(Topic ID: 76377)

Doctor Who Owners Club.....Time Lords Welcome!

By HoakyPoaky

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,575 posts
  • 445 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 days ago by pinballtoys
  • Topic is favorited by 197 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Dalek7 (resized).JPG
Dalek33 (resized).JPG
Dalek32 (resized).JPG
TheDoctorWhoMiniPlayfieldv1.2.pdf (PDF preview)
Motor 3 (resized).JPG
Wires1 (resized).JPG
Rebuild18 (resized).JPG
GIBuzzBrown (resized).jpg
Back Board lights2 (resized).jpg
20240407_212554 (resized).jpg
DSCF2875 (resized).JPG
DSCF2874 (resized).JPG
Bally_1992_Doctor_Who_Mini_Playfield_Opto_Bank_Paper_Cover_Template.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,575 posts in this topic. You are on page 45 of 132.
#2201 5 years ago
Quoted from lanfeust:

thanks guys! I have noticed that the mini playfield has difficulties to raise. In test, when the playfield is in upright position, it's fine, but when it's down, the mini plfd, sometimes gets stucked, looks like it's too heavy for itself... so I am pretty sure, this bracket was removed because, it was slowing it down...easy solution...

Sounds very similar to the way the MPF in mine behaved when I first got it. Turned out that the main drive gear in the gearbox had worn down the mating surface where a smaller gear was pressed into it causing it to slip when any real load was placed on it. So coming down was good, but raising it up was dodgy. The reset roller bracket, while not being a major part of the issue would have contributed a little extra load at the beginning and end of the cycle so I can see how someone might have jumped to the conclusion that it was causing it.

My fix was to disassemble the gearbox and braise the gears (both metal) together to eliminate the slipping. Some people questioned that choice the first time I mentioned it, but those gears were not intended to slip in the first place so it is a valid (IMHO) approach to the repair. And I've had no MPF issues of that kind since. Probably at least five years now. YMMV

#2202 5 years ago

Does anyone have a "clean" scan of the manual. The ones I have downloaded are low res scans and do not print well. Not really sure I want to pay lots of money for a copied manual from anyone on the internet.

Thanks,

Ken

#2203 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Pulling out the mini playfield is not very hard at all - you just need to make sure you unplug all the connectors (there are a LOT of them!) and remove the time expander top piece and then the 4 screws that hold the miniplayfield in the game. IT takes about 5 minutes after you are familiar with all the steps.
First, read Faz's guide: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxwaW5iYWxsZmF6fGd4OjVlYmVlYzE5OTA0MWNlZmQ
Then read it again. Then read it a 3rd time making sure you are looking at the corresponding parts in your game.
There are a lot of recent posts about having to enlargen the screws that hold the miniplayfield in - I and many others did not have to do this to get the Cliffys in. Remove the miniplayfield, remove the front posts, remove the blue steel flap (and throw it out! it is useless), install the Cliffys.
Then you'll want to reinstall the miniplayfield and check for rubbing. It looks like your game may have had some moisture damage, so the wood may have expanded (hardy har), in which case you would have to sand it down a bit. But you may not need to do anything, which is why check first!
That said, it's really important to install those things. From your pics, you clearly understand the type of damage you can expect. those will help keep it from getting worse.

This is the truth. Taking out the mini playfield was not very difficult using Faz's guide. Take it as an opportunity to do some deep cleaning as well. You'll defiantly want the Cliffy protecting the front edge of the mini playfield. You don't want pinballs bouncing off the edge of the unprotected wood.

#2204 5 years ago
Quoted from lanfeust:

thanks guys! I have noticed that the mini playfield has difficulties to raise. In test, when the playfield is in upright position, it's fine, but when it's down, the mini plfd, sometimes gets stucked, looks like it's too heavy for itself... so I am pretty sure, this bracket was removed because, it was slowing it down...easy solution...

Like Faz and ArcadeTechNerd points out the roller bracket is only a minor part of the problem with the elevator, though its an easy mistake to asume it should be aligned against the edge of the playfield (blue line in pic), the roller slips easily by the release mechanism when properly adjusted and wont cause you any trouble.

#2205 5 years ago

Hey Group,

Just scanned the Time Expander Decal and Drop Targets from an original source. If anyone needs to make new decals, let me know.

