(Topic ID: 76377)

Doctor Who Owners Club.....Time Lords Welcome!

By HoakyPoaky

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,575 posts
  • 445 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by pinballtoys
  • Topic is favorited by 197 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Dalek7 (resized).JPG
Dalek33 (resized).JPG
Dalek32 (resized).JPG
TheDoctorWhoMiniPlayfieldv1.2.pdf (PDF preview)
Motor 3 (resized).JPG
Wires1 (resized).JPG
Rebuild18 (resized).JPG
GIBuzzBrown (resized).jpg
Back Board lights2 (resized).jpg
20240407_212554 (resized).jpg
DSCF2875 (resized).JPG
DSCF2874 (resized).JPG
Bally_1992_Doctor_Who_Mini_Playfield_Opto_Bank_Paper_Cover_Template.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,575 posts in this topic. You are on page 43 of 132.
#2101 5 years ago
Quoted from Niterider:

I’d be interested in it if it’s in better shape then my current mini pf. I just pulled mine out to work on some optos that are misbehaving.
Can you get a pic or two so we can see what shape it is in?

Sure, next time I'm over there.

#2102 5 years ago

Just finished up my led speaker panel. Made it out of 3/8 plexi. I think it came out great

#2103 5 years ago
Quoted from N8man:

Just finished up my led speaker panel. Made it out of 3/8 plexi. I think it came out great

My last DW had one of those. I absolutely love them -

#2104 5 years ago

Hi Time Lords,

Noticed my Doctor Who is missing the playfield glass switch and bracket. Can someone snap a few picture of this bracket and wiring for me? Where do the wires connect? Under the playfield? I see wires spliced together, juwt want to make sure I have identified the correct wires ( Wht-Red & Grn-Gry) #82 in the Switch Matrix.

#2105 5 years ago
Quoted from N8man:

Pretty cool !
It's a commercial item or a DIY ?

#2106 5 years ago

Diy, couldn't justify $300 for something I could make for under $35

#2107 5 years ago
Quoted from N8man:

Diy, couldn't justify $300 for something I could make for under $35

Yeah it is really nice - can you change the LED colors?

#2108 5 years ago

Yes it's just a standard led strip controller, flash fade, single colors

#2109 5 years ago

I’ve been working on my time expander, and I’m looking for some replacement parts for when I put it back together.

The main thing I’m looking for is the plastic cover that covers the top of the mini playfield. Mine is pretty banged up.

I’m also looking for the decals that go on that plastic top and the metal shroud that is behind the mini playfield. The Master in the back, etc... mine’s not too bad, but it’s got a few scuffs.

Marco lists the cover, but it’s not in stock.

Luckily, the ball guides I can straighten, grind the mushrooms and polish back into shape. And at least the mini playfield had Mylar covering most of it, so at least that part still looks good...and the Cliffy’s will cover the the edge that has been nearly obliterated.

So does anyone know where some of these parts may be still available?

#2110 5 years ago
Quoted from Niterider:

Marco lists the cover, but it’s not in stock.

Is this one of the pieces you are looking for? If so I make these, thicker than the original, for $45 plus shipping.

IMG_1312 (resized).JPGIMG_1312 (resized).JPG

#2111 5 years ago

Decals can be found at planetary pinball or BAA for the time expander cover. The metal shroud with the master on it....I've never seen available.

#2112 5 years ago

“Adjust left pop bumper switch”

Yeah. That was fun...

#2113 5 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Is this one of the pieces you are looking for? If so I make these, thicker than the original, for $45 plus shipping.
[quoted image]

Yep, that’s the one.

Are you running an ad here on Pinside?

And I saw Marco had the sticker for this part. It doesn’t surprise me that much that the master sticker isn’t available, but I did order a sheet with the insert decal so I can touch up a couple of bad spots on the main play field. So if that exists, maybe someone will get around to the other decals in the future.

#2114 5 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

[quoted image]

Did you ever make versions of this in color? I thought I read you may make some in red or blue.

#2115 5 years ago
Quoted from Niterider:

Are you running an ad here on Pinside?

