(Topic ID: 76377)

Doctor Who Owners Club.....Time Lords Welcome!

By HoakyPoaky

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,575 posts
  • 445 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by pinballtoys
  • Topic is favorited by 197 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Dalek7 (resized).JPG
Dalek33 (resized).JPG
Dalek32 (resized).JPG
TheDoctorWhoMiniPlayfieldv1.2.pdf (PDF preview)
Motor 3 (resized).JPG
Wires1 (resized).JPG
Rebuild18 (resized).JPG
GIBuzzBrown (resized).jpg
Back Board lights2 (resized).jpg
20240407_212554 (resized).jpg
DSCF2875 (resized).JPG
DSCF2874 (resized).JPG
Bally_1992_Doctor_Who_Mini_Playfield_Opto_Bank_Paper_Cover_Template.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,575 posts in this topic. You are on page 62 of 132.
#3051 4 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

I would not do a half sticker. Just my opinion.

I agree. One piece stickers are easier to install, and look better.

#3052 4 years ago

I played a test game last night.

The balls now lock perfectly on the MPF.

The balls release one at a time as expected.

Question:

Is the music supposed to change when the balls are released from the MPF? The music and everything seems to the same as in single ball play.
There seems to be no indication that Im in a multiball when the balls are released in this 2 ball multiball.

Im using the Rdoyle1978 enhanced modern mix on pinsound.

#3053 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Question:
Is the music supposed to change when the balls are released from the MPF? The music and everything seems to the same as in single ball play.
There seems to be no indication that Im in a multiball when the balls are released.
Im using the rdoyle1978 enhanced modern mix on pinsound.

Yes, the Dalek goes crazy and starts a crazy wind sound

#3054 4 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

This is definitely not happening.

Im at a bit of a disadvantage here. I dont have an original sound card to compare anything to.

Ill try some of the other mixes and see if they do something different thanks.

How do I test the 4 bulb topper light? The dalek flasher works perfectly, the little 4 bulb board tests out perfectly on my bench.

It doesnt light in all lamp test. Is is tied to a voice call out?

#3055 4 years ago

This is definitely not happening.
Im at a bit of a disadvantage here. I dont have an original sound card to compare anything to.
Ill try some of the other mixes and see if they do something different thanks.
How do I test the 4 bulb topper light? The dalek flasher works perfectly, the little 4 bulb board tests out perfectly on my bench.
It doesnt light in all lamp test. Is is tied to a voice call out?

I believe those are tied to a special solenoids if I remember. I have a moving Dalek topper, so my setup is different now

#3056 4 years ago

Question:
There seems to be no indication that Im in a multiball when the balls are released in this 2 ball multiball.

Quoted from eyeamred2u:

This isn’t part of the music file though - there is either a missing sound effect in the audio pack (we’ve started to discover missing sounds in some of the PinSound audio structure) or a missing trigger to play such a sound. Download the original music pack from the Pinsound website and compare. You can switch between the two sets, just make sure they are both in their own folders in the /Audio folder.

Then switch between them by reducing the volume to 0, hit Down once more and you will hear a sound effect from the other set (I forget what it is on DW). Do the same thing to switch back.

One of these days I’ll get around to sending you my old sound board too so you can try that

#3057 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

One of these days I’ll get around to sending you my old sound board too so you can try that

I will reinstall the original sounds from pinsound a do a comparison.

Yes, a working original sound card would be great.

Im kinda lost without a baseline on this.

#3058 4 years ago

The only reference in the manual for the topper 4 bulb board is in the backbox section of the manual.

How it functions is elusive...

#3059 4 years ago

The only reference in the manual for the topper 4 bulb board is in the backbox section of the manual.
How it functions is elusive...

What do those lights even do? I seem to recall they just stay on to light the Dalek

#3060 4 years ago

I agree. One piece stickers are easier to install, and look better.

Ok . So I take a picture of the decals, then what? I have somethi g called "paint-shop". I can change it into a jpeg . I don't think it can change it to a pdf. What is the most common file to bring to a printi g store?

#3061 4 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

Ok . So I take a picture of the decals, then what? I have somethi g called "paint-shop". I can change it into a jpeg . I don't think it can change it to a pdf. What is the most common file to bring to a printi g store?

use this program to sort them out and clean them up.

https://www.gimp.org/

#3062 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

What do those lights even do? I seem to recall they just stay on to light the Dalek

Mine stay off, but the board works properly. The dalek flasher works in flasher test.

