(Topic ID: 76377)

Doctor Who Owners Club.....Time Lords Welcome!

By HoakyPoaky

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,575 posts
  • 445 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 days ago by pinballtoys
  • Topic is favorited by 197 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Dalek7 (resized).JPG
Dalek33 (resized).JPG
Dalek32 (resized).JPG
TheDoctorWhoMiniPlayfieldv1.2.pdf (PDF preview)
Motor 3 (resized).JPG
Wires1 (resized).JPG
Rebuild18 (resized).JPG
GIBuzzBrown (resized).jpg
Back Board lights2 (resized).jpg
20240407_212554 (resized).jpg
DSCF2875 (resized).JPG
DSCF2874 (resized).JPG
Bally_1992_Doctor_Who_Mini_Playfield_Opto_Bank_Paper_Cover_Template.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,575 posts in this topic. You are on page 58 of 132.
#2851 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

If your not a Rush fan,

I think the Rush mix is great!

But Pinballgoddess isn't a real fan (although she said it was very cool!).

My only real complaint is how the enhanced sound system makes very clear how terrible and scratchy the original sounds are lol.

I have the pinsound headphone jack. Does it also function as an external speaker volume control? Or is it only for headphone volume.

#2852 4 years ago

Ya man. I dig the comet frosted bulbs. I had a TWD that was swapped over to the warm whites and it looks fantastic with the colors on that game. I also put some warm whites in the lower areas of my iron maiden and really like the feel there too.

#2853 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I think the Rush mix is great!
But pinballgoddess isn't a real fan (although she said it was very cool!).
My only real complaint is how the enhanced sound system makes very clear how terrible and scratchy the original sounds are lol.
I have the pinsound headphone jack. Does it also function as an external speaker volume control? Or is it only for headphone volume.

External volume as well.

#2854 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

External volume as well.

Wow!
That solves s problem that PinGoddess asked me about.

I have external pinnovator controls on all my games.

She uses it all the time.

Just perfect! Thanks!

#2855 4 years ago

ok people. Mix is ready on Dropbox. PM me with your email address so I can add you

#2856 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

ok people. Mix is ready on Dropbox. PM me with your email address so I can add you

or try this link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/622epqf0cg02zuh/Doctor_Who_12Doctors.zip?dl=0

do me a favor and let me know your thoughts - I am always wanting to improve the mix! This makes the game SOOOOOOO much more fun IMO.

#2857 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

or try this link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/622epqf0cg02zuh/Doctor_Who_12Doctors.zip?dl=0
do me a favor and let me know your thoughts - I am always wanting to improve the mix! This makes the game SOOOOOOO much more fun IMO.

If it's more or less perfected you could upload it to pinsound maybe?

Fame and fortune awaits! Lol

#2858 4 years ago

If it's more or less perfected you could upload it to pinsound maybe?
Fame and fortune awaits! Lol

maybe after I add the 12th and 13th doctors.

I think there is also an occasional "Affirmative!" callout when you hit the sonic boom ramp. This is because I had installed my K-9 mod there. It is in one of the SFX folders if anybody wants to remove it

#2859 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

maybe after I add the 12th and 13th doctors.
I think there is also an occasional "Affirmative!" callout when you hit the sonic boom ramp. This is because I had installed my K-9 mod there. It is in one of the SFX folders if anybody wants to remove it

That would be amazing!
Peter Capaldi is really popular.

#2860 4 years ago

Ok, the debate is over.

Official Pinballgoddess pinsound test results as follows:

First place:

Rdoyle1978 modern mix with additional doctor voices.

Thus one made Pinballgoddess cry tears of absolute joy when I went through the sample tests. (Real actual tears in her eyes!)

Great job Robert!

Second place:

dendoc Modern mix off the pinsound website.

Pinballgoddess was impressed and excited by this one. She really liked it until she heard the one with added doctors lol.

Third place:

Original sounds from pinsound website.

Pinballgoddess was horrified by this one. She thought is sounded so bad that there was something wrong with the game.

Indeed it's pretty scratchy and annoying lol. She recommended throwing the drive I used for it in the trash lol.

So there you have it.
Not really definitive as a complete review, but I have to agree Rdoyle1978 mix is really good.

I cant wait to hear anything more he adds to it.

Runner up in my opinion is the Rush version from @pinballjah. Its really good but, I think you gotta be a Rush fan (who isnt? Lol).