I have a thread here on Pinside... Freeplay40 Ramps. That's where I have posted most of my stuff. If you go to the first page of the post, the list of ramps I do is shown there and pretty current.

On another note, I also just checked Marco for the Time Expander decal and I 'm pretty sure it was "In Stock". Just looked again and it is out of stock. Bay Area doesn't have it but Planetary Pinball shows it in stock for $27. Think it was $34.95 at Marco.

#2116 5 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Did you ever make versions of this in color? I thought I read you may make some in red or blue.

I can do them in red or blue, but I charge extra for the process. I just did a Pinbot blue Visor for another Pinsider.

#2117 5 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I have a thread here on Pinside... Freeplay40 Ramps. That's where I have posted most of my stuff. If you go to the first page of the post, the list of ramps I do is shown there and pretty current.
On another note, I also just checked Marco for the Time Expander decal and I 'm pretty sure it was "In Stock". Just looked again and it is out of stock. Bay Area doesn't have it but Planetary Pinball shows it in stock for $27. Think it was $34.95 at Marco.

I’ll look up your thread shortly.

Marco sold out? I guess that means I bought the last one with the other parts that I ordered.

#2118 5 years ago
Quoted from N8man:

It looks sooo good. Can you please give us some more info how you made it. I am not quite sure if the Plexi is on top or underneath the original Plexi. Some detailed pics might help.
Also to what circuit/lamp did you connect theed strips? 12V or 6V strips?

#2119 5 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

27 dollars for a decal??! Thats crazy.

#2120 5 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

I totally agree. I have been trying to convince Planetary to stock decals for the ramps I create. No luck. I think what people are going to do is just figure out how to make their own...Not that difficult.

#2121 5 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I totally agree. I have been trying to convince Planetary to stock decals for the ramps I create. No luck. I think what people are going to do is just figure out how to make their own...Not that difficult.

Australian$20 (US$15) from
https://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/31-1688.html

#2122 5 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

It also has all of the decals for the Tardis.

#2123 5 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

It is, but it costs about that much to recreate it yourself and get printed properly on that glossy material. PITA. The tardis stickers are kind of lame though - that USB hub mod looks far, far better

#2124 5 years ago

Sorry didn't take any pics while I was making the panel. Basically order 3/8 plexi cut to the size of the wood speaker panel. The used the wood panel as a template with the exception of the tweeter hole which I just copied the other side. Cut all the holes with a zip roto. Ruffed the surface with sand paper. Added led strip at top and bottom. Some body here on pinside has a little video on making one

#2125 5 years ago
Quoted from N8man:

Sorry didn't take any pics while I was making the panel. Basically order 3/8 plexi cut to the size of the wood speaker panel. The used the wood panel as a template with the exception of the tweeter hole which I just copied the other side. Cut all the holes with a zip roto. Ruffed the surface with sand paper. Added led strip at top and bottom. Some body here on pinside has a little video on making one

1) How did you attach the new Plexi to the old original Plexi with the images?
2) Does the new Plexi stick out by 3/8?
3) How and where did you rout the wires for the led strips?
4) Yours changes colours. Did you use RGB strip and where did you pick up the 12V from?
Sorry about all the questions the devil is in the detail.

#2126 5 years ago
Quoted from BioBa:

1) How did you attach the new Plexi to the old original Plexi with the images?
2) Does the new Plexi stick out by 3/8?
3) How and where did you rout the wires for the led strips?
4) Yours changes colours. Did you use RGB strip and where did you pick up the 12V from?
Sorry about all the questions the devil is in the detail.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-owners-clubtime-lords-welcome/page/39#post-4400291

1: It is held by the top and bottom channels
2: New plexi replaces the old 3/8" speaker panel. The end result is the exact size of the original.
3: Led strips fit in the top and bottom channels. Cut a small notch in the channel on one end in the back for the wires to go through into the backbox.
4: Test point 3 or 1 IIRC

1 week later
#2127 5 years ago

The Doctor has some pinstadium love now!

