(Topic ID: 76377)

Doctor Who Owners Club.....Time Lords Welcome!

By HoakyPoaky

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,575 posts
  • 445 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 days ago by pinballtoys
  • Topic is favorited by 197 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Dalek7 (resized).JPG
Dalek33 (resized).JPG
Dalek32 (resized).JPG
TheDoctorWhoMiniPlayfieldv1.2.pdf (PDF preview)
Motor 3 (resized).JPG
Wires1 (resized).JPG
Rebuild18 (resized).JPG
GIBuzzBrown (resized).jpg
Back Board lights2 (resized).jpg
20240407_212554 (resized).jpg
DSCF2875 (resized).JPG
DSCF2874 (resized).JPG
Bally_1992_Doctor_Who_Mini_Playfield_Opto_Bank_Paper_Cover_Template.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,575 posts in this topic. You are on page 44 of 132.
#2151 5 years ago

Does anyone know how to prevent the automatic reset of high score at a predetermined number of games played? I haven't located it in the manual.

#2152 5 years ago

I dont remember where it is exactly, but it's there. When you find it in the menu, change it from 2000 to off.

#2153 5 years ago

My Doctor who is missing the cabinet flipper opto boards and has old school switches. I am going back to the opto boards and need pics of the wiring for the connectors. I see the wiring in the op manual, bit a good visual reference is reassuring. Thanks, Ken

20181227_190800 (resized).jpg20181227_190800 (resized).jpg20181227_190854 (resized).jpg20181227_190854 (resized).jpg
#2154 5 years ago

Hello?? Does anyone see my post?

Ken

#2155 5 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Hello?? Does anyone see my post?
Ken

Nobody.
Hope it can help.

20190108_133917 (resized).jpg20190108_133917 (resized).jpg
#2156 5 years ago

And

20190108_133902 (resized).jpg20190108_133902 (resized).jpg
#2157 5 years ago

and.

20190108_133852 (resized).jpg20190108_133852 (resized).jpg
#2158 5 years ago

Thank You so much. I appreciate you taking the time. This re-import has been a nightmare.

Ken

#2159 5 years ago

Good Luck.
Most of cases I'm looking for visual information on this site :
http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/

#2160 5 years ago

ok, I will check Chris's site out.

#2161 5 years ago

eyeamred2u I was going to send you some pics when I got back in town but see onlydjz beat me. I'm still learning about everything, so not a big help knowledge wise, but if you need any other pics, just shoot me a PM.

#2162 5 years ago

If you’re interested in RADCALS for Dr Who head over to this post and let him know!

Would love a new set of decals.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/revised-rad-cals-for-many-more-wms-games#post-4779599

#2163 5 years ago
Quoted from davisjl1979:

If you’re interested in RADCALS for Dr Who head over to this post and let him know!
Would love a new set of decals.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/revised-rad-cals-for-many-more-wms-games#post-4779599

Wowser! Thanks!

#2164 5 years ago

Hi all,

So in one of my Doctor's past lives, the ramp was replaced. Apparently it did not come with the ramp sticker. So what someone did was print out of the ramp sticker image onto paper, sandwiched it sloppily in between two pieces of clear packing tape, and then stuck under the metal bracket to hold it in....

Anyone have any idea of how I can find the image of this sticker so I could find somewhere to have another sticker made? I've searched this site and googled and not having much luck.

Thanks!

rampsticker (resized).jpgrampsticker (resized).jpg
#2165 5 years ago

Let me see what I can do. I have my ramps off, I will snap a pic and see if I can get a good result. I just redid the whomobile decal for my game.

#2166 5 years ago
Quoted from neemypeemy:

Hi all,
So in one of my Doctor's past lives, the ramp was replaced. Apparently it did not come with the ramp sticker. So what someone did was print out of the ramp sticker image onto paper, sandwiched it sloppily in between two pieces of clear packing tape, and then stuck under the metal bracket to hold it in....
Anyone have any idea of how I can find the image of this sticker so I could find somewhere to have another sticker made? I've searched this site and googled and not having much luck.
Thanks!
[quoted image]

Can't somebody just scan the one you have?