#2861 4 years ago

Ok, the debate is over.
Official pinsound results as follows:
First place:
rdoyle1978 modern mix with additional doctor voices.
Thus one made pinballgoddess cry tears of absolute joy when I went through the sample tests. (Real actual tears in her eyes!)
Great job Robert!
Second place:
pinballgoddess was impressed and excited by this one. She really liked it until she heard the one with added doctors lol.
Third place:
pinballgoddess was horrified by this one. She thought is sounded so bad that there was something wrong with the game.
Indeed it's pretty scratchy and annoying lol.
So there you have it.
Not really definitive as a complete review, but I have to agree rdoyle1978 mix is really good.

Thanks man!

I should give most of the credit to @dendoc, since that was the mix ("Doctor Who Modern") I started from.

Maybe next weekend? If anyone has samples from particular episodes they want to include, let me know - that is the most time consuming part of this, BY FAR! I included a couple of River Song episode quotes, but not her actual voice, since she's not the Doctor. There are one or two Eccleston quotes, but I had a really hard time finding ones from his episodes that made sense. And there's more Tennant quotes because he's my favorite so far and had the most interesting lines to choose from

#2862 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Thanks man!
Maybe next weekend? If anyone has samples from particular episodes they want to include, let me know - that is the most time consuming part of this, BY FAR! I included a couple of River Song episode quotes, but not her actual voice, since she's not the Doctor. There are one or two Eccleston quotes, but I had a really hard time finding ones from his episodes that made sense. And there's more Tennant quotes because he's my favorite so far and had the most interesting lines to choose from

Anything you add is just icing on the cake!

#2863 4 years ago

Ok, the debate is over.
Official pinballgoddess pinsound test results as follows:
First place:
rdoyle1978 modern mix with additional doctor voices.
Thus one made pinballgoddess cry tears of absolute joy when I went through the sample tests. (Real actual tears in her eyes!)
Great job Robert!
Second place:
pinballgoddess was impressed and excited by this one. She really liked it until she heard the one with added doctors lol.
Third place:
pinballgoddess was horrified by this one. She thought is sounded so bad that there was something wrong with the game.
Indeed it's pretty scratchy and annoying lol. She recommended throwing the drive I used for it in the trash lol.
So there you have it.
Not really definitive as a complete review, but I have to agree rdoyle1978 mix is really good.
Runner up in my opinion is the Rush version from pinballjah. Its really good but, I think you gotta be a Rush fan (who isnt? Lol).

Thanks, still looking for any ideas to improve it. Glad you liked it. I hope you made it to ‘Xanadu’.

#2864 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Thanks, still looking for any ideas to improve it. Glad you liked it. I hope you made it to ‘Zanadu’.

Xanadu!!

#2865 4 years ago

Finished the lighting harness.

Pinballgoddess insisted on a red LED for the "to be continued" insert.

I had a dual-flex in there.
She said it was too orange.

All switches test out, with a ball.

Requested pictures:

20190917_153117 (resized).jpg20190917_153117 (resized).jpg

So, all frosted sunlight color 2smd except for a single red one and 4 of the dual flex cool white on larger or big arrow inserts lol.

Flex dual head wasn't bright enough for the opaque transmat oval.

I used a 4smd cool white on it at an angle, that best lit it up.

Now onto the solenoid flasher harness.

#2866 4 years ago

Picture with GI connector 122 plugged in.

20190917_155921 (resized).jpg20190917_155921 (resized).jpg
#2867 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Thanks man!
I should give most of the credit to dendoc, since that was the mix ("Doctor Who Modern") I started from.

Thanks for that. Did that one years ago when I first got the pinsound board - definitely needed cleaning up!
Just got the Dropbox link so I'll enjoy playing tonight!

#2868 4 years ago

The lowest lane guides look like they would benefit from 2 lights instead of the single lamp.

Is there a mod for this?

Or do I just drill it out and add it in?

Or would it be too distracting?

#2869 4 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

Thanks for that. Did that one years ago when I first got the pinsound board - definitely needed cleaning up!
Just got the Dropbox link so I'll enjoy playing tonight!

Great inspiration, and kept me playing that game for a LONG time. Then I sold it, and 5 minutes later... anyway the Doctor has been back in the house for a while

#2870 4 years ago

The lowest lane guides look like they would benefit from 2 lights instead of the single lamp.
Is there a mod for this?
Or do I just drill it out and add it in?
Or would it be too distracting?

You mean drill through the PF? Try some Comet matrix options first. lots of choices - get a 4SMD strip and just clip it to the existing lamp

#2871 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

You mean drill through the PF? Try some Comet matrix options first. lots of choices - get a 4SMD strip and just clip it to the existing lamp

Hmmm...!

Great idea I'll see what mischief I can get into.

I could drill the playfield, but I'd want to do it before clearcoating etc...

So maybe a lighted post of some sort?