6C29ED5C-81D5-4CB1-A10D-8A343EF5906B (resized).jpeg6C29ED5C-81D5-4CB1-A10D-8A343EF5906B (resized).jpegE9A42877-F33B-46EE-927B-6D3C5BD13547 (resized).jpegE9A42877-F33B-46EE-927B-6D3C5BD13547 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#2128 5 years ago

Hi all! I just joined the site yesterday, so am a newbie. I bought my husband (who is from the UK) a Dr Who pinball 8 years ago for a bday present. I'm the tech geek between the two of us, so I've been taking care of it. So far the only thing I've had to do was take out the mini-playfield about 6 years ago. Having some issues now again with the MP and before I dig into it I wanted to do some research and look into doing some refurbishment and mods while I'm in there this time. Looking forward to meeting other Dr Who pin lovers!

#2129 5 years ago
Quoted from Toads:

You will need to file out the four holes in the bracket to slot them.

Hi Toads

This was a response from you on adjusting the Dr Who MP when it's leaning forwards, do you have a photo that explains what it looks like to file the holes and slot them? Thanks!

#2130 5 years ago
Quoted from neemypeemy:

Hi toads
This was a response from you on adjusting the Dr Who MP when it's leaning forwards, do you have a photo that explains what it looks like to file the holes and slot them? Thanks!

This is when you add the Cliffy protectors to the mini playfield. They are large enough that you may have to file the holes so that miniplayfield is a few millimeters further back to prevent binding.

#2131 5 years ago
Quoted from davisjl1979:

This is when you add the Cliffy protectors to the mini playfield. They are large enough that you may have to file the holes so that miniplayfield is a few millimeters further back to prevent binding.

Thank you! I have the Cliffy protector and it was catching, so that's exactly why I was asking. So when you are talking about filing the holes, can you clarify which holes you're referring to? It's been 6 years since I've had the MP out so I'm just trying to imagine where they are. Or is this referring to the wholes on the Cliffy protector?

#2132 5 years ago
Quoted from neemypeemy:

So when you are talking about filing the holes, can you clarify which holes you're referring to?

MiniPlayefield bracket screws (resized).jpgMiniPlayefield bracket screws (resized).jpg
#2133 5 years ago
Quoted from neemypeemy:

Thank you! I have the Cliffy protector and it was catching, so that's exactly why I was asking. So when you are talking about filing the holes, can you clarify which holes you're referring to? It's been 6 years since I've had the MP out so I'm just trying to imagine where they are. Or is this referring to the wholes on the Cliffy protector?

Will add those cliffys too. Have the "edge protector"cliffy already and it's a right fit AND the other two cliffy need to fit in there somehow too. I reckon I will just shave 1/16 " from the time expander itself.

#2134 5 years ago

Hello Who'ers! I recently joined the club and purchased a very nice Doctor Who from @Kronlar. I have appreciated reading through this thread and the history has been so helpful. My purchase timing lined up with some 3D design and printing I have been tinkering with at the local county library. I went ahead and designed & printed some dalek pinball posts inspired by others I saw in this thread. Here's a link to the 3D design if anyone wants to print some.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3275089

IMG_5344 (resized).JPGIMG_5344 (resized).JPGIMG_5426 (resized).JPGIMG_5426 (resized).JPGIMG_5429 (resized).jpgIMG_5429 (resized).jpg
#2135 5 years ago
Quoted from cadmium:

Hello Who'ers! I recently joined the club and purchased a very nice Doctor Who from Kronlar. I have appreciated reading through this thread and the history has been so helpful. My purchase timing lined up with some 3D design and printing I have been tinkering with at the local county library. I went ahead and designed & printed some dalek pinball posts inspired by others I saw in this thread. Here's a link to the 3D design if anyone wants to print some.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3275089
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Posts look great! May try printing some in PETG material.

In the pictures it appears that contact is on the wrong side of the rubber ring. May want to check that.

#2136 5 years ago
Quoted from Catch86:

[quoted image]

Awesome thank you Catch86 !

#2137 5 years ago

Ok, so the second issue with the MP... everything works as it should until it gets to the final stage for multi-ball. As soon as the multi-ball is activated the miniplayfield just rises up and down continuously. Once you are back to only one ball in play the MP resets to it's resting position.