#2167 5 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

Can't somebody just scan the one you have?

It may be hard to see on the pic but where it says Add Doctor it's all crinkled, not laying flat, so it wouldn't scan well. If there is no where to buy these and no one has an image for it, I'll have to give it a try and then see if I can photoshop it.

#2168 5 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Let me see what I can do. I have my ramps off, I will snap a pic and see if I can get a good result. I just redid the whomobile decal for my game.

Thanks eyeamred2u !

#2169 5 years ago

Here is a quick snap of the sticker on the ramp. If you need a better pic or angle, let me know

Ken

20190111_150225 (resized).jpg20190111_150225 (resized).jpg
#2170 5 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Here is a quick snap of the sticker on the ramp. If you need a better pic or angle, let me know
Ken
[quoted image]

Thank you so much! As you can see pseudo replacement is all cut up, so yours should be perfect to get into photoshop and fix up.

So on the original ramps are these stickers underneath the plastic, rather than on top?

#2171 5 years ago

...back again with a picture request. My playfield sits uneven in my game and it seems the pivot hinges are missing parts. I have bolts that are chewed up. Is there supposed to be a pivot nut along with the bolt? Going to check manual for parts.

Thanks,

Ken

20190113_130003 (resized).jpg20190113_130003 (resized).jpg
#2172 5 years ago

Would anybody have hi-quality scans of the side ramp decals?
Thanks

#2173 5 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Is there supposed to be a pivot nut along with the bolt?

Pivot Nut (resized).jpgPivot Nut (resized).jpgPivot Nut 2 (resized).jpgPivot Nut 2 (resized).jpgPivot Nut 3 (resized).jpgPivot Nut 3 (resized).jpg
#2174 5 years ago

Thank you, I just wanted to make sure there was not a washer in there as well.

Ken

#2175 5 years ago

That's a tough one.

Quoted from yellowghost:

Would anybody have hi-quality scans of the side ramp decals?
Thanks

#2177 5 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

That's a tough one.

Not too tough. They come with the repro ramp sets you see online. So surely they come separately somewhere!

#2178 5 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Not too tough. They come with the repro ramp sets you see online. So surely they come separately somewhere!

I wish. I emailed the places that stock them and never even got a response. The only decal available anywhere is the time transponder cover decal.

#2179 5 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I've been looking for 2 years - they do not appear to come separately

#2180 5 years ago

Ideally,it would be nice to have decals available seperate from the ramps. Not sure why the vendors do not sell them this way for many games.

#2181 5 years ago

Hi all - I'm a relatively new owner of a Doctor Who, and had a few questions. Thanks in advance for anyone who chimes in. I want to say up front that I'm NOT very comfortable doing any in-depth work on the machine. I did successfully install a Color DMD and Cliffy for the ramp, but I'm afraid to go much further than that due to my lack of experience.

I bought the machine with a known possible issue - the prior owner had placed some tape on the black top flap of the Time Expander. Unsurprisingly, after my purchase it eventually started to stick up. It does already have the Time Expander Entrance protector installed, and I did buy the corresponding Mini Playfield Edge protector and the Cliffy top flap, but now I'm afraid I'll have to take out the entire Expander and do more work than I'm comfortable with.

Has anyone used just the Cliffy top flap and not the Edge protector? It seems like perhaps the top flap alone could be replaced readily enough with the Cliffy version. Or is it best in my situation to just use the OEM top flap? If so, is there anything special to install the OEM version, and does anyone know where I could order it? Sorry - I know there are a lot of write-ups regarding the Time Expander, but I couldn't readily find my questions out there.

Another minor issue, just cosmetic, is a scratch near one of the companions (apparently from a tool). Any thoughts on if I should try to do any repair, color it in, or just leave it as-is?

Looking at my picture, I just notice the metal on the Time Expander is oxidized. What works well on that - just some standard metal polish, like Flitz?

Thank you again for any guidance.

time expander (resized).jpgtime expander (resized).jpgscratch (resized).jpgscratch (resized).jpg
#2182 5 years ago

I know Marco Specialties sells a replacement flap or you can buy blue spring steel and make your own. I will see if I have some, If I do I can make one for you.

