(Topic ID: 76377)

Doctor Who Owners Club.....Time Lords Welcome!

By HoakyPoaky

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8F059034-AED6-4CD0-A63B-68703F33C57E (resized).png
2BB87EE1-5698-430F-9904-4F97683F83C2 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
DSCF2747 (resized).JPG
IMG_0498 (resized).JPG
Tardis99 (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2024-01-28 at 1.31.59 pm (resized).png
il_1140xN.2008045654_bplp (resized).jpg
IMG_7156 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7155 (resized).jpeg
421735202_7550654594958757_8318301814228353514_n (resized).jpg
421727425_7550654341625449_209651123817121918_n (resized).jpg
421731484_7550654938292056_4147915032710083979_n (resized).jpg
421723578_7550654091625474_5367988788185483827_n (resized).jpg
20240117_191816 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,511 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 131.
#251 9 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Thanks for the info on the paper. Lack of a repro main playfield/translite/plastics does make it a more difficult game to restore. I was able to find a 4 piece plastic set but everything else seems hard to come by. It sounds like the licensing costs are high which is why some of the parts are likely not being made. I'm guessing that the reason that the ramps, mini-pf, and time expander cover were made was because they didn't feature licensed content or pictures of the actors? Hopefully HEP gets to his DW soon as I would love to see the pics.

Contact rick at baa/planetary pinball. I just got a nos (or repro, I really can't tell) translite from him during cax.

#252 9 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Contact rick at baa/planetary pinball. I just got a nos (or repro, I really can't tell) translite from him during cax.

How is it?

#253 9 years ago

It looks good to me! I can take some pictures after work. I still have the protective plastic on the front, since I have not swapped it with the current one. I was planning on doing that today. I will post some side by side, and before/after pics.

It could be NOS for all I know. Rick got it from Gene. But Gene was making stuff without approval, so you never know....

#254 9 years ago

I'd bet it's an original. This isn't something that Gene ever made, but probably had NOS of lost in his warehouse. Trust me, this is a highly educated guess here.

#255 9 years ago
Quoted from awarner:

I'd bet it's an original. This isn't something that Gene ever made, but probably had NOS of lost in his warehouse. Trust me, this is a highly educated guess here.

Either way, I am happy!

#256 9 years ago

Here is the translite I got, protective coating is still on:image.jpgimage.jpg

#257 9 years ago

ColorDMD?!?!? Can't wait!

#258 9 years ago

I never thought DW would get a ColorDMD. I guess it helps to have a dedicated fan base. Can't wait to see the video.

Is it too greedy to wish DW could be visited by the translite fairy and fix the art?

#259 9 years ago

Picked up my Dr. Who a few months back...In the process of restoring it, bought an LED kit and am floored that a color DMD is available!!! I'm debating if I should put a weeping angel statue in the game somewhere but I don't think I'd be able to sleep at night knowing its lurking in my pin LOL

I'd probably be in tears if someone did this to me:

#260 9 years ago

We took our Doctor Who pinball machine to a local convention called FandomFest to help promote the Louisville Arcade Expo. Anyway - Doctor Who #7 was there (Sylvester McCoy) - and he came over, played the game and signed it. He was a very nice guy. He even stopped by again and just messed with a kid while they were playing it, haha. He said he once got free drinks on a cruise in San Tropez because the bartender had the pinball machine. He also said it was more fun then he remembered.

Doctor Who playing Doctor WhoDoctor Who playing Doctor Who

Karl Urban was also there, and after seeing he was into Pinball on here, we asked him if he would like to come over, and he stopped by and played a few games. He was actually a very good player and familiar with the game. Very cool.

Bones can playBones can play

A Dalek also stopped by and played. Exterminate!

Exterminate the DoctorExterminate the Doctor

Not pinball, but still cool - Tron (Bruce Boxleitner) also stopped by and played a Tron arcade we had there. Quite the weekend.

TronTron

#261 9 years ago

Love Doctor Who. Anyone have any ideas on how to prevent bounce outs from the center Dalek hole. The one I play at the Silverball museum here in Jersey has issues with that particular shot. 50% of the shots at the center Dalek keep bouncing out and it's very frustrating. Is this common for this game? Does this happen often on your DW?

#262 9 years ago
Quoted from LouMatt:

We took our Doctor Who pinball machine to a local convention called FandomFest to help promote the Louisville Arcade Expo. Anyway - Doctor Who #7 was there (Sylvester McCoy) - and he came over, played the game and signed it. He was a very nice guy. He even stopped by again and just messed with a kid while they were playing it, haha. He said he once got free drinks on a cruise in San Tropez because the bartender had the pinball machine. He also said it was more fun then he remembered.
Doctor Who playing Doctor Who
Karl Urban was also there, and after seeing he was into Pinball on here, we asked him if he would like to come over, and he stopped by and played a few games. He was actually a very good player and familiar with the game.
Not pinball, but still cool - Tron (Bruce Boxleitner) also stopped by and played a Tron arcade we had there. Quite the weekend.

