned wrong.
See my pic.
[quoted image]

Ill take some pictures tonight so you can verify the wire colors.

I did get the template from IPDB. its perfect.
Fishpaper is on my list lol. Very handy to rebuild switch stacks.

I actually have some thin stuff and some old fashioned gasket material.
I just didnt think of it!

#3554 4 years ago

Ill take some pictures tonight so you can verify the wire colors.

Thanks, I think I mapped them all out, but the pics help to confirm

#3555 4 years ago

Maybe these will help

20190615_125724 (resized).jpg20190615_125724 (resized).jpg20190618_145920 (resized).jpg20190618_145920 (resized).jpg
#3556 4 years ago

Maybe these will help[quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks. For connectors J4,J5 and J6 it is Gray(A), Black(K), White(C), and Green(E) ?

#3557 4 years ago

Yes exactly, Better pics
20200129_094619 (resized).jpg20200129_094619 (resized).jpg20200129_094635 (resized).jpg20200129_094635 (resized).jpg20200129_094643 (resized).jpg20200129_094643 (resized).jpg

#3558 4 years ago

Yes exactly, Better pics
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Ok, I had that wrong, stupid manual.now I have to confirm J1, J2 and J3 wiring. Is the manual and your wiring correct?

#3559 4 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Ok, I had that wrong, stupid manual.now I have to confirm J1, J2 and J3 wiring. Is the manual and your wiring correct?

I never checked, but the circuits I did check, in almost all cases its dead on. It took me 4 days to light the topper lol. My game was slightly different from the schematic on a couple connections, I just matched it up to the schematic and it worked.

Probably operator hacks/mistakes caused the differences.

#3560 4 years ago

I never checked, but the circuits I did check, in almost all cases its dead on. It took me 4 days to light the topper lol. My game was slightlydifferent from the schematic, I just matched it up to the schematic and it worked.
Probably operator hacks caused the differences.

Thanks so much. This is a hacked game for sure. Crazy how it was running perfect, then BAM. But I will just take my time to figure it out. I find more hacks the deeper I look under the surface.

#3561 4 years ago

The sad part is when I jumper pins on J3, I get a an unused row showing up on my display, like my new ROM is corrupt. I am gonna put my old ROM in and see what happens. This game is haunted! Lmao

#3562 4 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Thanks so much. This is a hacked game for sure. Crazy how it was running perfect, then BAM. But I will just take my time to figure it out. I find more hacks the deeper I look under the surface.

My coin interface board as well as the coin door switch, and start and launch buttons were all hacked and rewired.

They worked but no lights on anything.

It took a bit of time to bring everything back to spec and match the schematic.
It was maddening at the time for sure.

Even my slings were wired in parallel they both fired at the same time lol.

Very creative operators to get the 250,000 games played on my game without spending money on parts!

#3563 4 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

The sad part is when I jumper pins on J3, I get a an unused row showing up on my display, like my new ROM is corrupt. I am gonna put my old ROM in and see what happens. This game is haunted! Lmao

Its crap like this that caused me to rip it all apart and start over...

Just too many hacks to be stable at all.

I kept asking myself, WTF!?!?!? and why the F#ck would anyone do this...LOL!

It all got fixed after 4 months of work...

The gulf stream opto boards were one of the things that really confused me.
3 sets of them and it worked like crap...live and learn.

#3564 4 years ago

Its crap like this that caused me to rip it all apart and start over...
Just too many hacks to be stable at all.
I kept asking myself, WTF!?!?!? and why the F#ck would anyone do this...LOL!
It all got fixed after 4 months of work...

I just found another wire not connected. On the upper left flipper, should there be 2 orange wires connected to EOS stack or 1, I have a wire I found tucked in the loom

#3565 4 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

I just found another wire not connected. On the upper left flipper, should there be 2 orange wires connected to EOS stack or 1, I have a wire I found tucked in the loom

YAY! Another WTF!?!?!? moment!

Yes its 2, they are tied together.

Thank you CRAP operators!

#3566 4 years ago

Alright, got my opto boards ordered from Pindorabox, and the new style opto carrier from Swinks. Now I just have to wait for them to arrive... I will spend the interim getting everything else on the game in good order, and waiting to finally have my machine working again!
-Brian

#3567 4 years ago
Quoted from RocketFromTombs:

Alright, got my opto boards ordered from Pindorabox, and the new style opto carrier from Swinks. Now I just have to wait for them to arrive... I will spend the interim getting everything else on the game in good order, and waiting to finally have my machine working again!
-Brian

Awesome!! The group is here if you need us. Keep us posted.