As for metal polish, go buy Nevrdull and use some elbow grease to clean the dull metal.

#2183 5 years ago
Quoted from opt_prime:

Hi all - I'm a relatively new owner of a Doctor Who, and had a few questions. Thanks in advance for anyone who chimes in. I want to say up front that I'm NOT very comfortable doing any in-depth work on the machine. I did successfully install a Color DMD and Cliffy for the ramp, but I'm afraid to go much further than that due to my lack of experience.
I bought the machine with a known possible issue - the prior owner had placed some tape on the black top flap of the Time Expander. Unsurprisingly, after my purchase it eventually started to stick up. It does already have the Time Expander Entrance protector installed, and I did buy the corresponding Mini Playfield Edge protector and the Cliffy top flap, but now I'm afraid I'll have to take out the entire Expander and do more work than I'm comfortable with.
Has anyone used just the Cliffy top flap and not the Edge protector? It seems like perhaps the top flap alone could be replaced readily enough with the Cliffy version. Or is it best in my situation to just use the OEM top flap? If so, is there anything special to install the OEM version, and does anyone know where I could order it? Sorry - I know there are a lot of write-ups regarding the Time Expander, but I couldn't readily find my questions out there.
Another minor issue, just cosmetic, is a scratch near one of the companions (apparently from a tool). Any thoughts on if I should try to do any repair, color it in, or just leave it as-is?
Looking at my picture, I just notice the metal on the Time Expander is oxidized. What works well on that - just some standard metal polish, like Flitz?
[quoted image][quoted image]

Welcome to the Dr Who club!

#2184 5 years ago
Quoted from opt_prime:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Cliff sells 3 protectors for that area. One on top,one wraps around the face of the time expandor and one wraps around the oposite face of the playfield. I would buy the one that protects the face. Not sure if the one on top is more durable than the stock piece but might as well buy it. It wont tarnish like the original

#2185 5 years ago
Quoted from opt_prime:

Sorry - I know there are a lot of write-ups regarding the Time Expander, but I couldn't readily find my questions out there.

Welcome to the club! It would help to give us a rough idea where you are. There's a lot of folks out there that have done deep repairs on this game. Who knows... one might be around the corner and a beer away from stopping over to help you out.

The pucker-factor on the MPF is pretty high until you pull it out once. I can do it in about 10 minutes as can many others. neemypeemy most recently

faz

#2186 5 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

Welcome to the club! It would help to give us a rough idea where you are. There's a lot of folks out there that have done deep repairs on this game. Who knows... one might be around the corner and a beer away from stopping over to help you out.
The pucker-factor on the MPF is pretty high until you pull it out once. I can do it in about 10 minutes as can many others. neemypeemy most recently
faz

LOL pinball_faz is the man... Couldn't have done it without your guide.

#2187 5 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

faz

Thanks to all for the replies. I live in the Denver, Colorado area - I know there are other enthusiasts in my city, and at least one pinball club, but unfortunately my hours prevent me from attending any meetings. To clarify, I do have in my possession all the Cliffy pieces for the Time Expander, but am hesitant to start on such a project which may require adjustments so they can all fit without rubbing against each other. I read that can be the most difficult part to contend with. My backup plan was to just replace the warped top flap in my photo (thanks for the mention of Marco Specialties), but my preferred route is to replace them all with Cliffy's.

#2188 5 years ago

Seems like a no brainer to just pull the MPF or at least raise it and install the protectors. For a game like Doctor Who, that MPF needs to be inspected and cleaned, so get your feet wet and jump right in.

#2189 5 years ago
Quoted from opt_prime:

Thanks to all for the replies. I live in the Denver, Colorado area - I know there are other enthusiasts in my city, and at least one pinball club, but unfortunately my hours prevent me from attending any meetings. To clarify, I do have in my possession all the Cliffy pieces for the Time Expander, but am hesitant to start on such a project which may require adjustments so they can all fit without rubbing against each other. I read that can be the most difficult part to contend with. My backup plan was to just replace the warped top flap in my photo (thanks for the mention of Marco Specialties), but my preferred route is to replace them all with Cliffy's.