The 4 bulbs do not come on in all lamp test.

I remember hearing that these lights flash when the dalek talks?

Im trying to get info on how they work to test them out in-game.

#3063 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The lights are on in attract mode, and I believe during gameplay as well

#3064 4 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Right - but they’re not really interactive right? (My game is in Ohio. Where I am not currently so I can’t go check

#3065 4 years ago

Some notes from pinsider freds13 from 5 years ago:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-general-illumination-memo

GI string #2

Fuse F109
Transistor Q10

4 #555 bulbs in the topper, 22AWG, J1-1 WHT-ORG from topper board to J1-1 on resistor board and J2-1 WHT-ORG from resistor board to J121-8, J1-3 ORG from topper board to J1-5 on resistor board and J2-4 BLK from resistor board to J118-3

This is crucial information!

The topper lights are on GI string #2. J-121 is definitely GI.

Is J-118 GI or a controlled input/output.

Regular GI circuit would infer that they are on all the time. I should have voltage in that pin always.

I haven't checked it yet. Might just be a loose wire in the connector if it's supposed to be on all the time.

I dont have a game locally to compare to.

Same as the audio questions lol.

#3066 4 years ago

I have not seen my 4 #555 bulbs light up yet.

Although I haven't let it sit very long in attract mode.

Quoted from eyeamred2u:

So does this information mean that the lights go on or off depending on a mode?

Or are you are saying that the lights are static and always on or match the behavior of GI string #2?

#3067 4 years ago

Question:

See 2:00 of this video to see when the balls are released. There is a change in music.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-owners-clubtime-lords-welcome/page/52#post-5081632

#3068 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

See 2:00 of this video to see when the balls are released. There is a change in music.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-owners-clubtime-lords-welcome/page/52#post-5081632

I believe it’s just starting the music track over though. Even in your video it’s re-starting the guitar solo from YYZ. Same piece of music that was playing just prior

#3069 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I believe it’s just starting the music track over though. Even in your video it’s re-starting the guitar solo from YYZ. Same piece of music that was playing just prior

I'll have to install the crap original sound and test all the sounds for a baseline.

It seems out of character that nothing would change when a multiball starts.

It definitely lacks dynamics or excitement as it is.

Is there a trigger to this mode?
Or is it even a mode?

Is it Just 2 balls being released? Lol.

#3070 4 years ago

I'll have to install the crap original sound and test all the sounds for a baseline.
It seems out of character that nothing would change when a multiball starts.
It definitely lacks dynamics or excitement as it is.
Is there a trigger to this mode?
Or is it even a mode?
Is it Just 2 balls being released? Lol.

There’s only the one multi ball in the game, over and over. There aren’t any real modes per se, it’s more combo and shot based. 3 balls total. (Not sure what you mean by a trigger? Lock 2 balls, hit the mushroom targets 15 times, hit a Dalek)

#3071 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

There’s only the one multi ball in the game, over and over. There aren’t any real modes per se, it’s more combo and shot based. 3 balls total. (Not sure what you mean by a trigger? Lock 2 balls, hit the mushroom targets 15 times, hit a Dalek)

Thought there might be a software trigger for a sound change up during multiball.

I read that some pinsound mixes have different sounds/music for the multiball. Re: techno mix during multiball.

I will have to try this one. It might be the jc-mix on pinsound site?

The game Definitely needs multiball music change-up.

Dendoc:

I'm in the process of uploading my Dr Who remix.

London Symphony Orchestra playing the origianl TV theme, and a techno mix during ball lock and multiball. I've kept the original end of ball themes as these are hard to duplicate, but the game music sounds great. Had to zip the files, but I'll have to see if they ended up in the right folders. I've sorted how to use the pinsound card and USB, now have sort out this sharing thing!

#3072 4 years ago

I'm in the process of uploading my Dr Who remix.
London Symphony Orchestra playing the origianl TV theme, and a techno mix during ball lock and multiball.

Looking forward to another Dr. Who orchestration. I was thinking of doing a Green Day or Foo Fighter remix. I know not game based but just like their music and thought it be fun to listen to while playing.

#3073 4 years ago

Thought there might be a software trigger for a sound change up during multiball.