Ken

#2206 5 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Hey Group,
Just scanned the Time Expander Decal and Drop Targets from an original source. If anyone needs to make new decals, let me know.
Ken

Would you be willing to share the files? I have been interested in doing a new design for the Time Expander

#2207 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Would you be willing to share the files? I have been interested in doing a new design for the Time Expander

Sure, shoot me a pm

#2208 5 years ago

Here is a sample of my scanned images for the Time Expander and Target Decals.

TE sample (resized).pngTE sample (resized).pngTarget sample (resized).pngTarget sample (resized).png

#2209 5 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Here is a sample of my scanned images for the Time Expander and Target Decals.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Looks Great!!!

#2210 5 years ago

Dr Who finally got some armor upgrades.

Powder coat Galaxy blue over super chrome.

29A9A6DB-0BFD-4F98-BFC2-B4F49BA49002 (resized).jpeg29A9A6DB-0BFD-4F98-BFC2-B4F49BA49002 (resized).jpeg2B563780-816D-4223-9941-C2A6A88240C1 (resized).jpeg2B563780-816D-4223-9941-C2A6A88240C1 (resized).jpegACCD1943-3D2C-4464-ACC0-115D6E1F9619 (resized).jpegACCD1943-3D2C-4464-ACC0-115D6E1F9619 (resized).jpegCF216E95-1CFF-4A2A-BD39-70B86D27A8D3 (resized).jpegCF216E95-1CFF-4A2A-BD39-70B86D27A8D3 (resized).jpeg
#2211 5 years ago

Saw this and had to share...

t87drt6x15e21 (resized).jpgt87drt6x15e21 (resized).jpg
#2212 5 years ago

That is awesome. Might have to try that next time it snows...

#2213 5 years ago
Quoted from davisjl1979:

Dr Who finally got some armor upgrades.
Powder coat Galaxy blue over super chrome.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

It looks really great! Just a heads up, those plastic spacers between the legs will eat into the cab with time doing the opposite of what they were meant to. Get them off!

#2214 5 years ago
Quoted from supermoot:

It looks really great! Just a heads up, those plastic spacers between the legs will eat into the cab with time doing the opposite of what they were meant to. Get them off!

Do you have any examples of the protectors damaging the cabinets? I've never heard of that coming up before.

#2215 5 years ago

The translite on my machine always bled light through a little bit due to a spill before I bought it. I read a bunch of threads and decided I was going to attempt to fix it by adding some opaque white. Long story short when dabbing it with a wet paper towel it got really bad. Anyone know of where I could source a NOS or used one?

drwho (resized).jpgdrwho (resized).jpg
#2216 5 years ago
Quoted from cadmium:

The translite on my machine always bled light through a little bit due to a spill before I bought it. I read a bunch of threads and decided I was going to attempt to fix it by adding some opaque white. Long story short when dabbing it with a wet paper towel it got really bad. Anyone know of where I could source a NOS or used one?
[quoted image]

Try E bay or buy the Alternate Translites.

#2217 5 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Try E bay or buy the Alternate Translites.

Agree with that.

Honestly, the factory head art is not my favorite. There's some other art that folks have created that's really nice.

OR... try to figure out something yourself. You really only need to worry about aligning the CPU controlled lights with the graphic.

faz

#2218 5 years ago

I'm a DW owner again, and very happy to have one back in the house!

Quoted from Doctor6:

Anyone here use the pinsound board with doctor who? The classic remake sounds amazing. If you use pinsound does it still do that annoying super loud mode when you do the fourth wave in video mode?

When I last owned DW I had my pinballs in the garage so this didn't bother me too much. Now they're in the main house and the volume-doubling effect of Wave 4 Video Mode, and also the Sonic Booms, is making the game pretty inhospitable to the rest of the family unless I have the volume so low I can't hear it for most of the game.

I'm very curious to know if the Pinsound board evens out the sound volumes across the game. If it does, it'll be a purchase from me for that alone.

#2219 5 years ago

If you add a headphone jack you'll just have the mechanical sounds being generated. Try turning the volume all the way down and see if the family approves; if so, add the jack.

Pinsound has options. There may be some DIY solutions too.
faz

#2220 5 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

I'm a DW owner again, and very happy to have one back in the house!

When I last owned DW I had my pinballs in the garage so this didn't bother me too much. Now they're in the main house and the volume-doubling effect of Wave 4 Video Mode, and also the Sonic Booms, is making the game pretty inhospitable to the rest of the family unless I have the volume so low I can't hear it for most of the game.
I'm very curious to know if the Pinsound board evens out the sound volumes across the game. If it does, it'll be a purchase from me for that alone.