Pulling out the mini playfield is not very hard at all - you just need to make sure you unplug all the connectors (there are a LOT of them!) and remove the time expander top piece and then the 4 screws that hold the miniplayfield in the game. IT takes about 5 minutes after you are familiar with all the steps.

First, read Faz's guide: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxwaW5iYWxsZmF6fGd4OjVlYmVlYzE5OTA0MWNlZmQ

Then read it again. Then read it a 3rd time making sure you are looking at the corresponding parts in your game.

There are a lot of recent posts about having to enlargen the screws that hold the miniplayfield in - I and many others did not have to do this to get the Cliffys in. Remove the miniplayfield, remove the front posts, remove the blue steel flap (and throw it out! it is useless), install the Cliffys.

Then you'll want to reinstall the miniplayfield and check for rubbing. It looks like your game may have had some moisture damage, so the wood may have expanded (hardy har), in which case you would have to sand it down a bit. But you may not need to do anything, which is why check first!

That said, it's really important to install those things. From your pics, you clearly understand the type of damage you can expect. those will help keep it from getting worse.

#2190 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

There are a lot of recent posts about having to enlargen the screws that hold the miniplayfield in - I and many others did not have to do this to get the Cliffys in. Remove the miniplayfield, remove the front posts, remove the blue steel flap (and throw it out! it is useless), install the Cliffys.

In all fairness, most of the "elongating" need is due to a replacement MPF platform. CLEARLY yours is original stock I don't suspect you are having this issue.

I'm also willing to call you to talk you through any questions.
faz

#2191 5 years ago

One thing I would like to ad. Once everything is fixed and the time expandor is installed. Raise it to the highest height before you install that steel shroud. If its not centered, the optos will get stuck and it will jam.

#2192 5 years ago

Thanks to you all for the encouragement to give it a try - I hope to take off the mini playfield over the next 1 to 2 weeks and give it the full Cliffy treatment!

#2193 5 years ago

Hi everyone,
I am a new owner of a Dr who, and, on mine, the "red doors" on the mini playfield don't seem to go down, they are always in the up position...
According to the manual, everything mecanical parts seem to be present, but thing is, I don't see any mecanism or action that could make them down...so, is there something missing or is there a trick?

#2194 5 years ago

Under the playfield. Look for the roller.

MPF (resized).jpgMPF (resized).jpg
#2195 5 years ago

also look to make sure the flaps are not hanging up on the spring steel. They can get bent and the flaps stay up, but mostly likely the bracket is missing or the bearing that is on the bracket that engages the mechanisms to lower flaps as in Catch86's pic

#2196 5 years ago

Ok thanks ! I understand now, I am missing the all bracket...damn!

#2197 5 years ago

Marcospec has the bracket, then buy some round nylon washers 3/4" diam with 3/8" hole and mak it about 5/8" thick or make your own bushing

#2198 5 years ago
Quoted from lanfeust:

Ok thanks ! I understand now, I am missing the all bracket...damn!

Note that the bracket can be adjusted a bit and when its too far to the left the roller squeezes/pushes too hard against the release mechanism while it passes, so its better to angle it more to the right when its time for installation and just readjust a bit to the left if its not working properly.

Flaptargetrelease (resized).jpgFlaptargetrelease (resized).jpg
#2199 5 years ago

thanks guys! I have noticed that the mini playfield has difficulties to raise. In test, when the playfield is in upright position, it's fine, but when it's down, the mini plfd, sometimes gets stucked, looks like it's too heavy for itself... so I am pretty sure, this bracket was removed because, it was slowing it down...easy solution...

#2200 5 years ago

I'd suspect that either the cam is off-center or the gearbox is broken. The amount of drag caused by that roller is pretty slight. The mechanism is way over engineered for three tiny flaps.

faz

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

£ 110.00
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Johnson City, TN
Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

There are 6,575 posts in this topic. You are on page 44 of 132.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-owners-clubtime-lords-welcome/page/44?hl=robotworkshop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.