This is quite possibly the coolest thing I've seen on Pinside. Tron playing Tron and one of the Doctors playing Doctor Who. Awesome!

#263 9 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Geo:

50% of the shots at the center Dalek keep bouncing out and it's very frustrating. Is this common for this game? Does this happen often on your DW?

I've never seen this. You're talking about when the mini playfied is up and playing multiball correct?

#264 9 years ago

Wish I could have Sylvester's feedback on the coloring since he's so prominently displayed in the time expander sequences. Would love to be contacted by a doctor to play my machine. I can never think of DW in monochrome again.

#265 9 years ago

Started working on de-populating and re-populating the new ramps. a Pox on rivets! I don't have a riveter, dammit. Has anyone had luck with small screws and nuts to hold in the optos on the ramp?

I also have been lucky enough to have the game start turning off/on when trying to power up. The game is NOT resetting, but it is like the power is fluttering. But I know it is the game and not the outlet, since no other game (when plugged in there) has the problem.

#266 9 years ago

Wow LouMatt how awesome, thanks for sharing

#267 9 years ago

Great Pics!!!

Thanks!
faz

#268 9 years ago

dsuperbee sounds like you have a cord/plug/or a connector problem. Also check thermistor in the power switch box and all connections in there. You could check the power on the aux plug when firing up with a dmm.

#269 9 years ago
Quoted from Hawk007:

dsuperbee sounds like you have a cord/plug/or a connector problem. Also check thermistor in the power switch box and all connections in there. You could check the power on the aux plug when firing up with a dmm.

Yeah, that is where I am leaning. This just came on suddenly, but I know it is the game. Just frustrating since I am CLOSE to finishing this 2 year old project.

#270 9 years ago

yea I hear you. I got an early production with moving dalek and just shopped the whole thing straightened the mini playfield brackets that were super bad and now time expander binds terribly. Bracket is from the 60's [all groovy] lol
We will get to play one day

Trying to weld it up to fill grooves and hoping Rick at PPS can get some more new ones made for us all. Super awesome he is looking into it already. Everyone keep your fingers crossed he has some good luck.
If you need any other help feel free to pm anytime

#271 9 years ago

Can someone take a pic of the inside of the cab where the warning decal
Is and give me the dimensions of the deck? Thanks.

#272 9 years ago

DSC01621.JPGDSC01621.JPG

This one? 1-7/8" x 3-3/4"

#273 9 years ago
Quoted from schwarz:

This one? 1-7/8" x 3-3/4"

DSC01621.JPG 181 KB

Not that one, but thanks for taking the time to take the pic. On the inside of the cab on the side there is a decal with the same graphics. You can see part of it in this pic. I'm just trying to get the correct size. Thanks again.

IMG_6766.jpgIMG_6766.jpg
#274 9 years ago

honestly it may be the same size, just not sure

#275 9 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Not that one, but thanks for taking the time to take the pic. On the inside of the cab on the side there is a decal with the same graphics. You can see part of it in this pic. I'm just trying to get the correct size. Thanks again.

IMG_6766.jpg 147 KB

That one is 6-1/2" x 3-1/2"
First time I've noticed it... looks like I need a new one as well.

#276 9 years ago
Quoted from schwarz:

That one is 6-1/2" x 3-1/2"
First time I've noticed it... looks like I need a new one as well.

Thanks

#277 9 years ago

I've got some adjustments to do after a recent clean, wax and new rubbers. The most frustrating is the Tardis wireform that feeds the ball to the inlane, then the ball bounces over to the outlane. It's almost as if it's defying gravity and rolling up and over. I'm thinking it may be bouncing off the new slingshot rubber, so I might see if I can adjust the posts to move the rubber a bit away from the inlane.

Anyway, I'm posting because I just installed the ColorDMD! This thing is awesome! I made a fairly long video that shows many of the animations.

#278 9 years ago

Looks sweet! Can't swing the price tag though. I guess if mine was dying then I could justify. Oh well............

#279 9 years ago

Hi taylor, Ive just sent you an email with pics if this is the one you meanimage.jpgimage.jpg

#280 9 years ago

Thats very cool Paladin, mine should be here next week according to the tracking, looking forward to installing (big thanks to Toads who is adjusting the boards and helping me to install)

#281 9 years ago
Quoted from Fairground:

Hi taylor, Ive just sent you an email with pics if this is the one you mean

image.jpg 203 KB

Perfect pic! I wasn't sure if there was more text. I recreated this decal for my time expander safety plate so just need to enlarge it.

#282 9 years ago

I was really excited about the colordmd kit until I learned that you lose game functionality unless you permanently mod the pin for the number lights. Given my soldering skill are about at the level of untrained, one haned monkey, I've lost most of my initial enthusiasm for the kit. (At least until I can improve my skills beyond slather a bunch of solder to replace a flipper coil) It's too bad they don't offer a replacement compatible lighting part as an additional purchase.