Hubby researched somewhere and thought a new Opto Board would fix it, so he bought this awhile back:
http://www.greatlakesmodular.com/products/pinball/dw_tbs.html

Before I go in there ripping it all out again late next week, I was hoping someone has seen this before and can advise if it is an opto board issue, or maybe something else is causing it?

#2138 5 years ago
Quoted from neemypeemy:

Before I go in there ripping it all out again late next week, I was hoping someone has seen this before and can advise if it is an opto board issue, or maybe something else is causing it?

Doubt the opto board is causing that. There's an opto at the base of the MPF that gets broken by the cam rotating.

Put the game in test and run the MPF up/down. The bottom of the test screen has a icon "beam" that represents the breaking of the beam.

If it just started happening, I bet it's a loose connector/broken wire. If that looks good, run the whole game through test. Check all switches by using a ball rather than your finger.
faz

#2139 5 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

Doubt the opto board is causing that. There's an opto at the base of the MPF that gets broken by the cam rotating.
Put the game in test and run the MPF up/down. The bottom of the test screen has a icon "beam" that represents the breaking of the beam.
If it just started happening, I bet it's a loose connector/broken wire. If that looks good, run the whole game through test. Check all switches by using a ball rather than your finger.
faz

Thanks Faz! Will give that a go tomorrow and report back.

#2140 5 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

Will add those cliffys too. Have the "edge protector"cliffy already and it's a right fit AND the other two cliffy need to fit in there somehow too. I reckon I will just shave 1/16 " from the time expander itself.

No.......... I recommend you hone the bracket slots like this

IMG_2165 (resized).JPGIMG_2165 (resized).JPG
#2141 5 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

faz

pinball_faz
Started a separate thread to help someone find to reference in the future if needed..test results here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dr-who-multiball-mp-going-up-amp-down-opto-switch-75-not-working#post-4753103

Merry Christmas all!!

#2142 5 years ago
Quoted from Fairground:

No.......... I recommend you hone the bracket slots like this[quoted image]

Dont have the mchine in front of me..but how much clearance is there behind the time expandor? I know the loop ramp is pretty close.

#2143 5 years ago

Hi @yellowghost I had to hone the brackets to allow the new mpf I purchased to sit an extra 8th of an inch back. I then ensured it sat back enough to accommodate the cliffy. You will have to hone and check as you go to suit your mpf moving. Read my thread here and I hope it makes sense https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dw-mpf-hey-cpr-my-doctor-is-not-a-dud-oddball
Cheers

#2144 5 years ago

Hi all, Pinside has Solid State in the Dr Who details page, but I thought it was DMD (1991+?) https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/doctor-who

#2145 5 years ago

Right Flipper button wiring is all hacked and need info and pictures. Thanks

Ken

#2146 5 years ago
Quoted from neemypeemy:

Hi all, Pinside has Solid State in the Dr Who details page, but I thought it was DMD (1991+?) https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/doctor-who

NM found the answer SS games came be further divided into Digital or Dot Matrix Display( DMD).

#2147 5 years ago

I have no flipper opto boards, as seen in my pics, I have the connectors, so I just want to buy new boards.and I think the metal interrupter arms. Can anyone take pics.of the connectors and boards to show me the wiring order and install pics? I see it in the schematics, but just want to know I am doing it correctly

20181227_190800 (resized).jpg20181227_190800 (resized).jpg20181227_190854 (resized).jpg20181227_190854 (resized).jpg

#2148 5 years ago

Thanks to Cadmium for the 3D Dalek model. I printed 2 and they look awesome. Great model my friend!

20181227_085805 (resized).jpg20181227_085805 (resized).jpg20181227_122932 (resized).jpg20181227_122932 (resized).jpg
#2149 5 years ago

I just picked up a Doctor Who and really excited about it. It needs some, the expander target was disassembled in a box. Praying the parts are all there.

The speaker panel has a big scratch across it, does anyone know where I can get a replacement speaker panel?

Thanks

#2150 5 years ago

Contact user "pinballvermex" he has many parts for this game. I just contacted him for parts.

Ken

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

£ 110.00
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 6,575 posts in this topic. You are on page 43 of 132.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-owners-clubtime-lords-welcome/page/43?hl=eyeamred2u and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.