#3568 4 years ago

I'm having troubles figuring out a time expander problem. The middle target on the second level will not register. I've replaced both sender and receiver optos. The weird thing is, when I touch the 2 pins of the receiver opto (on the solder side) the target registers correctly. It doesn't take any pressure at all to make it work. Just bridging the receiver pins with my skin makes it work perfectly. Does this point to a resistance problem? Maybe the problem stems from the 10 opto board under the playfield?

#3569 4 years ago
Quoted from Jakers:

I'm having troubles figuring out a time expander problem. The middle target on the second level will not register. I've replaced both sender and receiver optos. The weird thing is, when I touch the 2 pins of the receiver opto (on the solder side) the target registers correctly. It doesn't take any pressure at all to make it work. Just bridging the receiver pins with my skin makes it work perfectly. Does this point to a resistance problem? Maybe the problem stems from the 10 opto board under the playfield?

Is it loose or cracked solder joint?
Maybe a broken wire?

Sometimes the wire breaks off the opto itself.

#3570 4 years ago
Quoted from Jakers:

You mean you are putting a jumper across the terminals on the opto receiver board?

#3571 4 years ago

Is it loose or cracked solder joint?
Maybe a broken wire?
Sometimes the wire breaks off the opto itself.

I've put new solder on every wire, opto sender, receiver and checked my molex connectors. If I hold my finger on the receiver opto I can move the whole assembly around any which way and it works flawlessly. The second I stop touching the receiver opto prongs it quits working.

#3572 4 years ago
Quoted from Jakers:

I've put new solder on every wire, opto sender, receiver and checked my molex connectors. If I hold my finger on the receiver opto I can move the whole assembly around any which way and it works flawlessly. The second I stop touching the receiver opto prongs it quits working.

Board has broken trace points

#3573 4 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

You mean you are putting a jumper across the terminals on the opto receiver board?

Essentially using my fingertip as a jumper, yes. But as a test, I did jumper the receiver prongs with a wire and the target still would not work. I removed the jumper wire, touched it with my fingertip and it works flawlessly. Which is why I'm thinking it's a resistance issue.

#3574 4 years ago

Do the receiver optos have a polarity? I noticed the sender optos have a notch drawn on the board to show which way to insert them. The receiver optos did not have that notch and are just circles.

#3575 4 years ago
Quoted from Jakers:

Essentially using my fingertip as a jumper, yes. But as a test, I did jumper the receiver prongs with a wire and the target still would not work. I removed the jumper wire, touched it with my fingertip and it works flawlessly. Which is why I'm thinking it's a resistance issue.

So u are a ground

#3576 4 years ago
Quoted from Jakers:

bad board?
broken trace/lifted pad.

#3577 4 years ago

I swapped the 10 opto board from under the playfield with the 10 opto board out of my BSD. The time expander targets work perfectly now. So I guess I’ve gotta shell out $100 for a new one. Bummer, but at least I can stop taking this time expander apart all the time for testing.

#3578 4 years ago
Quoted from Jakers:

I swapped the 10 opto board from under the playfield with the 10 opto board out of my BSD. The time expander targets work perfectly now. So I guess I’ve gotta shell out $100 for a new one. Bummer, but at least I can stop taking this time expander apart all the time for testing.

That is great news! I have the great lakes modular opto board, built in LED's that show optos registering. Well worth the100 bucks. Makes troubleshooting easy.

#3579 4 years ago

Can someone with a DW accessible measure the precise size of the translight GLASS cover (not the translite itself?) Mine's packed right now,and need the exact size.

Thanks!

#3580 4 years ago
Quoted from Clnilsen:

Can someone with a DW accessible measure the precise size of the translight GLASS cover (not the translite itself?) Mine's packed right now,and need the exact size.

My glass is 27-1/8" x 19" x 1/8"

#3581 4 years ago

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=General#Backglass_Sizes

27" x 18-7/8" (685x479x3mm) 1/8" clear tempered glass (sanded edge, no logo)

There are slight production variations but, this is what Williams ordered from the glass vendors.

#3582 4 years ago

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=General#Backglass_Sizes
27" x 18-7/8" (685x479x3mm) 1/8" clear tempered glass (sanded edge, no logo)
There are slight production variations but, this is what Williams ordered from the glass vendors.

Yes, That is prolly correct size.

#3583 4 years ago

@pinballreno

Do your opto boards look like this. Mine are clear IR's, not clear and dark. Might be an issue.

20200203_144627 (resized).jpg20200203_144627 (resized).jpg
#3584 4 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

@pinballreno
Do your opto boards look like this. Mine are clear IR's, not clear and dark. Might be an issue.[quoted image]

No, thats looks wrong.

post #3415 shows that mine were dark and light same as the gulf stream and originals.

If they are all dead that that is very much the issue.
All transmitter LEDs and no receivers?