The guides are pretty easy, just need to mount a light?

Something that looks factory or a pair lights that would mount up?

Hmmm... lol!

#2872 4 years ago

Hmmm...!
Great idea I'll see what mischief I can get into.
I could drill the playfield, but I'd want to do it before clearcoating etc...
So maybe a lighted post of some sort?
The guides are pretty easy, just need to mount a light?
Something that looks factory or a pair lights that would mount up?
Hmmm... lol!

Maybe not...

Pinballgoddess likes the idea of the ball vanishing into darkness, or the reaches of time...

She doesnt want a circus pin lol.

She also banned me from drilling 3/8" holes in her playfield...

The voice of reason? Lol...

#2873 4 years ago

Hi guys,
I'm new to the club! I'm picking up a doctor who sunday! There is some work i have to do, the time expander doesn't work the insert needs new decals and the cabinet needs new decals! But I can't wait to pick him up!

#2874 4 years ago
Quoted from dwightheinink:

Hi guys,
I'm new to the club! I'm picking up a doctor who sunday! There is some work i have to do, the time expander doesn't work the insert needs new decals and the cabinet needs new decals! But I can't wait to pick him up!

Best of luck mate, you'll thoroughly enjoy the game. As for the work, it's all going to be worth it. This is definitely a collector's item!

#2875 4 years ago

Hi guys,

Bought mine in April and nearly finished with the playfield stripdown/clean! It wasn't that bad, just haven't had much time... Not that hard to work on and the time expander is easy enough to remove to work on the bench. Good luck!

#2876 4 years ago

Hi guys,

This should help: https://sites.google.com/site/pinballfaz/

Scroll to the bottom of my "website". The last PDF is a whitepaper on working with the Time Expander. IF you have issues, I recommend you create a new thread as this one is pretty cluttered.

faz

#2877 4 years ago

Thanks guys, when i got the pin at home i'll send some pics

#2878 4 years ago

Thanks guys, when i got the pin at home i'll send some pics

Buy Ulf's Linear Rail kit to upgrade the Mini Playfield.

#2879 4 years ago

When I first got my game, in initial tests the time expander locks didnt work.

This hacked 10 opto board might be the culprit:
20190920_101312 (resized).jpg20190920_101312 (resized).jpg
20190920_101303 (resized).jpg20190920_101303 (resized).jpg

Replaced it with this one from marco:
20190920_101323 (resized).jpg20190920_101323 (resized).jpg

My only experience with homepin boards was a complete fiasco.
I bought POA boards to fix my IJ and they didnt work at all (later to be known as defective design).

I hope these actually work.

#2880 4 years ago

Also while shopping at marco, I bought a replacement motor driver board.
20190920_102558 (resized).jpg20190920_102558 (resized).jpg

My thinking was that 25 years of abuse, along with a jammed broken down time expander, would make the board unreliable.

Mine looks a bit torched:
20190920_102550 (resized).jpg20190920_102550 (resized).jpg20190920_102534 (resized).jpg20190920_102534 (resized).jpg

#2881 4 years ago

When I first got my game, in initial tests the time expander locks didnt work.
This hacked 10 opto board might be the culprit:
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Replaced it with this one from marco:
[quoted image]
My only experience with homepin boards was a complete fiasco.
I bought POA boards to fix my IJ and they didnt work at all (later to be known as defective design).
I hope these actually work.

:/ I wish you luck. Pulling for ya!

#2882 4 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Buy Ulf's Linear Rail kit to upgrade the Mini Playfield.

Ulf’s kit is REALLY well made - I do however think it is important to go through Faz’s guide so that you really really understand how the MPF works. Ulf’s kit won’t help you if something else goes wrong on the MPF

#2883 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

:/ I wish you luck. Pulling for ya!

Thanks!
Rebuilding all the mechs now and waiting for the reese rails

#2884 4 years ago

Hi, where can an ulf kit be purchased from? Thanks

#2886 4 years ago

I'm rebuilding the pop bumpers.
Lots of worn out parts:

20190920_140818 (resized).jpg20190920_140818 (resized).jpg
#2887 4 years ago

Pops rebuilt.
I'm thinking of using the frosted bodies instead of the transparent.

Originals are translucent. I'll keep those fir a rainy day...

I also want to try the LED cap/cover.

20190920_141802 (resized).jpg20190920_141802 (resized).jpg20190920_143230 (resized).jpg20190920_143230 (resized).jpg
#2888 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Ulf’s kit is REALLY well made - I do however think it is important to go through Faz’s guide so that you really really understand how the MPF works. Ulf’s kit won’t help you if something else goes wrong on the MPF

Motor/Gearbox would be the only big issue. Ulf's kit fixes the slop from a worn main bracket assembly and rollers. It just makes sense to replace the opto boards too and buy the upgraded motor board Ulf was testing.