I read that some pinsound mixes have different sounds/music for the multiball. Re: techno mix during multiball.

I will have to try this one. It might be the jc-mix on pinsound site?

The game Definitely needs multiball music change-up.

Herés a video of a mix made by pinballshark that im currently using and like because of the change-up when multiball starts, about 1:40 in the video, hope it helps.

#3074 4 years ago
Quoted from darkpinball:

Herés a video of a mix made by pinballshark that im currently using and like because of the change-up when multiball starts, about 1:40 in the video, hope it helps.

I just want to point out to everybody that the game does not actually play different music during multi ball - it DOES start the main music track over. As far as I can tell, there’s no real way to get it to play an entirely different song If that’s what’s you’re looking for. The game is not programmed to do so for some reason

#3075 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I just want to point out to everybody that the game does not actually play different music during multi ball - it DOES start the main music track over. As far as I can tell, there’s no real way to get it to play an entirely different song If that’s what’s you’re looking for. The game is not programmed to do so for some reason

Interesting and good to know.

What is this techno music for lock and multiball dendoc is referring to? I'll load it up tomorrow and check it out.

#3076 4 years ago

Interesting and good to know.
What is this techno music for lock and multiball dendoc is referring to? I'll load it up tomorrow and check it out.

I’m not finding that post but there is a Doctor Who Disco mix that was released in the 70s. It replaces the main game music in one of the mixes.

I think it is this one:

(Funfact: the “Timelords” were also later known as an awesome band called The KLF)

There is also this:

Both pretty horrible!
I’ve often thought the best replacement is this Muse song:

#3077 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

’m not finding that post

That was an excerpt from the pinsound community forum

#3078 4 years ago

Hi all, my game is just about on it's feet!

As I've had transistor issue I'm hoping someone can confirm how the trap door should be operating... By default it's raised. So if I hit the upper ramp with the U/L flipper the ball drops onto the pf through the trap door, back spins a bit up the alley and then come back down to the U/L flipper, so I can hot the ramp for another loop, etc.

Then once I reach 10 loops and spell W-H-O, if I hit the ramp with the U/L flipper the trap door drops, so the ball returns to the L/L flipper.

Does the above sound right? Looking in some videos other games seem to act differently.

Cheers for your help!

#3079 4 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Hi all, my game is just about on it's feet!
As I've had transistor issue I'm hoping someone can confirm how the trap door should be operating... By default it's raised. So if I hit the upper ramp with the U/L flipper the ball drops onto the pf through the trap door, back spins a bit up the alley and then come back down to the U/L flipper, so I can hot the ramp for another loop, etc.
Then once I reach 10 loops and spell W-H-O, if I hit the ramp with the U/L flipper the trap door drops, so the ball returns to the L/L flipper.
Does the above sound right? Looking in some videos other games seem to act differently.
Cheers for your help!

This sounds correct to me. You have to hit that Sonic Boom loop 10 times in order to earn the actually sonic Boom, which then drops the ball down to the lower left flipper, and you have to get it back up the to loop or the W-H-O letters or whatever.

#3080 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

This sounds correct to me. You have to hit that Sonic Boom loop 10 times in order to earn the actually sonic Boom, which then drops the ball down to the lower left flipper, and you have to get it back up the to loop or the W-H-O letters or whatever.

Thanks Rdoyle1978, it looks like I'm good then. From the videos I watched it looks like the default trap door position was down, but this must be a mistake.

#3081 4 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Thanks Rdoyle1978, it looks like I'm good then. From the videos I watched it looks like the default trap door position was down, but this must be a mistake.

There is another shot that puts the door down - if you hit the W- H- O shots in order, the ball will return to the left flipper

#3082 4 years ago

Who has a nice Apron on their Doctor Who? I want to make Apron Decal Stickers and need some pics.

Thanks,

Ken

#3083 4 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Who has a nice Apron on their Doctor Who? I want to make Apron Decal Stickers and need some pics.
Thanks,
Ken

Not sure if this is what you need or not

20191015_223035.jpg20191015_223035.jpg20191015_223052.jpg20191015_223052.jpg20191015_223040.jpg20191015_223040.jpg20191015_223047.jpg20191015_223047.jpg
#3085 4 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Thanks,
Ken

Let me look at mine.

However:

Treasure cove has some apron stickers. I really dont need to paint my apron yet. But was thinking of getting a set.