I've had a pinsound in mine almost continuously, and I've never noticed this volume bug. Even if it were present, you could dial down the specific sounds used in video mode. I'd say go ahead ...

1 week later
#2221 5 years ago

We just installed this alt translite from ebay and love it, did have to trim just a bit. Photo doesn't do it justice.

drwho (resized).jpgdrwho (resized).jpg

#2222 5 years ago

Also thought I would share a pic I just found of a time I tried my hand at cake decoration about 10 yrs ago... lets just say I still have my day job, LOL

Dalek_cake (resized).jpgDalek_cake (resized).jpg

#2223 5 years ago
Quoted from neemypeemy:

We just installed this alt translite from ebay and love it, did have to trim just a bit. Photo doesn't do it justice.
[quoted image]

That is a very cool alt translite. How does it work with the targeted lighting behind it, though, which normally lines up with the doctors?

#2224 5 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

That is a very cool alt translite. How does it work with the targeted lighting behind it, though, which normally lines up with the doctors?

I've gpt the same alternate translite and it looks awesome on the game. The doctors light up on the playfield and they also light up on the speaker panel. You never even notice them not being on the translite. I've heard people ask about the way the lights line up and complain that they aren't in the right spot. I don't think I've read that from those that purchased and installed this alternate translite, It isn't a problem for me. If anything it looks like the Tardis and Daleks are battling back and forth in the Translite. It's a cool effect and it works for me. I kept the original and will keep it with the game but this replacement was a very nice upgrade.

#2225 5 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

I've gpt the same alternate translite and it looks awesome on the game. The doctors light up on the playfield and they also light up on the speaker panel. You never even notice them not being on the translite. I've heard people ask about the way the lights line up and complain that they aren't in the right spot. I don't think I've read that from those that purchased and installed this alternate translite, It isn't a problem for me. If anything it looks like the Tardis and Daleks are battling back and forth in the Translite. It's a cool effect and it works for me. I kept the original and will keep it with the game but this replacement was a very nice upgrade.

I posted about this same translite about a year ago - it looks awesome! I'm not clear on why they have to be trimmed - I had to do that too.

The backbox flashers do line up behind Daleks and the Tardis pretty amazingly well, and the ones in the middle light up the DW logo. While I think the alternate 7-doctors-in-shadow is the best looking translite on its own, this one is a photo so it doesn't distract as much that the artwork is different than the PF.

1 week later
#2226 5 years ago

I'm on my second DW and this one is particularly bad at the issue of the one-way gate to the jet bumpers bouncing open and letting balls back through. It's especially bad when the balls returning around the orbit usually end up STDM!

I know this is a fairly common issue on DW so I'm wondering if anyone has come up with ideas to solve it?

I'm thinking about trying some kind of spring steel wire against the gate to hold it down a little more so that it is still soft enough to easily let balls through but counteract the bouncing effect from an active ball in the jet bumpers.

#2227 5 years ago

Anybody have spare slingshot plastics for sale?
Jeff

#2228 5 years ago

Wild shot here but we recently joined the Dr Who owners club again for the third time. Hoping someone might have a line on a new or used dome for the topper. I know long shot but if anyone has one for sale I would love to hear from you! Thanks. Still love this game.

#2229 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Wild shot here but we recently joined the Dr Who owners club again for the third time. Hoping someone might have a line on a new or used dome for the topper. I know long shot but if anyone has one for sale I would love to hear from you! Thanks. Still love this game.

Get in line, I wish Freeplay40 would remake this topper.

#2230 5 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

I'm on my second DW and this one is particularly bad at the issue of the one-way gate to the jet bumpers bouncing open and letting balls back through. It's especially bad when the balls returning around the orbit usually end up STDM!
I know this is a fairly common issue on DW so I'm wondering if anyone has come up with ideas to solve it?
I'm thinking about trying some kind of spring steel wire against the gate to hold it down a little more so that it is still soft enough to easily let balls through but counteract the bouncing effect from an active ball in the jet bumpers.

add a small weight to the flap to keep it down.

#2231 5 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

add a small weight to the flap to keep it down.

That's a good idea, much simpler than what I had been thinking of doing!

#2232 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

My topper is rather mangled along the bottom so I considered getting a new one made at an acrylic thermoforming/laser cutting supplier. It would be tapered but not rounded at the top.