WTF?!?!?!?!

#3585 4 years ago

No, thats looks wrong.
post #3415 shows that mine were dark and light same as the gulf stream and originals.

I thought so, I bought them from Ministry of Pinball and they are telling me the boards are correct, both clear IR's, and I am super confused now.

#3586 4 years ago

Not all recievers are clear, some are clouded/grey. It just depends on the manufacturer of the LED/Phototransistor.

#3587 4 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

I thought so, I bought them from Ministry of Pinball and they are telling me the boards are correct, both clear IR's, and I am super confused now.

I bought mine from pindorabox.com directly.

Take a look at my post.

I guess in theory the receivers can be clear but, In all cases, All of the sets I have bought are different colors.

Ministry of pinball also sold me the cabinet decals that were not the right size.

I would have to test them. The receivers do not light up, they are transistors

#3588 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Not all recievers are clear, some are clouded/grey. It just depends on the manufacturer of the LED/Phototransistor.

I get that, but these are clear like the transmitters

#3589 4 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

I get that, but these are clear like the transmitters

*nods* Some phototransistors ARE clear, that's what I'm saying. You can't judge them based on the color.
In fact, if you look at them, you can SEE the blue board is a transistor and not an LED, with the different black-colored base inside.

#3590 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

*nods* Some phototransistors ARE clear, that's what I'm saying. You can't judge them based on the color.
In fact, if you look at them, you can SEE the blue board is a transistor and not an LED, with the different black-colored base inside.

I will.look closer, don't see the difference you are pointing at. Thank you for the clarification.

#3591 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Still its a surprise.

The ones I got were very different and worked very well for me.

I do see the transistors thru the lens on the blue board from the photo.

I thought they used red filters to block ambient light on the receivers?

Clear is an interesting choice. I guess it just depends on the manufacturer.

#3592 4 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

I will.look closer, don't see the difference you are pointing at. Thank you for the clarification.

If you put the old boards back on, do they work?

If all sets are not working the problem is not the boards.

Possibly a ground issue on the receiver side.

#3593 4 years ago

If you put the old boards back on, do they work?
If all sets are not working the problem is not the boards.
Possibly a ground issue on the receiver side.

All wiring has been verified, no ground issues. Gonna try original boards

#3594 4 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

All wiring has been verified, no ground issues. Gonna try original boards

That would be good as a comparison maybe.

#3595 4 years ago

Same results, Switches 71-75 not registering. Can't find a break in ground path either.

#3596 4 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Same results, Switches 71-75 not registering. Can't find a break in ground path either.

All 5 mushrooms not registering.

Dead.

And the leds light up?

Somewhere there is signal loss or a wire/connector/pin isnt making contact?

Or the signal isnt being sent or decoded?

Time to get out the logic probe or o-scope.

I would reinstall the pindorabox boards when you get a chance.

They needed very little adjustmant if any.

PinballFAZ might have some insight?

#3597 4 years ago

I would reinstall the pindorabox boards when you get a chance.
They needed very little adjustmant if any.
pinballfaz might have some insight?

I am going to put them back in tomorrow. Again, thanks for all the help.

#3598 4 years ago

Can someone confirm the correct wiring for the 5 board opto carrier transmitter and reciever. Here is what I have

20200204_110430 (resized).jpg20200204_110430 (resized).jpg
#3599 4 years ago

I’ve ALMOST got my game 100% working. The last problem I can see is a couple flashers not working. The Doctor 7 (middle backglass doctor) and the time expander flasher are not working. They are on the same circuit and should flash at the same time. I have continuity from the board to the bulbs and have checked for cold solder joints on the back of the board.

While I had the driver board off, I noticed that transistor Q42 (the transistor that controls said flashers) is a TIP122 but the manual calls for a TIP102. It’s obviously been replaced at some point. Would this cause the flashers to not operate?

#3600 4 years ago
Quoted from Jakers:

I’ve ALMOST got my game 100% working. The last problem I can see is a couple flashers not working. The Doctor 7 (middle backglass doctor) and the time expander flasher are not working. They are on the same circuit and should flash at the same time. I have continuity from the board to the bulbs and have checked for cold solder joints on the back of the board.
While I had the driver board off, I noticed that transistor Q42 (the transistor that controls said flashers) is a TIP122 but the manual calls for a TIP102. It’s obviously been replaced at some point. Would this cause the flashers to not operate?

Have you reflowed the lamp board pads? Swapped #6 and #7 to make sure you don't have a bad lamp holder.

Tip 122 is acceptable.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

£ 110.00
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

There are 6,575 posts in this topic. You are on page 72 of 132.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-owners-clubtime-lords-welcome/page/72?hl=robotworkshop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.