Has anyone bought these?

#3086 4 years ago

Let me look at mine.
However:
Treasure cove has some apron stickers. I really dont need to paint my apron yet. But was thinking of getting a set.
Has anyone bought these?

I will visit Treasure Cove

#3087 4 years ago
Quoted from DudeRegular:

Not sure if this is what you need or not[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Yes, can't seem to find them already made.

#3088 4 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Yes, can't seem to find them already made.

Contact pinsider athens95 via pm.

They have tons of stuff not listed.

Tell him what you need.

#3091 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

What’s with all the 50 cents cards?

I think most doctor who are fitty cent on location right now.

#3092 4 years ago

I'm still struggling with the MPF opto switches.

They are very touchy.

Always they always work except one lol.

I got them all to work finally then after 5 test games the middle one posted an error!

Pulled it apart again and will attempt a more stable solution.

Maybe a sleeve held on with some shrink tube?

It's got to be durable since it gets hit hard all the time.

#3093 4 years ago

So I was looking at my Tardis I thought it came with just some light mod on top but it looks very different from one's I see in pics.
This one is not screwed down just sits there and they cut a notch for a light socket that feeds the top light.
Is this a common mod?

20191016_222317 (resized).jpg20191016_222317 (resized).jpg20191016_222317 (resized).jpg20191016_222317 (resized).jpg20191016_222505 (resized).jpg20191016_222505 (resized).jpg20191016_222512 (resized).jpg20191016_222512 (resized).jpg
#3094 4 years ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

So I was looking at my Tardis I thought it came with just some light mod on top but it looks very different from one's I see in pics.
This one is not screwed down just sits there and they cut a notch for a light socket that feeds the top light.
Is this a common mod?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Somewhat common - that Tardis is a USB hub you can buy on Amazon for .. idk $30 or so. If you install a light inside the top will light as yours does. I like a blue light in mine. Looks good, that was well-installed!

#3095 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Somewhat common - that Tardis is a USB hub you can buy on Amazon for .. idk $30 or so. If you install a light inside the top will light as yours does. I like a blue light in mine. Looks good, that was well-installed!

I'm thinking of putting a couple flashers in mine that go off when the plunger fires.

I'm thinking it would be a cool effect. As well as a little shake from the pinsound shaker whenever they become available.

#3096 4 years ago

Well, my game is complete.

Debugging now.

4 light topper light doesnt work.

Found a very interesting problem.

The f#cking coils on the time expander kickers are reversed.

In MPF tests the left and right are reveresed.

The opto switch test is perfect.

WTF. I wired everything exactly as i found it.

Big mistake. Some f#cktard wired it wrong in the past....

No problem. I'll fix it friday.

M switch on the MPF giving me headaches.

It works perfectly for a time and then I get an error.

It seems that assembled is way diferent than in hand testing.

I pulled out the washers under the new opto receiver board in favor of 5 layers of electrical tape on that side. Installed a couple of wooden walls around it. Works ok.

It works very well.

The problem with washers is that they cause the board to tilt in unpredictable ways.

If it holds for a couple days I think its stable enough to call it fixed.

#3097 4 years ago

Pinound WTF.

My audio started getting worse and worse.

It got to the point that the theme music was blasting and the game sounds were barely there.

I wiped the USB stick and applied a fresh copy of the mix.

So, pinsound generates a gain file?

All by its little self???

WTF, I get it. But seriously if you screw with the knobs enough, pinsound's AI will f#ck averything up.

The new fresh install is really good again.

Less adjusting is more on this setup.

Yes, I've had a couple drinks lol.

#3098 4 years ago

So, why dont my topper lights work.

I'll look at it friday.

#3099 4 years ago

So, why dont my topper lights work.

I'm assuming you already looked at this, but I might as well state the obvious. Unless I'm not understanding what you're asking... You looked at the manual for the wiring right?

Backbox Lamp board 2 10 watt res board (resized).jpgBackbox Lamp board 2 10 watt res board (resized).jpgBackbox Lamp board wiring (resized).jpgBackbox Lamp board wiring (resized).jpg
#3100 4 years ago

Basically, follow it back to the fuse F109 on the Power Driver board.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

£ 110.00
3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.00
There are 6,575 posts in this topic. You are on page 62 of 132.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-owners-clubtime-lords-welcome/page/62 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.