#2233 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

http://www.ministryofpinball.com/en/game-specific-items/bally/dr-who/dr-who-clear-topper-dome-with-decals.html

#2234 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

There’s also a pic in this thread somewhere where a guy made one out of an acrylic box, like the ones you can display a football in. It looked REALLY nice, protects the Dalek just as
Well and IMO better than the stock one

#2235 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

There’s also a pic in this thread somewhere where a guy made one out of an acrylic box, like the ones you can display a football in. It looked REALLY nice, protects the Dalek just as
Well and IMO better than the stock one

That was me

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-owners-clubtime-lords-welcome/page/38#post-4378689

#2236 5 years ago
Quoted from neemypeemy:

[quoted image]

I LOVE it!
Been browsing the bay without any luck.
Would you have a link to the ebay shop by any chance?

#2237 5 years ago

Yes! That still looks great. I absolutely prefer that one to the original; something about the beveled edge makes it look more evil!

#2238 5 years ago

Here's the Jpgs for the Topper Decals. One in white and one with the gray tint.

http://jonjandran.com/pics/jonjandran/Dr.WhoTopperDecal.jpg

http://jonjandran.com/pics/jonjandran/Dr.WhoTopperDecal2.jpg

Just print 2 of them on sticker paper and put one on the front and one on each side.

#2239 5 years ago
Quoted from hailrazer:

Here's the Jpgs for the Topper Decals. One in white and one with the gray tint.
http://jonjandran.com/pics/jonjandran/Dr.WhoTopperDecal.jpg
http://jonjandran.com/pics/jonjandran/Dr.WhoTopperDecal2.jpg
Just print 2 of them on sticker paper and put one on the front and one on each side.

WOW, thanks so much for sharing the great decals and replacement topper idea. I may just go that route. Much appreciated!

#2240 5 years ago

My DW Lifter Kit is on its way. I will post installation pics soon.

08a4620a0a61942e67327f732223c708c4cff4a6 (resized).jpg08a4620a0a61942e67327f732223c708c4cff4a6 (resized).jpg
#2241 5 years ago

Wow! What’s that? Replaces the time expander motor?

#2242 5 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

My DW Lifter Kit is on its way. I will post installation pics soon.[quoted image]

Expecting to get mine some time in the next few months too. Amazing work!!

#2243 5 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

My DW Lifter Kit is on its way. I will post installation pics soon.[quoted image]

Where can I order one? Looks like a fantastic upgrade!!

#2246 5 years ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:

Wow! What’s that? Replaces the time expander motor?

Not the motor..only the mechanism that
Raises and lowers

#2247 5 years ago
Quoted from neemypeemy:

Hi all,
So in one of my Doctor's past lives, the ramp was replaced. Apparently it did not come with the ramp sticker. So what someone did was print out of the ramp sticker image onto paper, sandwiched it sloppily in between two pieces of clear packing tape, and then stuck under the metal bracket to hold it in....
Anyone have any idea of how I can find the image of this sticker so I could find somewhere to have another sticker made? I've searched this site and googled and not having much luck.
Thanks!
[quoted image]

neemypeemy Have you had time to recreate this decal?
Want to replace mine now.

#2248 5 years ago

Yes I'm in the Time Lord club!! But there's a bit of a but...

Some enemy of Gallifrey has snipped some wires in the Tardis' main console. So at the moment she's lifeless.

My plan at the moment is to take some 'time' and solder these properly one by one. Then figure out why she won't energise.

Any help from experienced pinheads is much appreciated! Inspirational Dr Who messages also welcome

Cheers.

20190311_220323 (resized).jpg20190311_220323 (resized).jpg
#2249 5 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Yes I'm in the Time Lord club!! But there's a bit of a but...
Some enemy of Gallifrey has snipped some wires in the Tardis' main console. So at the moment she's lifeless.
My plan at the moment is to take some 'time' and solder these properly one by one. Then figure out why she won't energise.
Any help from experienced pinheads is much appreciated! Inspirational Dr Who messages also welcome
Cheers.
[quoted image]

Holly Hell I hope that picture is a joke or you got a crazy deal. That is nuts!!

#2250 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Holly Hell I hope that picture is a joke or you got a crazy deal. That is nuts!!

It's not a joke it's real... but I did get a good deal!

Got to help it breath again...

Think of the patience of the previous owner to reattach all those wires using terminal blocks!! Madness.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

£ 110.00
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Johnson City, TN
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 6,575 posts in this topic. You are on page 45 of 132.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-owners-clubtime-lords-welcome/page/45?hl=eyeamred2u and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.