#2889 4 years ago

I'm rebuilding the pop bumpers.
Lots of worn out parts:[quoted image]

Thoae parts look good to me! LMAO

#2890 4 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Thoae parts look good to me! LMAO

Yep, they can be cleaned up a bit.
Replace the broken metal yokes, file down the stop and plunger etc.

Weld up cracked rings etc...

But new parts are cheap enough.
So, might as well freshen things up a bit lol.

I reused the coils, they are still good.

#2891 4 years ago

Pop bumper led test.
I think the lighted cover puts out just about the perfect brightness.

And the frosted bodies glow really good without being a huge distraction.

My goal was to add light to the area without going crazy.

20190920_183342 (resized).jpg20190920_183342 (resized).jpg20190920_183346 (resized).jpg20190920_183346 (resized).jpg20190920_183353 (resized).jpg20190920_183353 (resized).jpg
#2892 4 years ago

Pop bumper led test.
My goal was to add light to the area without going crazy.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I added multiple colors to that area, blue, yellow and orange I think - with the bright rings in the light sockets.

I feel like there’s way too much red in the game, and not enough blue for a space themed game. Doing this wasn’t as distracting as you’d think, and it cools off the playfield quite a bit. Might be worth considering.

#2893 4 years ago

Also... FWIW I just ordered a bunch of Zitt’s transparent bodies and they look GREAT but you do need a lot of light in order to really get them looking good. The Comet product which has LEDs on the top and bottom specifically for pops is really the only way to go.

#2894 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Also... FWIW I just ordered a bunch of Zitt’s transparent bodies and they look GREAT but you do need a lot of light in order to really get them looking good. The Comet product which has LEDs on the top and bottom specifically for pops is really the only way to go.

Yes!

I had the transparent bodies in earlier but traded them out for the frosted/translucent.

I wanted a bit more of the body to glow.

I have tons of colored caps.
I'll let it brew a bit and see what Pinballgoddess thinks.

She's the art director, I'm just a grunt lol.

These are the comet lighted tops.
I bought them specifically because they light top and bottom

#2895 4 years ago

Pop bumper led test.
My goal was to add light to the area without going crazy.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I may have chosen orange for the body and yellow for the platters. Clear bodies make it almost too bright, but if you like it, that is all that matters. Looking very nice so far!!

#2896 4 years ago

Can someone take.measurements of the playfield glass switch bracket. I want to make a new one, mine is missing. I need the hole.spacing and size. Thanks,

Ken

59f35589b7707e2ebe02bbb45980832da3bda9dd (resized).jpg59f35589b7707e2ebe02bbb45980832da3bda9dd (resized).jpg
#2897 4 years ago

Pop bumper led test.
My goal was to add light to the area without going crazy.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]</blockquote
You have any transparent jet bumper caps? I am curious to know how it would look on the top jet bumper. I hate the plastic on top glows red.

#2898 4 years ago

Pop bumper led test.

You have transparent colorless jet bumper caps?. I am curious how one would look on the top jet bumper. I dislike how the yellow plastic on top glows red.

#2899 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Motor/Gearbox would be the only big issue. Ulf's kit fixes the slop from a worn main bracket assembly and rollers. It just makes sense to replace the opto boards too and buy the upgraded motor board Ulf was testing.

Thanks!
The well written white paper is a must read for all DW owners and covers all you need to know about the Mini Playfield, and with the help of pinball_faz Im convinced anyone having issues with the elevator will get it working again.
My kit changes the entire setup of how the Mini Playfield works, Ive tried to explain it by visualizing both setups with pictures, not 100% accurate but it gives you a better understanding of the difference.
The new motor controller board by pellew will be a great additon as well when its finished, especially when using it without my kit.
I assume most gearbox that have broke is on a location where the owner doesnt or have little control of the machine, an elevator that has failed or is stuck and has been left on will most likely damage the gearbox as the original motor board will try to keep it running back and forth without over current protection.
20190921_084238 (resized).jpg20190921_084238 (resized).jpg

#2900 4 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Can someone take.measurements of the playfield glass switch bracket. I want to make a new one, mine is missing. I need the hole.spacing and size. Thanks,
Ken[quoted image]

I'll take mine off and post the measurements.

I was taking it off to paint the bracket anyway!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 40.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

£ 110.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 6,575 posts in this topic. You are on page 58 of 132.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-owners-clubtime-lords-welcome/page/58?hl=kuchiyaji and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.