#283 9 years ago
Quoted from Lame33:

I was really excited about the colordmd kit until I learned that you lose game functionality unless you permanently mod the pin for the number lights. Given my soldering skill are about at the level of untrained, one haned monkey, I've lost most of my initial enthusiasm for the kit. (At least until I can improve my skills beyond slather a bunch of solder to replace a flipper coil) It's too bad they don't offer a replacement compatible lighting part as an additional purchase.

Suggest contacting Rob Anthony (Borygard) or Kris Bliznick (Firebird Pinball) to see if they could make the board changes for you. The board changes are 100% reversible.

#285 9 years ago
Quoted from Lame33:

Given my soldering skill are about at the level of untrained, one haned monkey, I've lost most of my initial enthusiasm for the kit.

Ive watched the tutorial on moding the light board and looks quite simple. You should give er a try

#286 9 years ago

If enough people would want these modded, I could do them. I'd have to figure cost with parts, but I'm thinking $45.00 with shipping in the US. You'd have to ship me your board. Anybody with a soldering iron could reverse it so it wouldn't be permanent (unless you want it to be). PM me for details. Only problem would be that the first batch would be done after 8/25 when I return from my business trip. I'd need 10-15 people to want it done for me to order parts and set up to do it. You don't have to do the ColorDMD right away, this can be done prior to the install of the ColorDMD and have it ready for when it's purchased.

#287 9 years ago
Quoted from awarner:

You don't have to do the ColorDMD right away, this can be done prior to the install of the ColorDMD and have it ready for when it's purchased.

Count me in please.

#288 9 years ago

Got a friend who will help me with the riveting later this week. Pinrestore is out of the riveter and the parts to build your own, so I have been spending my time working on getting the ramps to fit. These ramps have been slightly more work that normal to get them to fit properly and have everything line up. Hoping to have it working by Fri.

#289 9 years ago

Also waiting for the kits to be restocked, should've ordered long ago.

#290 9 years ago

Got my DMD yesterday, thank you to Toads who installed it for me tonight, so awesome in colour and they match the cabinet colours nicely

Toads had first play to kick dalek butt in colour

#291 9 years ago

Good call. I think there's a marketing issue for colordmd. For DW...they should call it ColourDMD

faz

#292 9 years ago

Can someone clarify what Cointaker bulb will most match the existing incandescent lights. I've read people using different bulbs. These will be the only LEDs in my game. Thanks.

#293 9 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Can someone clarify what Cointaker bulb will most match the existing incandescent lights. I've read people using different bulbs. These will be the only LEDs in my game. Thanks.

What spots are you talking about exactly?

#294 9 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

I would be using the warm white LEDs IF I do them (so far only 1 taker). I'll get them from Pinballlife.com though. I've ordered enough parts to do two boards, mine and one other. I can order parts for the big run if enough people sign up. I'll post pics of mine when I finish it.

Thanks,

-Al-

#295 9 years ago
Quoted from LouMatt:

Very cool! Thanks for sharing.

#296 9 years ago
Quoted from awarner:

I would be using the warm white LEDs IF I do them (so far only 1 taker). I'll get them from Pinballlife.com though. I've ordered enough parts to do two boards, mine and one other. I can order parts for the big run if enough people sign up. I'll post pics of mine when I finish it.
Thanks,
-Al-

I ended up getting some warm whites from cointaker.

#297 9 years ago

I'm going to try these - they eliminate one major step:

abl_flex_1-smd-led_wedge.jpgabl_flex_1-smd-led_wedge.jpg

#298 9 years ago

It would be really helpful if someone started a thread on the board mod for the Color DMD install. I know the PDF instructions are out there, but I'd like to hear from DW owners who has already performed the mod & if they had any issues with the instructions or recommend any changes

I'd attempt myself, but I need more info first. I'd be worried I'd screw it up & not find a replacement board. Just unwilling to install the DMD & lose the functionality of lighting the doctors.

#299 9 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

It would be really helpful if someone started a thread on the board mod for the Color DMD install. I know the PDF instructions are out there, but I'd like to hear from DW owners who has already performed the mod & if they had any issues with the instructions or recommend any changes
I'd attempt myself, but I need more info first. I'd be worried I'd screw it up & not find a replacement board. Just unwilling to install the DMD & lose the functionality of lighting the doctors.

It's not hard at all if you have done board repairs before such as removing/Desoldering pins from a board. It took me about hour and a half from removal of board to back into the game. No issues with the instructions. They were well done.

#300 9 years ago

I have zero board repair, hence the hesitation. I should take a class at the local electronics store. I'd really like to learn. I have a digital Hakko FX888 soldering station too

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
£ 110.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Boards
Slap Save Creations
Boards
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 85.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 6,511 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 131.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-owners-clubtime-lords-welcome/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.